IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

BRAZIL - April 2010

bgl

As most of you know by now, the next Biennial will be in Rio de Janeiro in Brazil in April 2010. During the IPS Board meeting at DuPlooy's Jungle Lodge in Belize last week, this was our number one issue, and all aspects were discussed. Some of the more important pieces of information:

Official arrival date will be Saturday, April 17, with the welcome dinner that same evening.

Exact itinerary is still to be worked out, but it goes without saying that the Rio Botanic Garden will be one of our main destinations. Jill Menzel, who is an IPS Director, has a large ranch about 90 minutes away, with palms in habitat, a garden as well as Golden Tamarind monkeys in their native habitat. This will be an all day excursion.

John DeMott (Chair of the Biennial Committee) and Jill Menzel are currently negotiating with a hotel, and until we have a contract in place I can't divulge any more details about the accomodations, except to say that the plan is for the entire group to stay at the same hotel for the duration of the Biennial.

Farewell dinner is planned for Friday April 23, with departures the next day - either back home or for post-tours. Hopefully, we'll have a post-tour organized by Andrew Henderson to the Amazon. This still needs to be worked out by Andrew, once we have the hotel contract in place (i.e. firm dates for the Biennial itself). Another post-tour is planned to Uruguay (by Elenae Baere of Uruguay. Elena is also an IPS Director).

We anticipate having a rough budget (and hotel contract) in place during the second half of April, in order for that information to be included in the June issue of Palms (deadline: first week of May 2009). We should then also be able to have a general idea of what the registration fee will be. We intend to have a discounted, early registration, just like we did for Costa Rica. The early registration for CR was $150 less per person. The September issue of PALMS, to be mailed out in mid September, will have all the registration details, and at that time we will also begin accepting registrations, and in all likelihood with a discounted rate for the first couple of months. (This is still to be discussed and decided).

We would certainly like to see registration fees remain at the same level that they were for Costa Rica, but this may not be possible. At this point we simply have to wait and see. Much depends on the hotel contract and transportation costs.

Feel free to ask questions!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Sounds good Bo! Were any other itinerary options discussed? Are there several options that you're trying to narrow down, or are the Botanic garden and Jill's ranch the only ideas at this point?

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Oh, there are definitely a number of other places on the proposed itinerary. The Burle Marx garden for instance, and several others. I just didn't want to get too much into specifics this early. We'll get to that once we have the hotel contract in place and can focus on the program for each day. Currently, the last day (Friday April 23) is planned as "free time", while we have organized excursions planned for all the other five days (Sunday through Thursday).

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

Thanks for the update! It's starting to sound and look like it will be an interesting and informative week. I'm sure Jill will go out of her way to make our visit to her ranch an exciting one.

I just hope the economy will improve so everyone that's thinking or planning on coming will be able to. Keep us posted.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The excitement is beginning to build as the details come out. I will have to be financially well organized as my wife said "Brazil, Rio? I think I would like to come" So that means double of $everything!

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

I wish i can come on this one,especially if there is a post trip to Amazon,i would more than love to come if budget allows :drool:

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

I'm glad everything is being carefully planned in advance and hopefully we'll have a great biennial. I hope to be able to attend it with my wife too but I'm not sure yet, since we had an invitation to travel to Spain for a friends family celebration in April 2010.

I've heard a lot about Jill's property in Rio. She is a very good friend of Hermínio Simões who also has a wonderful palm collection in Guaratiba, bordering an Atlantic forest preserve.

I missed meeting her last year when we visited Rio because I guess she was in California at that time. I believe she is one of the few collectors in Brazil who grows Lodoicea maldivica, germinated from seed by Hermínio a few years ago.

I guess it's important to contact the Directors of the Jardim Botânico in advance and ask for a planned guided tour of the palm collection and the other facilities. It is a tradition there to celebrate important visits and events by planting a new tree in the garden. Prince Charles and Camilla have just visited there and planted a nice Tabebuia tree (Ipê) next to the Botanical Museum. I'm sure our President Bo will be asked to plant a nice palm seedling in order to celebrate the IPS visit next year too...

post-157-1237559143_thumb.jpg

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Cari & I will definitely be there.... can't wait....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like it would be great to go to. Something truly unique.

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Awesome. Glad I didn't buy a new house in the last few years, I can still afford to go! How are the buses being dilineated i. e. by color (DR) remember the Green Bus or by Number (CR) the infamous Bus #4.

What is the national brew there? How does one say beer in Portugese???

My stimulus check is going towards the Biennel in Brazil !

The Palms will be spectacular !!!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Paul & I plan on attending - it will be my belated birthday trip!!!

Whatever the color or number, we want to be on the "wild, party bus" with the crazy Floridians - that would be the Glock's and the Searle's to be specific!!!

Look forward to seeing all my "palm nuts"!!

Queen of Bling!

Judy Norris

There is a rumor down here that Jeff and Jim are being "deported" from the State of Florida.

Their only saving grace is Andrea and Judy!

Look forward to seeing you and Paul in Brazil 2010 !!!

Awesome. Glad I didn't buy a new house in the last few years, I can still afford to go! How are the buses being dilineated i. e. by color (DR) remember the Green Bus or by Number (CR) the infamous Bus #4.

The national drink is Cachaça and beer is CERVEJA, or you can always say, Me da uma geladinha por favor.

I hope to see you there. The global crisis has arrived in Brazil. But, it does not seem to have impacted the beaches or the beer consumption. Cachaça is made from sugar cane mash and is somewhat similar to rum. It is normally consumed by many tourists in a lemon and sugar drink called a Caipirinha. I classified Cachaça as the national drink as it is the alcholic beverage most consumed by the widest range of people who drink especially those of lower income which make up the majority of Brazil´s population. A bottle of 51 cachaça the largest seller costs about 3 USD for a liter. Of course you can get much more refined cachaça made mostly in Minas Gerais and aged in oak barrels which can range from 20 USD to 200 USD a liter. In Brazil there is no effective control on distilling spirits so anyone can make cachaça that has the equipment and wants to.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don, I am looking forward to drinking Caipirinha's in Brazil... although 3 is my limit. After the third one I find it hard to stand up. :blink: They are popular drinks here as well.

I assume Cachaça is similar to our Guaro (Cacique) in Costa Rica?

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff - you can consume 3 liters of Cachaca? That would kill me! Don't worry, I am sure that Jim Glock will keep up with you.

This biennel has the potential to rival the Costa Rica Biennel (which would be quite a feat).

dk - How much does the Cerveja cost in $US?

Brazil 2010!!!

3 liters? I would pass out! I was talking about Caipirinha's which are drinks made from guaro, lime juice and sugar - at least that's how they are made in Costa Rica. They are Brazilian drinks and I'm sure they are even better when made the traditional way that Don described. I have a feeling it will be a popular beverage at the next biennial!

Jeff - you can consume 3 liters of Cachaca? That would kill me! Don't worry, I am sure that Jim Glock will keep up with you.

This biennel has the potential to rival the Costa Rica Biennel (which would be quite a feat).

dk - How much does the Cerveja cost in $US?

Brazil 2010!!!

Ron,

You can buy local cerveja at the supermarkets here for + - US$ 0.85 a long neck bottle, ~US$ 1.20 the best european imported ones. This price can double or triple in restaurants and bars...

The most popular beer labels in Brazil are called Antarctica, Brahma and Skol and they are all made by the same (huge) company called AMBEV. It is actually the same conglomerate company that bought Budweiser in US last year, in association with the Belgians, 50% for each...

Cachaça, as Don mentioned, is still the national drink...but anywhere you can order Caipirinha made of vodka (Caipirovska) and also rum (Caipiríssima) using the same process and recipe.

My fav drink is, of course, Whiscoco...scotch on the coconut water rocks...only 1 dose every friday night though... :winkie:

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gileno - thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated.

Be careful, you might get recruited to the party bus.

:drool: Brazil 2010 !!!

Ronald,

A beeer costs anywhere from 1 to 3 USD depending on where you consume it. Brazilians like real cold beer. And, in Rio the draft beer is quite good and normally real cold.

Jeff,

I caipirinha is pretty much as you described it. I have mine with no sugar. So, it is just lime and cachça, or vodka (caipiroska). The lime is smashed in the glass normally with the sugar and then the cachaça is added. You can also get caipirinhas with other fruit like kiwi, passion fruit, etc.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The national drink is Cachaça and beer is CERVEJA, or you can always say, Me da uma geladinha por favor.

I hope to see you there. The global crisis has arrived in Brazil. But, it does not seem to have impacted the beaches or the beer consumption. Cachaça is made from sugar cane mash and is somewhat similar to rum. It is normally consumed by many tourists in a lemon and sugar drink called a Caipirinha. I classified Cachaça as the national drink as it is the alcholic beverage most consumed by the widest range of people who drink especially those of lower income which make up the majority of Brazil´s population. A bottle of 51 cachaça the largest seller costs about 3 USD for a liter. Of course you can get much more refined cachaça made mostly in Minas Gerais and aged in oak barrels which can range from 20 USD to 200 USD a liter. In Brazil there is no effective control on distilling spirits so anyone can make cachaça that has the equipment and wants to.

dk

Don,

I look forward to our visit in Brazil, it's been a long time since we last talked at the nursery here. It will be my first time there. And I especially look forward to visiting with my good friend, Jill. I have heard so much about her garden.

And thanks to the Glocks, Caipirinha drinks are a big favorite around here when guest and friends come by the house. :)

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have a confirmed dates? What about pre and post trips? I know plans are being worked on and formulated. Please post as soon as there are dates. I need to put in for time off from work. If I end up in Brazil for three weeks, I need to start begging for approval of the time off now!

Thanks

Ron.

Should be any day now, and believe me, as soon as we have more information it will be posted here without delay. That being said, the period we're aiming for is April 17-24, 2010, and it's probably safe to assume that this is when the next Biennial will take place. But until we have a hotel contract signed nothing can be considered definite. We are currently looking at Henderson's Amazon trip as a pre-tour. But again, everything depends on the hotel contract. Stay tuned....! :)

Bo - thank you for your prompt reply! :)

Your usual courtesy is appreciated.

Kindest regards, :D

Ron.

I just don't see how guys making $50,000.00 with two kids, a $200,000.00 home mortgage, a $400.00 car payment and another $2000.00 a month for things like water & sewer; telephone , Cable TV; prescription medicines, gas for the car, etc., etc. can go to Bi-ennials that are far away from home, and be away from home for several weeks. It hurts me to feel so separated from the "core group" that enjoys these affairs almost all the time.

I'm sure that so many working people feel very extraordinarily poor when we read of all the trips & comraderie that is enjoyed by the attendees.

I'll never be able to afford a Bi-Ennial and I love & live for being among palms; grow palms, and think about little else but palms. I guess life treats some people well, and others get their reward after death (and I'm not religious,) but that's the only way I feel a bit less depressed about missing things like a wonderful & exotic Bi-ennial affair!

Maybe my luck will change in time for Rio but I wouldn't count on it.

Sorry I had to be a wet blanket, but this really makes me feel so sad, and so very separated.

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Paul,

Believe me, it's still hard for alot of us (including me) when we make these trips. I'm very lucky to have other family members to keep the nursery running while I'm away. I know many people mention that they try real hard to save a little money months and months in advance to help in the cost when the trip finally arrives.

I am also constantly reminded by my wife that life can be extreamly short. She deals with cancer patients every week and most days can be very emotional dealing with their family members. So for us, we try to the best of our abilities to live live to the fullest, have fun, enjoy our friends, and take trips when possible.

I truely hope that someday you will be able to take one of these trips and experience everything the biennials have to offer.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hi, Jeff:

I know how much attending even a single Bi-Ennial would enhance mu awe for the wonderful palms of the world.

I guess that I will try my best to save up, and try and set my work schedule "before" & "after." There's still a bit of time to plan but I think that I'll need to pull a few "miracles" out of my hat!!

Thanks for the encouragement, Jeff!

Paul

Jeff - Andrea is so on. Life is very precious and unpredictable, you got to live it!

Paul - I do not know your income situation (self-employed?). I recieve a pay check every other week. I claim 0 excemptions so I get a decent income tax return. The Biennels come approximately every 18-24 months. Two income tax returns saved usually covers most of the cost of the Biennel.

I am not disaplined so this is a formula that has worked for me.

You got 11 months to make it happen. Would love for you to attend. You will not be disappointted if this Biennel is anythng like the last.

Missed Thailand years ago and am still lamenting about that decision.

Kindest regards,

Ron.

Dear Paul -- I know you've had some serious physical difficulties recently, but please don't let this color your view of the Biennials. When I first became aware of them, I saw three come and go before I was able to manage the travel, and even then, my husband wasn't able to join me. :( At this point, many, if not most, are weighing the difficult economy versus spending on the luxury of a trip to Brazil.

Should we feel sad because we don't live in elegant magazine-worthy homes, or because we don't drive exotic cars? Should we feel hurt because we don't have front-row seats to Laker games or excluded because we never fly first-class? Am I second class because I don't own property in Panama? That mind-set is of one's own making. Adult logic tells us we can't have everything we wish for, not even palm trips to far-away locations. It really is true, there is no free lunch. But Ron's and Andrea's logic is very clear, if something is a big enough priority, one might be able to pull it off, probably not every year, but maybe at least once.

Even if it turns out I can't go to Brazil, I'll be very excited for those who can be enriched by the experience, and will look forward to the fantastic coverage of the excursions here on Palmtalk. Because of this fantastic ability to share palm news and information around the world even as it unfolds, we are all enriched. I get a thrill out of seeing friends I've made on this board having a blast enjoying palms; Jack and Lindsey's current expedition to Australia, for example, or closer to home, the Jungle Music sale I missed. I hope you will reconsider your view and come to appreciate the fact that the opportunity even exists, thanks to the tireless efforts of the IPS officers and directors. I am just now learning what an amazingly huge, complex endeavor it is to arrange every detail of these trips!

Cheers,

Kim

P.S. I'm trying to make it a weekly habit to visit your site and click on the ads -- something I never do anywhere else! All the best to you.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Jeff - Andrea is so on. Life is very precious and unpredictable, you got to live it!

Paul - I do not know your income situation (self-employed?). I recieve a pay check every other week. I claim 0 excemptions so I get a decent income tax return. The Biennels come approximately every 18-24 months. Two income tax returns saved usually covers most of the cost of the Biennel.

I am not disaplined so this is a formula that has worked for me.

You got 11 months to make it happen. Would love for you to attend. You will not be disappointted if this Biennel is anythng like the last.

Missed Thailand years ago and am still lamenting about that decision.

Kindest regards,

Ron.

Your wisdom is "right on," Ron. Our timeline is short, indeed! It's a shame that so many other necessary expenses compete for the checkbooks' available $$$. I don't even dare to go to the dentist's office as I know that I face a 3 grand bill after he adds up all my "problem areas." That's just one example of a worthy expenditure.

I can always hope for the best, and I certainly can enjoy the photos of members' experiences! Maybe we'll have a Bi-Ennial in Florida (or somewhere in North America) in a few years; that would save on plane fare!

Thanks Ron, for your expressing your wonderful enthusiasm; I can enjoy the Bi-Ennial through your eyes, anyway!

Paul

Maybe we'll have a Bi-Ennial in Florida (or somewhere in North America) in a few years; that would save on plane fare!

Interesting thought. Has Florida ever hosted a Biennial before?

Jeff,

Yes, Florida has indeed hosted Biennials, but it's been a while. Most recently in 1992 and apparently it was planned for the fall of 1992. It so happened that Hurricane Andrew struck in August 1992. I'm fairly certain the Biennial still took place, but that was just before I became active so not sure of the details. Could find out, though. And before that (in the 1980s), the Biennials apparently alternated more or less back and forth between CA and FL with HI thrown in on a few occasions.

And Kim is making some excellent points. Obviously I don't know this for a fact, but my guess would be that a very small number of Biennial participants are independently wealthy. The rest of us (=the overwhelming majority) will, at varying degrees, have to budget and plan ahead for a major expense like this.

I have an announcement for Brazil, but will make that in a separate post.

Bo-Göran

I can now announce that 17-24 April, 2010, is definite, and this is the week when our next Biennial will take place. The welcome dinner will be Saturday evening, 17 April, 2010 at Windsor Barra Hotel in Rio de Janeiro.

The Windsor Barra Hotel has been secured for the entire week of 17-24 April. This is a beautiful hotel right by the beach. You can check it out by going to their site: www.windsorhoteis.com Please note, that's the letter "i" in "hoteis" (not "hotels"). Windsor has a number of hotels in the Rio area, so you need to click on the Windsor Barra name fter you pull up the site.

Any questions, let me know! :)

Outstanding Bo. You do an exceptional job at keeping us informed with the continuing developments.

Thank you! :)

Kindest regards,

Ron.

Great hotel spot, I can only dream about going unfortunately.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Dear Paul -- I know you've had some serious physical difficulties recently, but please don't let this color your view of the Biennials. When I first became aware of them, I saw three come and go before I was able to manage the travel, and even then, my husband wasn't able to join me. :( At this point, many, if not most, are weighing the difficult economy versus spending on the luxury of a trip to Brazil.

Should we feel sad because we don't live in elegant magazine-worthy homes, or because we don't drive exotic cars? Should we feel hurt because we don't have front-row seats to Laker games or excluded because we never fly first-class? Am I second class because I don't own property in Panama? That mind-set is of one's own making. Adult logic tells us we can't have everything we wish for, not even palm trips to far-away locations. It really is true, there is no free lunch. But Ron's and Andrea's logic is very clear, if something is a big enough priority, one might be able to pull it off, probably not every year, but maybe at least once.

Even if it turns out I can't go to Brazil, I'll be very excited for those who can be enriched by the experience, and will look forward to the fantastic coverage of the excursions here on Palmtalk. Because of this fantastic ability to share palm news and information around the world even as it unfolds, we are all enriched. I get a thrill out of seeing friends I've made on this board having a blast enjoying palms; Jack and Lindsey's current expedition to Australia, for example, or closer to home, the Jungle Music sale I missed. I hope you will reconsider your view and come to appreciate the fact that the opportunity even exists, thanks to the tireless efforts of the IPS officers and directors. I am just now learning what an amazingly huge, complex endeavor it is to arrange every detail of these trips!

Cheers,

Kim

P.S. I'm trying to make it a weekly habit to visit your site and click on the ads -- something I never do anywhere else! All the best to you.

Thank you, Kim, for letting me look at things from a different perspective; I needed that! (It now looks like there's a small bleeding area in my brain, which is causing my blacking out & falling, so I'm going back to the hospital again next week.) I haven't worked regular hours for months now and the red ink is hurting. I think that the Panama property might have to get sold off (or a portion of it anyway.) I didn't plan that one so well. That does take a pretty steady infusion of money! It needs all kinds of improvements which I cannot do currently. At least the property has 600 more trees than it had in 2003!

I'm pretty depresssed about not having done more than that; like I've failed in the one thing that I thought I could contribute to future tree huggers long after I'm not here!

Anyway, you made points that I totally agree with, and will remember, I promise...And thanks for visiting thewisegardener.com so regularly; you just made me smile (but cry a bit, too! HAPPY TEARS!!) You're a friend; you care, and you are helping me support myself a bit better! I couldn't ask for much more from a friend, Kim! That was so sweet, to get me to look at things through non-depressed eyes! I appreciate it more than I could adequately describe, Kim!

If you were here, or I was there, I would give you a big bear hug right now. Maybe I'll find myself in a better position to travel "major league" by the Bi-Ennial 2012!! (That's not really too far away!) :rolleyes:

Thank you, Kim, for being you!! :winkie:

Love,

Paul

Is April very hot, Don, in that region of Brasil? Still dry season then?

Pablo

Paul,

This is a transition time from summer to winter. It is possible to get an early season cold front, which does not mean much cold. But, it can produce rain. It is a pretty nice time of year. And, it is not in a peak tourist season which is good.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg