IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Question from newbie attending Biennial

Randall

I know that it's still early and that all the details of the 2010 Biennial are still being discussed and finalized, but I was wondering how the IPS relays all the details for the trip to it's members and how much notice is given before the event.

I am a fairly new member and have no idea how this works, but would some day like to attend one of these events if possible.

Having never attended an event such as this, nor found helpful information for someone new like myself who would enjoy these events, I need useful information such as when the cost of attendance is passed along and how soon before the event is it relayed to members.

Also what exactly is included in the package, how much time before the event should the due be paid, and to whom.

Perhaps this info is is relayed and mailed with the quarterly magazine?

I do know that airfare is the responsibility of attending members, but that's about all I know for sure.

Any information you could pass along would be of great interest no matter hot trivial it may seem, as I am a new member and know very little on this subject.

Thanks in advance, Randall

Randall,

All valid questions. I just don't have any good answers...at least not right now! This is what's going on:

There has been some preliminary work done already, and at the IPS Board Meeting in Belize next Thursday, March 12th, this will all be discussed, and if necessary voted on. The Biennial Committee will present the IPS Board with a plan how to organize the Biennial, and make it happen: what hotel to use, what the itinerary is going to be (in general terms) etc. etc. The plan right now is for the Biennial to take place in Rio 17-24 April 2010. When the information is definite (dates and cost of registration) this will be announced here on PalmTalk, and on the IPS website, www.palms.org and also in our quarterly journal, PALMS (in all likelihood in the September 2009 issue). Two years ago when we started accepting registrations for Costa Rica, I announced this here on PalmTalk on September 22, 2007. The Costa Rica Biennial was in early May 2008, so the timing for Rio is going to be very similar. In other words, probably something definite by August or no later than early September. If we have the details before that, you will definitely know about it. We also had early, discounted, registration up thru Dec. 15th, 2007 (and those who signed up early paid $150 less per person).

What will be included in the package (i.e. the registration fee) is typically this: hotel cost, transfer from and to the airport, all common (IPS planned) transportation during the Biennial (in other words, all our visits to botanical gardens and other places of interest, and other organized events), breakfast at the hotel, lunch during all our excursions as well as MOST dinners (at the hotel). Generally, participants have 2 or max. 3 nights during the Biennial when they are on their own for dinner. So, bottom line: once you've paid the registration and the airfare there is very little expense involved. A couple of dinners and whatever souvenirs you may want to buy. Plus of course, if you want to arrive early, or leave late, and do something on your own. If that's the case, the hotel will typically offer us the same low group price for those additional nights (so you don't need to negotiate this on your own!). You just need to pay for them separately.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo,

Thank you for all the great information. You answered all my questions completely and it helped me greatly to understand how things

things are organized. Because I would need a certain amount of knowledge of these details in order to prepare, your information provided

a greater understanding of what registration covers and other helpful information.

Thanks, Randall

Randall,

You're more than welcome. And as soon as I have more information, it will definitely be posted in this sub-forum. But probably not for another couple of weeks (after the Belize trip).

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm