IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

nice local Banyan Tree, Ficus benghalensis

Eric in Orlando

I found a nice sized Banyan Tree, Ficus benghalensis growing in a local yard. It is developing the characteristic aerial roots. It is growing right next to a road so will create a good tunnel effect. Nice to see a Banyan since they really aren't sold in nurseries here. Usually the Ficus that are planted are things like F. benjamina, F. microcarpa, F. elastica F. lyrata and the occasional F. altissima 'Variegata'.

100_0776.jpg

100_0777.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Nice find Eric!

These trees are rarer than hen's teeth in north Pinellas, but are fairly widespread in older sections of south Pinellas.

These trees are truly majestic.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Nice find Eric. There are a few big ones in my neighborhood that have survived the test of time.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

They should grow here. There used to be a fairly large one south of downtown Orlando. It was killed to the ground in the '89 freeze. I discovered it in summer 1993 and it was already back 20ft tall, it had a huge buttress so must have been a big tree. A few years ago it was cleared out as the land was redeveloped. Luckily I got cuttings from it and we have 2 big trees from it here at Leu Gardens. They have taken down to 26-27F with only some leaf burn.

You never see these or F. altissima for sale in nurseries. There are some Ficus getting big agaon in this area but they are the species commonly sold as tropical foliage; F. benjamina, F. microcarpa, F. elastica, and F. lyrata. On occasion you might see the variegated form of F. altissima.

Here is one of the banyans here at Leu Gardens, photo is from 2 years ago;

4205.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

Nice trees! I love these. They got a really bad rap during the hurricanes because they blew down. But they blew down because the prop roots had been removed. I think if the prop roots are allowed to growm, they can withstand the winds much better. I may be totally off base on this but it makes sense to me. Mother Nature didn't develop those prop roots for show!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

The Ficus that blew down are the ones with the props removed. And because in SoFL so many are misused in parking lots and other limited space locations, they aren't allowed to develop naturally. Their big canopy becomes top heavy and without the extra support that was intended, they go over. They are called prop roots for a reason ! A good example are the Ficus that line Old Cutler Rd. Sure they lost branches but none really went over, not even in Andrew, but then they have been allowed to grow. The big banyan at Edison's estate in Ft. Myers went thru Charley just fine when most of the garden there was devastated. Same with the one at Cypress Gardens.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

One of the reasons you don't see many for sale is that they are on the "Bad Boy" list in Floriduh. The wasp that pollinates them has been imported or the other wasps figured out how to pollinate them, and now you see them popping up very far from the parent tree. I see them in cracks of the interstate overpass and in Sabals. There are a couple volunteers in the Arboretum.

There are two very large ones not far from me that are somewhat locally historic. One was going to be knocked down when a condo was being built on A1A, but so many people protested that the developer changed his mind and made it a center piece in his landscape. Another is at one of the oldest houses in Deerfield, right on Hillsboro Booly. I will try to get some pics.

Geraldo

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

I love banyans. When I travel to India they are planted in a lot of old areas and are allowed to grow roots from the branches. I think the cutting of these roots must be responsible for their poor hurricane resistance because they hold up fine to strong tropical systems in India.

Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Eric,

How can you distinguish F. benghalensis from the other (commonly seen) Ficus species? There is a Ficus growing on a sabal palm in my Mom's yard (here in Sarasota) that doesn't look to be the native strangler fig and I'm wondering if it might be one of the previously mentioned F.b. recruits.

And, related FYI, I've got a F. macrophylla that I am just about to "turn loose" in a large open area in my yard (having been inspired by the incredible specimen at Selby Gardens here).

Thanks...

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Eric,

How can you distinguish F. benghalensis from the other (commonly seen) Ficus species? There is a Ficus growing on a sabal palm in my Mom's yard (here in Sarasota) that doesn't look to be the native strangler fig and I'm wondering if it might be one of the previously mentioned F.b. recruits.

And, related FYI, I've got a F. macrophylla that I am just about to "turn loose" in a large open area in my yard (having been inspired by the incredible specimen at Selby Gardens here).

Thanks...

Tim

I also have a couple of Florida exotic figs that I'm not sure about. Maybe, one of these match Tim's.

post-436-1220649902_thumb.jpg

(backside)

post-436-1220649937_thumb.jpg

1. The first is maybe F. altissima? Doesn't F. benghalensis have more of a palmate vein structure?

2. The second is one that came up in a potted palm I bought at a South Florida sale. It's only a young 1 footer, so I suspect the leaves will get larger. It's also appearing to lose the curious lobes at the bottom of the blade.

3. The third is F. aurea.

4. And the last is F. microcarpa.

Central Florida, 28.42N 81.18W, Elev. 14m

Zone 9b

Summers 33/22C, Winters 22/10C Record Low -7C

Rain 6cm - 17cm/month with wet summers 122cm annually

I have one with big leaves like the one on the left. I just know it's a banyan tree. If I plant it, I will have a tree house in 50 or 100 years.

Edited by BigFrond

That Orlando banyan must be kept in check, unless it's still young, as it's definitely in a bad location. It would get out of control quickly.

At the southwest end of my subdivision is a large lake. The family living at the southeast end of the lake (on 13 acres) planted all kinds of tropical stuff back in the 1950s. They have five large Ficus bengalensis trees and two large Ficus microcarpa and other ficus species I'm not familar with (Bob Riffle looked at these other ficus trees and even he wasn't sure of the species). There are also about 25 old royal palms there.

I talked to the owners some years ago and they told me everything withstood all of the freezes from the late 50s til present time, a testament of the value of a large body of water, and being on the southeast end of it here in south central Florida. However, the '89 freeze did severely burn the canopies of the royals.

When my place, just 1-1/2 miles away, was virtually wiped out by the 22 degree low I had on January 5, 2001, these trees and royals near lakeside were not hurt. The lake waters, even in January average close to 70 degrees.

View of two F. benghalensis trees from roadway into my subdivision:

100_0360.jpg

Zoomed image showing aerial and subsidiary roots. The owners had their new home built behind these two banyan trees.

100_0362.jpg

View showing the tops of some royal palms:

100_0364.jpg

Mad about palms

What do you suppose is the northern most area for this palm, 10a, 9b, 9a? Or by temperature. I have the land to try one in 9a, but have always thought it was a no-go here.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Theres one banyan tree in a private garden here in Tijuana like the one in the first foto of Orlando. Probably 7-8 meters high only less roots. When I see this in the first time im very surprise. I try to take a foto in the next time i go to this area.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Here is a few leaves I collected this morning from some Ficus trees we have growing outside at Leu Gardens. These are the more common, larger leaf banyan types seen in Florida.

From left to right;

F. altissima 'Variegata' (I have also seen this sold as F. benghalensis 'Bengal Tiger')

F. virens (formerly F. lacor) on top, F. altissima on bottom

F. benghalensis

F. aurea on top, F. macrophylla on bottom

F. lutea (formerly F. vogelii)

100_0785.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

What do you suppose is the northern most area for this palm, 10a, 9b, 9a? Or by temperature. I have the land to try one in 9a, but have always thought it was a no-go here.

Almost all my ficus species start to show leaf damage once below 30 degrees with frost. Then every degree below that wood damage starts, starting with the very tips and then working it's way back to bigger and bigger wood.

While it is probably possible to have a Ficus bengalensis in zone 9a, it certainly wouldn't ever be larger than a shrub, as it would keep getting frozen back.

This local Ficus microcarpa has been freeze damaged in the past, surviving the December 1989 freeze. The books say they are slightly more cold hardier than F. benghalensis.

I have a small F. microcarpa and it's gotten some leaf damage from frosts in 2005 and 2006, but none since that time.

2439563560042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

Almost all my ficus species start to show leaf damage once below 30 degrees with frost. Then every degree below that wood damage starts, starting with the very tips and then working it's way back to bigger and bigger wood.

While it is probably possible to have a Ficus bengalensis in zone 9a, it certainly wouldn't ever be larger than a shrub, as it would keep getting frozen back.

This local Ficus microcarpa has been freeze damaged in the past, surviving the December 1989 freeze. The books say they are slightly more cold hardier than F. benghalensis.

I have a small F. microcarpa and it's gotten some leaf damage from frosts in 2005 and 2006, but none since that time.

2439563560042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Stanley A. Kaufman

To Eric in Orlando: My last attempt to reply was obviously a disaster! :drool: I wrote a text and it disappear except for my name. Let me try again. The leaf you have in the center by the $1 bill looks to me like the sp. F. alt. (The prominent lateral veins on each side of the base of the midrib are the same as on F. a. var.). The banyan tree I have been growing here in Ohio (in a pot of course) has fuzzy young leaves and stems and is never glossy even when the leaves mature and lose some of the hairs. The only books that seem to identify this one correctly are European houseplant books. Even Riffle's photo looks glossy to me. The leaves are also obovate -broader at the far end - on the true F. beng.

Mine did grow back from the roots after drying and freezing on the sunporch one winter. It is now back to 8' h. with several stems.

Even in Key West, I could not find a "real" one: even the Banyan Tree B&B is under an F. alt. I do grow the variegated form of that one too but not as well. My F. beng. was brought up from PRico in the 1950s.

Apparently it is correct to use "banyan" as a generic term for any ficus with prop roots, which doesn't help matter any. Does someone have a photo of a "fuzzy " one?

Stanley A. Kaufman

Eric, thanks for the display. I took a few pictures of the Ficus at Leu on Tuesday myself. When I bought my tree from the UCF arboretum, I was hoping it would turn out being the same as your F. benghalensis. But after looking closer at the trees in Leu Gardens, mine looks like it's a better match to the F. lutea.

Here's the F. benghalensis at Leu Gardens. Comparing this leaf with F. altissima, it is hard to tell the difference.

IMG_0906.JPG

Here's the F. lutea at Leu Gardens.

IMG_0910.JPG

and here's my Ficus, which to me looks a lot like the F. lutea, including the petioles with brown hairs or scales.

IMG_0920.JPG

Stanley, it would be great if you could post a picture of your F. benghalensis.

Central Florida, 28.42N 81.18W, Elev. 14m

Zone 9b

Summers 33/22C, Winters 22/10C Record Low -7C

Rain 6cm - 17cm/month with wet summers 122cm annually

Hey Ron, I have a ficus that seems to be f. lutea also. I found a ficus growing on a vacant lot and took a cutting. The ficus was eventually razed for a house. After looking at many ficus online, I assumed it was f. lutea. It started growing figs recently and they are yellow and it has the brown fuzzy leaf petioles. It has put out aerial roots profusely and has the look of a miniature banyan already.

ficus001.jpg

ficus002.jpg

ficus007.jpg

ficus006.jpg

Here's a banyan (assumed F. beng) in a backyard behind a house across the street from me (does it look like a banyan to the experts??). The pictures were taken from my back yard. The gentleman across the street from me (in the house pictured) said the people planted it as a tiny thing 15-18 years ago, and HE has already paid to have it cut back significantly once. I didn't even realize what it was until a couple of weeks ago, and I've lived here for 3 months.

Sorry I don't have a root/trunk picture. The trunk takes up about an 8'x8' or 10'x10' area. Nothing extraordinary yet.

DSCF4776.jpg

DSCF4777.jpg

DSCF4778.jpg

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

In the historic part of Sebring, Florida, are many Ficus benghalensis trees. The climate of historic Sebring is moderated by Lake Jackson, a 3,300 acre lake. Historic Sebring lies mostly on the east to southeast side of Lake Jackson.

The banyan tree below is about 150 feet from the lake.

1378099515042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Sebringbanyan.jpg

Mad about palms

Here are the 2 biggest F. benghalensis in FL

Edison Estate, Ft. Myers

1e4a.jpg

5a79.jpg

Cypress Gardens

f6dc.jpg

afe1.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

There are quite a few big specimens at the Ringling Estate in Sarasota;

728e.jpg

20e9.jpg

63b4.jpg

and a victim....

9b8c.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Banyan's are the South Florida equivalent of the North Florida Live Oak.Unfortunately,limited land and their propensity to grow beyond bounds of normalacy in utter defiance of concepts of ownership and public road maintenance have put them on Boo-Boo lists.Forget the Boo-Boo List.This is truly one of the most majestic trees on Earth.

In Florida,the furthest Northern Banyan was grown just South of St.Augustine at a State park near a spring at Fort Washington. I believe it was killed in the 1989 freeze but have not been able to confirm.To see them growing again in Orlando is great.

John D.McArthur and other well to do folks have spent muy green to move entire trees on barges in the Intracoastal around here because they could not accept killing them for expansion.If you have ever sat under one of these trees,even on a hot day in South Florida,there is something deep and tranquil that is hard to describe.The Buddha picked the right place.Build your houses and roads around and among these Banyan trees!

What you look for is what is looking

The Buddha picked the right place.

Yes....it is reported he reached enlightenment under a Ficus religiosa, "Bodhi Tree", or the "Sacred Fig".

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I saw my first banyan trees in the Caribbean back in the late '60s while serving in the navy and I was impressed by them.

My last duty station was at Key West, Florida, June '70- July '71. There was an old banyan tree (planted in the late 1800s) on the naval station, close to officer's row. In town there was a banyan tree in the front yard of a residence. I took this old photo (film camera) of that tree:

KeyWestbanyan.jpg

Also, towards the end of January of 1971 a cold front came through and Key West bottomed out at 47 degrees. It was an advective event and it felt colder. I happened to be camping out on Bahia Honda Key that night under coconut palms and could hardly believe how cold it felt. I just couldn't reconcile swaying coconut palms and 47 degree temperatures.

Mad about palms

Walt, 47F is very cold when 70F is a little chilly!

I know the conchs down there didn't like the cold. Fortunately, that one day was the worst it ever got while I was there (13 months). By and large the climate was great.

Mad about palms

• 3 weeks later...

I now have lots of photos on a CD of what I thought was F. Benghalensis, but cannot upload them. How do you all get your beautiful photos on this thread. Any intructions anywhere? The single photo option at end of thread says my file is to big for even one photo (650k). I'm dying to find out what my banyan really is. The leaf is papery and thin. they are up to 1 foot long and taper toward the petiole. the new stems and bud are brown hairy as you could see in the photos.

Frustrated.

Stanley A. Kaufman

I saw my first banyan trees in the Caribbean back in the late '60s while serving in the navy and I was impressed by them.

My last duty station was at Key West, Florida, June '70- July '71. There was an old banyan tree (planted in the late 1800s) on the naval station, close to officer's row. In town there was a banyan tree in the front yard of a residence. I took this old photo (film camera) of that tree:

KeyWestbanyan.jpg

Also, towards the end of January of 1971 a cold front came through and Key West bottomed out at 47 degrees. It was an advective event and it felt colder. I happened to be camping out on Bahia Honda Key that night under coconut palms and could hardly believe how cold it felt. I just couldn't reconcile swaying coconut palms and 47 degree temperatures.

I think this photo is the tree at the Banyan Tree bed and breakfast. I was certain it was Ficus altissima when I saw it. Are the leaves really so similar you can't tell them apart?

Stan

Stanley A. Kaufman

These are the leaves of my Ficus altissima 'variagata'.

101_0234.jpg

My Ficus altissima 'variagata' in my front yard (8 years, 9 months old).

100_0254.jpg

Mad about palms

Just join a free photo/video hosting website, like Photobucket, Webshots, etc. Then upload your photos to your account and post them here (like my Ficus altissima photo below, using Photobucket):

100_0254.jpg

I now have lots of photos on a CD of what I thought was F. Benghalensis, but cannot upload them. How do you all get your beautiful photos on this thread. Any intructions anywhere? The single photo option at end of thread says my file is to big for even one photo (650k). I'm dying to find out what my banyan really is. The leaf is papery and thin. they are up to 1 foot long and taper toward the petiole. the new stems and bud are brown hairy as you could see in the photos.

Frustrated.

Mad about palms

Stan--

Sounds like your tree could be F. mysorensis. It is a large-leafed species with thin-textured foliage. It can have brown tomentum on buds and newest foliage. It is occasionally seen in SoCal, less common in Florida.

The green form of F. altissima is quite rare in the trade. And F. lutea is also quite rare in both Florida and California.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Just join a free photo/video hosting website, like Photobucket, Webshots, etc. Then upload your photos to your account and post them here (like my Ficus altissima photo below, using Photobucket):

100_0254.jpg

Frustrated.

Thanks Walt, I'll try photobucket. I just figured out how to post on the banana forum and that's all internal. So much to learn. Stan

Stanley A. Kaufman

Stan--

Sounds like your tree could be F. mysorensis. It is a large-leafed species with thin-textured foliage. It can have brown tomentum on buds and newest foliage. It is occasionally seen in SoCal, less common in Florida.

The green form of F. altissima is quite rare in the trade. And F. lutea is also quite rare in both Florida and California.

Thanks, Fastfeat, I'll check that one out. I have a copy of Condit's 1964 book on Ficus but couldn't spot anything there that matches the leaf

Stan

Stanley A. Kaufman

Brian,

There is a nice sized one on the NW corner of El Prado and Dale Mabry.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 9 years later...

There is a very nice one at what used to be Cypress Gardens (new Legoland) in Winter Haven, FL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htGJ7Jqr_Bk

It is even mentioned on the Legoland blog: http://www.llfblog.com/2016/01/01/cypress-gardens-celebrates-80-years-of-natures-splendor/

I considered adding one, but I don't have enough space.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F