IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HERES MY PALMNUT GRADUATION FINAL PROJECT

BS Man about Palms

Well, Just like Kim said on another thread, I'm still helping the economy. Maybe a little less than I did earlier this year or last, but I'm helping. :D

So,

I bought a large palm recently that I had been eyeing at JD Andersens for a couple years. I needed to build something to carry it home.

Its a good thing the CocaCola people like me. :blink:

Heres what I started building.

orania001.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This will give you an idea of the size of what I'm getting...AND the "rack" is STILL a lot shorter than the palm!

orania003.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hmmmm, can you figure out what it is from this shot? (I know, its buried in all that other stuff)

orania004.jpg

Maybe this view will help.... (lots of neat stuff back in there)

orania005.jpg

OK. Give up? Heres Six foot, six inch tall Dan Andersen standing next to my newly purchased bouncing baby Orania longisquama. I figure maybe 10 foot leaves? (sure to be shorter out side)

I have been fascinated by this palm from Madagascar for a while (mainly, would it live outside on the coast?) Since I have been very happy with my large Dypsis lastelliana over the past year or more, so I decided to have a go at this.

orania007.jpg

• Upvote 1

Don't bust a spleen laughing, but over the next several hours, Dan helped me finish assembling my "rack".

I should note here that I believe Dan thought the palm was at least 10 years old. I was worried about the weight of the leaves, spear, etc. when placed on its side and therefore put a lot of stress on that growing point. Since it is a good bit stretched from its greenhouse years, that leaf I suspect weighs a lot.

orania008.jpg

Quit the contraption!!!!

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Yep, there it is ready for a normal 45 min drive home. I KNEW it would take longer as I planned to not go over 20 mph. We sat and a soda before I left and Dan and I noticed how little it moved in the breezes versus when we started. :)

I made a rough measurement from tip of frond to ground at about 16 feet. I was worried about power wires strung over the road and low branches.

orania009.jpg

Cool!

Are you planting it in the ground?

Soon?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Quit the contraption!!!!

Yep, since I couldn't really take "accurate" measurements beforehand, I knew I would have to assemble it more "on site". I ended up using deck screws (more or less) and marking stakes to isolate the movement from the wind. Kinda an "exoskeleton Iron Maiden", if you will.

Cool!

Are you planting it in the ground?

Soon?

Hopefully next year....

Well at almost exactly 2 hours travel time, I made it home(I never went over 25mph, usually 20-22mph). I told Dan I was worried about some low wires on the way to his place and he knew which ones I was talking about. I was gonna slide the palm back, lower the gate and go under. Umm, that sucker is heavy! Now I know how much work Dan was doing! (Thanks Dan!) But at that wire, I ended up backing up, going over a dirt path near some mailboxes AFTER I had walked over to break off a "moderately" low hanging branch. After that it was ALOT of zig zagging over the road to avoid low branches, but at one semi-busy "y" intersection, (or near there) I almost was at a snails pace and looking up and out the window as the spear rubbed the bottom of a large 10" branch! :angry:

But, Heres home.

orania010.jpg

Heres AT home, awaiting my decision where it will "overwinter". I have to say, although it looked a bit hokey, the "rack" worked quite well. Well enough I probably won't trash it. At least for a while.

orania011.jpg

I'll post some more pics when its "released".

Looks like a gallows, for an 'angin' . . . . :)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I think even Leonardo da vinci would apreciate that architectural masterpice.

Thanks Aaron, I think "Pisa" did come up in the conversation.....

I'd save that "PalmRunner" device for future purposes!

I was going to guess Ravenea sp giant, or Ceroxylon. That will be an instant eye magnet in your yard, wherever you put it.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Nice work BS. That is a sweet setup.

I know I'm a bit far from you, but I have a 24' long X 8'wide X 7' tall (inside dimension) box trailer if you ever need a transporter to borrow. It is fully enclosed so you could pump up the speed.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I know I'm a bit far from you, but I have a 24' long X 8'wide X 7' tall (inside dimension) box trailer if you ever need a transporter to borrow. It is fully enclosed so you could pump up the speed.

Matt

Thanks Matt. But if you look close in to the right of the pic in post #14, you'll see mine. B)

Yep, there it is ready for a normal 45 min drive home. I KNEW it would take longer as I planned to not go over 20 mph. We sat and a soda before I left and Dan and I noticed how little it moved in the breezes versus when we started. :)

I made a rough measurement from tip of frond to ground at about 16 feet. I was worried about power wires strung over the road and low branches.

orania009.jpg

How did this thing do on the freeway going under the over passes..... it must have been a squeeze :blink:

Hell friend of Coco Cola.....more like a friends in the CHP!

Bill you take the cake.......every time! :rolleyes:

NO JOB TOO BIG BILL>

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Matt

Thanks Matt. But if you look close in to the right of the pic in post #14, you'll see mine. B)

Dohhh!

Funny, I looked at that pic and never saw your trailer. coocoo.gif

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

pure genius my friend!!

If only I had that when I moved my 24" orange crush

:crying:

:rant:

:violin:

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Bill, this does it. Pushes you over the top for "Palm Nut of the Year". I'm so jealous I can't go to a nursery and buy a palm like that!

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Clark, -no freeways needed, all back roads.

Dave, -sadly, your Orange Crushs demise(?) shall always be a reminder.

Robert, -its true!

Matt,- :bemused:

Bill,

Granted, this palm is really stretched out and that weakens it. But, why didn't you just rent a UHaul, lay it down with support in the box, and transport it wind-free laying down? Did you think that laying it down would snap it in two? If you had no choice, this method gives you the Joe-the-Carpenter Award.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Bill,

Granted, this palm is really stretched out and that weakens it. But, why didn't you just rent a UHaul, lay it down with support in the box, and transport it wind-free laying down? Did you think that laying it down would snap it in two? If you had no choice, this method gives you the Joe-the-Carpenter Award.

Phil

I agree Phil, he deffinatly gets my vote for Joe the carpenter!!!! This thread reminds me of when i bought a Syagrus SP from Jeff Searle. It was every bit as tall as Bills palm but it was all trunk, not just fronds!!! I put it into the back of my 8ft pickup truck bed and laid it down and took the 2 and a half hour trip up I-95 to my home. We had all kind of funny looks from people and Jeffs father "Pops" said there was no way i was gonna make it without FHP stopping me!! I gambled and won!!!!! :lol:

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Bill,

Phil

Phil, that was my first thought, but when you look at the size of the base, relative to the "teeny pencil" sized roots at the bottom, I was just "sure" it was gonna snap if subjected to laying on its side.

Couldn't find much info on "moving large Orania in Southern California" laughing025.gif

So I guess, Yes, I thought it "would snap it in two".

Plus, a theory I've had for a couple years now, If a palm I find or someone else found, took 8-10 years or so to get to that size, whats several hours or a day in the scheme of things amount to?

There is nobody on this planet that would go through this much work to transport a palm, that is awesome Bill.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

that's why I leave all those 'unsightly' leaves attached until a palm is securely planted in the ground (post #4) - for lateral support of the growing point & spear

Bill - if you re-rig that tower & strike oil, you could subsidize your habit

hats off & bravo

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Bill,

Maybe you should use the tower to stabilize it after planting. Use it as an "oil derrick" to hold the leaf in plance until it grows and stabilizes. Otherwise a Santa Ana or windstorm might destroy all your work.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Danny, It had been trimmed before I bought it. I leave the leaves on a LONG time.

Phil, thankfully its rare that it gets to 20 mph here from the Santa Ana's, I think I remember some winterstorms that were in the high 30mph zone. But I have considered "something" to support it for a while.

Trimmed???

What the heck NAWED off those fronds?

Somebody needs a sharper saw, or sharper prunning shears! :unsure:

Bill, you are a one of kind PALM NUT! :)

That puts Bobbys' palmscraper in the dust, by a long shot!

Excellent job!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I detected a minor amount of envy here, so I thought I'd post some detail shots of the construction....

Please note the use of high tech, light weight spacer to adjust base to backbone correctly. Also handy to catch falling screws while attaching "stake ribs". :winkie:

oraniahome001.jpg

Somewhat of an eye level view.

oraniahome002.jpg

That sucker is tall!!! :drool:

oraniahome003.jpg

Have to get the rope back for my work, so grabbed a ladder to snap a close up. Note the "rubbed" tip of the spear. It did have a little bit of a "tail" when I first got to JDA's.

oraniahome004.jpg

Looking down. I made it so the palm could move, but not really more than an inch in any direction.

oraniahome005.jpg

Bill, congrats on the new palm purchase. You win the prize for best palm transport, great job!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

That is just weird. :mellow:

But it worked, just the way you planned! I will be watching your success or difficulty with this palm, very interesting. It's good to have someone else try the experiments first! We're going to have a saying around here, "Bill tried it, and ..."

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.