IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

GARDEN PHOTOS

BobbyinNY

Hi everyone... just a few pics of the garden as of today....

post-57-1151515652_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

another

post-57-1151515692_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

and more

post-57-1151515738_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

more...

post-57-1151515757_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

and more

post-57-1151515780_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

more...

post-57-1151515823_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

more...

post-57-1151515847_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

and one more..

post-57-1151515875_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

Good to see your getting that tropical thing going on. The deck's nice and I even spotted the tiki torch in the background. Being a third generation Floridian, your right that most people down here are from up north. Maybe if more people see how you have created your little tropical look, they would all copy you and stop moving down to South Fla. LOL Are you going to plant any more palms and what do you do with all your tropicals when it starts geting colder?

Best,

JEFF

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bobby,

Good to see your getting that tropical thing going on. The deck's nice and I even spotted the tiki torch in the background. Being a third generation Floridian, your right that most people down here are from up north. Maybe if more people see how you have created your little tropical look, they would all copy you and stop moving down to South Fla. LOL Are you going to plant any more palms and what do you do with all your tropicals when it starts geting colder?

Best,

JEFF

Hi Jeff...

Yeah, it's ALOT of work keeping palms up here. In the winter I send most of my large palms (Adonidias, CIDP's, & Queen) to several different Nurseries. The small stuff I put in a portable greenhouse I bought and use a space heater to keep them happy (that banana in the background I bought as a small 1-gal plant last year, now it's 10ft tall). The Roebelleni & the P. Elegans I'll protect with another greenhouse-type structure I bought. The C. Humillus that I have planted I'm just gonna put a cold-frame over and see what happens. I hear it might make it through the winter fine - The King Sagos went through my winter last year with absolutely no protection from the cold - except that I kept them under a canopy to prevent them from staying wet.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I like the use of the bamboo around the pots in photo #1, I might have to steal the idea.

GAry

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Ditto on the creative use of the bamboo screening.  hats off to you, Bobby...

Norm

Kailua,  Hawaii

Windward side of Oahu

Famous kite surfing beach

Great Garden! Your neighbors should thank you!!!!

Love that banana. They sure do grow fast! Easy to keep happy. You must not suffer from bad winds, I noticed how nice it's leaves look.

Great job!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Great Garden! Your neighbors should thank you!!!!

Love that banana. They sure do grow fast! Easy to keep happy. You must not suffer from bad winds, I noticed how nice it's leaves look.

Great job!

It's funny that you mention that, Scott... We usually don't have devastating winds - I'm about 10 miles from the ocean so it doesn't get too breezy, but, today (thanks to that tropical disturbance) we had 40mph gusts and it kinda tore up some of the leaves on the banana - but for the most part, it's pretty calm here

I like the use of the bamboo around the pots in photo #1, I might have to steal the idea.

GAry

That's cool :) ..... Yeah, I couldn't think of any better way to camoflague those black nursery pots.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby!

Bet the folks on Long Guy Land all freak out when they see your yard!

Very nice.

Reminds me of Clevage-town, Ohio, at that time of year.  So green.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very nice, hope it lives through the winter, and dont tell me you planed a majesty in the ground?

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Bobby!

Bet the folks on Long Guy Land all freak out when they see your yard!

Very nice.

Reminds me of Clevage-town, Ohio, at that time of year.  So green.

dave

Yeah, Dave... I get the same question over and over again.. "What the heck do you do in the winter"... And my response is always the same: "Wanna help?"...lol

btw, where is "Cleavage-town?"... sounds like a place I'd like to visit..hehehehe

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Hey Bobby! It's nice to see people on the east coast doin' it tropical style!! If I didn't know better I'd think you lived in california or florida. Boy, I can only imagine the work it takes to protect these trees when it gets cold!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Very nice, hope it lives through the winter, and dont tell me you planed a majesty in the ground

that's Pot-planted, Palmy.... He'll come out when November comes :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby that is sweeeet!!!!  Nice job.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Bobby that is sweeeet!!!!  Nice job.

Thanks alot, Ray..... btw.. I can't wait to come down to your area and visit - check out the garden and do some partying :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

Lookin' good! Keep us posted on the developements through the seasons.

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool:

Bobby,

I am amazed at what you've accomplished there!  I could hardly believe that it's up in Long Island - a beautiful tropical oasis that far north.  It must be a lot of work when winter comes, but what a reward to have such a place the rest of the year.

I love the bamboo wraps around the black pots and how it goes with the deck.  

I still can't believe how healthy and happy those palms are!  Very impressive.

today (thanks to that tropical disturbance) we had 40mph gusts and it kinda tore up some of the leaves on the banana
 A genuine FL experience!  :D   Seriously, though, I hope you didn't get what the mid-Atlantic and Northeast got, it looked grim.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

A genuine FL experience!     Seriously, though, I hope you didn't get what the mid-Atlantic and Northeast got, it looked grim.

We were spared most of the damaging floods, but we got some serious wind gusts - knocked over a couple palms - luckily no damage

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

look forward to seeing  it in the flesh

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Hi Bobby

Following your posts over the last year or so and seeing the palms actually staying healthy and growing, you are one amazing fellow and certainly thinking out of the box when gardening, well done and keep the photos and obviously hard work going, I for one look forward to seeing your plan progress.

The Palm Nut

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

looks real nice, very crisp and clean , no weeds , you can tell you spend a lot of time in the garden , all palms are very healthy and green, were are your cidps in the front ?   have you ever tryed bamboo , it would really add to the tropical look and help your micro climate.  you bananas must love all that rain.

HeyBobby,What do your neighbors say?..have you ever been contacted by newspapers? If that isn't a Saturday supplement or Garden page item i dont know what is. Ptychosperma in New York should be CNN worthy...

what did you pay for that one?

looks real nice, very crisp and clean , no weeds , you can tell you spend a lot of time in the garden , all palms are very healthy and green, were are your cidps in the front ?   have you ever tryed bamboo , it would really add to the tropical look and help your micro climate.  you bananas must love all that rain.

Thanks, Mike :).... Yeah, I have some golden Cane bamboo planted in the back - rated to zone 6. Bamboo is starting to get real popular around here - a few remote neighbors have it - when I first saw it last summer I was perplexed cause I didn't think it would grow here, but when I saw it still green during January, I was blown away and said to myself: I have to get it  - so I planted a few runners back by where my bananas are.  Yeah, I spend alot of time weeding - not as bad as it would've been though because I put down black cloth under alot of my stuff to kill the weeds and I dug round holes where I planted most of my palms.  The bananas are great - they grow like weeds - they are a great plant for impatient types like me - Especially being a New Yorker  -lol.. we want it now...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Robert,

You have a lot more dedication than me to keep things growing well.  I guess you get lazy in the tropics.  Your collection looks great.

Don K.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Bob,

Well it is a bit of a story.  But, I have from time to time looked at the forum.  The new site is great.  To sum things up I am still here hanging out in the jungle.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

what did you pay for that one?

Stan, that P. Elegans set me back $250.00 (including Delivery which was $100.00 on a flatbed semi)... It's getting easier to get very large palms up here as they're becoming extremely desireable with the restaurant owners on the water.

DK..... thanks alot.. Yeah, it's definitely alot of work - but I'm really looking forward to moving my entire collection about 1000 miles south - than I can have something else to worry about.. lol..

I already told my wife that when (not if) we move I will require a separate truck just for the Palms & Tropicals.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS