• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone into Anime or Manga?

7 posts in this topic

My almost 14 year old daughter are a lot of her friends are into Manga and Japanese amine. The annual huge comic book and anime convention, Megacon, is in Orlando this weekend at the Orange County Convention center so we took her and a friend yesterday. It was pretty awesome. They had professional artists there drawing, all kinds of comix for sale (rare vintage to modern), all sorts of cool Tee shirts (there was an HP Lovecraft themed booth and I got one of Cthulu, LOL its fantastic...my husband got one that is a takeoff on 'A Clockwork Orange" that has the graphic of Malcolm McDowell's face as the field for silhouettes of the gang from the flick but they have Mickey Mouse ears on their heads and the caption reads "Clockwork Orlando". Very tongue in cheek for those of us who are not exactly crazy about the pervasive Disney influence in the area.

My daughter's character is a really simple one, she is a male detective named "L" who tracks a serial killer in a Manga called "Deathnote". Her costume consists of a Goth black wig, makeup, a long sleeved white shirt, jeans and no shoes. Minimalist.

But other costumes we saw were extremely involved and took long hours to construct. There were some pretty fabulous ones...everyone wants a shot at winning the big costume contest.

There was a huge group of STar Wars fans, dressed in what had to be industry-grade storm trooper costumes, a perfect in every detail Darth Vader, a Darth Mal, and they had the real R2D2 robot there and a model of the C3PO. The R2 was remote controlled and actually ran around the place.

This is my daughter and her friend, my daughter is the goth L child and her friend is holding the parasol

mega11.jpg

And here's me. just taking a break from all the hooplah after lunch at Cafe Tu Tu Tango.2009037.jpg

Cool Gina!

I still follow that stuff a bit, but not as much as I used to. Since I live near San Diego, the home of "Comic-Con International" (the granddaddy of these conventions and biggest too), I went several times in the 80's and 90's. But the last time I went was to meet up with Jason Lee a couple years back and give him a ride in one of my TVR's (He had one too)

HIGHLY entertaining in the "people watching" category.

I still enjoy cartoons even at this age and that includes Manga. But I am not as into it as real addicts. In general the art is really very very good and the subject matter can be very light to very heavy and serious. I think that its a legitimate artform in itself.

I loved Spirited Away (movie) and Macross( the first series). When I was younger the really big thing over here were the super robots--Voltes V, Mazinger Z, Daimos, Gaiking and so forth. My brother always watched Samurai X and Dragon Ball Z.

As for people in "Cosplay" (manga costumes) they sure are entertaining-- click the link.

I'm not much into animine or manga but am into more scifi, especially Star Wars. "Akira" is one of my favorite movies.

I saw on the Orlando Sentinel website, photos of some of the costumes. I thought this one is great as it is the funniest show on TV now;

roboch.jpg

I'm not much into animine or manga but am into more scifi, especially Star Wars. "Akira" is one of my favorite movies.

I saw on the Orlando Sentinel website, photos of some of the costumes. I thought this one is great as it is the funniest show on TV now;

roboch.jpg

Akira is still one of my favorites as well.

Also, Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro.