IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

some palms at U of AZ campus, Tucson

Eric in Orlando

Some interesting palms I saw at the University of Arizona campus in Tucson;

Jubaea chilensis

102_0466.jpg

Brahea armata

102_0412.jpg

102_0444.jpg

102_0414.jpg

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Label said Sabal minor but maybe S. bermudana ?

102_0495.jpg

102_0496.jpg

Sabal mexicana

102_0450.jpg

• Like 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric, agree with you that sabal is mislabeled and should be bermudana. There are a lot of interesting plants at the UofA! That uresana produces tons of seed each yr and the times I've collected them I got a good 90% germination rate. I really love the couple of rows of pure filifera's near the center of the campus. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Here are a couple of filifera shots from the UofA campus taken in 2006... And a bonus Phoenix and B. Armata shot for our friend Kris! Jv

post-362-1219279322_thumb.jpg

post-362-1219279344_thumb.jpg

post-362-1219279370_thumb.jpg

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Hi, Eric:

There's always a question of who has the REAL spp. My S. bermudana have longer inflorescences, reaching to the leaf tips or slightly further and longer petioles; the question is: who has the ringer? It would help to have something closer to the palm for scale.

Best Wishes,

merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

I guess I'll have to eat my words. I stated in another thread that it was to hot in Tucson for Jubaeas. I still think they would be happier in the mountains surrounding Tucson where it's cooler. Beautiful photos Eric.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Label said Sabal minor but maybe S. bermudana ?

102_0495.jpg

102_0496.jpg

Sabal mexicana

102_0450.jpg

My Bermudana looks just like that one, just like it. Merills gorgeous bermudana exhibits more wilting frond tips and appears to have longer petioles. Mine, is just like that one with virtually no wilting tips. That one also looks slightly undernourished, less blue in color than mine. Palms in public places seem to get less care here. The U of A jubaea in the pic probably wont make it ultimately. Their horticultural department has a palm growing advisory on their website that refers to jubaea as a high risk, they just dont like the AZ sun.

Edited by sonoranfans

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

before moving to AZ, my sister lived in El Paso, TX. While visiting one time, I found a healthy Jubaea growing there on the east side, had about 6-7ft of trunk. I have since heard there are several in El Paso.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I'm probably mistaken but I think that uresana was one that started out very silver and "turned" green as it aged. I have grown sdlgs from that palm, they do start out extremely glaucous, no way to mix them up with any other in the genus, truly distinctive. But once they go palmate they turn green until they get older. I think that is what the nice specimen at Leu did, Eric ??? Also the very large specimen residing locally at the Smith's in Maitland, I believe Gordon told me it was very silver until around 20 yrs age or so, then began to change. This probably an inherited trait, not something forced by climate. Has anyone seen very large silver uresana that retained their color? And where?

PS - luv the armata, have one in 15g pot, will plant someday. Holds a half dozen good leaves at a time. Does anyone know if that one is still going in Daytona Bch.? It was planted in the lot of a fast food joint (Checkers?), somehow it was mixed up in a delivery w/ about 10 Washingtonia but they installed it anyway. This at least a decade ago if not longer.

- dave

lotta good info and pictures here! Wish FSU would start panting more 'exotic' palms besides Butia & Florida natives.

those armatas look like they really enjoy that climate!

Dick, Did you get that PM I sent you?

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/