IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I Miss my Mom

Jeff Searle

Wal came up with an excellent suggestion. So, I would like to say that my mother passed away eleven years ago and I still miss her so much. My parents were married for 47 years and and had got married after only meeting and getting to know each other for 3 months. My dad still gets choked up if she comes into conversations. We all do for that matter. She was a great mom, well loved by many,many friends and volunteered thousands of hours with her church. She worked in the hospital for over 35 years as a register nurse, she had a big heart and loved to help others. To this day, she comes up in our thoughts quite often.

Jeff Searle

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

My mom was taken away from us much too soon. I was only seven when she passed. My whole family made it to the US safely only to loose her two years later to cancer. My poor dad had to raise all seven of us all by himself.

Unfortunately, my memories of her have faded through the years and I have to borrow on those of my older brothers and sister. We still visit her for her birthday and Mother's Day. If you are one of those that try to look for the "good" in everything, I would say that it brought us kids much closer to each other.

I think of her often, especially when I look at my own kids. They might not be able to see their grandmother, but I will make sure that they know who she was.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I can totally understand your feelings Jeff and Joe. My mother passed away 13 years ago. She died from cancer at the ripe ol' age of 54. My buddy just lost his mom last month and we were sitting around in my palm garden talking about the emotions you go through losing a parent and I still feel the same emotions of loss and sadness that I felt almost 13 years ago. My mother was a motivational speaker and from the time when she was diagnosed (stage 4) up to the time of her passing, she practiced everything she ever preached to others about having a positive attitude and always looking for the best in life. I have never seen anyone face death more bravely then her.

-Ron

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

It's tough, especially around Christmas.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It's tough, especially around Christmas.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Yes, Christmas is tough...

Just look at your children and grand children. She might not be there in person, but she is in spirit. She lives on through them, and you. That's what I like to think. I also like to believe that we have a special guardian angel looking over us.

I don't know if you are a big reader or not, but might I recommend you reading, "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. My wife gave it to me, and I really got a lot from it.

Joe

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Randy Paush was incredible. As he says in his opening, "he nailed it". His last lecture is something that everyone should read or hear. It really puts life into perspective.

This is another great speech on the Paush level that was the one delivered by Steve Jobs at Standford's 2005 graduation ceremony.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

"The last lecture" is an amazing book. I just sent it out to a once good friend whom I thought would get a lot from it. I lost my mother at a young age too. She raised 7 of us on her own and amazingly we all came out crazy but amazing individuals with way too high standards. The pain never goes away and I think of her daily. I still catch myself picking up the phone to call her when I am struggling or have something exciting happenings!

Life is too short to not embrace those you love! Value them and give them all that they deserve.

My mother died on March 15, 2002 after suffering overwhelming brain damage after having a post-operative heart attack following knee replacement surgery. She was a few weeks shy of her 71st birthday. After years of pain from arthritis, she was finally free of it, though not in the way any of us bargained for.

Dad has recovered nicely and married again, happily, too.

I think Dad came to terms with the situation better than my younger brother and I did, though we manage well, too. The sharp pain of the loss is replaced by the occasional dull ache of remembrance.

Every year on November 1, I light candles for everyone I know who died. I got that from the Mexican dia del muerte. The cluster of candles grows year by year.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 months later...

Well my mom died on May 12 2006,about a month after my son was born by emergency C section. It was tough for both of us. My partner was in terrible pain from the operation and I was just useless,inconsoleable. She lived nearly 200 miles away and I moved away from the family home 5 years before. When she became ill I was unable to visit her because neither me or my partner could drive,still can't,and money was real tight. Eventually I did get to see her in hospital but she was really ill then. She'd had a stroke and nobody realised how serious it was. After a hospital visit we all went home,her home and spent the night. Then in the early hours we got a call to say we need to be there,but by the time we got there she had gone. Its been nearly 3 years now but this is the first time I've been able to share this and,well I'm getting choked here. Her birthday was 4 November,a day before Guy Falkes night and I always get down every year when it comes around. I should have been there more but it was just so difficult,juggling a part time job and two young kids.

I never did mourn properly,never got the chance and still to this day I can't believe,oh thats enough

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

My dad passed away in November 1991 on his birthday. Both of his parents died on their birthdays too.

My mom died seven months later in June 1992 and then to my shock, my brother hung himself seven weeks after that...in July 1992.

These are things one never forgets and it puts a new pespective on one's own life that forever remains.

I can talk about my mom and dad but I still can't talk about my brother without choking up.

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Ron,

That's very sad to hear about your brother. And I can agree that it will take several years for you to fully understand and except what happened.

It was my mom's birthday yesterday......

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost wish I hadn't clicked on this topic.

Ron, I am sorry for your losses. Some more tough than others. :(

I lost my Mom (or Mum, as I am originally Canadian) back in 2000. She died of pancreatic cancer. About the worst survival rate of any cancer, I believe. She was only 60. I was glad that she was able to meet 2 of my 3 sons.

I try to keep the memory of my Mom alive through my kids. Life is so fast....I mean super fast. Faster than a Pigafetta. You realize that when you have children.

I was never that close to my Dad, though I try to improve on that through MY life with my children. Being involved and being there. It's tough to lose your Mom, but life goes on.....the memories of "back in the day" go on........it's kind of tough to put into words.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter