IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hawaiian Woodrose, Merremia Tuberosa

edric

Seven years old this month, ( started under lights ), this vine gets a yellow flower, then pushes it out, and closes up, and starts swelling, and swelling, flowering cycle is from late Oct. to early Feb., it will be opening up in a few weeks, I'm afraid its host the Live Oak tree, unfortunately didn't make it, " second blooms " seed pods are not produced until the third year, and only occur at elevations above 12 feet or so, because of a fungus it is susceptible to, as it gets older, ( over five years old ), it develops a near immunity to this fungus, and will produce pods at ground elevation, once it is over six or so, the dried flowers, ( seed pods ), are highly sought after, and are very rare in the continental U. S., Ed

post-3109-1232284294_thumb.jpg

post-3109-1232284326_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Is this plant on the Florida noxious list?

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

• 2 years later...

These germinated this spring from seeds that fell in spring of 2008, in less than 36 months it cover this Oak and killed it, in three years I harvested over 100 dozen wood roses, this is just about the fastest growing plant on earth, the first photo is from June 15 2011, the second photo is today June 25 2011, today, Ed

post-3109-044556100 1309010581_thumb.jpg

post-3109-018744000 1309010774_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Is this a straight out "Show and Tell" thread ? :hmm:

It does have that noxious look.. :angry:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Is this a straight out "Show and Tell" thread ? :hmm:

It does have that noxious look.. :angry:

Hi Wal, only if it's Merremia tuberosa, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

A lot of Merremias are noxious weeds in various places around the world. And that includes some of their relatives, the Ipomoeas.

Here's some info on these guys (yes I have given credit - see below)

Plant Name

Scientific Name: Merremia tuberosa

Synonyms: Ipomoea tuberosa, Operculina tuberosa

Common Names: Woodrose, Spanish Arborvine, Hawaiian Wood-rose, Wood Rose, Yellow Morning-glory, Spanish Woodbine

Plant Characteristics

Duration: Perennial

Growth Habit: Vine

Hawaii Native Status: Introduced. This naturalized ornamental garden plant is native to Mexico and Central America, but it is now a pantropical weed.

Flower Color: Yellow

Height: To 33 feet (10 m) tall

Description: The flowers are morning-glory-like, funnel-shaped, and 2 1/3 inches (6 cm) across. The flowers are followed by distinctive, shiny, light brown, wooden rose-like seed capsules containing 4 large, black seeds. The unusual seed capsules can be used in dried flower arrangements. The leaves are green, hairless, alternate, and palmately lobed with usually 7 lanceolate to elliptic lobes with pointed, tapering tips. The central leaf lobe is the largest. The stems are slender, hairless, twining, and green near the tips and woody near the base.

In Hawaii, Woodrose vines grow in low to middle elevation, mesic (moderately wet) forests.

Special Characteristics

Poisonous – The seeds are poisonous.

Classification

Kingdom: Plantae – Plants

Subkingdom: Tracheobionta – Vascular plants

Superdivision: Spermatophyta – Seed plants

Division: Magnoliophyta – Flowering plants

Class: Magnoliopsida – Dicotyledons

Subclass: Asteridae

Order: Solanales

Family: Convolvulaceae – Morning-glory family

Genus: Merremia Dennst. ex Endl. – woodrose

Species: Merremia tuberosa (L.) Rendle – Spanish arborvine

Copyright © 2011 T. Beth Kinsey of Hawaiian Plants and Tropical Flowers

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I need some in my plant house! Anyone track down some seeds or youngsters for me? :) Thanks, Jude

It's a DAMM weed here on the west side. I'm trying to kill plants all over my yard. I think birds may be moving seeds around. Mine is probably a diff variety as the flowers are on the small side.

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

30 day update, What you're looking at here, is several seedlings that germinated 4 months ago in april, but have been in the soil since the mother plant went to seed in Feb. 2008, then froze to death, shortly after the photo was taken, at the top of the thread, Ed

post-3109-061931900 1314277214_thumb.jpg

post-3109-060834300 1314277230_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been 28 days, and it's not to often we get cloudy days without rain, and if the sun stays out the flowers close up, never to open again, since they are only seedlings, around 9 months old, they will not produce seed pods, (wood roses) usually until the third year, btw, don't try this at home, if it doesn't freeze where you live (eventually), because it'll take a truck full of liquid Nitrogen to eradicate it, I didn't know this when I first planted it out next to the wood that used to be next to my house, and when the guy next door bought the property, and built a house (he bought several lots), he found out that it had engulfed everything, and had smothered and killed all the two and three inch Live Oaks on his property, and only the Serenoa repens (Saw palmetto) had survived, I moved the mother plant as soon as I realized what was happening but it was to late it had already gone to seed at least two years in a row, so I donated this Live Oak on the north side of my house (my backyard) to the project, in memory of my great aunt, who watched the Zeros bomb Pearl Harbor, from her balcony that day, and always had a dozen Woodroses on her dresser till the day she died, before the freeze of Feb. 09, I sold nearly 100 dozen Woodroses on E-bay, and still have fifty or sixty on antique marble topped tables, and dressers, and such around the house that belonged to her, and my Grandmother, God (nature) rest their souls, Ed

post-3109-034047800 1322076931_thumb.jpg

post-3109-027589200 1322076950_thumb.jpg

post-3109-035443500 1322076972_thumb.jpg

post-3109-008698700 1322076997_thumb.jpg

post-3109-038352500 1322077016_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Nice Ed. I have a few seedlings right now , but have decline in growth because of our cold nights here. Did you sell plants of these vines on ebay? Wow I do not see them any were except seeds. Do you know if I should keep my seedlings indoors until spring or have them outdoors for the rest of the winter, but take care of them if there be frost? Thanks

Nice Ed. I have a few seedlings right now , but have decline in growth because of our cold nights here. Did you sell plants of these vines on ebay? Wow I do not see them any were except seeds. Do you know if I should keep my seedlings indoors until spring or have them outdoors for the rest of the winter, but take care of them if there be frost? Thanks

Hi Alex, where do you live? As far as I know, the seven year old specimen at the top of the post, is the only specimen ever to be cultivated, and produce Woodroses on the mainland, here's some more info from Dave's Garden, and some more photos, the winter of 07/08 it hit 31 or 32, and it came back from the roots, but 29 the next winter killed it, the neighbor sprays weed killer once a week, on what was the woods, but they just keep coming back from the old seed that fell years if they're in the ground, dig them up, and put them in pots, if it's gonna freeze, i have several in pots I plan on rushing in the garage if it's gonna freeze, I never sold any plants, only seeds, and flowers, but I did have an offer in plants for sale here, but no response, Ed

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53475/

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

I live in Moreno Valley, Ca zone 9B. We had one frost a few weeks ago for the first time as a cold front came in. But my seedlings were in a greenhouse, so they did not get hit hard. I do see that they my seedlings start to discolor the leaves when it gets colder. I have seen that they really slow down considerably as the cold weather approaches. Do you know if the ARGYREIA NERVOSA - HAWAIIAN BABY WOODROSE does better with cold? I have one along my fence line that seems to take the cold weather better, even though it has slowed down. But the leaves of the Argyreia Nervosa have not change in color and seem to be more hardier so far.

Hi Alex, where do you live? As far as I know, the seven year old specimen at the top of the post, is the only specimen ever to be cultivated, and produce Woodroses on the mainland, here's some more info from Dave's Garden, and some more photos, the winter of 07/08 it hit 31 or 32, and it came back from the roots, but 29 the next winter killed it, the neighbor sprays weed killer once a week, on what was the woods, but they just keep coming back from the old seed that fell years if they're in the ground, dig them up, and put them in pots, if it's gonna freeze, i have several in pots I plan on rushing in the garage if it's gonna freeze, I never sold any plants, only seeds, and flowers, but I did have an offer in plants for sale here, but no response, Ed

http://davesgarden.c...es/pf/go/53475/

I live in Moreno Valley, Ca zone 9B. We had one frost a few weeks ago for the first time as a cold front came in. But my seedlings were in a greenhouse, so they did not get hit hard. I do see that they my seedlings start to discolor the leaves when it gets colder. I have seen that they really slow down considerably as the cold weather approaches. Do you know if the ARGYREIA NERVOSA - HAWAIIAN BABY WOODROSE does better with cold? I have one along my fence line that seems to take the cold weather better, even though it has slowed down. But the leaves of the Argyreia Nervosa have not change in color and seem to be more hardier so far.

Hi Alex I have no experience with the other, but here is some info on Dave's Garden, Ed http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54448/

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 4 weeks later...

30 day update, the branch on the left collapses in a storm on the 12th, after closer examination I notice these 9 month old seedlings are going to seed, this is virtually unheard of, as a rule not until the third year, and never at ground elevation until forth or fifth year, one generation, and it has developed an immunity to that black fungus that it gets on the young seed pods, if it doesn't freeze this year, Feb. I'll have woodroses, fist time since 08, Ed

post-3109-058059000 1324564629_thumb.jpg

post-3109-014139200 1324564659_thumb.jpg

post-3109-072572100 1324564683_thumb.jpg

post-3109-006794500 1324564702_thumb.jpg

post-3109-023971500 1324564719_thumb.jpg

post-3109-021990600 1324564736_thumb.jpg

post-3109-083343300 1324564752_thumb.jpg

post-3109-067240900 1324564769_thumb.jpg

post-3109-085762200 1324564800_thumb.jpg

post-3109-038037100 1324564821_thumb.jpg

post-3109-003000200 1324564839_thumb.jpg

post-3109-039218700 1324564851_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Near deadly update, after Tue. nights 30 min. at 32 even, and 2.5 hours at 31, I waited 4 days to get a better look at just what's left, they're still going to produce some Woodroses, Ed

post-3109-077755300 1325964443_thumb.jpg

post-3109-079402900 1325964463_thumb.jpg

post-3109-095983800 1325964481_thumb.jpg

post-3109-028088000 1325964502_thumb.jpg

post-3109-069970400 1325964521_thumb.jpg

post-3109-062418600 1325964543_thumb.jpg

post-3109-015006400 1325964568_thumb.jpg

post-3109-097984300 1325964603_thumb.jpg

post-3109-023897400 1325964623_thumb.jpg

post-3109-008194600 1325964645_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Seedlings now nearing 14 months old, made it through 31 degrees, but I don't know if the old dead tree is going to hold up to this summers storms, Ed

post-3109-074764700 1338132697_thumb.jpg

post-3109-023673600 1338132716_thumb.jpg

post-3109-039037000 1338132735_thumb.jpg

post-3109-086169900 1338132754_thumb.jpg

post-3109-066482700 1338132777_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

It's like some 1960s B-movie sci-fi creature. I wonder what it's going to attack next? And it sends out its minion seedlings to colonize new planets. Maybe we can make it do battle with some kudzu. Too bad the frost demon stops it; my neighbor has a junk pile I'd like to see if it could digest. The orderly side of the universe in me says be careful, it's invasive. But the chaos, also in us all, loves seeing these vigorous plant monsters roam the cosmos, looking for dinner. Thanks for the update. Hope the woodroses cure up nicely.

Edited by monkeyranch

• 2 months later...

Just a few photos I took this morning, had to get these taken , and posted, both my intuition, and my meteorological data tell me there's a hurricane coming next month, if so, even 60 mph winds will take what's left of this dead Oak to the ground, Ed

post-3109-0-06501300-1345501575_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-99196400-1345501589_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-59519200-1345501604_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-90683800-1345501620_thumb.jp

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 1 month later...

I need some in my plant house! Anyone track down some seeds or youngsters for me? :) Thanks, Jude

:bemused:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

ARGYREIA NERVOSA - HAWAIIAN BABY WOODROSE..... I found this plant also tender to frost and freezing.. I had 2 plants I grew from seeds a friend brough back from Hawaii... I planted them on a fence, they grew fast, flowered and seeded but both plants were frozen to the ground from mid 20's temperatures.....

I through they were deid but in July one of them started to return from the roots... after a slow start, it grew fast and flowered and set seed again.... The second one never returned :angry:

The leaves are easly damaged from any frost... I am not so sure how well it will do long term in my zone 9b climate :hmm:

It loves the heat and full sun :rolleyes:..... and if given this it grows very fast..

The flower are not so great, light blue in color and not alot of them at any time... but the leaves look great and add a nice tropical look ...

Below is a picture of my plant a few days age...

post-111-0-54962800-1351525147_thumb.jpg

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Picture of seeds heads.. after flowering...

post-111-0-46100900-1351525235_thumb.jpg

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Picture of seeds heads.. after flowering...

Nice looking vie Chris, but they only have the name Woodrose in common, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today after two hours at 31.9, a few weeks ago, lost some buds and knocked it back a bit, it looked like it snowed in the back yard (north side of the house) but there's no canopy, they'll be opening in another month if it doesn't freeze, Ed

post-3109-0-33130600-1357678000_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-45197400-1357678012_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-41479600-1357678023_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-27712400-1357678035_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-34420700-1357678046_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-67712800-1357678056_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-54175300-1357678068_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-04979100-1357678080_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-82416200-1357678099_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-59854800-1357678137_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-78359800-1357678149_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-38755100-1357678165_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-23065700-1357678178_thumb.jp

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Awful vine! Very invasive and right up there with old world climbing fern and air potato. Vines are some of the worst invasive plants around.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...