IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Looking for Cold Hardy Hibiscus

Dan OKeeffe

I am looking for a cold hardy hibiscus that will take milder climates in Northern California. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Average Monthly Hi 60.2 F

Average Monthly Lo 49.9 F

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

Hi Dan,

Hibiscus syriacus would be my best guess. I have some in the ground and the thing I don't like about them will probably make them live in your area. They are deciduous. Other then that, I would bet the Mallows would be your other option.

Since you live in San Fran, some of the tropical Hibiscus crosses might work. None will handle a freeze, but some do better then others and will return from roots. You can contact these guys:

http://www.exotic-hibiscus.com/

This is where I get mine from. They are VERY helpful too when you contact them.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Great thanks for the contact. They selection looks amazing!

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

I just bought 20 more varieties that week. I am addicted. :)

Great thanks for the contact. They selection looks amazing!

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Hibiscus mutabilis (Confederate Rose) does very well down here, forming small trees during milder winters. Good conversation piece. Super easy to grow from cuttings too.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Try some of the "imitation" hibiscus such as the Lavateras. There are many varieties. L. assurgentifolia is a California native. Others with Mediterranean orgins include "Kew Rose" and "Barnsley". L. cachemiriana is nice too. These are faster growing and evergreen. Not quite as bright of a range of colors as H. rosa-sinensis but still nice. Only caviat is they can be shorter lived. Another Hibiscus family relative that does well in NoCal is the Australian Alyogyne huegelii with its incredible purple-blue blooms. Much hardier than tropical hibiscus. Recently saw as a smalll tree standard form. Very nice. As for the H. rosa-sinensis different cultivars do vary in "cold hardiness" by a range of maybe 5 deg. F. Some of mine rebound from wood down to about 26 deg F while others are dead cold at 33 deg F. Some root hardiness/rebound is better with large established individuals. Even if they perish in big 10 year freezes they make a fast, nice "5-year annual". Good luck.

Many of the tropical hibiscus cultivars will work in the bay area. I have grown one called "lipstick" outdoors since 2000 with only a small amount of tip dieback in Jan. 2007. I have also had good luck with the Hawaiian H. waimeae and H. arnottianus for some years. I give them somewhat more protected locations. These are all evergreen.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all

Dan

Foggy San Francisco

Avearge Monthy 55.2F

Average Summer Hi 61.8F

Average Winter Lo 45.8

Hibiscus mutabilis is a hardier species. It blooms later in summer. The flowers open white and fade to a pink by the end of the day. 'Plenus' has double flowers and 'Rubrum' has flowers that are pink all day. H. paramutabilis is very similar.

there are also a good number of perennial hibiscus that die back and go dormant in winter and regrow in spring. Hibiscus coccineus and H. grandiflorus are 2 FL natives that can even grow in shallow water. H. dasycalyx has a white flower with a red eye. 'Fireball' and 'Lord Baltimore' both have large red flowers but 'Moy Giant' has giant ones.

One other one is Talipariti hamabo, formerly Hibiscus hamabo. It makes a big shrub 6-8 ft and is deciduous in witer. It bears yellow flowers with a red center.

Some photos;

Hibiscus coccineus

cd43.jpg

Hibiscus coccineus 'Alba'

img_1733.jpg

H. dasycalyx

img_1732.jpg

H. grandiflorus

96a8.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a