IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floribunda Palms & Exotics - Jeff Marcus

John in Andalucia

Floribunda Palms & Exotics - Jeff Marcus  

94 members have voted

1. 1. RATE THIS GROWER

• POSITIVE - I have had a positive experience and would recommend this grower. (Comment Optional)
    • NEGATIVE - I have had a negative experience and would not recommend this grower (Comment Required)

A treasure trove of exotic palms. Jeff is very conscientious, and happy to pick up the phone wherever you live!

Floribunda Palms has been my number one supplier of palms since I moved to the Big Island in 1995, and for the first several years here I visited Jeff Marcus and his nursery almost on a monthly basis. The majority of all my palms, and that certainly includes all unusual palms and especially Dypsis palms, came from Floribunda. Over the years Jeff has done more than anyone I know to introduce unusual palms into cultivation. Without his enthusiasm, knowledge and contacts, the world of palms in cultivation would not be as rich as it is today. :)

• Upvote 1

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Floribunda Palms has been my number one supplier of palms since I moved to the Big Island in 1995, and for the first several years here I visited Jeff Marcus and his nursery almost on a monthly basis. The majority of all my palms, and that certainly includes all unusual palms and especially Dypsis palms, came from Floribunda. Over the years Jeff has done more than anyone I know to introduce unusual palms into cultivation. Without his enthusiasm, knowledge and contacts, the world of palms in cultivation would not be as rich as it is today. :)

Well said Bo..... I concur we owe him a great deal, so if you have nothing nice to say go away! :angry:

Sincere regards,

clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Jeff is Jeff! I think both of our blood pressure go up when we talk. Guys that have spent time in the bush have a common bond. I was really happy for him & Suchin that they got to go to Madagascar. Jeff has also offered me the best of what he grows.

I have been buying palms from Jeff for about 12 years and have had nothing but good experiences with our transactions. He always keeps me informed if he does'nt have enough of a certain palm to complete an order he will let me know so I can make a second choice and he ALWAYS lets me know exactly what day they are to arrive. Also the sizes are great as most of his 4" palms are 1 gal. size, 1's are 5's etc. Jeffs prices can't be beat! One of the true palm pioneers. Thanks Jeff!

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

I agree w/all the above.

So much that I doubt if I'll ever buy a seed again. Now I will swap, but why buy seeds when Jeff can sell me a 1 gallon palm about 12-20 inches tall for an average of $11 including shipping and handleing.

What's better is that living here in the islands I don't get them bare rooted. I get a good firm root ball.

Wai`anae Steve

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

Floribunda rocks, pure and simple.

The combination of prices and selection can't be beat.

The vast majority of the palms in my garden came from Floribunda, most as bare-root seedlings.

Keep on truckin' Jeff . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Jeff Marcus has done more than anyone else in the world for getting all types of palm species into the hands of thousands of people. His desire and passion to grow the very finest is unsurpassed. I consider him not only a business associate, but a good personal friend. And YES, he is a completely different guy in person, than when he speaks on the telephone !! :)

Jeff

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have never met Jeff in person, but I could imagine if we were to sit down, a 24 hour conversation would ensue. :lol: His prices can't be beat for the size, the only part that is at times tricky is the acclimation of some species to the Florida climate (something I have to deal with). He truly cares about preserving exotic palm species.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

I have bought palms from floribunda a couple of times and I im very satisfied with his palms and excelent service!

Thanks Jeff!

Christian

I can't add much, except to say that the time he freely gives on the phone is more than gracious. My neighbor & I always joke about how long our conversations are with Jeff, and wonder "how does he ever get anything done?" Our current theory is that there are really three Jeff Markuses....

:winkie:

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

As i see he has great palms at great prices but i would suggest to change one thing.

US$100 minimum purchase for US.

US$300 for international orders

That's a lot of seedlings for $300

Edited by Pivi

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Jeff and Floribunda are outstanding. :)

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

• 2 months later...

Outstanding value, great selection, and of course great expertise! Even though he's busy, he spent a lot of time on the phone and gave lots of helpful advice, which I really appreciated. (Almost reminded me of adopting a dog, where they make sure you know how to provide a good environment for your new baby. :lol: ) Although I prefer receiving potted plants in general, there is no way to complain about the meticulous plant preparation for shipping and the packing--excellent.

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

• 1 month later...

These guys are the real deal. I got some carpoxalon and dipsis orange crush both varieties in bare root and every single one of them survived.

Bayside Tree Farms is located in Homestead Florida USA
(305) 245-9544

I use to piggy-back on others. Last month I ordered from Jeff direct. All his plants are well grown and what you would expect considering his reputation. He called a few times to keep me up-to-date on when they would arrive too. Highly recommended.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

After buying Jeffs palms "downstream" for years from others and an occasional piggyback order, I finally made the call to Jeff directly. He didn't seem to mind much when he had some time to walk around and look for some "weird stuff" for me. The whole interaction and purchase was a pleasure, Thanks Jeff!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 months later...

I just received a large shipment from Jeff.....nothing but outstanding!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I made my first order with Jeff recently and his material is fantastic! Service and communication are outstanding. Jeff is knowledgable and his wife packaged my selection with care. The palms all arrived on time in great shape. I would have no problems referring anyone to Floribunda Palms & Exotics.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to emphasise the great job that Jeff and Suchin do. In the case of a recent telephone call, Jeff could be heard asking Suchin in the background, "Can we do it?". For those that do not know, Jeff's wife is a wizard packer. I never did hear Suchin reply, but the results speak for themselves. Thank you both, for your passion for palms. They are being enjoyed in Spain, Portugal, France, UK, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Greece and Hungary. I never fail to be amazed!

floribunda_palms.jpg

I just made my first purchase from Jeff and Suchin and can say that it was a great experience from start to finish. Jeff spent a good amount of time with me on the phone being very helpful indeed and Suchin apparently was responsible for a miraculous and compact packing job, everything was super-sized, happy, healthy...what more can one say?

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

One can say Were all thankful fot the time & care they spend collecting...cultivating....and making the best available to us all.

We should all have this passion

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

• 1 month later...

Jeff has an amazing array of palms and prices that are almost too good! I've had very good luck with his plants after shipping. His packing job is very thorough.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

• 2 months later...

Made the first of what I hope to be an annual buy of Floribunda's palms. Can't beat the service, professionalism, prices, and variety. In 10 years, my caribbean paradise might just look like paradise when jeff get's done with me.

• 4 months later...

I placed my first order with Floribunda a few weeks ago and had an excellent experience. I had several great conversations with Jeff over the phone, he answered many questions and kept me informed regarding availability and order shipping. The selection and prices at Floribunda are outstanding, and the shipping was handled with the utmost care (and went door to door in two days). The palms I ordered are all healthy and robust, Jeff even included an extra palm for each of the three that came bare-rooted. I now have several rare palms in my collection that I had been searching for, for quite a while. Thanks Jeff.

-Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I received my first order from Jeff a couple weeks ago. Man was I impressed with the quality and care taken in packing. And the plant material is top notch ! :D You can order from them with total confidence ! And the customer service was thorough too...

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I received my first order from Jeff a couple weeks ago. Man was I impressed with the quality and care taken in packing. And the plant material is top notch ! :D You can order from them with total confidence ! And the customer service was thorough too...

Dave

I want to give an update on my ordering experience...

I ordered 16 different species, and 1 of them I had some question about the health and survivability within a couple days of unpacking and potting. So I sent Jeff an e-mail with pics. He called me to discuss, gave me some input on his observations, recommended a couple actions I should take, and we agreed to watch them for a few days. We touched base days later, discussed and together decided they were not going in the right direction. So with out my asking he was all over potting some more up on his end, watching them for a couple weeks, and then sending them out for replacement.

NOW THATS customer service ! :)

Thanks Jeff :greenthumb:

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful plants, wonderful packing, wonderful service, wonderful prices! What more could I want??? Great photo galleries, too. Thanks to Jeff and Suchin!

Cindy Adair

• 2 months later...

Palms are very good condition and only took two days to get here, love talking to him and love his sense of humor. Best rare tropical palms around.

Edited by Palm crazy

• 3 weeks later...

Getting ready to order again soon . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave

And, my part of the order came in wonderfully, too, and some have already gone into the ground . . . .

• 4 months later...

I always have good experiences, too bad I cant grow 95% of those plants in my zone. Received a nice order a couple weeks ago.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to placing my first order with Floribunda and it went perfectly. The prices can't be beat, the palms are all healthy, and the packaging was incredible. Like everyone else has said Jeff spent a lot of time with me on the phone and kept me up to date on when my order was shipping and would be arriving. Everything is now potted up and in my new greenhouse. Hopefully I'll be able to order from him again soon.

• 4 months later...

I'll join the hordes - FANTASTIC!!!! First time order - Cannot say ONE negative word about this whole operation - thank you!!!

OH, yeah, I've bought well into the five figures from Floribunda over the years.

Still do, just got an order in a couple of weeks ago.

• 1 month later...

As mentioned before, two notices of me:

Jeff is Jeff. Yes. :D

Floribunda Palms rockz. Yes. More than this. B)

Jeff has made something no other nursery was able to handle. An unknown number of e-mails later I would like to say: he is a very special friend. He is like he is, but always a friend of palms. When you accept this you have a found a friend for the rest of your life. Jeff, you are simply the best. Thanks for everything.

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Okay.

I've gotten a lot of plants in from Jeff over the past year, and many have been auctioned off at PSSC meetings.

Or, traded, for well, you know . . . . with other members . . . .

So, perusing his SUMMER 2011 LIST with sweaty palms, and an itchy pen finger . . . .

More palms coming.

To me!

La La La La La, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add AND reemphasize whats been said above... Jeff is starting to leave the palms in pots more and based on what I suspect is a higher survivabilty for the touchy stuff, I think the small increase in shipping is well worth it!!

Heres the superior shipping from Suchin...

post-27-025538800 1313123998_thumb.jpg

And some of what was inside... :)

post-27-026487700 1313124049_thumb.jpg

Can't believe this thread has had no pictures! :D

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!