IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Prince Of Palms - John C. Wilson

Kostas

Prince Of Palms - John C. Wilson  

13 members have voted

1. 1. RATE THIS GROWER

• POSITIVE - I have had a positive experience and would recommend this grower. (Comment Optional)
    • NEGATIVE - I have had a negative experience and would not recommend this grower. (Comment Required)

European outlet for rare palms, seedlings and seeds. Mail-order nursery business for continental Europe only, with the exception of small seed orders. Website: www.princeofpalms.com

I recently purchased 2 Loxococcus rupicola seedlings from John and they came excellent packed without any shipping damage!They were(and still are :) ) in good health and arrived with a good root system and seem to be establishing without problems! :) Prices are great too and i would surely to buy from him again without any hesitation! :)

Keep up the good work John! :)

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

• 1 month later...

I receive John's Monthly Update and have seen his operation on the Board. Top Notch.

What you look for is what is looking

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately, I am no longer satisfied with the shipment since 2nd delivery.

After-shipment was then agreed on as per account; unfortunately again fault and on demand only a Misleading packaging. one palm seedlings only with roots; without sheets grow is a puzzle and goes only very circumstantially ...?

Something has to be improved here ...

Customer in Germany bought palms in February and requested they be sent to him the following month when it was warmer, and when they had grown a bit. Recently complained that a pre-germinated seed he purchased didn't have a leaf (like the same one he had delivered a month after he'd paid for it.) His response was to suggest that he could reserve pre-germinated seeds for later delivery.

He said the seed fell off one of his Areca vestiara seedlings - I sent a replacement. He said that the 2 Laccospadix australasica seedlings I sent him had "pulled down" leaves due to improper packing. I said I would replace these as well, but then sent only one replacement after reconsidering. At no time did he mention concern for the survivability of the plants. In response, his only concern was that I had failed to send him the promised replacements. It transpires that he is not buying the palms for himself, but is selling them on immediately to his own customers.

The Alloschmidia glabrata seedling he purchased from me was second rate, in his opinion. I sent him the largest one, with a new leaf spear emerging. His response was that he cannot justify doing business with palms that have a healthy root system only. He is intolerant of the fact that some species will suffer leaf loss more so than others. The customer has received more palms from me than he has paid for, and his dissatisfaction is centred solely around his so-called inability to sell them on, due to their appearance.

I have told the customer that it is not my intention to entertain a reseller with a very specific opinion of what constitutes a living plant. I sell to customers in 13 European countries, and have not had any problems dealing with buyers on a one-to-one basis, to date. The customer says he cannot sell these palms of mine to his customers, and that they are all disappointed. I informed the customer that I cannot do business with him in future, and that he might like to buy the palms directly himself from Hawaii, if his main interest is to go into business. As far as I know, this gentleman does not have a greenhouse set up for raising tropical palms, which is how I am able receive Hawaiian-bred, rare palms for cultivating, and selling to fellow enthusiasts.

I do not offer a refund policy for rare palm seedlings that are alive when they are sent, and alive when they are received. If they die in transit, or within days of potting up, I may replace the plants after negotiations with the buyer, but this customer would not be in a position to do that, since he is acting as reseller.

Thank you for your rational response John. When I read this consumer's remark this morning I was certain there was a more accurate version of the scenario.

Happy growing!

B)

Very good reply John! Thats exactly how a reply to a negative comment should be! No name calling or anything,which are useless,but showing the whole background of the deal so that everyone can see and judge for himself :) And you very much succeeded in that :)

I bought from John again some time ago and the plants came in great shape. Care was taken for sensitive species(Cyphosperma balansae) to not need a replant so as to minimize stress on them! I continue to recomend this seller and will buy again soon! :)

Thumbs up from me John! :greenthumb:

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Hello from Germany!

I know; it isn't this for Palmensamlinge simple from Hawaii useable introduce.

But whether I organize collective orders and can't pass the palms 2nd choice on after delivery probably isn't I have paid 1 choice anyway!

It is no matter to me for palms drawn at themselves what my customer does with that.

His business should reconsider John; and my collecting friends (Palm Collectors) don't shop at him now any more; so it is in the business community ....

Greeting howeia2 :hmm:

I have bought lots of seedlings and germinated seeds to John. Every shipment was carefully packed and the palms were OK.

I understand I can lost some germinated seeds because I am trying some very tropical species for my climate, so I am not disagree.

I have voted positive and know a bunch of people that surely should if they have a look on this board.

Alicante (East coast of Spain)

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

Hello from Germany!

I know; it isn't this for Palmensamlinge simple from Hawaii useable introduce.

But whether I organize collective orders and can't pass the palms 2nd choice on after delivery probably isn't I have paid 1 choice anyway!

It is no matter to me for palms drawn at themselves what my customer does with that.

His business should reconsider John; and my collecting friends (Palm Collectors) don't shop at him now any more; so it is in the business community ....

Greeting howeia2 :hmm:

The loss of your "business" may be a blessing to Mr. Wilson. :innocent:

Buy your own seed and try to grow them yourself! :crying:

You have registered your opinion,this is mine. :sick:

Brokers :angry::evil::rage:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Recently complained that a pre-germinated seed he purchased didn't have a leaf (like the same one he had delivered a month after he'd paid for it.) His response was to suggest that he could reserve pre-germinated seeds for later delivery.

Hey John the pre-germinated seed you send me did not have a trunk :rolleyes: , maybe you can keep them a year or two next time I reserve them?

All joking aside I was very happy with the plants send, I make a point to order the largest plants and they usually go straight into the ground after I receive them.

'tis a pity the Dypsis"orange crush" was so small but I did receive credit for them, still I rather prefer to pay more for bigger plants as these travel better and adjust more easily to my conditions

Received and planted out were

Chamaedorea dammeriana

Chamaedorea deckeriana

Chuniophoenix nana

Basselinia glabrata

Basselinia pancheri

Brahea sarukhani

Coccothrinax macroglossa"azul"

Coccothrinax ekmanii

Dypsis"orange crush"

Ravenea hildebrandtii

All growing merrily along only Dypsis is still potted

Charles Wychgel

Algarve/Portugal

Sunset zone 24

Many thanks to the customers who have supported my business over the last 12 months, and the kind comments. It is always a pleasure to deal with enthusiasts, since I am one myself. Sharing the enjoyment is mostly what drives me, and there will be plenty of rewards in time to come for those customers who regularly visit Prince of Palms.com. Working continually to cultivate rare palms in Europe through a network of palm growers worldwide, is a challenge to say the least, so it means a lot to know that I have the support of some very dedicated people.

Muchas gracias a los clientes que han apoyado mi negocio durante los 12 meses pasados, y los comentarios buenos. Es siempre un placer tratar con entusiastas, puesto que soy uno mismo. La distribución y disfrute es sobre todo qué me conduce, y habrá un montón de recompensas en tiempo a venir para esos clientes que visiten regularmente a Prince of Palms.com. Trabajando continuamente para cultivar las palmeras raras en Europa a través de una red de cultivadores mundial, es un desafío por lo menos, así que significa mucho saber que tengo la ayuda de alguna gente muy dedicada.

• 1 month later...

I've bought many items throught the internet over the years and have to say that John stands out as the best trader I've dealt with by far. As a newbie on this site I was delighted when John replied to my first post regarding suppliers of unusual/exotic palm species to the UK. Being based in the EU John's deliveries are not subject to the potentially damaging delays at customs which non EU originating plant deliveries could be.

I recently received a small delivery (there will be others!) of very healthy, brilliantly packaged palm seedlings. The plants received were a Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Syagrus v. litoralis, Basselinia gracilis and Dypsis decaryi. All were, in my opinion, excellent value relative to their size/availability and I would recommend John's services to anyone. I believe that I am John's only UK customer which amazes me, so to all palm lovers here in the UK and beyond, please check out John's site!!

Mark :)

Mark Peters

Indoor palm grower

Monifieth, near Dundee

Scotland's sunny NE coast

• 7 months later...

Excellent service, John!

The seeds ordered (Eucalyptus deglupta) were very carefully packaged.

Additionally, I got very useful and detailed information on this species. I have been looking for years for seeds of this eucalypt.

Germination very occurred fast!

Ciao,

Christian