Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kapoho Palms

17 votes

1. 1. RATE THIS GROWER

• POSITIVE - I have had a positive experience and would recommend this grower. (Comment Optional)
    • NEGATIVE - I have had a negative experience and would not recommend this grower (Comment Required)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone:

I have bought lots of palms from Kapoho. Their prices are reasonable, and their selection is wonderful.

I wish every relationship was as good as the one with them . . . .

A few years back I also got some great palms from Kapoho, but what's with their website not being up-dated? The palm list is from 2007. Are they still shipping palms?

cagary,

Im curious about this too, I sent an email with no response a few weeks back so its unknown what their status is.

I got about 40 palms from Kapoho Palms in Jan of 06 and I was extremely pleased with the whole transaction. Starting with the communication, I exchanged both a long phone call and several emails with Miles, who works there (I assume still there?) about what palms looked the best and what would do well for me here in this zone inside during the winter. Also had to wait a few weeks for the weather to be warm enough, of which Miles couldn't have been more attentative. When the shipment came-the packing was outstanding (including extra insulation for the winter), the palms were all very healthy and the roots were robust. He even sent about 10 extra palms for free! Two years later, I have only lost 3, all due to me. I would easily order from this company again.

After Floribunda, which by far has been my number 1 supplier of palms over the years, Kapoho Palms comes next, and I have always been very happy with my palm purchases from Kapoho. Miles is still there, and is doing a great job. But Doug Eiss, who worked there for many years, and was very knowledgeable, unfortunately died a few months ago.

I can't order from Kapoho anymore (I don't think they do international shipping), but when I lived in Tampa I ordered from them a few times. What I liked the most is that all of their palms arrived in their original pots, no bare-roots! If I remember correctly, all their plants are bench grown and they did not need to remove the soil before shipping. Those palms grew beautifully for me, no transplant shock or bare-root shock.

The first palms I ordered were from Kapoho and I've continued to order from them over the years. I still have most of the palms from my first order - Bismarckia nobilis, Chamaedorea metallica, Chamaedorea microspadix, Chambeyronia macrocarpa, Caryota urens, Dypsis decipiens. Of course I killed the lipstick and three more since then, just forget to bring it inside one cold night and it's a goner.

My experience with Kapoho is that they never returned my e-mails, Availibility and Price lists on web site not up to date. I know many people who had great experiences with them however, I gave up trying to business with them as their actions did not appear that they wanted to do business with me.

Ditto, they stopped resonding to me a couple of years ago, but I did get some from them about 4 years ago no problem.

I think they're defunct now. They were great while they were around.

I ordered from them recently, in April 08. They were good with the emails, nice on the phone and sent great plants! Their 'seedlings' are amazingly big, grown in tall narrow containers, they're too tall for a standard 1 gallon pot. I emailed them a list of palms I was interested in to get things started.

Any more recent correspondence Mark? They may be gone now.

I sure hope not! Their plants are a great value, and receiving plants in pots is nice insurance in case you're busy when they arrive. And pleasant to deal with. I haven't tried to contact them since then, though. (Hopefully, they're just a small operation that's too busy at this time of year. Maybe with my cold climate I ordered after their rush was over. Crossing fingers!)

Any more recent correspondence Mark? They may be gone now.

I have dealt with Kapoho Palms and found their service to be impeccable! Their communication was timely and concise. When my palm(s) arrived they were packaged with the utmost care (one palm had each leaf tied to the truck to avoid damage!) I would recommend Kapoho to any hardcore enthusiast!

William,

Always good to start the day with a laugh... I'm trying to visualize your palms arriving all the way from Hawaii with each leaf tied to the truck! Please post pictures! :lol:

Bo-Göran

I gotta learn how to spell... :floor: T-R-U-N-K

Maybe I should stop daydreamin' on Palmtalk while at the office. :D

Perfectly OK! Part of the entertainment aspect! :)

J. R. Miles is now operating Kapoho Palms under the dba Kipuka Nurseries

808/936-2580

miles.kapoho_palms@yahoo.com

Site visited last month and obtained quiet a number of young palms at very good price. Getting there is a bit of an adventure in itself.

I would not rely on any info presently found on the internet for Kapoho Palms as I understand that it was posted by previous owner/operator of the business.

Have no experience with distance ordering and shipping by either the former or current owner.

Hope this is helpful - gmp

I have bought palms from Kapoho several times. The plants are always great,

and Miles is easy to work with if you can catch him in the office.

These guys were great!

Placed several orders a few years until they dissapeared a couple years ago.