IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

TWO PART Poll for Brazil Biennial READ POST 1 FIRST!

bgl

Attendance Brazil Biennial  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Attendance Brazil Biennial

• I plan to attend by myself
    • I plan to attend with a spouse/partner
    • I do not plan to attend
    • I attended the Costa Rica Biennial
    • I've attended Biennials, but not CR Biennial
    • I have never attended a Biennial
    • I MAY attend - just don't know yet

First of all - this poll really belongs in the IPS sub-forum, but I need for it to get maximum exposure, so we'll leave it here for the next several days, and then move it.

Background: The IPS will hold its annual Board meeting in Belize on Thursday 12th of March. The number 1 topic to be discussed will be the next Biennial, planned for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 17-24 April 2010. Considering the general economic uncertainty around the world, it's important that we make the right decisions for the next Biennial. The most important, and most difficult, is to anticipate the number of participants. By far, the number one cost of any Biennial is the cost of accomodations, and we need to make sure that we make a reasonably accurate guess when it comes to how many participants to expect. We had about 140 in the Dominican Republic in 2006 and about 185 in Costa Rica in May 2008.

These are the assumptions for the poll: that we will be able to offer early registration just like we did for Costa Rica, with hopefully similar cost structure. For Costa Rica, early registration (prior to 15 Dec 2007) was US$1,225 per person for double occupancy, and US1,725 per person for single occupancy. After 15 Dec 2007, it was an additional US$150 in both cases.

Participants need to be IPS members. If you are not an IPS member and you wish to attend, all you need to do is sign up for an IPS membership ($45), and you are automatically eligible. For parties of 2 or more, only one person needs to be an IPS member, but they all need to be in the same household (i.e. same contact information).

This is a multiple choice poll. Please make TWO choices - first check one of #1, 2 or 3 OR #7 (#7 was added after the polling was underway, so is out of order)

AND then, please check either #4, 5 or 6.

Thank you!

Bo-Göran

And feel free to ask questions, or make comments!

EDIT - added choice #7 - see post 4 below.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I didn't do the poll, because my answer would have to be maybe, at this stage, and there was no option for that.

Its very tempting....as well as all the palms, it would be worth it just to see the amazing gardens by Brazilian landscape architect Roberto Burle Marx.

If you've never heard of him, check out this link Burle Marx - he used mostly Brazilian native plants, including lots of palms, in a modernist, abstract style - very cool, one of the masters.

I'd recommend the IPS include a tour of some of his gardens as part of the Biennial.

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Bo,

I voted I plan to attend with a spouse/partner but really I'm not 100% sure. I don't want to skew the numbers as I know this is critical in planning so please take that one vote as a maybe. I certainly want to go but at this time I can't really say for sure.

Thanks,

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Jonathan - I added one more choice, #7, so you (and others who are very uncertain) can vote.

Mike - nobody is 100% certain what they are going to be doing 13 months from now, so I'm just looking for a general direction here. I realize that not everybody who is planning to attend will actually attend. There were a few people who had to cancel at the last minute just before the Costa Rica Biennial for instance.

Only pick #7 if you're just very uncertain!

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bumping this, but also adding a few comments....

To all who participated in the poll - thank you! :) And, I'd like to see more Forum members add their votes and comments. What I find interesting is that quite a few who never attended a Biennial intend to go to the one in Brazil. That's very promising! Needless to say, most Biennial participants (unfortunately) are not regulars here on PalmTalk (even though we will certainly try to change that...), but the poll here will give us some information, and if enough Forum members vote, we can use it to extrapolate the level of interest for Brazil.

I'd really like to go, but that's a bad time of the year for me (and my garden!).

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Looking forward to it, hope my plans work out. Price wil be important. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

A lot can happen in 13 months...I have planned to attend since seeing pictures from Costa Rica. Unless something happens in the unforeseeable future, I will be there.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

You never know what things will be like next year, especiallly in Brazil. But, at the moment the exchange rate has gotten much better in favor of the USD. I hope to be able to go. At least it will be easier since it is in the country where I live. Although Rio is still a bit aways from here.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I plan on attending, but price will be the deciding factor.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I'm going. Already told the JOB, wife and other interested parties where I will be. Looking forward to the city, friends, bromeliads, orchids and more! :drool:

Rob

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

As Jonathon alluded to, it depends on the agenda.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

OUCH!

I wish there was some way to say it was a two-part poll, without having to scroll down.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave,

Not sure what you are referring to. I did make it clear in post #1 that it's a two part poll!

Bo-Göran

Dave,

Not sure what you are referring to. I did make it clear in post #1 that it's a two part poll!

Bo-Göran

Well, yeah, but usually I do the poll first, maybe I'm dumb . . . . .

If you wanna do a two-part poll, maybe say in the header: TWO PART POLL. Or words to similar effect.

Kinda like a freeway sign that should say "dive into the dump next right."

Don't mean to be rude, but the initial post was as clear as, oh, Mississippi Mud. Pie or whatever.

Squish!

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sorry about that - never occurred to me, but I'll certainly keep that in mind next time!

AND I modified the title - thanks for letting me know! :)

Thanks!

The Searle's not attend a biennial? Whoaaa...

I wouldn't miss this great event for anything. Not ever been to Brazil before, I really look forward to visiting with Jill and seeing her gardens.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I'll be there for sure. I look foward to meeting people that I follow thier post and going south of Ensanada, Mexico for the first time! See you there, Randy

test

Thanks everybody for your responses! It's now 10:38 a.m. Monday morning in Hawaii, and I'll be leaving late this afternoon for Belize, where the IPS will have its Board meeting this coming Thursday (March 12). May not be able to check PalmTalk again after I leave. Even though this poll wasn't perfect (my fault!), it's still very interesting. What I find most surprising is the number of Forum members who have never attended a Biennial, and a good number of those apparently intend to go to Brazil, which is very promising. I may put up another poll after the Belize meeting, and design the poll in a different fashion. If anyone hasn't added their vote yet and would like to do so, please do this within the next 5-6 hours or so. I'll check it again at that time (and then it'll be moved to the IPS sub-forum).

I will for sure be present in Brazil. After attending my first biennial in Dominican Republic I was sold sold sold.

Very cool topic of course (Palms) , great settings, great people and after the first one you get to look forward to seeing old friends. If you have never been, please do try and go. It is a unique opportunity and a great way to meet very cool palmy peeps in an exotic local. Looking forward to it. Now I need to go sell some plants so I can start my Brazil fund.

I'll be there without a doubt.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 1 month later...

To anyone who cares about palms - Forget the economy. This is a trip you do not want to miss. The memories will remain with all until our days are passed. Don't worry, no one is going to pay your bills while your gone. All your debts will be waiting for you when you get home.

Biennel Brazil 2010 !!!

*You got to be there*

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B