IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Genera Palmarum 2

bgl

Just to let everybody know what's coming, here's the information about Genera Palmarum 2. This information will be in the next issue of PALMS, due out next month (September):

"Genera Palmarum Edition 2

The IPS, LH Bailey Hortorium and Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, are proud to announce the new edition of the ground-breaking Genera Palmarum. The second edition is a complete overhaul of the 1987 edition and includes chapters on the structure of palms, pollen, cytology, chemistry, fossils, evolution, phylogeny, natural history and biogeography and the classification based on the latest molecular evidence. The new classification has substantial changes in the composition of subfamilies, tribes, subtribes and genera. An illustrated glossary and geographical listings are included. This is the definitive reference book on palms! 744 pp. 11.26 x 7.76 x 1.57 inches. Line drawings. Color photos throughout. Maps. Hardback. 6.3 lbs. $150.00.

Reserve your copy now! Special members-only discount (one-third off the cover price!): $99.00. Add $20 shipping and handling within the USA (total $119); add $37 for shipping to Mexico or Canada (total $136); add $44 for shipping to all other destinations (total $143). Non-members can take advantage of this special price now by including the $45 membership fee for 2009 with their order. Orders are expected to ship in December. Don’t wait! Limited quantity!"

IMPORTANT INFORMATION - PLEASE READ:

1) The IPS is not ready to accept orders until next month. For one thing, a link needs to be added to the IPS website for on-line payments. This has not been done yet. So, please do NOT attempt to place your order quite yet! Another announcement WILL be made when we're ready.

2) GP2 is still at the printshop in Italy, and is awaiting surface shipping to the USA. This could take a while. We hope to be able to ship out GP2 before the end of the year.

3) The special price mentioned above (for IPS members only) will be valid through 31 March 2009. After that date, the special discount will no longer be available.

Feel free to post questions or comments.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

How about, just a big THANK-YOU !

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I was fixing to pull out my Visa card.....can't wait till Christmas. Thanks!!

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Is there any indication as to when these will be shipped in December?

I was planning to get 2 books and have them shipped to New York to my sister who will be visiting us here in the Philippines for Christmas. I was hoping to save a lot on shipping--She leaves the States on Dec. 16.

I'd love to get a hold of my copy for Christmas. :drool:

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Gene,

At this point, we just don't know. Once the shipment is on its way, we should have a better idea of a likely delivery schedule to individuals. As soon as I have more specific details, they will be posted here.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Kew Publishing is already offering the book (albeit it's not quite yet in stock). Kewbooks.com

746-1.jpg

Congratulations to all on completion of this project!

And that's a beautiful cover. (Interesting capitalization. Someone put considerable work into the typography).

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Thank you for the announcement. I am really glad it is finally ready.

What about European members? Can we get the discount from a local source?

Carlo

Carlo,

I'm afraid not. There are only two choices:

1 - order from the IPS, which means a total cost of $143 if you live in Europe (incl. shipping)

2 - order from Kew, and pay their regular price (approx. $150 - but in Pound Sterling, so it could vary somewhat depending on exchange rates), PLUS shipping.

Bo-Göran

I see. At Kew, shipping costs for UK is 14$ (total 164$), for W Europe is 26$ (total 176$). From the IPS to Europe is 143$

But if I buy it from Kew I will get it in one week or less, not in months :hmm: And produce less CO2 while the books don't go back and forth through the ocean.

Can't the IPS find a way to get this solved? Estimate how many European members would buy GP2 ... maybe it is worth it.

Carlo

Carlo,

I'm sorry, but the decision has been made and the bulk shipment of GP2 in Italy is ready to be sent to the USA. At this point, trying to break it up and set up a seccond IPS distribution center would simply be too complicated, and probably also involve extra expense that would have to be recovered, one way or another. I'd like to add that I think your idea is a good one - the problem is that someone should have looked into this about six months ago, or so. One of the main challenges in any all-volunteer organization is always that there's only so much that a small number of people can accomplish. There are always good ideas about doing additional things, or doing things in a better way, but unless someone steps forward and volunteers to implement those ideas, the simple fact is that they will never get done.

Bo-Göran

As luck would have it, the Pound Sterling has fallen very quickly against the Euro and the US Dollar. Those in the Euro zone who don't need a copy immediately may do well to wait a few months as the fall continues, if the London pundits are correct.

It a beautiful book, though a bit heavy to take to bed, though that hasnt stopped me. Its good to finally have an update to GP1. There is so much info to take in and it is nice to have the photos interspersed with the info and not at the front like edition 1.

I dont want to be picky, but the distribution of Rhopalostylis goes a lot further down NZ than in the illustration in the book.

Other than that, very happy. Should keep me busy for weeks...

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Carlo,

I'm sorry, but the decision has been made and the bulk shipment of GP2 in Italy is ready to be sent to the USA. At this point, trying to break it up and set up a seccond IPS distribution center would simply be too complicated, and probably also involve extra expense that would have to be recovered, one way or another. I'd like to add that I think your idea is a good one - the problem is that someone should have looked into this about six months ago, or so. One of the main challenges in any all-volunteer organization is always that there's only so much that a small number of people can accomplish. There are always good ideas about doing additional things, or doing things in a better way, but unless someone steps forward and volunteers to implement those ideas, the simple fact is that they will never get done.

Bo-Göran

The discount is most likely due to bulk shipping plus a little bit knocked off by the publisher, so there is no way any of us could buy GP2 locally and benefit from the discount that the IPS is offering. Publishers are not concerned that members of societies to which a book is most relevant, are deserving of a price reduction. I don´t think this is a situation that could have been changed or bettered, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Question palm scholars....

Is their much difference between the 1st and now the second edition? Would you recommend getting both? i just saw the 1st out there and wondered ...wait for the 2nd ed. or get both? Please advise.... :unsure:

Was just informed that the shipment of GP2 is now on its way from Italy. It's expected to arrive at Allen Press in Kansas around mid October, so that sounds promising. And nobody is going to miss out - there are definitely plenty of books for everyone (even if you decide to buy two each!) :)

More details as soon as I have them.

EDIT: Hulagal, just saw your post. There is a VAST difference between GP1 and GP2. LOTS of name changes and lots of palms have been discovered in these 20 years. If you're interested in the history of name changes, and getting as many palm books as possible, then buy GP1. If not, just stick with the new GP2.

EDIT: Hulagal, just saw your post. There is a VAST difference between GP1 and GP2. LOTS of name changes and lots of palms have been discovered in these 20 years. If you're interested in the history of name changes, and getting as many palm books as possible, then buy GP1. If not, just stick with the new GP2.

Bo,

Knowing that I cannot buy it now, where can I reserve a copy?

Thanks.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Just be patient! A few more weeks and we'll be ready to accept orders. And like I said - plenty of books for everyone! :)

Will other palm societies around the world get the discount for their members?

People have seen my copy and asked if our society will be getting some to sell, and I would like to know if I can order a few at the discounted price.

Cheers,

Michael McCorquindale

Vice President and Webmaster

PACSONZ

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Just be patient! A few more weeks and we'll be ready to accept orders. And like I said - plenty of books for everyone! :)

I have heard from sources that I consider reliable that patience is a virtue; of which I have none. Therefore I will sit and stew, raising my blood pressure and blame the Clinton administration for this and all of my other woes......

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

John,

As much as I would like to help it seems we would be getting slightly off topic with these other issues, so I'm just going to keep my focus on GP2...! :)

Michael,

As an IPS member you will be able to order as many copies as you want at the introductiory "for IPS members only" price. (In other words, there will not be any other special discount for other Palm Societies around the world).

Bo-Göran

<---running to get GP1 because I am a hoarder...of knowledge. thanks Bo.

I would certainly buy GP#1. I bought mine several years ago right after it became available. I then had it signed by Natalie W. Uhl and John Dransfield on November 13th, 1992 at the Miami Biennial. So.....how do you think I feel about owning mine? It's been well used and always will be. I already consider it a collector's book.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I would certainly buy GP#1. I bought mine several years ago right after it became available. I then had it signed by Natalie W. Uhl and John Dransfield on November 13th, 1992 at the Miami Biennial. So.....how do you think I feel about owning mine? It's been well used and always will be. I already consider it a collector's book.

Jeff

thanks for the input Jeff. You & Bo are like Cliff notes in here. Very 'kewel' that you have author's signature. I look forward to both my editions being well worn one day. :)

hulagalnz9 Posted Sep 16 2008, 12:55 PM

...<---running to get GP1 because I am a hoarder...of knowledge. thanks Bo.

GP1 was one of my first palm books ever and I lugged it to every palm related event I attended as a kid. It is a part of palm taxonomic history and everyone should have a copy, just for the sake that they are limited copies in existence. Having a copy that is autographed, is a whole different story... Mine!

- :lol:

2008-09-18_18-32-55.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

:drool: NO fair Ryan!! stamped name and both signatures?...your copy is very nice....you lucky duck. You know it's an addiction when even the 'books' about palms make you giddy. hehe. thanks for sharing :-)

Is it an addiction. When you scour through online auctions, flea markets and book sections at plant sales looking for palm books you know the sickness has set in. When you spot that first edition hidden under a pile it hits you like a bolt of lightning. I did the stamp myself when I was 12, soon after getting the book.

Ryan

South Florida

Just to tantalize you book collectors further: The truly special copies of GP1 were the 100 copies of the "deluxe edition" with leather covers, gold edging, and the autographs of John, Natalie, and the botanical illustrator, Marion Ruff Sheehan, (now deceased). Mrs Sheehan was famous for her orchid illustrations.

San Francisco, California

Just to tantalize you book collectors further: The truly special copies of GP1 were the 100 copies of the "deluxe edition" with leather covers, gold edging, and the autographs of John, Natalie, and the botanical illustrator, Marion Ruff Sheehan, (now deceased). Mrs Sheehan was famous for her orchid illustrations.

wow....and you probably have that copy. :hmm:

looking on rare books right now and booking loan appointment to afford it.

thanks for the info darold....and shh... dont tell ryan. :winkie:

Genera Palmarum was very fortunate to have Mrs. Sheehan as illustrator. She and her husband (a University of Florida ornamental horticulturist and department chair) were a delightful couple.

My copy of GP2 arrived today from Kew and it is beautiful! Kudos to John Dransfield, Natalie Uhl and the rest for a huge, comprehensive and beautiful achievement.

The only unfortunate thing I did notice as I was thumbing through it was that the distribution map for Rhapidophyllum is quite incorrect. It illustrates a far western boundary east of Apalachicola, Florida, whereas it has been firmly documented westward well into Mississippi, hundreds of miles to the west. (see Principes, v34/2, April, 1990: Demography of the Needle Palm, Rhapidophyllum hystrix, in Mississippi and Alabama, by Keith E. Clancy and Michael J. Sullivan). I'm sure this was just an error on the part of an illustrator or graphic artist that made it past the editors, but it's a shame to see such a misprint in an official volume representing so much excellent and hard work. Hopefully it can be addressed in a future press-run.

The book is wonderfully produced, with many gorgeous photos and line-drawings, and goodies galore!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I received my copy of PALMS yesterday, and in it it announced that orders for GPII can be placed at www.palms.org.

I attempted to place an order, but there was no place that the order could be entered.

What's going on here folks?

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

We're working on it right now. Maybe the website will have the information later today. I'm checking into it as we speak.... :)