IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BRAZIL - April 2010

bgl

Hi Floridians,

Please start thinking about a Biennial in Florida. The last U.S. Biennial was in 1996 in California. I have been a member of the IPS since 1988 and I missed the meeting in Florida in 1992. The only gardens I have seen in Florida are Fairchild, Montgomery and by invitation, Charlie and Brenda Beck's garden. I would love to see some of the beautiful palms that we see in pictures on Palm Talk. There are palm lovers all over who would love to see what all of you have planted.

Sue R.

Suzanne Rowlands

Sue,

I couldn't agree more. The last time it was held here, was the fall of 1992. It was my first biennial and even though Hurricane Andrew hit the Miami area prior to the biennial, it was still a very good and well run event. A few changes had to be made, but there was still plenty of gardens to visit. After Brazil, then Thailand will host in 2012 and after that, it's anyone's guess.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A Biennial in Florida is definitely a great idea! Even though I seem to recall the last U.S. Biennial was in Hawaii in 2004... :huh: Oh, well....

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo - are there any updates on potential Pre and Post tours to the Biennel in Brazil?

Kindest regards,

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ron,

First, we need to get the basics in place for the Biennial, and come up with a budget and expected cost per attendee. That being said, the trip to Amazonas arranged by Andrew Henderson looks likely to be a PRE-tour. There's also the possibility of a post tour to Uruguay. Elena Baere (IPS Director from Uruguay) made a presentation when we met in Belize in March, and that should also be a very nice trip. Quite different from the Amazonas trip, obviously!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

It's now thankfully less than a year away. I can hardly wait!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It's now thankfully less than a year away. I can hardly wait!

You are very fortunate, Ray, that you have something this special to look forward to! I'm too poor to afford both the time off work, and the funds needed, but maybe after Thailand, they'll pick a closer (and cheaper!) destination. That would be so very wonderful. I'll pray for that, indeed.

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Bo, do we have a handle on the cost yet? I've looked through the threads and I haven't noticed any cost discussions yet. Any sense of how it'll compare (cost wise) to the last one in Costa Rica?

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Kathryn, it's not that different from Spanish.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Ray,

An interesting thing that I have noticed over the years is that Brazilians tend not to have much trouble understanding Spanish, but many Spanish speakers tend to have difficulty understanding much Portuguese. I speak both languages and when I am in environments where both are being spoken I tend to mix all kinds of things up. Like answering in Portuguese to the Spanish speaker and vice versa. And, then when I have English in the mix it gets worse.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

My spanish is limited, portuguese is nil. The main issue is that this Biennel has the potential to be a fabulous memorable event. :drool:

Yesterday I attended the Palm I.D. Party hosted by Tree Zoo Jerry in Deerfield B) . The attendees spent alot of time discussing the Brazillian Biennel. 11 months and counting, I can't wait. :blink:

Ron.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just curious, and maybe one of the board members can answer this. Recently, and on more than one occassion, friends have stated that they just might not be able to afford the biennial to Brazil, which is really inching it's way closer. And that they would skip Brazil,(choose one over the other) and wait until Thailand.

So, my question is, is there a minimum of attendees that must register to make "Brazil" happen? If so, what numbers are we looking at? This economy is just really awful now and I would hate to think worst case senario.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

That's not really an option that's been discussed (minimum number of participants needed). Looking back over the last 15 years or so, the least number of participants we've had have been around 115-120 (New Caledonia and French Riviera come to mind). New Caledonia probably because it was a bit more expensive than the average Biennial and the French Riviera because many IPS members probably perceived it as less interesting from a palm point of view. We had just over 180 in Costa Rica. My guess is that even in a 'worst case scenario' we're going to get more than 100 participants for the Rio Biennial. And hopefully many more than that. There are quite a few who really make this a priority and will attend, almost no matter what.

Bo-Göran

Have fun carefree folks! You'll have a blast. Too bad us shleppers eeking out a meager living won't be there to celebrate the good life with y'all!

Paul

Jeff,

That's not really an option that's been discussed (minimum number of participants needed). Looking back over the last 15 years or so, the least number of participants we've had have been around 115-120 (New Caledonia and French Riviera come to mind). New Caledonia probably because it was a bit more expensive than the average Biennial and the French Riviera because many IPS members probably perceived it as less interesting from a palm point of view. We had just over 180 in Costa Rica. My guess is that even in a 'worst case scenario' we're going to get more than 100 participants for the Rio Biennial. And hopefully many more than that. There are quite a few who really make this a priority and will attend, almost no matter what.

Bo-Göran

I'd like to make the affair a priority too, but anything more than a $2000.00 total for two people is out of the question.

Paul

Can we keep this on topic as to the happenings of the trip to Brazil? We all know its tough times out there and some are doing better than others, or some just have different priorities, so lets leave it at that and get back to talk about this trip!!!

I for one am very excited to be going on my first Biennial!!!

Rob

Aloha Palm Talk pals – the 2008 IPS Biennial in Costa Rica was my first, and I am grateful to have had that opportunity to meet so many wonderful Palm People and to see some amazing palms.

The April 2010 IPS Biennial in Brazil sounds very exciting. I’m reviewing air fares to get an idea of what that portion of the total trip expense might be for me, either with or without the Pre and Post Biennial excursions.

Today I did some air fare lookup searches on various sites including United Airlines, American Airlines, Orbitz, Travelocity and Expedia. As an example of what I found in my searches for air fare from Kona, today Expedia offered the best deals from Kona for either RT from Kona KOA to Rio GIG ($1,673.70), or RT “Multi-City” Kona KOA to Montevideo MVD to Rio GIG ($1,898.70).

For the 2008 Kona to Costa Rica trip there was not much variability in RT air fare price for the same itinerary / same travel dates when I searched many different airline booking sites on the same day over a period of several months before booking my trip. I was quite surprised today to see that some well-known airline booking sites I searched for their “best deal air fare price” are charging at least $2,000 more than Expedia is charging for the very same itinerary and the very same travel dates. Perhaps the chaotic global economy is the reason for this large price variation among different airline booking sites.

Do any of you who have done recent international travel and compared airline booking sites have suggestions for airline booking sites that currently seem to offer you the best prices for the same travel itinerary and travel dates? If so, please share the info with me.

Mahalo from Dan Ashley (KONADANTOM) on “the Big Island” of Hawai’i (Danni en “la Isla Grande” de Hawai’i)

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Hi Dan,

I haven't checked yet for Rio, but I had better luck for Costa Rica going directly to the airline web site, in that case American. It was significantly cheaper than all prices offered on Orbitz and Expedia at the time. I don't know much about how to get great deals on airfare, hoping someone will weigh in with a magic formula. :)

Cheers,

Kim

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I check airfares all the time since I have to leave Costa Rica every 90 days and I'm constantly looking for deals for my next trip out of the country. I have tried those discount airfare sites but I have always found a much better price by going directly to the airline website. When I'm getting ready to buy a ticket I check the airline websites mutliple times per day as fares can change at any time. I recently flew roundtrip between Costa Rica and Philadelphia and I paid $340 round trip. I just bought another roundtrip ticket to Tampa (for my next trip to the US) and I paid $287. In each case I bought the ticket directly from the airline and got a much better price than what some of the so called "discount" sites were offering.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Can we keep this on topic as to the happenings of the trip to Brazil? We all know its tough times out there and some are doing better than others, or some just have different priorities, so lets leave it at that and get back to talk about this trip!!!

I for one am very excited to be going on my first Biennial!!!

Rob

Rob - Your comments are well received!

Ron. :)

I just looked on expedia.com tickets from miami to Rio, roundtrip is about $650 a ticket!!! not too bad at all. Will be interesting to see how many people sign up. I fell the economy is starting to turn, at least in my business! I hope its the same for the rest!

Rob

I just checked flights to get an idea of costs: best deal on Expedia was on Continental, San Diego to GIG, $2,185, ouch! If I fly from Los Angeles, $1,851. Then I checked American; a longer flight by 2 hours, an extra stop, but only $1,132 San Diego to GIG. Probably worth the hassle. Wish we knew the final pre- and post-trip offerings and dates.

Does anyone know if Andrew Henderson will lead a pre- or post-trip on the Amazon? That would be so hot...

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

That's being planned as a pre-tour. Have to check for specific dates.

Kim,

If you stop by here I will take you out to jump in the river. Brazil is a very big country and getting to Manaus can be done either going round trip from Rio, which is a 5 hour trip since you have to stop in Brasilia (3 1/2 hours non stop from Sao Paulo) or using an open jaw fare which would come into Brazil via Rio and leave via Manaus. There are three options from Manaus to the USA, Tam to Miami, Delta to Atlanta (daily for both), anc Copa via Panama 4 days a week. Tam has a fare called the Brazil airpass that is availalbe for non residents of Brazil with the cheapest fare allowing four stops. You can see more information here Tam Brazil Air Pass, This would be probably the cheapest way to come and go from Rio. The normal round trip air fares Rio MAO round trip run around 700 USD normally, depending on the season. But, sometimes there are specials which are cheaper. The non stop trip to Miami from Manaus is five hours and to Atlanta six hours. TAM has a code share agreement with United and in fact the MIA MAO flight also has a UA flight number. So, United may be an intersting option if Manaus is in the itinerary. In May with advance booking the fares from Miami to Manaus should be around 700 USD round trip which may even be a little more expensive than the round trip fares MIA RIO.

The Negro River is nearly at its highest point in May which is a good time to visit the flooded forest. You can go back many miles in a canoe into the forest this time of year.

But, it is still the rainy season, so it can rain a lot. Next year may not be as wet as this year. But, May was real wet here.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I just checked flights from my usual hubs (Houston, Atlanta and Miami) and Miami is the cheapest - $630 on TAM. A round trip ticket from New Orleans to Rio via Miami is about $900, which is not bad at all. Houston was about $1100 and Atlanta about $1300.

I just realized the flight from Miami to Rio is over 9 hours. No problem though - the flight to Rio is overnight. I don't think I will be upgrading to business class - that would more than triple the ticket price. Maybe I can rack up some points between now and then.

Kathryn,

The flight is actually a little shorter, Miami is 2 time zones different from Rio during the period of the year where neither place has daylight time. When Miami is on daylight Rio is not. So, the difference goes to 1 hours, which I think is the case in May.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Glad to hear the information for the Biennial has finally been released. It would be great if the information was also available on the website now for those of us who have to wait up to a month for the journal to make its way to our part of the world.

Kylie

Australia

Kylie

Central Queensland, Australia

Practically on the Tropic of Capricorn - lots of heat and little rain

Actually, it's still very basic information, with not too many specifics (except for the dates), but we should still make sure the IPS website has all the information that's in the Supplement of the current issue of PALMS. I'll make sure it gets uploaded as soon as possible. Thanks for alerting me.

Bo-Göran

Does anyone have any comments or experience with TAM Brazilian Airlines ?

They do have the best rate. American Airlines starts at $1001

Yes, I noticed TAM for $591 MIA to RIO (Departing on Friday April 16th, arriving Sat am.)

I just checked flights from my usual hubs (Houston, Atlanta and Miami) and Miami is the cheapest - $630 on TAM. A round trip ticket from New Orleans to Rio via Miami is about $900, which is not bad at all. Houston was about $1100 and Atlanta about $1300.

I just realized the flight from Miami to Rio is over 9 hours. No problem though - the flight to Rio is overnight. I don't think I will be upgrading to business class - that would more than triple the ticket price. Maybe I can rack up some points between now and then.

Post Trip to Iguassu Falls

Do do you know how many extra nights should we plan for to take the trip to Iguassu ?

Just sent you a PM, with a 'cc' to Elena in Uruguay. Elena is involved with the planning, so she should be able to help out.

Never flew TAM but they have a very new fleet. I believe Don in Manaus may be able to provide specific info and experience.

Kim,

If you stop by here I will take you out to jump in the river. Brazil is a very big country and getting to Manaus can be done either going round trip from Rio, which is a 5 hour trip since you have to stop in Brasilia (3 1/2 hours non stop from Sao Paulo) or using an open jaw fare which would come into Brazil via Rio and leave via Manaus. There are three options from Manaus to the USA, Tam to Miami, Delta to Atlanta (daily for both), anc Copa via Panama 4 days a week. Tam has a fare called the Brazil airpass that is availalbe for non residents of Brazil with the cheapest fare allowing four stops. You can see more information here Tam Brazil Air Pass, This would be probably the cheapest way to come and go from Rio. The normal round trip air fares Rio MAO round trip run around 700 USD normally, depending on the season. But, sometimes there are specials which are cheaper. The non stop trip to Miami from Manaus is five hours and to Atlanta six hours. TAM has a code share agreement with United and in fact the MIA MAO flight also has a UA flight number. So, United may be an intersting option if Manaus is in the itinerary. In May with advance booking the fares from Miami to Manaus should be around 700 USD round trip which may even be a little more expensive than the round trip fares MIA RIO.

The Negro River is nearly at its highest point in May which is a good time to visit the flooded forest. You can go back many miles in a canoe into the forest this time of year.

But, it is still the rainy season, so it can rain a lot. Next year may not be as wet as this year. But, May was real wet here.

dk

Just saw this -- great info Don. I will check it out. Jumping into the Amazon is on my 'to do' list, thanks!

Kim Cyr

Don´t worry Kim. Pacu are a relative of the piranha and are no threat at all. Piranhas occaision bit somebody, but not a problem either. You are in more danger of getting hit by a drunk running around the river on a jet ski than getting biten by a fish.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

From LAX, TAM is $1,841.80 USD, via JFK (UA codeshare). From LAX, COPA is $1,691.40 USD, via Panama City. Prices are RT, 2 pax economy. Honestly, if I had to choose, I'd rather make the stop-over in Panama for a couple of hours, than spend between 4 and 12 hours at JFK, which isn't getting me any closer to Brasil than from where I started hours earlier. Don, what vaccinations are recommended/required for travel into the Amazonas?

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

Doug - You may want to check into taking a flight on Southwest to Houston or Fort Lauderdale and then switching to another airline - you may have to take a cab from Hobby to Bush or Ft Lauderdale to Miami, but you could save $500 or more by doing so.

Kathryn, I might have misunderstood what you meant. I read here that HOU-GIG was running about $1,100 round trip, per passenger. I'd still have to buy two connecting round trip tickets from LAX to HOU, above and beyond the $1,100 per person for the US-Brazil leg. TAM from LAX to GIG is $920.90 per passenger ($1,841.80 round trip for two), and COPA from LAX to GIG is $820.70 per passenger ($1,691.40 round trip for two).

Doug Gavilanes

Garden Grove, CA.

Zone 10A (10B on really good days...)

Doug,

As to vaccinantions you will need yellow fever for sure. We do have endemic malaria and you might want to take malaria pills. As I live here taking the pills is worse than the disease, but that is not the case for short term visits.

As to Copa I think that this is a good option. If an Amazonas stop is in the trip Copa has 5 day per week service from Manaus to Panama. I have taken the flight and it is fine.

As to TAM. TAM is the largest airline in Brazil today and has good service. I fly TAM all the time. Their fleet is mostly new airbus equipment.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg