IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

South Florida Palm Society Spring Sale 2009

Tim McKernan

I have a really good feeling about this year's show at MBC. All of the usual growers are coming as well as a couple of new vendors. It sounds like the vendors have lots and lots of fantastic plants to move. Please join us for this very special event.

12205 Old Cutler Road, Coral Gables, Florida

9:30am-4:30pm March 14 &15

Member's Party 6pm-8pm; March 13

Admission to the sale will be FREE. MBC staff will be offering guided tours of it's collections for $5 Dollars per person and free to children 16 and younger accompanied by an adult. Over 25 different vendors will offer over 250 different varieties of palms and cycads from all over the world. Literally thousands of rare and unusual plants will be offered for sale. There will also be several artists displaying their work as well as information on the proper methods to grow a variety of these plants.

Link to the March Edition of The Palm Report with notice and price list enclosed. PALM AND CYCAD SALE

post-837-1236213218_thumb.jpg

I am really looking forward to the sale. There are always many different vendors with great prices. I hope to pick up some nice additions to my collection. I like to have many growers to choose from as each has their own specialty and the prices are competitive.

Betty

There is always enough room for another palm!

Is their a vendor/plant list?

Might take a road trip.

Mod Edit: See first post for link to price list.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

This is a really good sale. Montgomery is not usually open to the public so this is a good opportunity to visit a wonderful spot.

I will be there selling and shopping. I always seem to find just one more palm I have to have.

Come on out and visit with all the vendors and the other palm addicts. By 1 palm or 2 or 3 or even a cycad or 2.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

You're right Kitty. Monty alone is worth the trip.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

You're right Kitty. Monty alone is worth the trip.

I've never been to Montgomery. I'm thinking maybe we should go.

The address posted earlier is 12205 Old Cutler Rd., but google said 11901. Is it east or west of Red Rd?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

The way to Montgomery Botanical Center can be confusing, but it is worth the confusion. It is basically down the street from Fairchild, as Old Cutler Road turns to the west, it meets up with Red Road at an intersection, and Red Road ceases to be and turns into Old Cutler Road.

Link:

Map of Fairchild and MBC

The location "A" on the map is the sales area entrance. If you zoom in, you can see the grounds of MBC. To give reference to where it is located compared to Fairchild, if you scroll up on the map you can follow Old Cutler Road North to Fairchild, which is labeled. You can use the Street View to see what the entrance looks like, but remember the image can be older than what it looks like today. From being to the sale before, I would say it will pretty much look the same. If you want a step-by-step look at the path from Fairchild to MBC, follow the arrows north from the Street View until you get to the Fairchild entrance. Do not forget to make that turn off of Red Road.

Even if your yard is full, the trip is worth it to see the collection of palms at MBC. The center is not open to the public so this is the only weekend of the entire year in which you will be able to get in. The $5 for the tour is pittance compared to what you will see.

Ryan

South Florida

The way to Montgomery Botanical Center can be confusing, but it is worth the confusion. It is basically down the street from Fairchild, as Old Cutler Road turns to the west, it meets up with Red Road at an intersection, and Red Road ceases to be and turns into Old Cutler Road.

Link:

Map of Fairchild and MBC

The location "A" on the map is the sales area entrance. If you zoom in, you can see the grounds of MBC. To give reference to where it is located compared to Fairchild, if you scroll up on the map you can follow Old Cutler Road North to Fairchild, which is labeled. You can use the Street View to see what the entrance looks like, but remember the image can be older than what it looks like today. From being to the sale before, I would say it will pretty much look the same. If you want a step-by-step look at the path from Fairchild to MBC, follow the arrows north from the Street View until you get to the Fairchild entrance. Do not forget to make that turn off of Red Road.

Even if your yard is full, the trip is worth it to see the collection of palms at MBC. The center is not open to the public so this is the only weekend of the entire year in which you will be able to get in. The $5 for the tour is pittance compared to what you will see.

Ryan

Sunny,

And you get to see me again for a second weekend in a row. Wait,.....I don't know if that's a good thing or not. Hope you can make it. It's well worth the drive down.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looking foreward to the sale tomorrow...cant see too much of your palms Jeff.

I hope you bring more of those grande Licuala Peltata /Sumiwongii (or however its spelt). I shoulda grabbed one last weekend, for the pool area.

and of course...will be good to see "the usual suspects"

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

What a great weekend at the sale! There were some really unusual palms and some real deals on others. I snagged 3 large spindles and a large T. radiata and will be putting them in the ground today after work.

It was good to see old friends and make new ones.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Awesome sale! I wish I could have stayed longer, but I tried to go to every booth and say hi and pick up a few plants on impulse. It is like a class reunion (a good one) everytime one of these sales takes place.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

photos ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ohhh Ryan? Are you out there?

Ryan took quite a few pictures, so maybe within a few days he can post some......

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ohhh Ryan? Are you out there?

Ryan took quite a few pictures, so maybe within a few days he can post some......

Jeff

That would be great !

I would love to see what I missed.

Bob

Bob Greiner

The photos are coming, I had to make some room for them first online. They are being uploaded now.

Ryan

South Florida

The South Florida Palm Society has held their Spring Palm & Cycad Sale at the Montgomery Botanical Center for the past three years. Each year that goes by has shown an increase in popularity of the event. Mainly, due to the access to the grounds via a very nice tour, which is otherwise not possible during the rest of the year; except for special society related events. On that note, there is another SFPS garden tour coming up in April sometime that will involve Montgomery. For more information about that and other society activities and meetings, see their website:

Link: South Florida Palm Society

This Spring sale featured 21 vendors and countless palm and cycad species on display and for sale. I know it is a time to look forward to, as many species may only be offered at one time, and one time only. Like with the previous sales, Friday evening has been set aside as a Members Preview Party to allow society members a first look at the plants that will be for sale the following morning. For those who make the trip on over, they get to track down and plan their 'attack' for Saturday morning while mingling with vendors and other members.

- Friday, 4:11PM: I chose a showy palm to start Friday evening off with, and showy was an understatement. This is a quite large, mature and heavily suckering Licuala radula. It was on display in Vendor #68 Ellis Brown's booth and was entered in the palm show (which it later won).

RDG2009-03-13_16-11-16.jpg

- 4:12PM: For many years, FM. Ellis Brown's (EllisB) booth has always been a first stop for palm collectors, Jeff and myself included. We went over to check out the selection while Ellis and Rusty were still setting up.

RDG2009-03-13_16-12-36.jpg

- 4:14PM: Next to Ellis, was Ron Croci's (#66) booth which straddled the path. He had all sorts of odd an' end stuff to look through.

RDG2009-03-13_16-14-43.jpg

- 4:28PM: Need a coconut? Go no further. This is vendor #33 Dave Romney's booth which featured a number of different and rare coconut palm cultivars.

RDG2009-03-13_16-28-22.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 4:28PM: Vendor #46 Betty Ahlborn's booth. Betty always brings the best looking stuff, including very well grown Rhapis, which might be one of her favorite genera.

RDG2009-03-13_16-28-28.jpg

- 4:30PM: Ron Croci was still setting up so I tried not to get in his way as I inspected his cycads. He has some awesome specimen plants including this bulky Encephalartos lehmannii.

RDG2009-03-13_16-30-44.jpg

- 4:31PM: Down the line was another fun cycad, Encephalartos horridus one of my all time favorites. For a few dollars you can take one of them home with you.

RDG2009-03-13_16-31-05.jpg

- 4:34PM: On the opposite side of Ellis's tent was the booth belonging to Vendor #13 and FM. Chuck Grieneisen (chuck g) [red hat]. He was showing his booth to Vendor #35 Steve Stern while finishing the setup. On the far right, Vendor #81 Ken St. Germain [white hat] perused through Ellis's stock.

RDG2009-03-13_16-34-54.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 4:36PM: Pre-sale viewing continued as the majority of members had not arrived yet. I was looking for deals and unlisted specials. My trip around the sales area led me to vendor #31 Albert Livingston's spaced out booth.

RDG2009-03-13_16-36-46.jpg

- Across from Al's place was Steve Stern's (#35) booth.

RDG2009-03-13_16-36-51.jpg

- 4:37PM: Then to the left of Steve's selection of plants was the booth belonging to vendor Jeff Searle (#57). We were done setting up the booth when we decided to browse.

RDG2009-03-13_16-37-04.jpg

- 4:48PM: Inside the booth tent. It might look familiar.

RDG2009-03-13_16-48-36.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 4:52PM: The area outside the tent had all the larger unusual palms that could not fit inside with the other rarer palms. For obvious reasons. I was expecting to be talking in the booth long after it got dark this evening so I strung up a lantern.

RDG2009-03-13_16-52-56.jpg

- 4:54PM: Show plants show. Each vendor could bring up to two plants to be entered in the show which would be judged in a short while. Jeff had brought this Bowenia spectabilis to be entered in the cycad 'competition'.

RDG2009-03-13_16-54-04.jpg

- The table-clothed covered tables are the icon of the booth. They contain the gallon-size only plants that become the perfect size for the determined collector who wants one of everything. On the right, the Acanthophoenix rubra was Jeff's palm contribution to the show.

RDG2009-03-13_16-54-23.jpg

- The newly exposed amber crownshaft had rows of vertical spines that had not 'sprung' out yet to become horizontal.

RDG2009-03-13_16-54-33.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 4:55PM: Bordering our booth to the north, was vendor #80 Tim McKernan's booth. You can guess which color his tags are. Tim had a large array of material from the common to the very rare. I went to his booth first on Saturday morning and I was not the only one.

RDG2009-03-13_16-55-14.jpg

- 5:09PM: Dry, and very dry. The humidity was very low and the plants began to dry out quickly, especially the shade palms that were in a sunny spot in the booth. Jeff grabbed the community hose and began to water everything the hose could reach. A good soaking would make everything last through the weekend.

RDG2009-03-13_17-09-40.jpg

- 5:11PM: Artist and FM. Linda Talbot (Linda Apriletti) arrived and began to set up her tent, with help from SFPS President and FM. Tim McKernan (Tim McKernan).

RDG2009-03-13_17-11-21.jpg

- 5:37PM: I continued to window shop along the far side of the sales area, which including several booths including this one belonging to vendor #81, Ken St. Germain.

RDG2009-03-13_17-37-40.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 5:39PM: The severe cold we had about a month prior to the sale didn't seem to have any effect on the quality of plants that were brought to the spring sale. This was a very nice variegated Lady Palm, Rhapis excelsa cv. variegated that vendor #46 Betty Ahlborn had on one of her tables. I forgot to read the tag to see if it had a specific name or not.

RDG2009-03-13_17-39-35.jpg

- 5:45PM: Just a few inches away on the ground and in front of the table was this Copernicia fallaensis. You do not see many specimens at sales and to see one of this size was a surprise.

RDG2009-03-13_17-45-19.jpg

- 5:49PM: The surprises in Betty's booth kept on coming. Framing the side of her tent was this very well grown Ravenea hildebrandtii.

RDG2009-03-13_17-49-03.jpg

- 5:52PM: I started to see members start to trickle in by six o'clock so I began to greet them in whatever booth I was in at the time. This Pseudophoenix ekmanii was one of a few I saw in this size. It was resting upon one of Steve Stern's tables.

RDG2009-03-13_17-52-31.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 5:52PM: FM. Jeff Cramer (street124) looks through Steve Stern's booth with his son while I continue to browse through the selection myself. Jeff brought a special treat for the party this evening, crabs!

RDG2009-03-13_17-52-46.jpg

- 6:02PM: When most of your booth won't fit under a regular tent, you get a bigger tent. This sprawling tent covered the majority of vendor #67 Claude Roatta's decked out booth. It was like a circus tent under there. SFPS volunteer and FM. Ron Kiefert (moose knuckle) makes sure nothing gets out of hand.

RDG2009-03-13_18-02-06.jpg

- 6:48PM: Time to get the party started. The food and booze started to arrive just before the party did, at around six-thirty. When everything was spread out, the signal was given to dig right in. When your shooting you have to keep an eye on where your standing when that call is made, or you might be knocked over. Palm people take their food seriously, like Vendors #31 Albert Livingston [black shirt] and Rick Johnson (#99) [back right, sunglasses]. On the left, Vendor #57 Jeff Searle is waiting patiently for his turn.

RDG2009-03-13_18-48-05.jpg

- Topics of conversation ran the gamut from the economy, to the cold weather we had, to general palm and cycad fanaticism. Having all the vendors, board members and society members together made sure the evening was far from boring. On the left, SFPS Treasurer George Alvarez talks with Vendors and FMs. Chuck Grieneisen (chuck g) (#13), Bob Johnson (Bob Johnson) (#71), and Bill Olson, Sr. (#4).

RDG2009-03-13_18-48-16.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 6:53PM: The party was spread across the entire compound. Members walked from the tent where the food was, back to the sales area to shop, after finishing off part of the spread.

RDG2009-03-13_18-53-27.jpg

- 7:13PM: We did not have to look far to see part of the vast cycad collection that is Montgomery. One section near the party became a topic of conversation.

RDG2009-03-13_19-13-15.jpg

- 7:14PM: The plot contained many Dioon mejiae.

RDG2009-03-13_19-14-32.jpg

- 7:15PM: The flow of new arrivals for the party diminished by a quarter past seven, with many attendees leaving the tables behind to look through the booths.

RDG2009-03-13_19-15-33.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:22PM: It's an old fashioned drive-in palm sale. Attendees would usually drive up close to the party, but this truck was a bit out of the ordinary.

RDG2009-03-13_19-22-21.jpg

- 7:23PM: The atmosphere was pleasant, not exactly exuberant as of this time yet. Not enough flow of the libations. Music was provided by Vendor #67 Claude Roatta, who does have his own band. The member on the right gave Claude three seconds to stop playing...

RDG2009-03-13_19-23-45.jpg

- 7:24PM: Nostalgia was provided by vendor #31 Albert Livingston when he arrived back at the party with his '57 Chevy pickup.

RDG2009-03-13_19-24-19.jpg

- It was outfitted with a modern engine, but attendees couldn't keep their eyes off of it.

RDG2009-03-13_19-24-38.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 7:25PM: The variety of age groups of the attendees made it fun to figure out those who are not familiar with this truck, those who remember it when young and those who actually drove it when new.

RDG2009-03-13_19-25-39.jpg

- 7:29PM: There goes our light. The edges of daylight receded over the treeline as we gathered together around the tables to await the award ceremony.

RDG2009-03-13_19-29-29.jpg

- 7:49PM: The night for me ended with the award ceremony, where vendors were awarded for their show plants on display. In the center, SFPS President and FM. Tim McKernan (Tim McKernan) MC's the rest of the evening while SFPS Show Chairman and FM. Bill Olson (Bill Olson) hands him the awards to be announced. Executive Director of Montgomery Botanical Center, Dr. M. Patrick Griffith, Ph.D stands watch over the proceedings.

RDG2009-03-13_19-49-49.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

The Saturday morning of a palm sale. There are not many other things quite like it. Jeff and I got down to Montgomery as early as possible, to be some of the first people on the grounds. A little extra browsing time never hurt. The morning photos of the sales area devoid of people always seem so surreal to me; like the palms are waiting to go home with someone.

- Saturday, 8:13AM: Like puppies in the pet store window, the best palms the vendors could bring are ready for customer inspection.

RDG2009-03-14_08-13-05.jpg

RDG2009-03-14_08-13-14.jpg

RDG2009-03-14_08-13-44.jpg

RDG2009-03-14_08-15-23.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:16AM: Even with a full setup day like Friday behind everyone, there is always a few things to do in the booths early on Saturday. Signs, new tags, business cards, etc. all have their placement in the booth and become those last minute touches.

RDG2009-03-14_08-16-01.jpg

- 8:17AM: "Stop!" I almost witnessed the end of Ellis. Vendor #68 and FM. Ellis Brown (EllisB) directs his wife Rusty while she backs the truck up to the booth, almost hitting Ellis in the process.

RDG2009-03-14_08-17-33.jpg

- 8:19AM: Faith Bishock's booth, but no Faith. Vendor #50, FM. and IPS Director Faith Bishock (budrot) was in Belize during the IPS Directors meeting so she sent her palms on ahead. She had volunteers in her booth, but it wasn't the same without Faith walking around.

RDG2009-03-14_08-19-49.jpg

- 8:36PM: Unable to leave her wares overnight, Vendor #84 and FM. Linda Talbot (Linda Apriletti) has to practically set up her entire booth every morning. She doesn't mind as she often says she gets inspiration for a new painting when she is at a palm sale early.

RDG2009-03-14_08-36-37.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 8:40AM: Twenty minutes until show time. Linda continues her setup as I start looking for customers arriving.

RDG2009-03-14_08-40-18.jpg

- 8:46AM: Calyptrocalyx pachystachys 'mottled form'... yoink!

RDG2009-03-14_08-46-32.jpg

- 8:50AM: This is the general view of the left-side sales area as seen by customers as they first arrive.

RDG2009-03-14_08-50-09.jpg

RDG2009-03-14_08-50-12.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:07AM: "Oh crap, who let them in here..."

RDG2009-03-14_09-07-16.jpg

- Jaime, Danny and Andre, friends of mine and Jeff's from Key West, made the long trip up to visit the sale this morning. They came ready and in the mood for palms and represented the 'morning rush' for Saturday. They had printed out copies of the sale booklet and already had stuff they were looking for checked off in them.

RDG2009-03-14_09-07-37.jpg

- 9:12AM: The vast majority of the species they were looking for would be found under Ellis's tent. Jeff and I directed them down the path towards the yellow tags.

RDG2009-03-14_09-12-14.jpg

- I had to follow them, as their competitive devotion to searching for what they wanted warranted the pursuit. They dove into the selection and grabbed plants left and right while asking for items from memory.

RDG2009-03-14_09-12-36.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:14AM: Jaime started to grab all the conetainers of one species after he found it. Andre responded to the hoarding by coming over to see what he was absconding with.

RDG2009-03-14_09-14-56.jpg

- 9:16AM: In amongst Ellis's palms was this Nannorrhops labeled as a possible new species. It is stuff like this that drives us collectors crazy.

RDG2009-03-14_09-16-27.jpg

- Every time I walked past this Encephalartos horridus in Ron Croci's booth, I had to take its photo. For a few dollars you could have taken it home.

RDG2009-03-14_09-16-51.jpg

- 9:17AM: The next generation of palm collectors. Danny had to come over to see what Jaime and Andre were so excited about. All three have known each other for a good while, but is it Andre who got Jaime and Danny into palms. Andre first met Jeff at one of his Key West Plant Sales at Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden. He walked into the garden when he was nine years old holding a palm book.

RDG2009-03-14_09-17-30.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:25AM: Andre had his hands full and was in dire need of a run to the holding area.

RDG2009-03-14_09-25-40.jpg

- 9:31AM: Patrick zipped through the sales area checking on everything.

RDG2009-03-14_09-31-17.jpg

- 9:37AM: The rate in which customers arrived stayed constant up and through ten o'clock. Some started at the front and worked their way to the back, while others had more direct impulses to follow and went straight to a specific vendor.

RDG2009-03-14_09-37-29.jpg

- Jeff and I expected to see a good amount of Forum members this weekend. As expected, the first one through the gate was collector Mike Harris (waykoolplantz).

RDG2009-03-14_09-37-47.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:39AM: The morning on Saturday continued to hit small strides of busy activity. The supply of customers were heavily mixed with known friends and familiar palm enthusiasts. Vendor #35 Steve Stern was outside his booth to greet those customers walking by.

RDG2009-03-14_09-39-21.jpg

- 9:43AM: This one customer was infused with palm enthusiasm. He kept carrying plants from the sales area back to the holding area.

RDG2009-03-14_09-43-38.jpg

- 9:46AM: A few minutes later, he was making another run. This time it was a bushy Chamaedorea stolonifera with a small Chambeyronia macrocarpa chaser.

RDG2009-03-14_09-46-40.jpg

- 9:48AM: Collector and grower Drew Rathburn was among the early birds on Saturday morning. I know he is a die hard fan as he had a long drive that morning all the way from Naples, and he does the same trip repeatedly for many sales.

RDG2009-03-14_09-48-11.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 9:57AM: These two characters are simply unavoidable. Theresa and FM. Ray Gompf (Ray G) always dress alike and their choice of palmy attire allows them to be easily spotted in a crowd. Ray joins the conversation going on between Drew and Jeff while Theresa wonders how she can ditch her enthusiastic husband for a short while. In the background, Danny, Jaime and Andre continue to hit booth after booth.

RDG2009-03-14_09-57-45.jpg

- 9:59AM: FM. Jeff Cramer (street124) runs a pair of his new palms to the holding area. He was having his son do the running for him, but I guess he wanted to do these two palms himself. I am not sure what the larger palm was, but the smaller sprouted seed is a very rare Eugeissona tristis the only one I've ever seen for sale.

RDG2009-03-14_09-59-52.jpg

- 10:00AM: I almost put my sunglasses on just so I wouldn't get blinded. They have been dressing alike for many years, ever since the old days.

RDG2009-03-14_10-00-34.jpg

- 10:12AM: Well, he did it again. FM. Scott W. (aztropic) flew out from Arizona to attend the SFPS Spring Sale this weekend, surprising all of us with his appearance. He had been wanting to get into Montgomery for years and I am glad he was able to make it this time. He is holding up a small Gaussia princeps he found in Betty Ahlborn's booth.

RDG2009-03-14_10-12-58.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

As always, it was great to see old friends again, and make new ones, at the sale. There were a lot of great deals there and we took home a trailer full of beautiful new palms. The Montgomery sale is well worth a long road trip! I look forward to next year's sale.

Catherine Presley

Old Miakka

& Phillippi Creek

Sarasota

- 10:15AM: Luck favors the prepared. Greg K. brought his own cart and carries new additions to the holding area on their way to becoming Palmboo Gardens' additions.

RDG2009-03-14_10-15-03.jpg

Creekside Posted Today, 10:41 AM

As always, it was great to see old friends again, and make new ones, at the sale...

- 11:03AM: Catherine you have great timing when it comes to posting. Seeing friends again at these sales are reason enough to keep attending them. I am glad you made the very long trip on down, bearing the wonderful sunshine state traffic. I only had to ask once to get FM. Catherine Presley (Creekside) and her husband to pose so perfectly.

RDG2009-03-14_11-03-38.jpg

- 11:29AM: "Cash or Credit?" This phrase replaced the standard greeting when one approached the register tent with plants. Both tables were equipped to handle either type of transaction, so there was little wait involved when paying.

RDG2009-03-14_11-29-05.jpg

- The palm disease can spread to customers of all ages. This young attendee decided to bring home a freshly shed inflorescence spathe from a nearby Cuban Royal Palm, Roystonea regia.

RDG2009-03-14_11-29-10.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Looks like she can use it as a canoe.

- The palm disease can spread to customers of all ages. This young attendee decided to bring home a freshly shed inflorescence spathe from a nearby Cuban Royal Palm, Roystonea regia.

RDG2009-03-14_11-29-10.jpg

Ryan

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Ryan thanks for the pics. I was not able to make it down this time but I'll make it to the fall sale for sure.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

tikitiki Posted Yesterday, 12:06 AM

Ryan thanks for the pics. I was not able to make it down this time but I'll make it to the fall sale for sure.

Hey Tom, we were keeping an eye out for the Orlando-area Forum members to see how many would make their way down. We were looking forward to asking how well everyone's plants made out with the cold weather.

- 11:30AM: The next, next generation. The South Florida Palm Society has a free palm giveaway at each of their sales, and at some of their other events. This guarantees that everyone leaves with at least one palm for their yard.

RDG2009-03-14_11-30-24.jpg

- The selection was limited to a few of the more hardier and easier-to-grow species. This new enthusiast grabbed a Sabal sp. for her new hobby.

RDG2009-03-14_11-30-28.jpg

- 11:31AM: "Tim!" I often have to call out a person's name in order to get them to turn for the photo. This makes for all sorts of interesting expressions, like the one of shrug surprise on FM. Tim O'Neill's (ThunderSRQ) face. His cart was just about full with an allotment of unusual palms.

RDG2009-03-14_11-31-59.jpg

- 11:32AM: "Hands off, this is my palm and I am very serious about it."

RDG2009-03-14_11-32-42.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:35AM: Some customers come even more prepared than others.

RDG2009-03-14_11-35-47.jpg

- Assisting Tim with his purchases and what ever he himself might get, FM. Christian Faulkner (cfkingfish) parks the rental truck near the registers so palms can be quickly loaded.

RDG2009-03-14_11-35-49.jpg

- 11:38AM: OK Tim, go at it. Tim quickly loads his palms onto the truck a moment or two after leaving the tent behind. He might have some room left in the truck when he is done, leaving room for more palms of course.

RDG2009-03-14_11-38-36.jpg

- 11:44AM: Volunteer Dominique Shim loads her cart full with what seemed to be the largest palms put out for sale. The customers on the left look at their plants and try to figure out how they are going to get them home.

RDG2009-03-14_11-44-05.jpg

Ryan

South Florida