IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HERES MY PALMNUT GRADUATION FINAL PROJECT

BS Man about Palms

I'm very impressed Bill. Patent it quickly.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Bill,

This would only be done in California, this takes the "cake" alright. Man did you go through alot of work to get this home safely and it did work great. But seriously bro, next time just laid the dand thing over and tie up the leaves and wrap the leaves up with burlap and away you go. You act like you just paid a few hundred dollars or something. :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill: You are only allowed 14 feet unless you can pass it off as double decker bus, which would allow another 3 inches. Of course, if you convince the officer it's a manufactured home, you are given 15 feet. All measured from the surface upon which the vehicle stands, of course. Yeah, thats it, it's a manufactured home for an Orania!

Alan Brickey

Bill, you need a woman! Take that contraption down to the beach and see if you can get some interested ladies who wanna learn all about your Orania contraption.

"Yeah, did I ever tell you about the time, back in Nam, I moved a 38 foot tall Orania squishyersquama with only a matchbook and a paperclip?"

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

While I would like to deny it, Matty is probably right....I wonder what "special women" I could attract with my "rig"??? :unsure:

Anywhoo,

Here it is "in its winter place". I may build a "lean-to" type greenhouse to put over it if it gets cold. Hey who knows WHAT I'll build next. :)

Its being "held in place" by one of those Lowes teddy-bears from a while back.

oraniaout001.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The teddy may look a little rough, but its down on the list of "special care" palms, so I don't think I've fertilised it and only gets minimal watering. But it sat in that same spot as the Orania and came from Hawaii, So I'm hoping for the same "survivability". Is that a word?

oraniaout002.jpg

Oh yes, I think I should add here...Please post your Orania's, no matter the size.

Oh yes, yes, I'm surprised SOME people didn't respond here.... I probably left them speechless, but more than likely it was "...oh thats just normal Bill stuff..." :asleep: :asleep:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

"Yeah, did I ever tell you about the time, back in Nam, I moved a 38 foot tall Orania squishyersquama with only a matchbook and a paperclip?"

That old bit?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

someone left their underoos in yer palm container,dewd.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would give an update. It looks so far like the move was successful. Heres a shot of the growth since home. (Yes I missed the "stationary mark) :P

post-27-1226852747_thumb.jpg

But these pictures show more "good news"!

From Below

oramf001.jpg

From above

oramf004.jpg

Maybe it's reaching out it's new leaf to help finish the stucco. :o:wub:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Fascinating Bill! What a palm, how beautiful! And thank you for the report. I am worried about the full sun exposure straight over the wall. Can't it get burned with sudden warmth from the concrete or scratched over the wall ?

That palm is begging for soil. It has been in the pot for a long while. It will take maybe two years to adjust to new conditions. Chose a nice humid spot with filtered sunlight. Spring come soon!

Carlo

Fascinating Bill! What a palm, how beautiful! And thank you for the report. I am worried about the full sun exposure straight over the wall. Can't it get burned with sudden warmth from the concrete or scratched over the wall ?

That palm is begging for soil. It has been in the pot for a long while. It will take maybe two years to adjust to new conditions. Chose a nice humid spot with filtered sunlight. Spring come soon!

Carlo

Its too big to really find a choice "acclimation area". But I have just enough humidity here to prevent major burn most of the time when I get greenhouse palms. The fronds are stiff and I kinda set it in a corner on purpose. I think it will do OK, but I'm sure those leaves will be a LOT shorter....

Maybe it's reaching out it's new leaf to help finish the stucco. :o:wub:

or maybe to paint all that exposed wood... :blink:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Is our negative reinforcement really working? I don't think so. But it's fun.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Pick a date to help finish the house. I'll work you in.

• 3 weeks later...

Heres an update on the giant. Its been kinda cool since the move. Or, at least not "hot", so I guess I'm happy with the growth.

bigredoro002.jpg

post-27-1228792931_thumb.jpg

That old bit?

I much preferred to make my moves with an M110.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Wow Bill !! Looks like 4" of growth for the year(??) She's really moving along . :) Why don't you ship it south to sunny Florida so she can really grow and get away from all the cold and harsh enviroment there. You know....I was starting to loose some sleep over this knowing if she was going to pull through or not. But hey, 4" is flying! I'm so proud of you son! :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Wow Bill !! Looks like 4" of growth for the year(??) She's really moving along . :) Why don't you ship it south to sunny Florida so she can really grow and get away from all the cold and harsh enviroment there. You know....I was starting to loose some sleep over this knowing if she was going to pull through or not. But hey, 4" is flying! I'm so proud of you son! :)

Jeff

Lissen here Bubby! Thats 4" in SIX weeks. Since I suspect I've maybe had 5 days at most over 80F since the move I'm happy! :P

Oh yes, please feel free to post pix of all the large Orania you have down your way... :)

• 1 month later...

Been working until late since the 33-34F overnight 5 days ago. That and a bit drier here too. I saw today this palm did not like this. I hope it recovers. :(

• 7 years later...

Bump just for old times sake..  The palm did not survive, but mainly because I did not fully know the contents of the soil in the pot. The post mortem showed the palm was originally grown in a very light mix with perlite, etc. It had been in the pot so long, it had settled been used up. It was "refilled" with a much heavier, clay type soil that would literally pool up on top when watering. As the top stayed moist, I assumed it was that way all the way down.. The top was wet, but the roots dried out.. gone.

• 2 months later...

Wish I had planted that sucker... does anyone know of any Orania from Madagascar in the ground doing OK?