IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut Climber - Ebay Vendor

newtothis

34 members have voted

1. 1. RATE THIS GROWER

• POSITIVE - I have had a positive experience and would recommend this grower. (Comment Optional)
    • NEGATIVE - I have had a negative experience and would not recommend this grower (Comment Required)

I have had a lot of good transactions with this seller. I have always been extremely happy with the palms I have purchased and often they send more than you actually buy. Some of their items are a bit expensive but the quality and shipping are always fantastic so I would continue to buy from them.

Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I do a lot of trading and some buying with the Ebay seller known as Coconut Climber. There are many shady operations on Ebay, but you always know what you are going to get, plus some with him. I will continue doing business with him in the future.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I've bought a few palms from Coconut Climber on eBay over the years, and every time has been a positive experience.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

I have bought from Coconut Climber in the past and have been a satisfied customer. Always arrived in great shape! I now, buy almost exclusivley from locals, but I'd definately recommend them for someone without local access or that hard to get palm.

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I have ordered quite a few items from Coconut Climber in the past year and have always been pleased with my palms.

He has a nice variety, quality is good, root system is excellent, good price and packaging. I also usually receive a few extra palms in my order.

• 1 year later...

I've had several outstanding purchases from this vendor and will continue doing business with them! They have a great selection on Ebay and has others that aren't listed. Paul is great to deal with and is never too busy to stop and answer questions about palms!

• 1 month later...

I have to echo what everyone else is saying about this vendor. I've ordered a dozen or so palms from him and they always arrive in great shape and half the time he even throws in a free palm or 2. Always a pleasure doing business with this guy.

• 5 months later...

Bought mainly larger parajubaea to scrafice to the Texas Weather gods. All alive except the largest Sunkha. Would order again.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 5 months later...

Recently ordered bare root dypsis true ambositrae and prestoniana from this vendor. They arrived within 3 days of order, and were in fantastic shape even though they shipped from california to florida. :) This guy really knows how to take care of and ship his stock, lush and green with nice root systems, as recieved. After seeing them, I thought I should have ordered a couple more... If you want something you cant find locally, try this seller out, you will have it in great shape in a few days.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 9 months later...

Does anyone have feedback on this EBAY Vender? They are in So. Cal

Thanks

Top notch palm outfit :)

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

I haven't bought anything from him, but spoke a few times through email about shipping. He definitely has a very nice selection of palms

Thanks Everyone! I've been in contact with this vendor and purchased some P. sargentii. I didn't realize when I started this thread that his store goes under the name CoconutClimber and there is already a thread under this name. He asked me if I would ask to have the threads combined. I'll ask the Mod to do this and let you all know how the plants are when they arrive, but I don't have any worries based on what everyone has had to say!

Mod Edit: DONE

• 10 months later...

Is ebay the only way to order palms from him or does he have a website/nursery/email? Im only a couple of minutes away from santa ana and would rather pick up plants then have them shipped.

Thanks

Shad

• 1 year later...

I have bought dozens of palms from Paul. Some listed on his Ebay site and many that he didn't list but I simply asked him. Also have bought larger sizes than he lists, again just by asking. Always packaged well and is very easy to communicate with.

• 3 months later...

Is ebay the only way to order palms from him or does he have a website/nursery/email? Im only a couple of minutes away from santa ana and would rather pick up plants then have them shipped.

Thanks

Shad

I've asked Paul this question direct as a palm I was buying was a gift for someone who is very close to him and thought she could simply pick it up and he said no, only USPS. I also asked him if he had any retail store out there as I was going to be in the area for a visit and would have been cool to see his nursery, but again was told no because they aren't a retail operation.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know when this store will be back? On ebay it says, "This Store seller is currently away..." Ive bought from them before and have been anxiously awaiting for their store to open. Nothing but good experiences, of course. I still have a Lytocaryum weddellianum that's still alive and well and survived our mild 2015/2016 winter from them.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, smithgn said:

Does anyone know when this store will be back? On ebay it says, "This Store seller is currently away..." Ive bought from them before and have been anxiously awaiting for their store to open. Nothing but good experiences, of course. I still have a Lytocaryum weddellianum that's still alive and well and survived our mild 2015/2016 winter from them.

I'd be interested in knowing too - he is missed on eBay at the minute!

• Upvote 1

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Owner has "been away" for at least several months. Good news, if any, is that eBay still has the store. If they suspend/kick off a vendor, that store "does not exist" anymore.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

He told me several months ago he is still in limbo if he wants to return to Ebay. I never asked the details.

I've had good experience with him. The plants I ordered two years ago are healthy and growing. On the first shipment he missed to include one, and after I sent him the pictures he promptly overnighted the palm. Two palms from that shipment turned out to be completely something else, but I'm not complaining as they are turning out to be pretty nice.

Good to hear from everyone and glad that I'm not the only one lamenting palmswholesale's absence. If he does come back, he will have an influx of orders, I know that lol

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If he doesn't come back to ebay does he plan to go solo or give up mail order altogether? I didn't buy a lot from him but my last purchase, Butia purpurascens, has turned out to be a dandy for me.

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida

I emailed Paul a couple months ago, asking if he was coming back to Ebay, OR, if he was selling privately.  Unfortunately, I never got a response.  I had purchased multiple items from him, and it was always a pleasure.  Come back Paul!

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Bought 2 licualas from him 2 years ago barefoot, excellent condition, bug-free (which is more than I can say about most palms I've bought in Europe), and both living happily with me indoors still but now much bigger.

Hope the store opens up again!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Chambeyronia macrocarpa
  2. Syagrus coronata
  3. Syagrus schyzophilla

All them still alive.

Edited by foxtail
Typo

Rio_Grande.gif

Come back Paul! I've purchased several palm seedlings from Coconut Climber! Arenga engleri, Sabal mauritiiformis, Pseudophoenix sargentii. All excellent experiences, uber healthy plants and extras at times. Hope he sees our posts and how much we miss him and returns to eBay (or an online store)!

• Upvote 2

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎54‎:‎20‎, Missi said:

Come back Paul! I've purchased several palm seedlings from Coconut Climber! Arenga engleri, Sabal mauritiiformis, Pseudophoenix sargentii. All excellent experiences, uber healthy plants and extras at times. Hope he sees our posts and how much we miss him and returns to eBay (or an online store)!

I have his personal email address and he replied in early spring that he thought he would be back in May but didn't.  He hasn't responded to two emails since then :(

Hope he's ok as he has some great stuff.

• Upvote 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎04‎:‎56‎, sashaeffer said:

I have his personal email address and he replied in early spring that he thought he would be back in May but didn't.  He hasn't responded to two emails since then :(

Hope he's ok as he has some great stuff.

If you'd like to share his email address with me, I can also let him know he is missed!

Haven't done business with him, but he sounds great. 

My thinking, however, is that if he wants to/was able to sell again he would and it may not be a good idea to keep emailing him. Just my 2 cents.

22 hours ago, Matt in OC said:

My thinking, however, is that if he wants to/was able to sell again he would and it may not be a good idea to keep emailing him. Just my 2 cents.

It depends on why he stepped away. If his business was dwindling, perhaps it would help to touch base and let him know several people plan on ordering. If he was sick of dealing with people or too busy with other things, I'd agree. Who knows.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2016, 2:58:07, Matt in OC said:

Agree here......

• 4 years later...

eBay Website was active April 21-23, did anyone actually get in touch with seller and get anything? Or was your money taken?

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I dropped about $50 for 2 more L. Weddellanium. If I get them, awesome. If I don't, PayPal will give me back my money. 

Was/is he still using the name Coconut Climber?

The last thing I bought from him was my Butia purpurascens now yatay. Glad I bought it whatever it is now.

Meg

Florida

4 hours ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Was/is he still using the name Coconut Climber?

The last thing I bought from him was my Butia purpurascens now yatay. Glad I bought it whatever it is now.

Same name, yes. There was another now-deleted thread announcing his shop was open again, and there was a pretty large availability. He sold 240+ items and closed it again. There were comments that his account was hacked, and comments that he possibly closed up again due to being overwhelmed with so many orders in such a short time. 

Who knows. I sent a message via eBay asking if the items would ship or if this was a snafu and haven't got a response yet. 

2 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Same name, yes. There was another now-deleted thread announcing his shop was open again, and there was a pretty large availability. He sold 240+ items and closed it again. There were comments that his account was hacked, and comments that he possibly closed up again due to being overwhelmed with so many orders in such a short time. 

Who knows. I sent a message via eBay asking if the items would ship or if this was a snafu and haven't got a response yet. 

Interesting. He was never someone who communicated well. I'd like to see him come back again as he had some interesting stuff. My biggest headache with him was he always used some dopey/cutesy/worthless nickname for palms instead of their Latin binomials. You had to read the fine print in each listing and hope he IDed it there. I expect someone who claims he knows palms to use proper nomenclature. 

• Upvote 1

Meg

Florida