IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

<<<CYCADS>>>

DippyD

Looking to get some rare Encephalartos species to add to the collection...willing to purchase or trade.

Please PM me!!!

Palmfreek!

Looking to get some rare Encephalartos species to add to the collection...willing to purchase or trade.

Please PM me!!!

Palmfreek!

PALMFREEK, WAZ UP? I still have lots o Horridus and one Lehmannii for sale! LMK

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Please PM me!!!

Palmfreek!

Stevo

He said he's looking for RARE encephalartos species. :) Horr. and Lehm. can hardly be considered rare anymore. I saw hundreds and hundreds while out visiting last year. I was amazed on how many I saw there. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Please PM me!!!

Palmfreek!

Stevo

He said he's looking for RARE encephalartos species. :) Horr. and Lehm. can hardly be considered rare anymore. I saw hundreds and hundreds while out visiting last year. I was amazed on how many I saw there. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff

True dat Jeff but Brett contacted me about a month ago with interest in my HORRIDUS so I thought I would throw that out there :) . Besides I'm fresh out of latifrons :mrlooney: . One can never have too many Horridus!

Stevo

post-351-1231855276_thumb.jpg

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Got it......hope the sale goes through. They are great cycads, and even do well here in SoFlo. They just don't get the beautiful blue color as they do for you guys due to all the rain and humidity.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Please PM me!!!

Palmfreek!

Stevo

Jeff

True dat Jeff but Brett contacted me about a month ago with interest in my HORRIDUS so I thought I would throw that out there :) . Besides I'm fresh out of latifrons :mrlooney: . One can never have too many Horridus!

Stevo

Did someone say Encephalartos latifrons :drool: :drool: :drool:

Latfrons.jpg

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Clark, that is a killer plant. But I am not so sure it is a Encephalartos latifrons. I have never seen E. latifrons with blue. Are you sure it is not a Encephalartos arenarius?

Latfrons.jpg

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Clark, that is a killer plant. But I am not so sure it is a Encephalartos latifrons. I have never seen E. latifrons with blue. Are you sure it is not a Encephalartos arenarius?

Latfrons.jpg

i would shoot for arenarius...lats would also have a wider leaflet i believe....something more like this.... let me know when you get some of these clark!

laty.jpg

I would not consider horridus rare either... but ill tell you what for the price and the plants its the best deal around...i hope i can get my hands on them before someone else does ill be in touch. thanks STEVO!!!!

Latfrons.jpg

i would shoot for arenarius...lats would also have a wider leaflet i believe....something more like this.... let me know when you get some of these clark!

laty.jpg

lati.jpg

Looks like Encephalartos latifrons to me...... :hmm:

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Please PM me!!!

Palmfreek!

Here's a few.... :drool: :drool: make sure u don't stick yurself :hmm:

Horrdis111.jpg

We have Dyers, inopinus, cupidus and mackenzii to name a few

The cupidus are all known females

Send me a PM if interested

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

Not sure Clark. Looks like Encephalartos arenarius to me. I have never seen anything but dark green leaflets in Latifrons. Was this sprayed with something? Seems to have a powdery blue to the leaflets in the pic. Encephalartos arenarius can have a very nice overlapping of leaflets like this plant. Is this yours? Maybe post this in the Plant section and Bruce, Phil, or one of the other cycad guys can you an idea. I am sure you would want to be sure as the price difference is huge. ;)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Not sure Clark. Looks like Encephalartos arenarius to me. I have never seen anything but dark green leaflets in Latifrons. Was this sprayed with something? Seems to have a powdery blue to the leaflets in the pic. Encephalartos arenarius can have a very nice overlapping of leaflets like this plant. Is this yours? Maybe post this in the Plant section and Bruce, Phil, or one of the other cycad guys can you an idea. I am sure you would want to be sure as the price difference is huge. ;)

Clark,

Both photos you posted sure look like arenarius to me, the first one is a classic arenarius leaf form and the second is just a funky leaf form and could possibly be a hybrid.

I certainly wouldn't be selling them as latifrons.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

• 3 months later...

I have a plant that was originally purchased in SA in the '80s by Loran Whitelock and was suggested by him to be the naturally occuring E. latifrons x altensteinii hybrid. The photo below is of the plant when it was growing in a greenhouse in Ohio in cooler temperatures and less light. Here in the Southwest it has taken on the bluish frosting of Clark's plant. I do know that Bruce Bursey made a seedling crop in the '80s trying to reproduce this natural hybrid, but the now-mature seedlings just don't have the same character as the naturally occuring plants. Anyway, here is my plant.

Gene

post-3403-1240804995_thumb.jpg

hey gene thats a nice plant you should plop that guy in the ground im sure it would take off