IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda var. Theodora Buhler

JD in the OC

Made a trip to Fairchild recently. I don't know if this palm has been posted before, but here it is. Quite amazing!!!

lip2-1.jpg

lip1-1.jpg

lip3.jpg

• Upvote 3

Henry,

Your best bet would be to wine-and-dine the director of Fairchild and maybe you could talk him or her out of a sucker from the clump :) :)

Other than that, I've never seen one for sale...

Hi , Here in Costa Rica we have many Cyrtostachys , but I ´ve never seen one like this.

Amazing stripes !

Now I would like to warn against ripping shoots of the clump: they are very difficult to keep alive, I tried many times, and no luck.They die at the most 2 or 3 months later,and this is a 100% tropical climate...even so , trial and error .....

post-2199-1238726841_thumb.jpg

Here is a hedge made out of Cyrtos at the Golfito airport.

In thailand, we call this C. renda varieties "Apple" due to the texture pattern on the crownshaft that looks like apple skin. Someone mentioned that it's a hybrid between C. renda and C.elegans. You mentioned the name Cyrtostachys renda var. Theodora Buhler, is that an accepted name for this species?

Here is a picture of them. :)

post-72-1238729851_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Chalermchart Soorangura

Bangkok, Thailand

http://picasaweb.google.com/csoorangura/My...key=u11QvNs-qbM

Nice... only if I can find them locally...

Jose,

Removing a sucker from the clump is an art. I know some people that has great success and some just kept on killing them. I haven't tried it myself as I have never seen anything that is special enough to divide. It is just easier to go to the market and pick one up for $30.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

In all fairness, a much nicer and rarer plant was once in that space. Can anyone remember?

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Hi , Here in Costa Rica we have many Cyrtostachys , but I ´ve never seen one like this.

Amazing stripes !

Now I would like to warn against ripping shoots of the clump: they are very difficult to keep alive, I tried many times, and no luck.They die at the most 2 or 3 months later,and this is a 100% tropical climate...even so , trial and error .....

post-2199-1238726841_thumb.jpg

Here is a hedge made out of Cyrtos at the Golfito airport.

Hi Jose Maria, I haven't had any luck removing suckers either. I've tried a couple different techniques and they always die on me. It's much easier to pick up 3 gallon size clumps for $5 (or less) at my local nursery.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Which browser must I use to se JD's images? I use SeaMonkey (open source version of Netscape), and Internet Explorer (grrrr), and I see nothing. Same goes for Firefox and Safari. Nada. In IE and Safari, I see broken image links, and in SeaMonkey, I don't even see that. I see Jeff's and Jose Maria's images just fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

Aloha all,

I have heard that here in Hawai'i people have been successful in getting growing suckers of cyrtostachys removed with hardly a notice by the plant. I was told the secret is to select the portion you want to remove, and leaving everything as it is just cut most of the way through the connecting stem. Then it should be left as is with no other disturbance for six months or more. Next it is time to cut the rest of the way through the connection, and again leave all alone for some additional months. Next step is to drive a flat spade straight down through any roots connecting the two. Usually by this time the severed plant should just keep going, as the initial cuts in the connective stem will have caused the sucker to put out a large flush of its own roots. If the plant still looks fine a few weeks later it can be dug away from the mother completely and transplanted into whatever it is going to make its new home.

Garrin

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

garrin in hawaii

That sounds like it just might work garrin, thank you for the tip. Now I am just dying to know what was in its spot previously. Also, the sign doesn't indicate that it is a hybrid of C. renda and C. elegans(more like a cultivar), can anybody confirm or deny that. I guess if it is a hybrid it would make sense that the crownshaft is half orangey red and half green, it's a beautiful specimen. Some months ago I saw a yellow crownshaft C. renda on a popular auction site, but it was a bit pricey. If I ever see one again, I just might pounce.

-Michael

Hi Garrin, you are describing one of the techniques that I tried. The only difference is that I was told to cut the root (that connects the sucker to the main plant) all the way through. Then I was supposed to leave it there for a couple months before digging it out. Well, I tried it and the sucker looked healthy for about 2 months and then turned brown and died almost overnight. I will only try it again if I find a particularly red one or an unusual looking one like this var. Theodora Buhler. Cutting part way through the root makes sense. I should have done that instead of cutting all the way through. Thanks for the tip!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

That sounds like it just might work garrin, thank you for the tip. Now I am just dying to know what was in its spot previously. Also, the sign doesn't indicate that it is a hybrid of C. renda and C. elegans(more like a cultivar), can anybody confirm or deny that. I guess if it is a hybrid it would make sense that the crownshaft is half orangey red and half green, it's a beautiful specimen. Some months ago I saw a yellow crownshaft C. renda on a popular auction site, but it was a bit pricey. If I ever see one again, I just might pounce.

-Michael

Yellow one sounds nice. I wouldn't mind putting them in between my 3 red ones... I think it will be a nice contrast. And the fact that they can take full sun makes a huge a difference at my place...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Garrin,

Very interesting..I'll have to try that method.

I have always given my new seedlings a nice warm Superthrive bath before being potted up. Seems to help...

I expect Ken Johnson could give us the history on C. renda var Theodora Buhler. It should be noted that Teddy was the executive secretary of the Palm Society for many years, and pratically ran the Society. (See Memorials, Theodora Buhler).

Teddy also found a clone of Chamaedorea stolonifera growing in Germany in a botanical garden and got a sucker from it. She brought it back to the USA and propigated it and spread it around. It was thought at the time that C. stolonifera was extenct, in its native habitat, but later on a colony was found in Mexico. The Teddy Buhler clone has a different apperance with wavey fronds and is still refered to as "The Teddy Buhler clone."

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Which browser must I use to se JD's images? I use SeaMonkey (open source version of Netscape), and Internet Explorer (grrrr), and I see nothing. Same goes for Firefox and Safari. Nada. In IE and Safari, I see broken image links, and in SeaMonkey, I don't even see that. I see Jeff's and Jose Maria's images just fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Dear Doug Gavilanes :)

It seems you have an software system error,which is having trouble downloading jpeg image files into your borowoser.i recomand you to remove all the borowser and just stick with firefox for surfing.. :hmm:

And gentlemen very nice palm stills,and this is my favouriate too,i have one clump growing in our garden here.. :)

Thanks & Love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 4 weeks later...

This C. renda var. Theodora Buhler was named after Teddy Buhler. I believe she was one of the founding members of the I.P.S. Teddy served many years as the "secretary" of the I.P.S. which means she did it all! If my memory serves me correctly, this palm came from a division from her palm in her private garden. The original palm was reported to have died. There is an article in Palms (maybe Principies) by the late Howard Waddell (former IPS Treasurer) about this palm and it's history if anyone his history.

I remember Teddy buying a one gallon Cocothrinax at a South Florida Palm Society auction at the age of 89. A true palmaholic to the end!

Are there any more divisions around of Cyrtostachys renda var. Theodora Buhler? Only Ken Johnson knows for sure.

By the way, the Director of Fairchild Tropical Botanical Garden is Dr. Carl Lewis. You could not wine and dine him for a sucker. Endow all his scientist's reserach for the next ten years, then I think he may consider.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

You and 10,000 other palmaholics would want that if one existed :drool:

When are you guys going to trade a kidney for a palm? :)

Dick

Richard Douglas

In all fairness, a much nicer and rarer plant was once in that space. Can anyone remember?

I'll give it a go. Let's see, nicer and rarer.....it certainly has to be a Washingtonia robusta. Those are almost impossible to hunt down. ;)

Fill us in Christian. What used to be there?

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Christian - Was that where the Welfia regia resided? :rolleyes:

When are you guys going to trade a kidney for a palm? :)

Dick

:lol:

What is your blood type? :D

:lol:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

What is your blood type? :D

:floor:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 8 years later...
15 hours ago, Hillizard said:

ICYMI: A small Cyrtostachys renda ‘Theodora Buhler' is in active bidding on eBay right now (June 30,2017).
Here's an article about it: http://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2002/vol46n2p70-72.pdf  Unfortunately, alerting everyone to this means I'll probably be outbid! :angry:

C_renda.png

Looks nice on this front page. Sadly my seeds never germinated... i gave up with this beauty

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jeff_Cabinda said:

Looks nice on this front page. Sadly my seeds never germinated... i gave up with this beauty

Too bad you never got seedlings. I wonder if the stem color trait of this cultivar is dominant and whether offspring would develop exactly like the parent plant? And if it's a hybrid of  Cyrtostachys  species, could that possibly mean a bit more cold tolerance? I also wonder if eBay is a scam... I mean, how do we know if employees/friends of a seller are deliberately (anonymously) bidding up the price of a desirable plant to a certain point to get the eventual buyer to pay more? :huh:

Edited by Hillizard

On 6/30/2017, 12:26:21, Hillizard said:

ICYMI: A small Cyrtostachys renda ‘Theodora Buhler' is in active bidding on eBay right now (June 30,2017).
Here's an article about it: http://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2002/vol46n2p70-72.pdf  Unfortunately, alerting everyone to this means I'll probably be outbid! :angry:

C_renda.png

Some one got it for $110. What a steal!

On 7/2/2017, 5:26:01, cagary said:

Some one got it for $110. What a steal!

I suspect you're being facetious? $110 for a 6-inch seedling of unknown provenance, that may or may not develop true to form, is a bit of a gamble, along with the ongoing challenge of providing it with optimal growing conditions. Still, a collector is a collector and I've grown (and am growing) plants that may or may not ever flower and/or develop to maturity. I'll just have to wait and see how this one does... ;)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017, 1:33:18, Hillizard said:

Here's a hint... ;)

Cyrostachys.jpg

I'm SO GLAD someone from here got it!! I was tempted to bid as well, but I waited too long, darnit! After shelling out $150 for a Sabinaria magnifica seedling, $110 isn't so bad :huh: I can't wait to see updates!! :yay: Like, can we get photo updates....NOW?! Please?? :innocent:

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

On 7/28/2017, 9:02:05, Missi said:

I'm SO GLAD someone from here got it!! I was tempted to bid as well, but I waited too long, darnit! After shelling out $150 for a Sabinaria magnifica seedling, $110 isn't so bad :huh: I can't wait to see updates!! :yay: Like, can we get photo updates....NOW?! Please?? :innocent:

I have little growth progress to report on this palm at the moment. It's got one new leaf emerging but it's very slow.  I'm keeping it in my sunroom, in a saucer with water, warm and in a high-humidity enclosure (not hard to do where I live, esp. during the summer!). At this rate I suspect it'll be years before it develops any mature coloring. I think your Sabinaria magnifica will display its beauty much, much sooner! ;)

Edited by Hillizard
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Hillizard said:

I have little growth progress to report on this palm at the moment. It's got one new leaf emerging but it's very slow.  I'm keeping it in my sunroom, in a saucer with water, warm and in a high-humidity enclosure (not hard to do where I live, esp. during the summer!). At this rate I suspect it'll be years before it develops any mature coloring. I think your Sabinaria magnifica will display its beauty much, much sooner! ;)

Well, I'm not sure! I got my plain ol' C. renda last summer and it was about the same size as your Theodora. It is just now starting to peek out its first blush, but I don't suspect I'll have a fully-red crownshaft for at least another year...okay, so maybe you're right in your "years" estimate lol Well, I don't plan on leaving PT in the coming years so my request still stands...please share photos! ^_^

• Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm: