IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My palm buddy is gone

rozpalm

Sadly we had to put down our 1.5yo dog yesterday. He started having seizures in November and no amount of medicine was able to control them. We tried everything we could to save him but he still would have up to 6 seizures a day. We finally went to a dog neurologist that gave us the bad news that he had all the signs of cranial distemper, something he must have picked up in the Bahamas as a stray. After suffering two back to back debilitating seizures, we decided it was time. This was probably one of the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

His name was Abaco and we got him from a shelter in the Bahamas. From the time he was a puppy and right up to he end, he loved to hang with me when I was planting palms. Sometimes he would help me dig other times he kept my company. His favorite thing to chew on were brown coconuts, which he could strip to the seed in less then an hour. He loved to play in the garden and never trampled a single plant. He will now aptly be part of my Caribbean garden that I am building. His picture is my avatar which I'll probably change sometime in the future. Today I tried to plant some palms and it just wasn't the same. I sure miss my palm buddy.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

So sorry for your loss.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

So sorry to hear of your loss. That avatar always made me smile.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I was sad to hear of your loss.I too have dogs that I have saved and they too love to rip up coconuts and eat the meat.My dogs also "help me" in the garden.I know how you must feel, but I am certain Abaco had the best life possible.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Roz, I am so sorry for your loss.

I just lost my black lab of almost 12 yrs (would be 12 on Feb 12th) this past Thursday when my wife and I had to put her down. She was my everything and I know exactly how you feel. I got her at 5 wks old when I was a senior in high school. She was my palm buddy too and was always in the yard supervising.

I hope you find peace as I am struggling very hard right now as well.

Take care.

michael

post-294-1233008605_thumb.jpg

post-294-1233008674_thumb.jpg

My dogs are members of the family. You have my deepest regrets.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

sorry for your loss. puting down a pet is never easy, but you did the right thing. we had to put down a dog and a cat in November 2008, and I still think of them fondly. Pets kick rear.

Kent in Kansas.

Gowing palm trees in the middle of the country - Kansas.

It's hot in the summer (usually) and cold in the winter (always).

So Sorry to hear your sad news on the loss of your Mate, Pets

are such good company don't know

what I'd do without my Dog. Had a snake take

My small Parrot last night had her for many

many years, she even got on with Spike my

Dog..... :(

Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Thanks everyone for your kind words they really help. Larry Dietrich, who is building my Caribbean garden, setup a special rock that will hold Abaco's memorial plaque and under which we will place his ashes. We are going to plant a Coccothrinax argentata near the rock in his honor. This way he will always be in the garden which is where he wanted to be 24/7.

Michael, I am really sorry to hear about your loss. I can only imagine how tough your decision must have been. I have never had to put a dog down before, as all of my Dogs have died of natural causes. It really is a tough thing to do, but I think to let them suffer just to avoid the feelings of loss is much worse. Best wishes to you and your family.

Kent , I don't think I could handle two of these on one month. That must have been a very difficult time especially right before the holidays.

Mikey I am sorry to hear about your parrot.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

Rozpalm, I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My dog Jessie died about 6 months before I moved to Costa Rica and I didn't even want to think about getting another dog for a while, it was just too painful going through the loss. My heart goes out to you.

I did end up getting a puppy shortly after moving here and for me, it was the best thing I could have done. Oh and she loves to strip the husk from coconuts too!

Michael, very sorry to hear about your lab too. Jessie was a lab mix and I also had her 12 years. She was the sweetest dog I've ever owned.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I know just how you feel. I still think about my past labs and they will always be a part of me...Katie, Hutch, Zeus...all labs and all wonderful.

Time does heal wounds, as cliche as it sounds, and I hope that you are able to rescue another wonderful dog and palm helper sitting someplace in a shelter at this moment.

I would have 25 of them if I had the room. I love them all.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

I'm sorry guys. I also have dog and i know how much they meant to you.

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Thanks everyone for your kind words they really help. Larry Dietrich, who is building my Caribbean garden, setup a special rock that will hold Abaco's memorial plaque and under which we will place his ashes. We are going to plant a Coccothrinax argentata near the rock in his honor. This way he will always be in the garden which is where he wanted to be 24/7.

Roz, that is a beautiful memorial to your beloved "palm buddy." How tragic to have to lose your dear dog - making that decision has to be one of the hardest, especially since you rescued him from a shelter. But it was the kindest thing to do, given how he was suffering. You gave him a wonderful life of playing in your garden, enjoying the palms and coconuts that he "helped" you plant.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I'm sorry to hear about Abaco and know how you feel. In time, I hope you will bring a new smiling face into your family.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thanks Ray, Sunny, Jeff, Pivi, Rick and Bubba for your kind words.

Jeff/Ray, I had originally said that we would wait before getting another dog, but I think we are going to get another shelter dog soon. My brother told me the same thing you mentioned Jeff about getting another dog being a good thing.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

A Dogs Prayer, by Beth Norman Harris.

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest - and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Roz,

I just saw this post , and I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My father( who still works with us in the nursery) is from Abaco.

I know the feeling of having a dog in the garden. My bullmastiff, Kona, loves to be near me whenever I'm out in the yard working. He's always just laying within a few feet of me. The only thing that excites him, is if I dig up a small rock and throw it off near the fence which has fishtails planted along side it. He takes off to try and find what I threw. Other than that, he just likes to lay there.

Larry's a good landscape designer. Tell him I said hello.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for your kind comments Matt and Jeff.

Matt, that is a great prayer. I gave it to my daughters and my oldest (the one that picked out Abaco) put it on her peg board.

Jeff, your father is from one of our favorite island chains in the Bahamas. I guess that also makes you a conch. ;) I grew up in a conch community in Riviera Beach. I will let Larry know you said hello. He is suppose to be by today.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

I thought this thread was only for people, but I see it's for pets too. I have to put my black cat of 17 years down today. She has been in rapid decline for the past week and is skin and bones and can't keep food down, and she has lost control of her bladder. She will be the last of 3 cats. Her Mom and sister died last year of old age and natural causes. I'll miss her greeting me in the mornings, wanting to be fed, and then purr in my lap. It's really tough, but the best thing to do. I'll probably blubber for a few days. I'll bury her right next to her Mom whom she loved so much...under a palm, of course.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 3 weeks later...
I thought this thread was only for people, but I see it's for pets too. I have to put my black cat of 17 years down today. She has been in rapid decline for the past week and is skin and bones and can't keep food down, and she has lost control of her bladder. She will be the last of 3 cats. Her Mom and sister died last year of old age and natural causes. I'll miss her greeting me in the mornings, wanting to be fed, and then purr in my lap. It's really tough, but the best thing to do. I'll probably blubber for a few days. I'll bury her right next to her Mom whom she loved so much...under a palm, of course.

Dick

just saw this...to you Dick and Roz..and all my other palm peeps in here who have lost a furry,fluffy, or feathered friend recently... my heart is heavy for you. Being an animal lover all my life I know it's hard when they pass on. But think of all the wonderful memories you created together with your special "bud-dy". I do. And I like to think of my critter's in heaven talking to my family and friends up there...and i know they are having a good ole laugh at re-telling all the antics "we' got into. (of course they talk up there...duhh) Remember, they've seen you at your best and at your worst...and they still love you unconditionally...now that's a true friend.

<pouring the room a glass of ice cold limeade...here's to true friendship...the 4 legged kind. :-)

marylei

• 4 weeks later...

From my post of Feb 12th. I chickened out and couldn't put my black cat down. Even though skin and bones, she would still jump in my lap anytime I sat down and purr. I figgured as long as she could purr and nuzzle my hand life was still worth living.

This morning she didn't greet me in the kitchen begging for food. As recently as yesterday she was chewing on a beef bone and jumping in my lap. This morning I found her dead on one of my dinning room chairs. She looked like she died very peacefully in her sleep. RIP Blackie. You will be missed.

Dick

Richard Douglas

From my post of Feb 12th. I chickened out and couldn't put my black cat down. Even though skin and bones, she would still jump in my lap anytime I sat down and purr. I figgured as long as she could purr and nuzzle my hand life was still worth living.

This morning she didn't greet me in the kitchen begging for food. As recently as yesterday she was chewing on a beef bone and jumping in my lap. This morning I found her dead on one of my dinning room chairs. She looked like she died very peacefully in her sleep. RIP Blackie. You will be missed.

Dick

Really sorry to hear that Dick. Losing a pet hurts.

Take care,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean