IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wrong linked online articles of Palms

marcus

Today I renewed my IPS membership and one of my first actions was to read the last issues of Palms. During this, I noticed that a couple of the articles are wrong linked. For example the article "New Species of Pinanga (Palmae) from Vietnam":

It is linked as:

https://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2008/palms52n2p63-69.pdf

but the address is:

https://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2008/v52n2p63-69.pdf

Marcus

Marcus,

Thanks a lot for alerting us to this. We'll get it fixed.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Today I renewed my IPS membership and one of my first actions was to read the last issues of Palms. During this, I noticed that a couple of the articles are wrong linked. For example the article "New Species of Pinanga (Palmae) from Vietnam":

It is linked as:

https://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2008/palms52n2p63-69.pdf

but the address is:

https://www.palms.org/palmsjournal/2008/v52n2p63-69.pdf

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

I am not sure where you found the bad link - but thank you. You are a bit ahead of the game as we have not actually gone live with the electronic articles. Many are on the website but due to the extensive coding, we are checking links before going live. Do you remember which page you were on when you found the bad link?

Liz Stansfeld

Hi Marcus,

I am not sure where you found the bad link - but thank you. You are a bit ahead of the game as we have not actually gone live with the electronic articles. Many are on the website but due to the extensive coding, we are checking links before going live. Do you remember which page you were on when you found the bad link?

Liz Stansfeld

Hi,

after I logged in with account number and password -> Publication -> Palms Journal -> Current online (members only). The address should now https://www.palms.org/palms_current_members.cfm

On this page are the online articles of 2008. The articles of issue no 52/2 are wrong linked, also from no52/1 the articles:

- Growing Palms- Squirrel Damage and Control of Palms

- Indigenous Management Practices of Chit (Thrinax radiata) , in Quintana Roo, Mexico

Marcus

• 2 months later...

Aloha Liz,

I doubled checked all the links for Volume 52, and found the following links to be in error. I hope this proves helpful. I think it's great that the IPS is making available past articles to members in electronic format!

Here is a list of links that didn't match up as of 18:00 HST 28 Mar 2009:

Vol 52. No 1 March 2008

- Front cover picture thumbnail of Tahina spectabilis inflorescence links instead to a picture Thrinax morrisii inflorescence

- "Tahina – A New Palm Genus from Madagascar" links instead to "A Remarkable Ravenea from the Montane Forest of Andilamena, Madagascar"

- "Indigenous Management Practices of Chit (Thrinax radiata) , in Quintana Roo, Mexico" links to a "The page cannot be found" message

Vol 52. No 2 June 2008

- "The Decline of the Bankouale Palm in Djibouti: El Niño and Changes in Architectural Fashion" links instead to "New Species of Pinanga (Palmae) from Vietnam "

Vol 52. No 3 September 2008

- "Palm Literature" links instead to "News from the World of Palms"

Vol 52. No 4 December 2008

- "Villa Beccari - One Century Later" links instead to "News from the World of Palms"

Hi Marcus,

Not sure my reply went through. Thank you so much for detailing the link issues in the Palms journal page. I have fixed these and also found the missing paper - which is now uploaded. I appreciate all your help with this.

Liz