Alaric Prince

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 palmazon

palmazon

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

Last Saturday, I was both surprised and saddened to hear Al Prince passed on. For those who don't know, he donated his time as Back Issues chairman for the Southern California Palm Society - he was the white guy with dreadlocks attending most meetings; he also shared a booth at the Fullerton Arboretum Show & Sale. He ran a nursery called Suburban Paradise - the impression he gave me was a modest hobbyist operation in Anaheim. Through an associate, I learned he was growing some unusual palms - Irving Cantor's Chamaedorea hybrid, Trachycarpus takil, and some germination attempts with 'mule' Butiagrus seed. We only became acquainted when I contacted him regarding a former lady friend of his (with hilarious consequences), and also when I bought some back issues of the journal. He was always friendly and pleasant - may he rest in peace.

I get by with a little help from my fronds

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 JEFF from Trabuco Canyon CA

JEFF from Trabuco Canyon CA

• IPS MEMBER
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

I was so sad to hear this when Danny called me the other night. I will always remember him as friendly person who loved plants. RIP!
Jeff Rood

#3 BS Man about Palms

BS Man about Palms

This TVR is trapped in my garage by PALMS!

• IPS MEMBER
  • 16,447 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

Wow. Thats a surprise. I had been meaning to reach him.
Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."
"Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."
-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

#4 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 20,637 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 02:19 PM

He came to a number of my palm sales, always thoroughly scoured my entire inventory, sought out the small, obscure treasures.

Sad to hear he's gone. :(

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

#5 Cycadcenter

Cycadcenter

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 839 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 08:23 PM

Sad to hear of Al's passing. He was one of the truely nice people in the palm and cycad world. He would attend most of the sales in the Southern California area and would always make a few purchases of cycads from us to add to his list of plants.

He will be missed by all who knew him.

Bruce and Suzi Ironmonger
Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

#6 tropicalb

tropicalb

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:17 AM

I remember seeing him at the very first PSSC meeting i went to in Fallbrook and thinking "well, at least there is one other long-haired guy besides myself here"..........unfortunately, i never made the effort to meet him.
Sorry to hear of his passing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users