IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Plantings

tim_brissy_13

I recently took a pond out of the garden because the stagnant water was attracting mosquitos, leaving a large area for a few new palms to go in the ground. I decided to plant a Dypsis carlsmithii, a Dypsis 'canaliculata' (not sure what it is, but related to big curly, prestoniana, OCWS group) and a Hyophorbe indica in the area. All would probably be considered marginal in Melbourne's climate, but went through one of the harsher winter in recent years fairly well.

Here is the Dypsis carlsmithii, formerly known as D. 'Stumpy 2'.

0011.jpg

And here is the base of the same palm, with a rather large heel.

0012.jpg

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Here is the D. 'canaliculata'. It has thick fronds, and I hope it will cope with the wind which can at times be quite strong.

0013.jpg

Here is the base of the D. 'canaliculata'. It has a heel, but is much smaller than the carlsmithii. The leaf bases are much thicker than the carlsmithii.

0014.jpg

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

And here is the Hyophorbe indica. It only had the 1 frond when I recieved it early this year, and actually pushed a new spear through winter which was pleasantly surprising. The palm was in a tiny pot considering it looks like it is about to trunk, which means: 1). I got a good deal when I purchased it, and 2). It should really take off now it is in the ground.

0015.jpg

Here is the stem and base.

0016.jpg

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

Here is a group shot. The area receives full morning sun and filtered afternoon sun. All 3 palms are around 1.2m (4 feet) tall and are planted over 1m (3') away from each other. The 2 Dypsis are about 1.5m (5') apart.

0017.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

Great work Tim - they all look excellent - hope they do really well down here ! :)

-Michael

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Great work. Keep posting updates. I'd really like to know how these ones go for you.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Good luck with the planting!!! As soon as this heat is gone and replaced by cloud cover (TOUCH WOOD), I would be doing my own planting. At the moment, it is just TOO hot.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Nice triple, carlsmithi is one of the best palms going imo.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You should just be able to squeeze between the carlsmithii and caniculata when mature. Cool!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nice triple, carlsmithi is one of the best palms going imo.

Here I am with Jeff Searles carlsmithii earlier this year.

post-27-1227711889_thumb.jpg

post-27-1227711913_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'd be very pleased if my carlsmithii one day looked like Jeff's. I figured if the carlsmithii and 'canaliculata' do eventually grow so big they nearly touch, then that is a problem I'd like to have.

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

I'd be very pleased if my carlsmithii one day looked like Jeff's. I figured if the carlsmithii and 'canaliculata' do eventually grow so big they nearly touch, then that is a problem I'd like to have.

Amen!

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Missed this follow up - All no longer with us unfortunately mate. The Hyophorbe indica got fried on black Saturday, the D carlsmithii I finally transplanted last year after 8 years of minimal growth and got shocked and has just died. The D canaliculata was the winner out of the bunch but after a few years pulled itself underground and suddenly rotted, a real shame I'd love to try another or a prestoniana one day when I have space.

Tim Brisbane

Rarely Frost

:(