IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Attalea dubia

buffy

There is quite a few near to me at mid levels, probably goes down to around 0C in winter.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

I'm crazy by Attalea dubia, I travel by all its habitat during the time that I stay in Plantarum. I help Lorenzi to do all the maps to the book (Brazilian flora-palms); and I did Attalea, Trithrinax and Desmoncus keys.

This map is the Attalea dubia habitat. The higher place stay in Rio de Janeiro.

However I saw a huge Attalea dubia cultivated in Ponta Grossa - Parana.

Hi Kelen,

Years ago ,I posted photos from 2 of the 3 A.dubias that I know in Ponta Grossa (that is located 19 kilometers from my place) I have 2 plants from both of the trees. Were you saw it? One is growing near a house on the way from Ponta Grossa - Foz do Iguaçú,and the other two in the city near the Centro. I sent some to Toto in Croatia (who germinated 3 out of 10 seeds if I remember well),to Canelgat in Spain . I cleaned a bunch of seeds (a hell of work :rage::blink:) offered the seeds here but at the time there wasn´t much interest in swapping,and most of the seeds lost there viability, until I finally put them all below a tree,but no one germinated after that. I think Attaleas must be FRESH!

On ´´Kelen´s map´´:Ponta Grossa is located +-100 km West from Curitiba near the first big river (Tibagi river)

Alberto, is that: "One is growing near a house on the way from Ponta Grossa - Foz do Iguaçú". A tall Attalea, healthfull!

I would like to see this photos!

I still didn't have any problem with Attalea in cold, they grow very very well in yard (in the city), no damaged... This year I planted my first seedling in the field and It grew absolutely fast! 3 complete leaves (1 meter) and other new leaf in 9 month!!! However in the field, frost is more intense.

So Alberto, Do you think that Attalea from Ponta Grossa take frost? I don't know how cold is Ponta Grossa...

I'm crazy by Attalea dubia, I travel by all its habitat during the time that I stay in Plantarum. I help Lorenzi to do all the maps to the book (Brazilian flora-palms); and I did Attalea, Trithrinax and Desmoncus keys.

This map is the Attalea dubia habitat. The higher place stay in Rio de Janeiro.

However I saw a huge Attalea dubia cultivated in Ponta Grossa - Parana.

Hi Kelen,

Years ago ,I posted photos from 2 of the 3 A.dubias that I know in Ponta Grossa (that is located 19 kilometers from my place) I have 2 plants from both of the trees. Were you saw it? One is growing near a house on the way from Ponta Grossa - Foz do Iguaçú,and the other two in the city near the Centro. I sent some to Toto in Croatia (who germinated 3 out of 10 seeds if I remember well),to Canelgat in Spain . I cleaned a bunch of seeds (a hell of work :rage::blink:) offered the seeds here but at the time there wasn´t much interest in swapping,and most of the seeds lost there viability, until I finally put them all below a tree,but no one germinated after that. I think Attaleas must be FRESH!

On ´´Kelen´s map´´:Ponta Grossa is located +-100 km West from Curitiba near the first big river (Tibagi river)

Alberto, is that: "One is growing near a house on the way from Ponta Grossa - Foz do Iguaçú". A tall Attalea, healthfull!

I still didn't have any problem with Attalea in cold, they grow very very well in yard (in the city), no damaged... This year I planted my first seedling in the field and It grew absolutely fast! 3 complete leaves (1 meter) and other new leaf in 9 month!!! However in the field, frost is more intense.

So Alberto, Do you think that Attalea from Ponta Grossa take frost? I don't know how cold is Ponta Grossa...

There are two in Fallbrook (inland San Diego Co., CA) that were undamaged by about 26F. They are in full exposure, on slopes. I'd love to know how much colder they can tolerate.

Very cold, I would like plant some in full exposure

There are two in Fallbrook (inland San Diego Co., CA) that were undamaged by about 26F. They are in full exposure, on slopes. I'd love to know how much colder they can tolerate.

Thats about the info I have been able to find. I'm wondering if they will be able to tolerate down to 20 with minimal damage (which is our lows on some of the colder years). Or maybe simply be as cold tolerant as the queen palm.

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

One of my A.dubia, n a shady place now in the winter

post-465-12779297567983_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

From above...

post-465-1277929848748_thumb.jpg

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

All the 3 Atalleas are very big healthfull palms.

Kelen,yor Atallea grows very fast I hear! Faster then mine I think....

Ponta Grossa is located at 850m altitude and is warmer than Carambeí (1100-1200m) but the palms there certainly see freezes but I don´t know how many degrees...

All the 3 Atalleas are very big healthfull palms.

Kelen,yor Atallea grows very fast I hear! Faster then mine I think....

Ponta Grossa is located at 850m altitude and is warmer than Carambeí (1100-1200m) but the palms there certainly see freezes but I don´t know how many degrees...

Cute Attalea seedling, Alberto! How old is it?

This spring I'll plant other Attaleas in field, I would like plant some in very isolate but it's too risky!!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Very nice Kelen. I think they like a lot of water as my Attalea dubia grows faster in winter. I tucked it in a bunch of palm grass thinking it would have very poor chances of survival (that was prior to all the information shared here). Just wish I had bought another few when they were available!

cheers

Richard

My second Attalea dubia goes for the field

Que beleza esse indaiá, Kelen!!!!

I don´t remember exactly how old is mine...maybe 3-4 years now...?

My second Attalea dubia goes for the field

Que beleza esse indaiá, Kelen!!!!

I don´t remember exactly how old is mine...maybe 3-4 years now...?

This seedling is 5 years old

Edited by kelen

• 2 years later...

Very interesting thread, any new updates? What would be the difference between the cold hardiness of A. dubia and A. cahune? Do they burn with frost? Can't believe this species has not been marketed to the vast swath of the U.S. that is zone 8b & 9a or even 9a &9b. Sounds like it tolorates about as much as a queen or maybe a little better.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 9 months later...

I have two planted out.It freezed yesterday and this morning, I forgot to take a look at them. I was too busy to see how my B.alfredii fared through the night (covered with a blanket) and other more tender palms....Tomorrow I´ll photograph them...

Mine is still doing well after 2 winters in ground, though under high canopy. Doesn't grow very fast though...

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

2 first pics: Both A.dubia are unfazed.(not protected)

Some pics of pals that were more or less damaged: P.roebelleni (not protected), caryota gigas (not protected), Dypsis baronii (covered),

sixth pic showing the Livistona chinensis with leaftips burned + young A.dubia

post-465-0-89870200-1375052045_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-55237600-1375052414_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-45265800-1375052560_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-40033800-1375052681_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-78644300-1375052784_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-87366000-1375053008_thumb.jpg

Probably somewhat lower temperatures then -3ºC. Snow is very rare here.....

There are a few growing in the neighbour city of Ponta Grossa were you also see some king palms growing (heat island effect)

The difference is that king palms burn the leaves with every freeze and A. dubia not. I really don´t know the lowest temperature a mature palm woul survive.

I know it´s a palm that in the highest altitude habitats see frost.

• 4 weeks later...

I find that these guys need a lot of water. They get 10 minutes of irrigation 4 times a week. But unless I additionally let the hose flood it for 10 minutes or so a week, it will just sit there.Here's two recent shots of my Attalea dubia:

20130824_140657_zps0cc1eebe.jpg

20130824_140735_zps26cdf961.jpg

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

I find that these guys need a lot of water. They get 10 minutes of irrigation 4 times a week. But unless I additionally let the hose flood it for 10 minutes or so a week, it will just sit there.Here's two recent shots of my Attalea dubia:

Could it be not the water they crave, but the cooling effect from the evaporation.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Buffy , very nice Attalea dubia you have there! It´s slow growing but it certainly will speed up after some time

Yes, they speed up, or rather the leaves suddenly decide to get much bigger. The biggest leaf on mine is now about 10 feet and each new leaf is a couple of feet bigger than the last. They do seem to want abundant water.

Buffy,

When did you put this in the ground? I noticed that the past two winters were on the warm side for you. Curious to know if it's been tested with your "normal" winter conditions.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Buffy,

When did you put this in the ground? I noticed that the past two winters were on the warm side for you. Curious to know if it's been tested with your "normal" winter conditions.

Same question. Another palm I did not know I could possible grow.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

From Palmpedia:

"Will handle tropical thru to temperate climates, but it probably isn't frost tolerant. "

http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/Attalea_dubia

From Palmpedia:

"Will handle tropical thru to temperate climates, but it probably isn't frost tolerant. "

Why it wouldn´t be frost tolerant if some populations see frost in habitat?

From Palmpedia:

Why it wouldn´t be frost tolerant if some populations see frost in habitat?

You'll have to ask whomever posted that on Dean's board. I am just posting what I found after doing a little research.

It has not been tested. This guy is under live oak canopy and can be easily protected for the time being. I think this is a good experiment in mass and speed. Growing point will stay underground for awhile. If it can build enough root mass to replace its crown in a growing season, it may last awhile. I think two more growing seasons ought to get it there. Once it starts to trunk, it will require more attention than I'm willing to give.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

It has not been tested. This guy is under live oak canopy and can be easily protected for the time being. I think this is a good experiment in mass and speed. Growing point will stay underground for awhile. If it can build enough root mass to replace its crown in a growing season, it may last awhile. I think two more growing seasons ought to get it there. Once it starts to trunk, it will require more attention than I'm willing to give.

Your winter lows are very similar to mine, even though you're quite a bit north. I assume that you're far east enough where your humidity and rainfall are relatively similar as well. It will be very interesting to see how this plant does for you. I remember Merrill Wilcox was trying to grow some of these awhile back, here in Gainesville, but I believe he was unsuccessful in getting any to sprout.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

It's a weird climate anomaly. There's a spike of 8B that stretches far north of the I-10 corridor. Add a little in town microclimate, and things stay pretty warm in the winter. I suspect that its a few degrees colder in the low areas of my yard. I have about 30 feet of elevation change on my 2 acres.

Attalea is such a beautiful genus I really hope this is a long term plant for you!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

• 3 months later...

Well, I'm finally getting to see some cold results for the Attalea dubia. I have some frost burn after a few nights of heavy frost in the upper 20s. It's a little early to pass judgement. These things are terribly slow. I'll be curious to see how it handles the rest of winter months. Our average temperatures have been pretty cool to start the winter. We're bumping freezing pretty much every night and topping out near 50. I'm gonna go fairly unprotected unless we're predicted to go below 25F.

Actually, I'm looking at my temp. records the past few nights, and it did see 26.2F. And technically, it probably saw 1 or 2 degrees lower than that with the temp gauge 12'-15' higher than the planting location. It was a radiational freeze.

Keep us updated this winter.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

• 5 months later...

This guy is a turd. It went into the winter with pinnate fronds. I protected it with blankets and radiant heat. I forgot one night and the fronds were smoked. Spear pull soon after. Death confirmed yesterday.

But I did discover something interesting I didn't know. Attalea dubia has an underground heel. I wonder how many other palms have heels that simply stay underground.

That's too bad. I have Attalea colenda growing and it seems to be at least as cold hardy as coconuts. In winter though it grows slowly, and when the leaves emerge again in the summer, the point where it stalled growth is a white stripe. It's kind of odd. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)