IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kapoho Palms

DoomsDave

16 members have voted

1. 1. RATE THIS GROWER

• POSITIVE - I have had a positive experience and would recommend this grower. (Comment Optional)
    • NEGATIVE - I have had a negative experience and would not recommend this grower (Comment Required)

Hello, everyone:

I have bought lots of palms from Kapoho. Their prices are reasonable, and their selection is wonderful.

I wish every relationship was as good as the one with them . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

A few years back I also got some great palms from Kapoho, but what's with their website not being up-dated? The palm list is from 2007. Are they still shipping palms?

cagary,

Im curious about this too, I sent an email with no response a few weeks back so its unknown what their status is.

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

I got about 40 palms from Kapoho Palms in Jan of 06 and I was extremely pleased with the whole transaction. Starting with the communication, I exchanged both a long phone call and several emails with Miles, who works there (I assume still there?) about what palms looked the best and what would do well for me here in this zone inside during the winter. Also had to wait a few weeks for the weather to be warm enough, of which Miles couldn't have been more attentative. When the shipment came-the packing was outstanding (including extra insulation for the winter), the palms were all very healthy and the roots were robust. He even sent about 10 extra palms for free! Two years later, I have only lost 3, all due to me. I would easily order from this company again.

After Floribunda, which by far has been my number 1 supplier of palms over the years, Kapoho Palms comes next, and I have always been very happy with my palm purchases from Kapoho. Miles is still there, and is doing a great job. But Doug Eiss, who worked there for many years, and was very knowledgeable, unfortunately died a few months ago.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I can't order from Kapoho anymore (I don't think they do international shipping), but when I lived in Tampa I ordered from them a few times. What I liked the most is that all of their palms arrived in their original pots, no bare-roots! If I remember correctly, all their plants are bench grown and they did not need to remove the soil before shipping. Those palms grew beautifully for me, no transplant shock or bare-root shock.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

The first palms I ordered were from Kapoho and I've continued to order from them over the years. I still have most of the palms from my first order - Bismarckia nobilis, Chamaedorea metallica, Chamaedorea microspadix, Chambeyronia macrocarpa, Caryota urens, Dypsis decipiens. Of course I killed the lipstick and three more since then, just forget to bring it inside one cold night and it's a goner.

• 2 months later...

My experience with Kapoho is that they never returned my e-mails, Availibility and Price lists on web site not up to date. I know many people who had great experiences with them however, I gave up trying to business with them as their actions did not appear that they wanted to do business with me.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ditto, they stopped resonding to me a couple of years ago, but I did get some from them about 4 years ago no problem.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

I think they're defunct now. They were great while they were around.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I ordered from them recently, in April 08. They were good with the emails, nice on the phone and sent great plants! Their 'seedlings' are amazingly big, grown in tall narrow containers, they're too tall for a standard 1 gallon pot. I emailed them a list of palms I was interested in to get things started.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Any more recent correspondence Mark? They may be gone now.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I sure hope not! Their plants are a great value, and receiving plants in pots is nice insurance in case you're busy when they arrive. And pleasant to deal with. I haven't tried to contact them since then, though. (Hopefully, they're just a small operation that's too busy at this time of year. Maybe with my cold climate I ordered after their rush was over. Crossing fingers!)

Any more recent correspondence Mark? They may be gone now.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

• 3 months later...

I have dealt with Kapoho Palms and found their service to be impeccable! Their communication was timely and concise. When my palm(s) arrived they were packaged with the utmost care (one palm had each leaf tied to the truck to avoid damage!) I would recommend Kapoho to any hardcore enthusiast!

William,

Always good to start the day with a laugh... I'm trying to visualize your palms arriving all the way from Hawaii with each leaf tied to the truck! Please post pictures! :lol:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Perfectly OK! Part of the entertainment aspect! :)

• 3 months later...

J. R. Miles is now operating Kapoho Palms under the dba Kipuka Nurseries

808/936-2580

miles.kapoho_palms@yahoo.com

Site visited last month and obtained quiet a number of young palms at very good price. Getting there is a bit of an adventure in itself.

I would not rely on any info presently found on the internet for Kapoho Palms as I understand that it was posted by previous owner/operator of the business.

Have no experience with distance ordering and shipping by either the former or current owner.

Hope this is helpful - gmp

I have bought palms from Kapoho several times. The plants are always great,

and Miles is easy to work with if you can catch him in the office.

rare flowering trees, palms and other exotics

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Placed several orders a few years until they dissapeared a couple years ago.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)