IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cordyline dracaenoides

Viking

Hi I have some Cordyline dracaenoides grown from seeds and i am wondering how low temperatures they can survive when they are adult? :)

post-1653-1232355492_thumb.jpg

Norway zone 8a

I grew some from seed and have planted a couple outside here. They are native from southeastern Queensland to northeastern New South Wales in Australia. I imagine they will have some hardiness, probably about the same as C. fruticosa, less than C. australis.

I just checked the Kew list, C. dracaenoides is now C. congesta.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I thought it was native to Brazil (the only Cordyline native to South America). I must be mistaken..

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

Hmmm, i just looked at RPS website (thats where I got my seeds from) and it says

" southern Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Bolivia at altitudes of up to 2200m (7200 ft.)"

and then I check the Kew site and it says it is a synonym for C. congesta, which is listed as being native "SE. Queensland to NE. New South Wales"

http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?acc...mp;status=false

http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?acc...amp;status=true

MOBOT's TROPICOS has specimens listed as being collected in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, and Paraguay

http://www.tropicos.org/name/18405819

Kew has a C. sellowiana listed as being naive to this part of South America;

http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/namedetail.do?acc...amp;status=true

Now I'm confused !

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks for nice picture! I also believed Cordyline dracaenoides came from Brazil. I hope these tolerate some frost! :)

Norway zone 8a

Thanks for nice picture! I also believed Cordyline dracaenoides came from Brazil. I hope these tolerate some frost! :)

My guess is that it will probably take -5 C with some damage. I have seeds I'll start and I'll give them a try outdoors. We can compare notes in a few years. :D

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

• 3 weeks later...

Cordyline dracaenoides is native from south Brazil in the same habitats where Araucaria angustifolia ,Butia eriospatha and Trithrinax acanthocoma grow. This can be very frosty sometimes with temperatures of -10´C.

Nigel has grown some in England if I remember well....

I forgot to say : It´s certainly hardier than C.fruticosa. This look like crap with hard frosts and the native ´´uvarana´´,well it´s in his enviroment.....

Edited by Alberto

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Pic

post-465-1234574803_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

Closer

post-465-1234574911_thumb.jpg

Another plant

post-465-1234575073_thumb.jpg

closer

post-465-1234575206_thumb.jpg

Ja,allemaal dracaenoides! :)

Thanks for great pictures! :drool: Maybe I am going to try planting one in the ground outside, I now think they have a chanse to survive my winters after all.

Norway zone 8a

Alberto,

thanks for posting those photos. Its a nice looking plant. I look foward to ours getting that size.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Viking:

Welcome to our club!

I think you'd be surprised at what will grow for you in Norway, with the warming of the Gulf Stream, etc.

You should certainly be able to grow anything that will make it in Ireland, Scotland, Northern England and the Netherlands.

Be bold! Push the boundaries! Like your ancestors . . . . . (and mine, I think . . . . )

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 years later...

Wow! Amazing pictures of a plant unknown to my California eyes. Thanks.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I have a Cordyline dracaenoides growing in a pot here, it survives but only just as it obviously likes cooler temperatures than I can offer it. I suppose at least it survives.....those damned New Zealand Cordyline australis hybrids are totally hopeless here.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Ja,allemaal dracaenoides! :)

Was that Dutch ?

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours