IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The 10th Annual Fall Searle Brothers Plant Extravaganza! -●●●- October 3rd, 4th & 5th 2008: Friday, Saturday, & Sunday -●●- W. Broward County, Florida

Palmarum

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. & The Rainforest Collection® presents...

The 10th Annual Fall Weekend Plant Extravaganza!

The time has come again for plant and palm enthusiasts around South Florida and places beyond, to join us at Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc. for our annual fall plant Extravaganza. We are celebrating the 10th Anniversary of our renowned fall open house event and wish for you to be apart of it. We have been planting and propagating all summer long to bring a vast selection of lush tropicals, hard-to-find exotics, and decorative ornamental plants to the public. The entire diversity of plants that will be found for sale among the aisles will not be limited to the noted selections. It has become a popular Extravaganza attraction that botanical oddities, representing far away locales and forgotten plant families, have appeared for purchase. These include items of both high rarity and incredible beauty. Many of our customers, who have been to our event, have found that one extra gem to bring home. The Extravaganzas have become a great way for IPS Members and Palmtalk Forum Members to meet and greet in the South Florida area. We always have plenty to talk about, as I can only imagine what we will be discussing at the upcoming one. They have always been as much social events as plant sales. Now, time for the details...

Searle Brothers Nursery, Inc.

6640 SW 172nd Avenue

Southwest Ranches, Florida 33331

Western Broward County

see map below...

Schedule:

Friday, October 3rd - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Saturday, October 4th - 8:00AM - 5:00PM

Sunday, October 5th - 9:00AM - 4:00PM

Our famous Free Lunch: Saturday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM - Sunday, 11:00AM - 2:00PM

Nursery Office #: (954) 434-7681

Nursery Fax #: (954) 680-2750

Nursery Website: www.rainforestcollection.com

Jeff Searle #: (954) 658-4317 Email: palms@rainforestcollection.com PM: Private Message Jeff through Palmtalk

Ryan Email: rdgpalm@bellsouth.net PM: Private Message Ryan through Palmtalk

- General Map of western Broward County showing the location of the nursery [palm tree]. Using Sheridan Street would be the best option to get to the nursery if you are heading west. If you are taking the Florida Turnpike, use the Griffin Road exit from the north, or the Pines Blvd. exit from the south. If you need any additional directions, please contact the nursery, Jeff or myself. When you get close to the nursery, look for large power lines, as they run above the nursery. Parking is along the shoulder of 172nd Avenue in front of, and down the street from, the nursery entrance.

scan0004.jpg

Plant Availability, Photo Requests:

For plant availability, species list, and other information regarding which plants will be for sale, please contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or I (Ryan). Plants are chosen and pulled for sale right up into the last day before the Friday of the Extravaganza. Special selections might be pulled for sale with recommendations, but only if the plants are available. There will be certain species that will only be represented by one or two plants. These limited plants will likely sell out quickly, so availability on them would be short. Like with previous events, I am able to provide preview photos of plants for sale which I would be able to send to those who are interested. Send me a message if you would like photos of specific plants. Please do not ask for photos of 'everything', I have gotten many requests like that before and it’s a bit hard to do. Plants will be individually priced with labels. Sale booklets will be made available at the Extravaganza; they will include the list of palm species for sale. They will be located at the entrances to the main shade house.

Selected Plant Groups:

Palms: From common to ultra rare, including over 300 Species, and this number is likely to be closer to 400, plus over 500 Container Size Groups...

Aroids:

Agaves: Dependable landscape varieties...

Bamboo:

Bromeliads: A large selection of dependable landscape species and collectable cultivars...

Cycads:

Crotons: About 100 Croton varieties...

Cordylines:

Heliconias, Gingers and other members of the Zingiberales order...

Orchids:

Tropical Flowering Trees:

Landscape Ornamentals:

and many more...

- The sale flyer. We mailed out sale flyers to everyone on our mailing list starting the end of this week and continuing into next week. If you are on the mailing list and do not receive one, please let Jeff or myself know. In addition, if you would like to be placed on the mailing list for future Extravaganza flyers, please send me a message with your address.

scan.jpg

Plant Carts:

We do provide a limited amount of carts for customers to use, but it is recommended that you bring your own plant shopping conveyance. They go quickly in the morning as soon as the gates open.

- The 10th Annual Spring Plant Extravaganza was a huge success earlier this year in March. Many came out to fulfill their plant needs and wants. To see more photos taken during the event, follow the link below:

10th Annual Spring Plant Extravaganza, March 2008

2008-03-08_12-18-52.jpg

- The main shade house is the prime hub of activity for those looking for rare and unusual palm species.

2008-03-08_11-30-46.jpg

There is a very nice hotel within a short driving distance of the nursery. It has been used by our customers and volunteers in the past who travel a long way to reach the Extravaganza and who require a place to stay. The Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines/Ft. Lauderdale West is located at the intersection of I-75 and Sheridan Street. If you like to inquire about the hotel, follow the link below:

Hampton Inn Pembroke Pines

If you need any information I have not included here, feel free to contact the nursery, Jeff Searle or myself by the methods mentioned above. I will be posting an additional topic about the sale as the event unfolds on the first day of the Extravaganza. Jeff and I look forward to meeting new and familiar Palmtalk Forum members and IPS members at each and every event. Be sure to find one of us and introduce yourself. You will be sure to find other members at the Extravaganza as well. We have had welcomed surprise visits from members all over the country. The entire Searle family and our loads of volunteers will be waiting to help you find that perfect plant. We hope to see you there. :)

Ryan

South Florida

• 2 weeks later...

Wish I was there. I will be in spirit. :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill and Vince,

The Extravaganza will be heavy with your spirits indeed, and I am sure there are others who will share in your long distance participation in the event. I need to find a place that can make large, cardboard cut-outs of Forum members so I can set them up at the Extravaganza and other events. I am sure people would have fun with a cardboard "Bill" that's hanging out at the sale.

I went through the list of requests I have so far and filtered out the ones mentioning species that will be for sale. I took photos today of some of the requested species that have been already pulled and labeled. The remaining palms and plants are still being processed.

- Always a popular request, Pelagodoxa henryana is available in two sizes. The three gallon plants are $50.00 each and the one ten gallon is $200.00.

RDG2008-09-26_16-13-10.jpg

- Attendees from the Costa Rican Biennial should be able to recognize this palm. There are two, seven gallon Iriartea deltoidea out for sale, about three-quarters of the way down the sidewalk on the left side. They are $100.00 each.

RDG2008-09-26_16-14-41.jpg

- The latter-half of the sidewalk sales area in the main shade house is getting quite full. Jeff still has more palms to add, in addition to cordylines and aroids.

RDG2008-09-26_16-17-24.jpg

- The other half, looking back towards the entrance to the main shade house. I was standing on a golf cart when I took the shot, in case you were wondering if I had grown a few extra feet.

RDG2008-09-26_16-17-55.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- This species was not a request, but specimens do not appear at sales very often so a little preview was in order. Oraniopsis appendiculata, in three gallon pots. There are only two available, and they are $50.00 each.

RDG2008-09-26_16-19-07.jpg

- One of the king Caryota species, Caryota no featuring those extra wide pinnae. Many of the larger palms are pulled in pairs, with one on either side of the sidewalk. There are two of these 25 gallon size palms for sale, each priced at $150.00.

RDG2008-09-26_16-19-43.jpg

- Up-close and in person.

RDG2008-09-26_16-19-58.jpg

- The tables are overflowing with the rarest of the rare, and the smallest palms for sale. We had to put the extra stock under the tables, so when you see palms underneath they are still for sale. Each row of palms represents a different species.

RDG2008-09-26_16-24-05.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A pair of very hairy Dypsis utilis 10 gallons. They are on the left side, not far from the entrance. They are $75.00 each and the one of the left has already begun to branch.

RDG2008-09-26_16-21-22.jpg

- The branching is clean and proportionately equal, a neat characteristic of this palm.

RDG2008-09-26_16-21-32.jpg

- Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, the popular Diamond Joey, is available in a few 3 gallons for $100.00 each.

RDG2008-09-26_16-25-27.jpg

I will get some more photographed next week leading up to the sale, keep on sending the requests.

Ryan

South Florida

- A pair of very hairy Dypsis utilis 10 gallons. They are on the left side, not far from the entrance. They are $75.00 each and the one of the left has already begun to branch.

RDG2008-09-26_16-21-22.jpg

- The branching is clean and proportionately equal, a neat characteristic of this palm.

RDG2008-09-26_16-21-32.jpg

- Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, the popular Diamond Joey, is available in a few 3 gallons for $100.00 each.

RDG2008-09-26_16-25-27.jpg

I will get some more photographed next week leading up to the sale, keep on sending the requests.

Ryan

Ryan,how much is the one gallon just behind the dypsis utilis. Although I think Ive got a few of those already. :drool:

JC

Once again...i will miss the sale :crying:

My Audio convention in SF always seems to be the same weekend.

Greg will be there with my credit card tho...put a few things aside for me Ryan.

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

Wow, that looks like a very clean, neat, and well-run nursery with good presentation and lots of interesting palms and plants for sale. If only I were closer I'd stop by to say hello to the cool people who run it and to look around for some extra-special additions to my garden. Darn, I am way too far away! Have a fun and successful sale, Searle Brothers!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Wow, that looks like a very clean, neat, and well-run nursery with good presentation and lots of interesting palms and plants for sale. If only I were closer I'd stop by to say hello to the cool people who run it and to look around for some extra-special additions to my garden. Darn, I am way too far away! Have a fun and successful sale, Searle Brothers!

Well thank-you !! We will........providing the weather is nice.

Searle brothers

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ryan, Are you going to post a list? Also before you hide stuff for Mike, tell Jeff I'll bring him a cooler if he sneaks Me in the back gate 15 minutes early.

JC

Ryan, More photos please :D

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

I hope that you guys have a great sale this weekend. Wish that I could make it but not possible at the moment.

Robert

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Ryan, Are you going to post a list? Also before you hide stuff for Mike, tell Jeff I'll bring him a cooler if he sneaks Me in the back gate 15 minutes early.

Jeff,

Why don't YOU tell me your going to bring me a cooler. :lol: Besides, what might be in this cooler.......? Besides a great collection of palms, many sizes to chose from, some really good prices that I'm going to offer, but better yet, some other really cool plants to add to the tropical garden. This will probably be my best collection of plants EVER. Hope to see many of you there. Please stop by and say hi to Ryan or myself before you leave.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Why don't YOU tell me your going to bring me a cooler. :lol: Besides, what might be in this cooler.......? Besides a great collection of palms, many sizes to chose from, some really good prices that I'm going to offer, but better yet, some other really cool plants to add to the tropical garden. This will probably be my best collection of plants EVER. Hope to see many of you there. Please stop by and say hi to Ryan or myself before you leave.

Jeff

The cooler would contain Panulirus Argus.

JC

street124 Posted Yesterday, 10:09 PM

With the stipulations on having prices included with any list, or palm mentioned for sale, it makes it difficult to post a list. We are still working on prices and pulling plants. I can try sending the list separately to those who PM me with an email, I will email the booklet to you. I was going to post, asking a cooler of what?, but Jeff beat me to it. I am sure if it is full of crab and sauce I am sure you could get his attention.

RainForestt Robert Posted Today, 04:51 AM

I hope that you guys have a great sale this weekend. Wish that I could make it but not possible at the moment.

Robert

Robert, there is always a red shirt here waiting for you. It is a dream to have many Forum members at the Extravaganza at the same time. Every year, we keep breaking the record.

palmisland Posted Today, 12:25 AM

Ryan, More photos please

I captured a few more requests today, towards the end of the day when it wasn't raining. At least the weather report for the week gets better the closer we get towards the weekend.

- Licuala peltata var. sumawongii, in three sizes. The largest 10 gallon plants are $275.00 and the 7 gallon ones are $135.00.

2008-09-30_16-26-57.jpg

- Carpoxylon macrospermum, a request from earlier last week, but the group was assembled today. The 15 gallon plants are $175.00, and the smaller one gallons are $15.00.

2008-09-30_16-28-13.jpg

- I had a request for Calyptrocalyx micholitzii, but there are none for sale this time, but we do have a close cousin available. Calyptrocalyx flabellatus is a relatively new species and has great color. We only have three, 2-inch size plants for sale and they are $10.00 each.

2008-09-30_16-28-39.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

street124 Posted Today, 07:01 PM

The cooler would contain Panulirus Argus.

Spiny Lobster would probably be an even better bribe.

- I was asked for photos of "any interesting Dypsis species" so that request alone could keep me busy for hours. I did notice the coloration on this very rare one the other day.

2008-09-30_16-29-36.jpg

- This is Dypsis sp. "Lemana's Baroni" and it seems to have an inverse coloration compared to the Mealybug Palm. Instead of white, raised markings on a dark background, this one has dark, raised markings on a white background. I won't go into much details about its history or description, but it is in a one gallon pot and is $100.00.

2008-09-30_16-29-53.jpg

- Neoveitchia storckii, in 3 gallons and 15 gallons. The 3 gallon plants are $45.00, and a price of $150.00 is on the 15 gallon plants.

2008-09-30_16-31-12.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- I was carting this very hefty Areca guppyana to his new assigned spot to join his brethren when I noticed it would make a decent photo. He is in a 15 gallon container and will run any fan of Areca $100.00.

2008-09-30_16-50-10.jpg

- He is mature and flowering profusely.

2008-09-30_16-51-14.jpg

- The base is propped up on a series of thick stilt roots.

2008-09-30_16-51-37.jpg

I will get some more requests done tomorrow, feel free to continue to add to them.

Ryan

South Florida

- A requested cycad photo for the cycad fanatic in all of us. This is the epiphyte Zamia pseudoparasitica growing well in a wooden basket. It is $250.00 and is hanging at the front of the V.I.P. tent, no invite required, not yet anyway. The gender is currently unknown.

RDG2008-10-01_17-29-36.jpg

- The caudex is about the size of a baseball and the basket is about 10 inches square.

RDG2008-10-01_17-29-48.jpg

- I got a request for any "odds and ends" and this group of plants definitely fits the term 'odd'. These are 3 gallon Dinner Plate Ficus, or Ficus dammaropsis. They are $150.00 each.

RDG2008-10-01_17-36-39.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

Are those Satakentias bottom left ? If so, How much for those ?

RDG2008-09-26_16-17-24.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Lets jump into your Lear Jet and pick up a few plants WAL .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Wal,

You were very close. Those are Carpoxylon macrospermum, Satakentia's closest cousin. They are 15 gallon plants and are $175.00, with one gallons nearby at $15.00. There are in fact Satakentias in the photo, but you can only see their pots and part of a few leaves. There are 10 gallon and 3 gallon-sized plants for sale, with the #10's priced at $60.00 and the #3's priced at $30.00. I will get a photo of the Satakentias today.

Ryan

South Florida

PiousPalms Posted Today, 10:36 AM

How about Kerriodoxa elegans? Got any White Elephants?

Yes, we have a large batch of 4 different sizes in the usual location in the back half of the shade house, on the left side. They are $10.00 each for the 1 gallon plants, the 3 gallon individuals are $35.00, $75.00 for the larger 7-gallon plants and last but not least, the deluxe 10 gallon-size plants are priced at $150.00 each.

Ryan

South Florida

Lets jump into your Lear Jet and pick up a few plants WAL .

Don't be silly Michael, you don't need a lear jet, he can just email them to me.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Will you have any Hemithrinax ekmaniana, Coccothrinax macroglossa, or Thrinax parviflora var parviflora for sale? If so, what size?

Justin P Posted Today, 08:08 PM

Will you have any Hemithrinax ekmaniana, Coccothrinax macroglossa, or Thrinax parviflora var parviflora for sale? If so, what size?

Hemithrinax I wish, but no, not this sale. No Thrinax parviflora either. We do have Coccothrinax macroglossa in two sizes, 3 small two-inch plants ($5.00 each) and 1 large 7-gallon ($85.00). The two-inch plants are at the first table in the shade house and the 7-gallon is outside in the full sun section.

Ryan

South Florida

- More requests for the palm addicted. Red Sealing Wax Palms, Cyrtostachys renda are always a hot item at most events, as they are so easily recognizable and identifiable. We have them available in 5, count them five sizes this Fall. 1-gallons ($20.00 each), 3-gallons ($50.00 each), 7-gallons, not so many ($125.00 each), a lone 10-gallon ($300.00) and the "instant gratification" size, a glowing red, hefty 20-gallon ($800.00).

RDG2008-10-02_16-10-34.jpg

- Red everywhere...

RDG2008-10-02_16-10-57.jpg

- Satakentia liukiuensis, promised from earlier, a few 3-gallons ($30.00 each) and a pair of 10-gallons ($60.00 each).

RDG2008-10-02_16-11-51.jpg

- Table One... The home for the rarest of the rare, and often the first spot hit on Friday morning. We shall see tomorrow.

RDG2008-10-02_16-12-29.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- A late request, but not the size that was wanted, a 25-gallon Itaya amicorum ($850.00). There are also 1-gallon plants available ($20.00 each). We do not have 3-gallons, but perhaps next Fall.

RDG2008-10-02_16-12-54.jpg

- A trio of Drymophloeus oliviformis 7-gallons ($50.00 each). The request was for any members of the genus, so I picked one at random.

RDG2008-10-02_16-14-13.jpg

- One of the Ptychosperma sp. "Wotoboho" 7-gallons ($65.00) is currently in bloom.

RDG2008-10-02_16-14-44.jpg

- The plants are quite tall for their pots. They are great growers and a perfect example of an attractive solitary Ptychosperma.

RDG2008-10-02_16-14-55.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The entrance to the main shade house featuring the Rainforest Collection. Everything is in place and the sidewalks are packed with plant material waiting to be looked through. Jeff Searle is waiting patiently at the threshold.

RDG2008-10-02_17-13-32.jpg

- The sprinklers had just shut off, so everything is well watered for tomorrow.

RDG2008-10-02_17-14-20.jpg

- A few aroids mingle with cordylines.

RDG2008-10-02_17-14-42.jpg

- To the immediate left upon entering the shade house, this section is dedicated to cordylines.

RDG2008-10-02_17-15-13.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The right side area is dedicated to aroids, but many other unusual plants occupy the same space.

RDG2008-10-02_17-15-20.jpg

- The area out in front of the shade house features prime real estate given to Tropical Flowering trees, Heliconias, Gingers, Vines and many other exotics.

RDG2008-10-02_17-16-04.jpg

- The main intersection in front of the holding area, leading to the main road.

RDG2008-10-02_17-16-54.jpg

- Bromeliads... Many Bromeliads... I wish I knew more of them so I could post their names.

RDG2008-10-02_17-17-48.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- The area given to Bromeliads gets larger every Extravaganza. The mix of color is a lot to take in at once.

RDG2008-10-02_17-18-02.jpg

- The Bromeliad section continues down, meeting up with the Croton display, with more plants even further down the road.

RDG2008-10-02_17-18-06.jpg

- It was 18 minutes past 5, so it was time to go. I took one more photo showing the near-endless selection of landscape plants that seemed to keep on going.

RDG2008-10-02_17-18-28.jpg

I will start a normal topic in the main Discussing Palms forum, starting Friday night with the chronicle of the day's events. I hope to see as many Forum members as I can during the weekend. Even if you don't post often or are new to the Forum, please find myself or Jeff and say hello. We plan to provide a great time for everyone, so come on by the nursery if you are able to, even if its just to say hi.

Ryan

South Florida

Jeff and Ryan, et al.

Having been there, its so cool to see the place all "tarted up" and in full color for the sale. It looks awesome!!!

BS Man

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It would be so cool to have an 8AM live stream of the front gate.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

BS Man about Palms Posted Today, 01:17 AM

Jeff and Ryan, et al.

Having been there, its so cool to see the place all "tarted up" and in full color for the sale. It looks awesome!!!

BS Man

It is a well-oiled process getting the sale all prepped and ready. It is a great feeling when first timers get wow'd when they enter the sales area. Bill, you would be at home at the Extravaganza, and I am sure you would be 'assigned' to the shade house.

Ray Tampa Posted Today, 08:08 AM

It would be so cool to have an 8AM live stream of the front gate.

I actually thought of using virtual meeting technology to allow people to view different sale areas remotely over the internet while live. Actually doing it is a few years away though. I have photos of the front gate opening coming up in the topic in the main forum.

Ryan

South Florida