IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Leucothrinax morrissii

Keith N Tampa (ex SoJax)

I am thoroughly amazed that with two nights in the mid to upper 20's here in Mandarin (a southern suburb of Jacksonville, FL), that two Leucothrinax morrissii show no injury whatsover! Now it might become visible in upcoming days or weeks, but compared to all Arcontophoenix in my yard, Ravenea rivularis, Sabal mauritiformis, Dioon spinulosum, & even Livistona chinensis! the Leucothrinax look much better. I wasn't here so I don't know the precise low but I think both plants were exposed to temperatures around 25-27F for at least 6-8 hours. I'm sure it was below freezing for at least 12 hours.

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Glad to hear it. I am trying this palm here in Austin.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Potted specimen just beginning to throw leaves that aren't strap, about 6 inches tall. 

28˚, no frost. No damage.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 10 months later...

this topic should be merged with this one:

Anyway, I found this specimen in Melbourne.  I'm sure it's older than 1989 which means it saw temperatures between 19F-21F and survived.

IMG_20181022_191102.jpg

• Upvote 3

Brevard County, Fl

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2009 at 12:29 PM, Austinpalm said:

Glad to hear it. I am trying this palm here in Austin.

The first picture  is of the L. morrissii (in the foreground) in spring of 2011 after a very hard winter. Our ultimate low that year was 14f with approximately 48 consecutive hours below freezing. The palm was fried to the ground. A plastic bucket was placed over the palm for some measure of protection.

Leucothrinax morrissii 2011.jpg

Leucothrinax_morrissii_2019.jpg

The second photo shows the palm yesterday. This palm has probably fried to the ground on 3 separate occasions, but keeps coming back. So far this winter, the palm has survived a nighttime low of 25f with little to no damage.

Edited by Austinpalm
Photo mix up

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

4 hours ago, Austinpalm said:

The first picture  is of the L. morrissii (in the foreground) in spring of 2011 after a very hard winter. Our ultimate low that year was 14f with approximately 48 consecutive hours below freezing. The palm was fried to the ground. A plastic bucket was placed over the palm for some measure of protection.

Wow, that palm is a fighter!  :)  I guess the rocks around it helps some with the cold, but it doesn't look like it's put on much growth for you.

I just read a thread about Plectocomia himalayana - do you still have yours or did temps in the teens do it in?  That one looks like one vicious vine!  Might be an interesting plant to have climb up my Acrocomia aculeata!  :o

Jon Sunder