Sign in to follow this  
John in Andalucia

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - Clark Riedel

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - Clark Riedel  

18 members have voted

1. 1. RATE THIS GROWER

• POSITIVE - I have had a positive experience and would recommend this grower. (Comment Optional)
    • NEGATIVE - I have had a negative experience and would not recommend this grower (Comment Required)

John in Andalucia

Specializing in sun grown palms and exoticas from around the world. Located in North San Diego County, Southern California.

cagary

Clark's palms both large and small have done well in my yard. His plants are truly sun grown and there isn't any frond shrinkage like you get from shade house grown palms. I don't care what size pot they are in, all his seedlings are doing well in my greenhouse.

BS Man about Palms

The large Clinostigma and healthy Hedyscepe I bought from Clark are doing great.

joe_OC

I have had a very negative experience purchasing palms from Clark because I believe he purposely misled me so I would buy one of his palms. I do not believe that it was a case of mistaken identification...

I bought a palm from Clark that I thought was a Dypsis "Mealy Bug". When I was hesitant with my decision to purchase, Clark reinforced the identification by stating that another well known member from this board (I do not want to use their name) thought it was a "Mealy Bug" as well. Because of his comment, I decided to purchase the palm. I showed off my purchase to another member of the board the same day, who lived nearby Clark. Anyway, he wasn't sure that it was the "Mealy Bug" palm. I said that I would post pics on this site to see what others thought. He said that was a good idea.

So I posted pics of the palm to show off my latest purchase and get validation on the ID of the palm. I quickly realized that it was not a "Mealy Bug", but was identified as a Kentiopsis Oliviformis (K.O.) by several members who saw the palm in person. I also had come to find out from my topic that members from this forum visited Clark and saw the very same palm I bought and discussed/identified it as a Kentiopsis Oliviformis. The person (that Clark said) who identified that the palm as a "Mealy Bug" was in that group. That person later responded to my topic and said that he never stated that the palm was a "Mealy Bug".

I know that palms can be mis-labeled. But, that wasn't the case here. Clark used the credibility of another member and fabricated the facts to influence my decision. Once I realized what had happened, I decided that I would keep that palm, but would no longer have anything to do with Clark.

The other thing that gets me is the size of the palm...Clark has stated that my palm is over eight years old and grown in the sun to justify why the palm is the size that it is. Just because it's in a 15 gal pot does not mean that it is a 15 gal sized palm...My one gallon K.O. is almost the same size...I just bought another K.O. that is three years old. The palm was grown outdoors in CA and is almost the same size as my 15 gal K.O. from Clark...

Clark may have an amazing tropical palm garden, but BUYER BEWARE!! I believe that he will tell you whatever you want to hear to make the sale...

Urban Rainforest

I recently purchased some palms from Clark and all are doing well. He grows his seedlings in a greenhouse but a good percentage of his stuff is grown outside and already aclimated. He also grows organically so his plants have very strong root systems and are more stress resistant. Nice guy and great garden. I would purchase palms from Clark again.

Stevo

surferjr
I have had a very negative experience purchasing palms from Clark because I believe he purposely misled me so I would buy one of his palms. I do not believe that it was a case of mistaken identification...

I bought a palm from Clark that I thought was a Dypsis "Mealy Bug". When I was hesitant with my decision to purchase, Clark reinforced the identification by stating that another well known member from this board (I do not want to use their name) thought it was a "Mealy Bug" as well. Because of his comment, I decided to purchase the palm. I showed off my purchase to another member of the board the same day, who lived nearby Clark. Anyway, he wasn't sure that it was the "Mealy Bug" palm. I said that I would post pics on this site to see what others thought. He said that was a good idea.

So I posted pics of the palm to show off my latest purchase and get validation on the ID of the palm. I quickly realized that it was not a "Mealy Bug", but was identified as a Kentiopsis Oliviformis (K.O.) by several members who saw the palm in person. I also had come to find out from my topic that members from this forum visited Clark and saw the very same palm I bought and discussed/identified it as a Kentiopsis Oliviformis. The person (that Clark said) who identified that the palm as a "Mealy Bug" was in that group. That person later responded to my topic and said that he never stated that the palm was a "Mealy Bug".

I know that palms can be mis-labeled. But, that wasn't the case here. Clark used the credibility of another member and fabricated the facts to influence my decision. Once I realized what had happened, I decided that I would keep that palm, but would no longer have anything to do with Clark.

The other thing that gets me is the size of the palm...Clark has stated that my palm is over eight years old and grown in the sun to justify why the palm is the size that it is. Just because it's in a 15 gal pot does not mean that it is a 15 gal sized palm...My one gallon K.O. is almost the same size...I just bought another K.O. that is three years old. The palm was grown outdoors in CA and is almost the same size as my 15 gal K.O. from Clark...

Clark may have an amazing tropical palm garden, but BUYER BEWARE!! I believe that he will tell you whatever you want to hear to make the sale...

Joe,

WHY DID YOU BUY IT? IT WAS IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE, IF IT WAS TOO SMALL THAN WHY DID YOU BUY IT?

I didn't twist your arm, you couldn't wait to brag about what you stole from me.

You called it a Mealy Bug not I. I was unsure but had purchased it as a Mealy bug many years back in a seedling from a leading grower who will remain anonymous!

You still haven't gotten over it?? :blink:AFTER 3 VISITS AND ONE PURCHASE OF $100 DOLLARS

Your sadden that the $500 dollar Mealy Bug, you thought you stole from me that turned out to be a $250 dollar Kentiopsis :huh: . But you still only paid $100 dollars and you got over 4 hours of education time! As I said and said again why not return the palm or call and ask anything?? No, you’d rather complain on this site :violin: .

By the way, I sold the other Kentiopsis I had next to yours for $180.00, and the buyer was stoked. So you'll be able to profit as lest $80 dollar on you acquisition.

Keep to the Home Depot selection, I hear they are selling 15 gallon Dypsis Bejofa, and they’ll even let you return it when you’ve killed it!

Your a class act Pal.

For thous of you that are not already aware of JOE from OC

BEWARE THIS GUY IS THE BIGGEST COMPLAINER OF ALL TIMES and needs tons of attention!

CASH ONLY!! And limit his time!

As this guy is just an opportunist and looking to take advantage of the seller! WHO'S THE THIEF?

Thanks Joe for letting me set the story straight!!

Sincere regards,

Clark

JakeK

I have had two experiences ordering from Clark. One was a great experience and the other not so much. I did not vote because the instructions are to only place one vote per grower and I had two different experiences.

My first palm purchase with Clark went off without a hitch. He sent big healthy palms. I was a happy camper. The palms I ordered were very common palms except for the forest coconut.

My second palm purchase with Clark was not good at all. I paid for 3 one gallon palms and 1 two gallon palm and was sent tiny seedlings and one 4" palm. The Dypsis marojejyi I purchased was in my opinion, too small to ship. It only had two tiny leaves and was at most only two inches tall. It started showing signs of stress the day after it arrived in the mail and it was dead 5 days later. The only replacement I was offered was of a totally different palm of my choice, despite Clark having several mad foxes left per his email. I declined that offer. No refund of the $75 I paid for the mad fox was offered. The other 3 seedlings are still alive. The Dypsis sp. 'cote d'est' and the Dypsis sp. 'white' are doing well and the tiny 2 gallon (4" seedling) Dypsis sp. 'dark mealybug' is barely hanging on.

None of the palms I purchased were the sizes I was paying for (sizes explicitly stated on the message board post) and I feel a bit deceived by the false advertisement of the sizes.

If you can inspect the stock before buying, then buying from Clark could be a good experience, but if you are relying on just the information posted in the for-sale ad or in his emails, then I would be very hesitant to purchase.

paulgila

clarks reaction to joes comment says it all.

falcon1988

I purchased few palms from clark some time ago in the early spring and they are in great shape i have no complaints about his plants :D

Regards

Urban Rainforest

Bro, Just wanted to thank you again for the killer deal today on the bombdiggity plants :drool::drool: . I'm doing some relandscaping at the resort and I wanted some Palms and Cycads that you don't typically find at Home Depot or other places we have accounts so I decided to open an account at Evolution palm nursery and am I glad I did! Clark stoked me out with these :drool:

1-5 gal. Dypsis Decipiens

2-5 gal. Dypsis Onilahensis

1-5 gal. Dypsis Saintlucei

1- liner Dypsis Robusta

1-5 gal. Hedyscepe

2-5 gal. Cycas Thouarsii

1-5 gal. Lepidozamia Peroffskyana

and one HUGE Ceratozamia Mexicana!

If you want plants that are allready acclimated and grown outside (which for me at the resort was a must) then check out evolution nursery. Clark is also holding more Hedyscepes from boxed to liners than ANYBODY this side of Lord Howe Island!

Thanks again bro,

Stevo

mppalms

If my memory serves me (should have provided feedback right away!), I picked up a Ceratozamia robusta and a Cycas multipinnata. Both were in great shape and are doing very well! Excellent tips provided on keeping them healthy through winter, too.

Jason

Moose

Still waiting for my Dypsis sp. 'Black Stem' :violin:

Moose
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2009‎ ‎5‎:‎56‎:‎39‎, Tag said:

My experience: :(

Are my KP's still in the mail?   :bemused: