IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 11th Annual Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- March 6th, 7th & 8th 2009: Friday, Saturday, & Sunday -●●- W. Broward County, Florida

Palmarum

Jeff, just wanted to say sorry for the chaos Justen & I caused on Monday and thank you for the little "treasures". I also wanted to thank Ryan for the lunch and Pops for the interesting conversations about "Florida in the old days". Hope you have a great sale! I know you will with all those great palms. Have a great time everybody!

I am sure this has been asked before, but I forgot the answer. Do you guys put all the choice palms out at once or is some plants held back for restocking. The reason I ask is I won't be able to attend until Sunday, but I am afraid, that plants may have been pretty picked over by then, great for overall sales but bad for us late comers.

:blink:

Hot and humid Loxahatchee Florida. 16 miles inland from

West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County

just back from the gym...gate opens at 8. First Palm sale of Spring...WooHoo !!

Feets dont fail me now !! :lol:

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

no worries...we've got you outnumbered.

unless you the WestPalm PalmPosse on the way

Mike

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Top notch sale as usual folks... Great prices on lots of selections of rare palms, and I think there were some other plants there, but I seem to be a shadehouse rat incapable of learning about other plants... Nice to revisit with some freinds and make some new ones... Searles and other, thanks for putting on one of the best palms sales in the world. (Maybe next year we can get some lunch on fridays :winkie: )

Top notch sale as usual folks... Great prices on lots of selections of rare palms, and I think there were some other plants there, but I seem to be a shadehouse rat incapable of learning about other plants... Nice to revisit with some freinds and make some new ones... Searles and other, thanks for putting on one of the best palms sales in the world. (Maybe next year we can get some lunch on fridays :winkie: )

Bill, is there anything left? I'm still cooling my heels at work. Will head over that way later tonight to get a start on tomorrow.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Nah, I got all the good stuff :rolleyes::lol:

Meg, Jeff has tons of deals this year... Not sure if it's the economy or what but it seemed like there were some great deals to be had there... They will restock the rows tonight, and if I know anything Jeff held back a few rarieties that he didn't put out today for people that will arrive tomorrow AM. :) Have fun Meg! Let us know what treasures you ended up with!

I too was there front and center at 0800 this Friday morning. Beautiful morning as well...cloudy, humid, warm, and windless. PERFECT. I headed right over to the croton selection, picked a few goodies, then snatched a few palms amongst the "Hey Rick, where you planning on putting that?" and a cordyline or two. All in all I spent $222.00 on some great goodies.

I was outta there by 9am! :rolleyes:

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Early am that will be me. :drool::drool:

Nah, I got all the good stuff :rolleyes::lol:

Meg, Jeff has tons of deals this year... Not sure if it's the economy of what but it seemed like there were some great deals to be had there... They will restock the rows tonight, and if I know anything Jeff held back a few rarieties that he didn't put out today for people that will arrive tomorrow AM. :) Have fun Meg! Let us know what treasures you ended up with!

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Today was a great day to have a palm sale. The weather was perfect and it was wonderful to see so many familiar people, friends and fellow palm nuts to come visit. I have tons of photos as you no doubt would know, so I will get them up as soon as I can. There are quite a few palms left, including some of the rare oddities. The last minutes of the day were spent restocking as much as we could. We will probably pull some more tomorrow morning, time allowing.

Mark@PalmBeach Posted Yesterday, 11:57 PM

...Do you guys put all the choice palms out at once or is some plants held back for restocking...

This year, everything was put out at once minus the common palms that are easily restocked. We always try to pack the sidewalk as much as possible, so nothing specifically was held back. The species that were restocked were only the ones where the stock quantity exceeded what was already pulled, and therefore the additional plants were identical to the ones that were sold.

Ryan

South Florida

Dear Ryan :)

lovely stills like every time... :) And your coverage puts the viewer in a dilama,to buy which palm..since all that you have covered are all so mouthwatering ! :drool:

And 007 jeff seeing your collection of healthy palms...iam just speachless ! :greenthumb:

Lots of love to you both,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

It was great seeing you guys today and meeting B.S man as well. Thanks for the great deals.

Tom

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Plenty of neat palms, cycads, and landscaping plants were around to be admired on Sunday. My little green Focus wagon found itself next to a charismatic topless Land Rover D-90, which I can imagine looking even more charismatic with a few palms inside.

Thanks to Ryan, Jeff, and everyone for being such great hosts.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I too was there front and center at 0800 this Friday morning. Beautiful morning as well...cloudy, humid, warm, and windless. PERFECT. I headed right over to the croton selection, picked a few goodies, then snatched a few palms amongst the "Hey Rick, where you planning on putting that?" and a cordyline or two. All in all I spent $222.00 on some great goodies.

I was outta there by 9am! :rolleyes:

I didn't even get there till after that! Yeah - I think you and PiousPalms got da good stuff - talk about a PalmPosse - nevertheless, I managed to spend about as much as you did, and more than I planned (as always hah!) and snagged some bodacious treasures. as always.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Kris Posted Mar 7 2009, 03:20 AM

Dear Ryan... lovely stills like every time...

Thanks Kris, I still have many more event photos to post in the other topic, but showing preview photos is fun and more than worth the effort. It was great to see all the Forum members that made an appearance during the weekend. The long travels that some endure, like Tom, SunnyFl and Dave make the experience even more special. Not to mention the record-setting trip that Bill Sanford completed on his way to Florida.

Link:

Main Discussing Palm Trees Topic on the Extravaganza

Ryan

South Florida

• 3 weeks later...

I had a great time! I even played hookie from work to be there on Friday. Everything I purchased was stepped up and is doing great. Waiting fot the rains to come in June so I can put in the ground. Ryan - where are the pictures you took of the customers? You told me you posted them at the Montgomery Spring sale but I am having trouble locating their post on PalmTalk!

P.S. you were the best biennal roomate ever!

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

moose knuckle Posted Today, 02:58 PM

...Ryan - where are the pictures you took of the customers? You told me you posted them at the Montgomery Spring sale but I am having trouble locating their post on PalmTalk!...

Hi Ron, I posted a link to those photos above. Photos I took during the Extravaganza weekend (of customers, Forum members, etc.) I put in their own topic. If the link isn't working, here is a new one:

Link:

Spring Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza Topic

If the link still doesn't work, you can find the topic by scrolling down the pages in the Main Discussing Palms subforum. The topic there has the same name as this one. Enjoy! It is amazing that the Biennial was almost a year ago.

Ryan

South Florida

I just finished "relooking" at this thread and some of those neat gems and I was REALLY glad I was there. Did anyone here get that big D nauseosa or the C. houalou?

Its been a bit cooler than "So Flo" since I got back... :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!