IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wanted, few Palms I've been searching for

street124

Metroxylon Amicarum

Physokentia Denisii

Bentitickia Condapana

Ravenea Albicans

Clinostigma Haarestigma

Moratia Cerifera

Salacca Magnifica

JC

Don't feel bad, I only have two of these in my own collection. Some of these have never been offered before.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff and Jeff-

Christie Jones and Carl Lewis picked up a handful of M. amicarum from Hawaii. Maybe you can schmooze them into parting with a few.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Jeff and Jeff-

Christie Jones and Carl Lewis picked up a handful of M. amicarum from Hawaii. Maybe you can schmooze them into parting with a few.

Christian,

I'm way ahead of you ole buddy. I recently talked to Christie after getting back from her trip to Palau. She informed me that she only brought back about 10 seeds, so there's a slight chance she will pass one on to me. She did say there would be a chance, she just wants to wait and see how many germinate. Which I don't blame her. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff...you should be able to find the last 2

If Anicarium is found in Hawaii...maybe some of our other members can lend a hand

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Jeff and Jeff-

Christian,

I'm way ahead of you ole buddy. I recently talked to Christie after getting back from her trip to Palau. She informed me that she only brought back about 10 seeds, so there's a slight chance she will pass one on to me. She did say there would be a chance, she just wants to wait and see how many germinate. Which I don't blame her. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Jeff

Jeff-

If you want some of those to germinate, you may want to supervise the propagation at the nursery yourself! :winkie:

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Clark has Moratia Cerifera liners for sale here in California, but he ships to FL. 858-775-6822

Thats up for debate. I have Clarks "Moratia Cerifera's" and they look nothing like the ones Nick and Gary got from Phil - which came from Jeff Marcus. Oddly enough, what I bought as Moratia Cerifera from Clark, he has shipped to others as "Kentiopsis magnifica". Well, at least the pictures sure look like what I have.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Clark has Moratia Cerifera liners for sale here in California, but he ships to FL. 858-775-6822

Thats up for debate. I have Clarks "Moratia Cerifera's" and they look nothing like the ones Nick and Gary got from Phil - which came from Jeff Marcus's own *true* tree. Oddly enough, what I bought as Moratia Cerifera from Clark, he has shipped to others as "Kentiopsis magnifica". Well, at least the pictures sure look like what I have.

And add the possibility that he might not want to spend the money needed to purchase one of the small out islands of New Caledonia,he just wants to buy a palm tree! :winkie:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Thats up for debate. I have Clarks "Moratia Cerifera's" and they look nothing like the ones Nick and Gary got from Phil - which came from Jeff Marcus's own *true* tree. Oddly enough, what I bought as Moratia Cerifera from Clark, he has shipped to others as "Kentiopsis magnifica". Well, at least the pictures sure look like what I have.

Well, lets have a small debate then. Maybe Clark can come on and explain what he's selling as Moratia and where the source of seed/seedlings came from. Simple as that. That would clear evrything up. Yo...

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Clark is free to come here and tell us. I will be happy to tell people what he told Gary, Matt and I. His "seed dealer' got them off the side of the road in NC off a tree. It was a red flag for us but I am always willing to take chances on stuff. Who knows what it will turn out to be - it might be really cool. But I want to make it clear for others not to be surprised if Clarks Moratia's turn out to be something else.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Clark is free to come here and tell us. I will be happy to tell people what he told Gary, Matt and I. His "seed dealer' got them off the side of the road in NC off a tree. It was a red flag for us but I am always willing to take chances on stuff. Who knows what it will turn out to be - it might be really cool. But I want to make it clear for others not to be surprised if Clarks Moratia's turn out to be something else.

Len he told me they came from an Aussie Dealer.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

Let thee who has never sinned cast the first palm seed :lol:

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

would that be kentiopsis magnifica or Moratia cerifera seed? :lol:

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Who knows, maybe an 'Aussie Dealer' collected off a tree in NC on the road side. The ones who have bought this palm like to joke about what it will turn out to be. So it has become a "surprise!?" palm.

I do not think Clark manufactured the name Moratia cerifera knowing it is not (I hope not anyway). I am sure that is what he just bought them as. Like I said, even with red flags I was willing to roll the dice.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

wow did I start all this, All I wanted was a few palms. Maybe he will take this 45 gallon Hyophorbe Amaricaulis in trade for the Moratia Cerifera. :mrlooney:post-641-1227571182_thumb.jpg

JC

wow did I start all this, All I wanted was a few palms. Maybe he will take this 45 gallon Hyophorbe Amaricaulis in trade for the Moratia Cerifera. :mrlooney:post-641-1227571182_thumb.jpg

I just spit coffee all over the keyboard,to damn funny!!!! :floor::floor::floor::floor:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I purchased palms from Clark recently and got a very good deal on some very rare palms! He also is a very cool bro and an accomplished grower!I too got a Moratia and whether or not it turns out to be a Moratia I will not complain about it as I know seed comes in mislabled all the time. In fact I have bought mislabled palms from almost every big nursery in San Diego. Some have turned out better and some have turned out worse. I have got good seed, bad seed,wrong seed and right seed but I have never complained to one person about it because this all comes with the territory of growing rare palms collected by who knows who from far away lands. The point is that you NON GROWERS should think about how you would feel if you were trying to run a nursery and people were publicly bastardizing you and verbily stoning you. THESE THINGS SHOULD BE HANDLED PRIVATELY!!!

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

I just spit coffee all over the keyboard,to damn funny!!!! :floor::floor::floor::floor:

You guys really need to get over all the spilled coffee and milk money and bring something better tasting and possitive to the table. Let it go, because it will just keep circleing the drain till the moderater pulls the plug again.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

I do not see my comments as "publicly bastardizing and verbily stoning" anyone.

And sorry Steve, but if someone wants to use a public forum to sell something (and I dont care who it is, in this case it turned out to be your buddy), then they can handle public comments. If not, they need to get out of the business or get off the forums. Who cares if you sell palms or pet rocks. Sellers will always need to handle complaints to the general public. Any good business owner will tell you that. Also, because someone is a "NON GROWER" that makes us any less capable of having an opinion on the product sold? Since I didn't make my hamburger at Wendy's I should shut up if it taste like crap? Because I did not grow the palm that means I should not warn others that it just might not be a Moratia Cerifera? As a buyer I want to know if others have had issues with a seller. This is why you can go online and find "reviews" about anything. I want to see how the seller handled issues. I want to see if the seller has a bad track record. That is just the way goes. I guess only positive comments are allowed?

Steve, since you drug me into this let me ask you this as it seems the case. My pointing out to others online that the Moratia Cerifera just might not be Moratia Cerifera was wrong? That my warning to others reading this thread that might be inclined to spend hard earned money for a palm that MANY others have concerns for that might not be a Moratia Cerifera should not have been posted? Funny, I thought I was doing my fellow "NON GROWERS" a favor by maybe warning them they might not be buying a Moratia Cerifera.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Isn't Rodney King due to have a press conference here soon?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Len, My comments were not directed as much to you as to others that were relentlessy destroying his reputation as a grower while he was on suspension and could not respond! As I said before we all get palms that are mislabled from time to time and I know in the case of Kostas Clark offered to make good on a refund. Not many of us including Clark have ever seen a Moratia seedling before to be able to compare it too so it would seem an honest mistake. I recently purchased seed from a reputable dealer who I have gotten good seed from in the past. This time right out of the baggie 10 when pinched turned to dust. I only got about 1/3 germination but I did not publicly destroy them on this forum. Also I bought a palm labled Ravenea Sambiriensis from a nursery you ALL have been to that turned out to be a Dypsis but I did'nt trash there reputation either nor will I now! I was also notified that what I bought as Moratia may be something else by a regular poster here VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE. I also purchased from Clark a Dypsis Bejofo, a Dypsis Cote' De' Est and A Voaniala which a got at very fair prices and were what they were supposed to be. The way I see it this is really no differant than bagging on Toby about his seed in public. That is what PM's and E-mails are for :) .

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Steve, I fully understand your point. But I personally think there should be openness to any dealings, good or bad, if you use this forum to sell to its readers. This way the seller can come back and set the record straight or state his/her facts. I like to see how other sellers handle negative comments and I have seen it a few times over the years. When handled right, everyone is happy and both sides win. If someone has a bad track record online, there is probably a reason for that. I think others should be able to read it to make an informed decision. Many garden forums have review areas. Here is one large example:

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

I also understand your comments about mislabeled seed. I know this and even stated in the thread you take a chance in this business. I knew what I had was possibly not Moratia, but I bought 4 anyway. Because if it turns out to be a Moratia or something even cooler, then I win big. If not, no big deal. Over the last few months I have noticed rapid growth and characteristics that tell *me* without a doubt what Clark is still selling as Moratia is not. But I still have no idea what it is 100% - just not a Moratia. ;)

When I read "Clark has Moratia Cerifera liners for sale here in California, but he ships to FL. 858-775-6822 " I felt inclined to make a post that it is up for debate. Who knows, maybe someone that was going to spend some money on the palms will now ask more questions due to my post. That was my only intent. I feel others brought up comments more in tune with how Clark is perceived here overall then what he has for sale and what it is named. That is not my issue however.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Len, As I said most of my coments were directed toward a certain couple of people who don't know Clark and have never been to his nursery to be able to comment on him as a grower. He has thousands of very healthy plants of some very large sizes at very fair prices. And for those who think that your going to buy a 2 ft. tall Kentiopsis Magnifica in Cali for $90 let me know where you find them and I'll buy a bunch. I purchased a 2 ft. one a couple years ago for $225 and I was happy with that price (only because I have'nt killed it yet :) ) Len, I am just looking at things from my standpoint. If I sell a palm to somebody and their not happy with it I would VERY MUCH appreciate it if they would let me know privately so I can make it right rather than air there disapointment here on palmtalk. A shattered reputation is a hard thing to rebuild :hmm: .

Stevo

And add the possibility that he might not want to spend the money needed to purchase one of the small out islands of New Caledonia,he just wants to buy a palm tree! :winkie:

Where is the dead horse avatar when you need it :winkie::winkie: ? This will do :violin: