Hawaiian Woodrose, Merremia Tuberosa

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:12 AM

Seven years old this month, ( started under lights ), this vine gets a yellow flower, then pushes it out, and closes up, and starts swelling, and swelling, flowering cycle is from late Oct. to early Feb., it will be opening up in a few weeks, I'm afraid its host the Live Oak tree, unfortunately didn't make it, " second blooms " seed pods are not produced until the third year, and only occur at elevations above 12 feet or so, because of a fungus it is susceptible to, as it gets older, ( over five years old ), it develops a near immunity to this fungus, and will produce pods at ground elevation, once it is over six or so, the dried flowers, ( seed pods ), are highly sought after, and are very rare in the continental U. S., Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• 11.jpg
  • 22.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:13 AM

Also

Attached Thumbnails

• 33.jpg
  • 3d_1_b.JPG
  • b215_1.JPG

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#3 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:15 AM

I allow it to creep out during flower pod production, and cut it back later, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• 44.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#4 fastfeat

fastfeat

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:33 AM

Is this plant on the Florida noxious list?
SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.
'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...
_____
"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

#5 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:06 AM

These germinated this spring from seeds that fell in spring of 2008, in less than 36 months it cover this Oak and killed it, in three years I harvested over 100 dozen wood roses, this is just about the fastest growing plant on earth, the first photo is from June 15 2011, the second photo is today June 25 2011, today, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3527.jpg
  • IMG_3609.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#6 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,391 posts
  • Location:Darling Downs and Sunshine Coast Hinterland, Queensland , Australia

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Is this a straight out "Show and Tell" thread ? :hmm:

It does have that noxious look.. :angry:
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

#7 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:47 PM

Is this a straight out "Show and Tell" thread ? :hmm:

It does have that noxious look.. :angry:

Hi Wal, only if it's Merremia tuberosa, Ed
MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#8 tropicbreeze

tropicbreeze

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:19 PM

A lot of Merremias are noxious weeds in various places around the world. And that includes some of their relatives, the Ipomoeas.

#9 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,391 posts
  • Location:Darling Downs and Sunshine Coast Hinterland, Queensland , Australia

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Here's some info on these guys (yes I have given credit - see below)

Plant Name

Scientific Name: Merremia tuberosa
Synonyms: Ipomoea tuberosa, Operculina tuberosa
Common Names: Woodrose, Spanish Arborvine, Hawaiian Wood-rose, Wood Rose, Yellow Morning-glory, Spanish Woodbine

Plant Characteristics

Duration: Perennial
Growth Habit: Vine
Hawaii Native Status: Introduced. This naturalized ornamental garden plant is native to Mexico and Central America, but it is now a pantropical weed.

Flower Color: Yellow

Height: To 33 feet (10 m) tall

Description: The flowers are morning-glory-like, funnel-shaped, and 2 1/3 inches (6 cm) across. The flowers are followed by distinctive, shiny, light brown, wooden rose-like seed capsules containing 4 large, black seeds. The unusual seed capsules can be used in dried flower arrangements. The leaves are green, hairless, alternate, and palmately lobed with usually 7 lanceolate to elliptic lobes with pointed, tapering tips. The central leaf lobe is the largest. The stems are slender, hairless, twining, and green near the tips and woody near the base.

In Hawaii, Woodrose vines grow in low to middle elevation, mesic (moderately wet) forests.

Special Characteristics

Poisonous The seeds are poisonous.

Classification

Kingdom: Plantae Plants
Subkingdom: Tracheobionta Vascular plants
Superdivision: Spermatophyta Seed plants
Division: Magnoliophyta Flowering plants
Class: Magnoliopsida Dicotyledons
Subclass: Asteridae
Order: Solanales
Family: Convolvulaceae Morning-glory family
Genus: Merremia Dennst. ex Endl. woodrose
Species: Merremia tuberosa (L.) Rendle Spanish arborvine

Copyright 2011 T. Beth Kinsey of Hawaiian Plants and Tropical Flowers
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

#10 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the info Wal, Ed
MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#11 santoury

santoury

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 06:34 AM

I need some in my plant house! Anyone track down some seeds or youngsters for me? :) Thanks, Jude
I write a plant newsletter, if you would like to be added on my e-mail list! Let me know.

#12 Wai`anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

It's a DAMM weed here on the west side. I'm trying to kill plants all over my yard. I think birds may be moving seeds around. Mine is probably a diff variety as the flowers are on the small side.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage.  No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

#13 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:26 AM

30 day update, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4009.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#14 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:00 AM

30 day update, What you're looking at here, is several seedlings that germinated 4 months ago in april, but have been in the soil since the mother plant went to seed in Feb. 2008, then froze to death, shortly after the photo was taken, at the top of the thread, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4404.jpg
  • IMG_4399.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#15 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

30 day update, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4592.jpg
  • IMG_4587.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#16 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:38 AM

30 day update, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4846.jpg
  • IMG_4851.jpg
  • IMG_4853.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#17 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:37 AM

Well, it's been 28 days, and it's not to often we get cloudy days without rain, and if the sun stays out the flowers close up, never to open again, since they are only seedlings, around 9 months old, they will not produce seed pods, (wood roses) usually until the third year, btw, don't try this at home, if it doesn't freeze where you live (eventually), because it'll take a truck full of liquid Nitrogen to eradicate it, I didn't know this when I first planted it out next to the wood that used to be next to my house, and when the guy next door bought the property, and built a house (he bought several lots), he found out that it had engulfed everything, and had smothered and killed all the two and three inch Live Oaks on his property, and only the Serenoa repens (Saw palmetto) had survived, I moved the mother plant as soon as I realized what was happening but it was to late it had already gone to seed at least two years in a row, so I donated this Live Oak on the north side of my house (my backyard) to the project, in memory of my great aunt, who watched the Zeros bomb Pearl Harbor, from her balcony that day, and always had a dozen Woodroses on her dresser till the day she died, before the freeze of Feb. 09, I sold nearly 100 dozen Woodroses on E-bay, and still have fifty or sixty on antique marble topped tables, and dressers, and such around the house that belonged to her, and my Grandmother, God (nature) rest their souls, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4933.jpg
  • IMG_4937.jpg
  • IMG_4939.jpg
  • IMG_4940.jpg
  • IMG_4942.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#18 Alex

Alex

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 65 posts
  • Location:9a Hot in the summer 95-105/ cold winters 30-35 lows

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

Nice Ed. I have a few seedlings right now , but have decline in growth because of our cold nights here. Did you sell plants of these vines on ebay? Wow I do not see them any were except seeds. Do you know if I should keep my seedlings indoors until spring or have them outdoors for the rest of the winter, but take care of them if there be frost? Thanks

#19 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

Nice Ed. I have a few seedlings right now , but have decline in growth because of our cold nights here. Did you sell plants of these vines on ebay? Wow I do not see them any were except seeds. Do you know if I should keep my seedlings indoors until spring or have them outdoors for the rest of the winter, but take care of them if there be frost? Thanks

Hi Alex, where do you live? As far as I know, the seven year old specimen at the top of the post, is the only specimen ever to be cultivated, and produce Woodroses on the mainland, here's some more info from Dave's Garden, and some more photos, the winter of 07/08 it hit 31 or 32, and it came back from the roots, but 29 the next winter killed it, the neighbor sprays weed killer once a week, on what was the woods, but they just keep coming back from the old seed that fell years if they're in the ground, dig them up, and put them in pots, if it's gonna freeze, i have several in pots I plan on rushing in the garage if it's gonna freeze, I never sold any plants, only seeds, and flowers, but I did have an offer in plants for sale here, but no response, Ed

http://davesgarden.c...es/pf/go/53475/
MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#20 Alex

Alex

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 65 posts
  • Location:9a Hot in the summer 95-105/ cold winters 30-35 lows

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

I live in Moreno Valley, Ca zone 9B. We had one frost a few weeks ago for the first time as a cold front came in. But my seedlings were in a greenhouse, so they did not get hit hard. I do see that they my seedlings start to discolor the leaves when it gets colder. I have seen that they really slow down considerably as the cold weather approaches. Do you know if the ARGYREIA NERVOSA - HAWAIIAN BABY WOODROSE does better with cold? I have one along my fence line that seems to take the cold weather better, even though it has slowed down. But the leaves of the Argyreia Nervosa have not change in color and seem to be more hardier so far.

Hi Alex, where do you live? As far as I know, the seven year old specimen at the top of the post, is the only specimen ever to be cultivated, and produce Woodroses on the mainland, here's some more info from Dave's Garden, and some more photos, the winter of 07/08 it hit 31 or 32, and it came back from the roots, but 29 the next winter killed it, the neighbor sprays weed killer once a week, on what was the woods, but they just keep coming back from the old seed that fell years if they're in the ground, dig them up, and put them in pots, if it's gonna freeze, i have several in pots I plan on rushing in the garage if it's gonna freeze, I never sold any plants, only seeds, and flowers, but I did have an offer in plants for sale here, but no response, Ed

#21 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:13 AM

I live in Moreno Valley, Ca zone 9B. We had one frost a few weeks ago for the first time as a cold front came in. But my seedlings were in a greenhouse, so they did not get hit hard. I do see that they my seedlings start to discolor the leaves when it gets colder. I have seen that they really slow down considerably as the cold weather approaches. Do you know if the ARGYREIA NERVOSA - HAWAIIAN BABY WOODROSE does better with cold? I have one along my fence line that seems to take the cold weather better, even though it has slowed down. But the leaves of the Argyreia Nervosa have not change in color and seem to be more hardier so far.

Hi Alex I have no experience with the other, but here is some info on Dave's Garden, Ed http://davesgarden.c...es/pf/go/54448/
MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#22 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:40 AM

30 day update, the branch on the left collapses in a storm on the 12th, after closer examination I notice these 9 month old seedlings are going to seed, this is virtually unheard of, as a rule not until the third year, and never at ground elevation until forth or fifth year, one generation, and it has developed an immunity to that black fungus that it gets on the young seed pods, if it doesn't freeze this year, Feb. I'll have woodroses, fist time since 08, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5053.jpg
  • IMG_5056.jpg
  • IMG_5058.jpg
  • IMG_5060.jpg
  • IMG_5062.jpg
  • IMG_5063.jpg
  • IMG_5067.jpg
  • IMG_5070.jpg
  • IMG_5072.jpg
  • IMG_5073.jpg
  • IMG_5074.jpg
  • IMG_5078.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#23 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

Near deadly update, after Tue. nights 30 min. at 32 even, and 2.5 hours at 31, I waited 4 days to get a better look at just what's left, they're still going to produce some Woodroses, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5171.jpg
  • IMG_5172.jpg
  • IMG_5174.jpg
  • IMG_5176.jpg
  • IMG_5179.jpg
  • IMG_5180.jpg
  • IMG_5182.jpg
  • IMG_5183.jpg
  • IMG_5184.jpg
  • IMG_5185.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#24 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

Some flowers still open, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5252.jpg
  • IMG_5260.jpg
  • IMG_5267.jpg
  • IMG_5277.jpg
  • IMG_5288.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#25 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Two days later, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5337.jpg
  • IMG_5338.jpg
  • IMG_5339.jpg
  • IMG_5343.jpg
  • IMG_5346.jpg
  • IMG_5350.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#26 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:03 AM

Woodroses nearly dry, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5355.jpg
  • IMG_5356.jpg
  • IMG_5372.jpg
  • IMG_5373.jpg
  • IMG_5375.jpg
  • IMG_5378.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#27 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 07:33 AM

Seedlings now nearing 14 months old, made it through 31 degrees, but I don't know if the old dead tree is going to hold up to this summers storms, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5746.jpg
  • IMG_5748.jpg
  • IMG_5752.jpg
  • IMG_5755.jpg
  • IMG_5758.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#28 monkeyranch

monkeyranch

• IPS MEMBER
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

It's like some 1960s B-movie sci-fi creature. I wonder what it's going to attack next? And it sends out its minion seedlings to colonize new planets. Maybe we can make it do battle with some kudzu. Too bad the frost demon stops it; my neighbor has a junk pile I'd like to see if it could digest. The orderly side of the universe in me says be careful, it's invasive. But the chaos, also in us all, loves seeing these vigorous plant monsters roam the cosmos, looking for dinner. Thanks for the update. Hope the woodroses cure up nicely.

Edited by monkeyranch, 27 May 2012 - 10:35 AM.

#29 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Just a few photos I took this morning, had to get these taken , and posted, both my intuition, and my meteorological data tell me there's a hurricane coming next month, if so, even 60 mph winds will take what's left of this dead Oak to the ground, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6435.jpg
  • IMG_6440.jpg
  • IMG_6461.jpg
  • IMG_6463.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#30 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

Starting to flower, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6606.jpg
  • IMG_6608.jpg
  • IMG_6614.jpg
  • IMG_6620.jpg
  • IMG_6621.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#31 Moose

Moose

• IPS MEMBER
  • 5,105 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:40 AM

I need some in my plant house! Anyone track down some seeds or youngsters for me? :) Thanks, Jude

:bemused:
Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

#32 chris78

chris78

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:39 AM

ARGYREIA NERVOSA - HAWAIIAN BABY WOODROSE..... I found this plant also tender to frost and freezing.. I had 2 plants I grew from seeds a friend brough back from Hawaii... I planted them on a fence, they grew fast, flowered and seeded but both plants were frozen to the ground from mid 20's temperatures.....

I through they were deid but in July one of them started to return from the roots... after a slow start, it grew fast and flowered and set seed again.... The second one never returned :angry:

The leaves are easly damaged from any frost... I am not so sure how well it will do long term in my zone 9b climate :hmm:
It loves the heat and full sun :rolleyes:..... and if given this it grows very fast..

The flower are not so great, light blue in color and not alot of them at any time... but the leaves look great and add a nice tropical look ...

Below is a picture of my plant a few days age...

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 057.jpg

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA
Low Desert...... Zone 9b
Jan ave 66 high and 40 low
July ave 105 high and 80 low
About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F
About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert
Posted Image

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'
Posted Image

#33 chris78

chris78

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:40 AM

Picture of seeds heads.. after flowering...

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 060.jpg

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA
Low Desert...... Zone 9b
Jan ave 66 high and 40 low
July ave 105 high and 80 low
About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F
About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert
Posted Image

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'
Posted Image

#34 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

Picture of seeds heads.. after flowering...

Nice looking vie Chris, but they only have the name Woodrose in common, Ed
MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#35 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:05 AM

Finally in full flower, and it provides the Honey bees with pollen, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_6917.jpg
  • IMG_6924.jpg
  • IMG_6926.jpg
  • IMG_6928.jpg
  • IMG_6930.jpg
  • IMG_6933.jpg
  • IMG_6935.jpg
  • IMG_6936.jpg
  • IMG_6939.jpg
  • IMG_6943.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#36 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:23 PM

Just wanted to post this, I had no idea it grew here, Ed

http://www.saintluci...e/merrtube.html
MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#37 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

Today after two hours at 31.9, a few weeks ago, lost some buds and knocked it back a bit, it looked like it snowed in the back yard (north side of the house) but there's no canopy, they'll be opening in another month if it doesn't freeze, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• hwIMG_7267.jpg
  • hwIMG_7268.jpg
  • hwIMG_7269.jpg
  • hwIMG_7270.jpg
  • hwIMG_7271.jpg
  • hwIMG_7286.jpg
  • hwIMG_7287.jpg
  • hwIMG_7290.jpg
  • hwIMG_7291.jpg
  • hwIMG_7292.jpg
  • hwIMG_7295.jpg
  • hwIMG_7297.jpg
  • hwIMG_7298.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#38 palmmermaid

palmmermaid

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

Awful vine! Very invasive and right up there with old world climbing fern and air potato. Vines are some of the worst invasive plants around.
Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips
West Palm Beach, FL

#39 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

Just wanted to share this, Ed

http://www.starrenvi...berosa&o=plants

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

#40 edric

edric

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

A few started opening at day break, some just didn't make the two hours at 32, Ed

Attached Thumbnails

• hwIMG_7532.jpg
  • hwIMG_7530.jpg
  • hwIMG_7525.jpg
  • hwIMG_7533.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users