IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Asociación Costarricense de Palmeras

Jeff in St Pete

We are currently recruiting members for a new Palm Group forming in Costa Rica - Asociación Costarricense de Palmeras.

The first meeting is tentatively planned for the end of October/beginning of November.

If anyone is interested, please send me a PM.

Come join our new group, and discover the palms that Costa Rica has to offer!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

• 3 months later...

Our first meeting has been scheduled for Saturday January 10, 2009 at my place.

If anyone is interested in joining us, please contact me via PM. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Jeff,

I'm interested to hear how things will turn out. And presumably you have contacted all those you know there directly? One thing you'll find out (if you don't already know it) is that you can't just send out an invitation, or notice about a meeting, and then sit back and hope for the best. It's important, especially in the beginning, to keep in touch frequently with people! In other words, hunt them down and pressure them for a commitment! :lol:

Good luck! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

jla, have YOU changed your Palmtalk name too? Whats up wit dat? :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks for the advice Bo! No invitations were sent, I contacted each person by phone and personally invited them. In fact I called and followed up with a couple more people today. There are about 10 people coming so far and I need to follow up with a few more this week. I was hoping that at least 10 people would attend the first meeting and it looks like we may have more than that! It's not easy getting people together from all over the country. Many people will have to drive 3 hours or more (over that same twisty mountain road we traveled on the way to Carara during the Biennial) so I can understand why some can not make it. I will post some photos of the meeting afterward.

Hi Bill, I don't know why I changed it, I guess I was sick of looking at the name "Jeff in Costa Rica". That name seemed too long so I thought my initials would be better.

Jeff- Having been in on the "ground floor" of more than a couple various organizations, you are in for an exciting time. Capitalize as much as you can on the early enthusiasm, for as Bo alludes, you will need to keep on people till they are fully smitten.

Enjoy!

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Jeff- Having been in on the "ground floor" of more than a couple various organizations, you are in for an exciting time. Capitalize as much as you can on the early enthusiasm, for as Bo alludes, you will need to keep on people till they are fully smitten.

Enjoy!

Bill

Thanks Bill! It's interesting that out of the 10 people who are coming so far, 5 of them are PalmTalk members! I never realized just how many of us there are that are posting from Costa Rica.

Jeff,

Good luck with getting it off the ground. I hope others will come out and help with the support. I often wondered over the years, why CR never had a chapter there, with such a large and diverse amount of species there. Keep us posted as things progress.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff :)

There is a guy coming to the meeting that has been living in Costa Rica for many years. He tried to get a chapter of the Palm Society started here in Costa Rica about 12-15 years ago but he felt there wasn't enough interest so he gave up on it. Of course that was before the internet was avaliable here and it was harder to get in touch with people. Today I found out that 2 more people are coming. Forum member Palm freak stopped by the house in Escazú today to meet me. He is coming to the meeting and bringing a friend who he said is "crazy about palms". I'm still hoping to get a few more people to come, but it looks like we are going to have a good turnout for our first meeting. I hope that some day this becomes a large organization.

We had our first meeting today with a much better turnout than I expected. Counting myself, we had exactly 20 people attend the first Costa Rican Palm Association meeting! (the exact name of our organization is still being decided upon).

I was busy hosting so I didn't take many photos, but I did manage to take a few after the meeting was over while everyone was socializing and choosing a palm to take home.

P1100005.jpg

P1100004.jpg

6 members had to leave right after the meeting was over because of other obligations today so we didn't get all 20 of us in a photo, but here's the majority of us.

P1100008.jpg

Forum Member Luis Diego (fossilNypa) on the far left and his twin brother Adolfo (geonomaDude) with his back to the camera.

P1100011.jpg

Having a few cold ones after the meeting.

Forum member Jose Maria (in the grey hat)

P1100014.jpg

Forum Member Al (Palm freak) and his lovely wife Patricia

P1100012.jpg

Forum Member Marco Herrero (MAHE)

P1100013.jpg

Some of the palms to choose from

P1100002.jpg

Jeff,

Excellent turnout for your first meeting! That's great. And also nice to see that there's a good mix, agewise. Important to get some younger members as well! Keep us posted on your progress.

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Thanks for your encouragement Bo. I was pleasantly surprised at the turnout. I will keep you all posted.

Congrats Jeff! A full fledged PRA!!! One that is on its way to chapterhood!

Any reports on the earthquakes effects on the people at the meeting?

Thanks Bill, and no I didn't hear much talk about the earthquake and I am assuming that no one that attended had any damage. The worst of it was centered up in the mountains around Poas and thankfully none of our palm members live in that area.

I asked most of the participants to bring a palm for an auction at the end of the meeting. I guess I was jumping the gun a little because I realized we don't have a bank account in our name yet. First we need to form an Asociación in Costa Rica, then we can open an account. Since I had already told most people to bring a palm, we had plenty to go around and I asked everyone to pick a different one and bring a new palm home.

I chose this one. I have been wanting a Licuala elegans for many years and when Marco showed up with this, I knew I had to have it!

P1130082.jpg

I had no idea there are so many Palmtalkers in CR! Jeff, It looks like you have a fairly diverse crowd, I think that is one of the coolest things about our affection for palms and the community that surrounds it. We all come from so many different places and stations in life yet we all find the common ground via palms. Great turn out! You were only hopig for half that! Hats off to you for taking the initiative to get the ball rolling... AS everyone has said, push hard to get the ball up the hill, hopefully at a point you will find the top and begin to watch that hard work pay off.

Congrats on the new palm score! One of my favorites... :)

William, I couldn't agree more. Palms do bring us together from all walks of life. Just in our little group we have a botanist, an engineer, an attorney, a farmer, a couple students, a horticulturist, a restaurant owner... the list goes on and on. Yet when we all get together, we are palmophiles!

I was thrilled with my new Licuala elegans. There was quite a selection to choose from too - Drymophloeus oliviformis, Lytocaryum weddellianum, Rhopaloblaste augusta, Verschaffeltia splendida, Caryota urens, Livistona chinensis, Satakentia liukiuensis, Phytelaphas seemannii (seeds), Dypsis onahilensis, and a few others I can't think of right now.

I've been getting phone calls from more and more people who are hearing about us and want to join. I think we have the potential for a large palm association here!