IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycads-n-Palms.com - George Sparkman

John in Andalucia

Cycads-n-Palms.com - George Sparkman  

57 members have voted

1. 1. RATE THIS GROWER

• POSITIVE - I have had a positive experience and would recommend this grower. (Comment Optional)
    • NEGATIVE - I have had a negative experience and would not recommend this grower (Comment Required)

Palms, cycads and other plants including Agave, Aloe, Protea, Yucca & more. Located in Fallbrook, California.

I finally was able to visit George, super knowledgeable and while not as much time as I would have liked to stay, George did give me an inordinate amount of his time. Lots of gems up there!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Last year I bought 3 palms from George, an Alloschmidia, a Burretiokentia hapala and an Actinokentia. I was surprised by how big they were for mail order palms. I would definitely recommend Cycads-n-palms for mail orders.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Acting on Phil's invitation I have listed a few facts about

our nursery.The points I have listed pertain to having what

is needed to legally operate a nursery in California and move

plants from A to B (interstate & within the state).

Regular Ag-Dept inspections are a pain in the butt,but they

insure a certain level of maintenance & cleanliness in the nursery

which benefits the customer.

Length In Business: 15 years,Fallbrook,CA

California Nursery License

State Resale Liscense

Federal Nursery Stock Importers License

CITES import license

Pesticide Applicator's License

Regular Agriculture Inspection Program by County/State

Agricutlural Product Inspection Program for Interstate Shipments

Pesticide Application Monthly Reports

Fictious Name Permit

Water Runnoff Inspections

Water Backflow Prevention

Employement Education Courses/Programs Required by Law

On the S.O.D.(Sudden Oak Death) list

(You need to be on the list for interstate shipping)

I am keeping it short because Phil's list made me dizzy -

I am just a guy on a hill.

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

George,

Good for you for posting these things. It helps educate people as to what we have to go through to be a nursery.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

I have bought from George twice and have been happy both times. Tons of info and some of the nicest cycads around. Also chatted with him on the phone once and got some advice on an ailing cycad that I had posted on Palmtalk.

Matt

• Upvote 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

On December 31, 1999, I partied like it was, well, 1999.

On January 1, 2000 (amid the fading throbs of a hangover headache . . . ), I started the new millenium off right, and roared on down to visit the Sparkman's place in Fallbrook, and got a lot of plants, including a whole bunch of Dypsis decaryi in gallons, which I promptly potted into 15-ers.

About a year and nine months later, I sold off most of the D. decaryi, but I still have most of the many cycads I also got from the Sparkmans, and many are either planted in the ground, or waiting for that perfect spot to suggest itself.

I need to get down there again.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have purchased from Cycads and Palms before and was very pleased with the plants.

They were all good size plants,outdoor grown and ready to go into the ground.

I will be back for more.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

I went to George's today and a had a great visit, received some good recommendations and left with three very well grown and priced palms.

George was very generous with his time and knowledge. It was a 300 mile round trip and worth every mile.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

• 2 months later...

Well grown plants arrived in great shape and were quite large for pot size listed. This was the first of what I am sure will be many orders in the future.

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

• 3 weeks later...

George sells some nice looking plants. Was very pleased with my booty from him.

C from NC

:)

Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

Siler City, NC

Well grown plants, exactly as advertised, reasonable prices, Thanks, George!

San Francisco, California

• 1 month later...

Finally had the chance to stop by this past weekend and was very happy with the selection and my purchases (Hyophorbe Indica and Cham. Hookeri). I will be back again soon!

• 1 month later...

I have been ordering from Cycads'n'Palms for about five years and have always been pleased with the plants I recieved.I just got my latest order and I am again happy with the plants.

Too bad they can't send their 15 gallon size palms (but 15 gallon cycads can be shipped).

Bob

Bob Greiner

• 3 weeks later...

George is truly a first class gentleman in every way who generously shares knowledge and is more than willing to help his fellow peers. My experiences with him have been nothing short of extraordinary and would recommend George to anyone.

My Santa Clarita Oasis

"delectare et movere"

I visited George last week. He was a gracious host, spending lots of time with me on my first visit. I saw some massive caudex amazing specimen Encephalartos at his place. On my list when I'm in final landscape phase... I picked up some rare Australian Cycas Couttsiana from him...

Thanks George ! :D

Dave

• 6 months later...

I just want to express my gratitude to George Sparkman for providing such a great product and excellent service. Every order I've ever made has been excellent or better. The plants are healthy, nice sized and the prices are more than fair. Also, the communication is excellent. I can't wait to order again!

Justin Ingram

Pinole, California

Sunset Zone 17; USDA z9B

• 4 weeks later...

I can't say enough good things about George and his plants. His plants are consistently well grown and obviously well taken care of. They provide excellent value for the money spent, which is something that cannot always be said for others. The communication from George always goes above and beyond what is expected. He is a true gentleman. I strongly urge all of you out there to support him and his business. Thanks for everything George!

Mike

San Diego, CA

~5 miles from the ocean

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got my 1st order from George yesterday. Beautiful palms, expert packaging and he ships to FL. I'm sure I'll be a repeat customer.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I only have good things to say about George. He's always willing to give advice and help others to grow better plants. Extremely knowledgable and just an all around nice guy. Great sense of humor. Ellis Redland Nursery

• 1 month later...

George has great palm and I have done business with him many time over the years and will continue to do so, Just wish he was closer to the ocean. Thanks George!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wondering if he is still in business or maybe on an extended vacation. I have emailed and called the contacts on the website multiple times and have received no reply.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I am sorry for being slow (to very slow) in responding to emails & phone messages.

I have been more then busy for the last 3-4 months and have been out of town way too much.

I will do my best to improve my response time.

It was nice that some PalmTalk members contacted me privately to let me know about the postings in the "Palm Grower Ratings".

Thank You very much for that.

I can't remember ever missing a monthly up-date to my website but it happened in July.

The August listings have been uploaded.

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

• 2 weeks later...

George got back to me, I placed an order and received the plants this week. They look great. I will order from George again. Great value!

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 2 months later...

George has a great collection of Palms and Cycads that are of high quality , Thanks for all the information and the two Foxy ladies George.

• 1 month later...

I also am very pleased with the plants I have recieved from Cycads-n-Palms.

My second order arrived recently and I will get more in April.

Great plants,

Tommy

• 2 weeks later...

George would have received more orders from me had he ever got back to me on several occasions. I just took my business elsewhere. The liner list/ smaller palms are no longer on the list as well.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 1 month later...

This week I received my first order from Cycads and Palms. A few palms and a few cycads.

All were in great shape and grown outdoors which was important to me because I want to get them into the garden without delays and/or setbacks.

Based on what I received I would highly recommend George for stuff you can't pick up locally.

Michael

After looking around in the garden I just realized I had purchased from Cycads and Palms before about two years ago.

Age will do that.

Michael

• 1 month later...

I was at Cycads-n-Palms in Fallbrook yesterday and picked up some plants.

What a great place, George was very helpful and gave me a lot of information.

This time it was for palms but I for sure will be back for some cycads as well.

Michel

I've ordered from George on several occasions and he has always been very helpful ! The cycads I recently received from him are second to none. I look forward to more purchases from George, he has some really well grown plants. I highly recommend him.

Paul Gallop

Likewise several orders over the last few years - all arrived in excellent condition. Prices very reasonable. Highly recommended.

• 1 year later...

I just received my latest order from George and am very happy with the plants (size & condition).

It was nice to finally meet him in person at Montgomery Botanical Center after quite a few years of placing orders.

Bob

Bob Greiner

• 4 months later...

My first order from Cycad and Palm arrived yesterday and the plants are great. I will order again for sure.

Thank you George,

Raymond

• 4 weeks later...

George,

I wish i had more time to visit. What an amazing place he had and im sure if I had the time I would have probably bought more. Thanks for the whitelockii. Hope to head out there when time permits.

Thanks again,

Mike

• 4 months later...

I got my order today and I am very happy with the plants.

It was also a nice surprise to find two 72 hour heat packs inside to keep the order nice and warm in transit or at least will not let things get too cold since the packs were still warm when I unpacked the order. Thanks.

Vicky

• 3 weeks later...

Same here Vicky. I also had a few of these heat packs inside my box. Since we have been having a nice winter I guess it is more about the travel route these boxes have to take. In any case it can't hurt.

Bob

Bob Greiner

• 1 month later...