IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Whats your dream landscape?

Borgy230

Not sure this is the right section to put this in, but anyway, If you could have you dream landscape, what would it be? lets keep it realistic, say you have 2-5 acres in the area you already live.

For Me, I live in South Florida, I would have my front yard moderatly landscaped, almost like it is now, maybe add 2 or three large canopy trees though; There are already several large royals, some very nice phoenix canariensis, robellini, sylvestris, a few screw pins, some ptychospermas, a pinaga and some crotons and bromeliads, However once you step into the back yard it would be a complete rainforest almost. You would see an average size pool, nothing too crazy, a few alexanders and coconuts planted so they bend over the pool, yet still let enough sun in, there would be probably 3 large poinciana trees, a few rainbow eucalyptus, underneath would be a collection of nearly every licuala there is, several mapu planted together in a nice clump, variegated monstera growing almost everywhere, Pinanga gracilis would be surrounding the spa, orchids growing all over the waterfall. there would be a small paver path leading almost to the back of the yard, it would get more and more lush as you go deeper in, less light, yet still try to put some eye popping color plants in there. you would notice a small stream coming from the side and winding along the path, going under it at some point, then emptying into a sizable pond, lets say 20x10 or so, with 2 small waterfalls, next to this would be a rather large tiki hut, circular in shape, reed roof though, not palm leaf, and due to the lushness of my personal rainforest and the winding of the path, this would not be seen from the house or heard, not even at night with lights on. Nice size bar, flat screen TV, few fans, a nice stunning clump of Ae Ae banana right behind where the TV is so its in your view the whole time, also would have to be a hammock and a decent stereo back there. Bromeliads and tilandsias would be growning on almost every tree, ferns would be covering the ground everywhere. Also behind the bar would be 3 large clumps of lipstick palm. The yard would also always be perfectly maintained, you would never see a brown or dead leaf anywhere!

I know I can think of a million more things to say, but I think that gives a pretty good idea.

I would love to hear what all of you would do for your own dream landscape.

Cant let a good thread go to waste, although I'm sure someone would have rescued it! :rolleyes:

I wish I had more land (and money) to work with in developing my ideal landscape. A tad warmer in the winter would also be nice (as I'm sure many others feel!).

At the front of my yard, I would have two triangle garden beds at each front corner, planted in a lush look, lots of archontophoenix, sygarus, howea, hedyscepe. Anything pinnate with the slightest bit of cold tolerance. I would have a path leading to the front door, with two parallel rows alongside of parajubaea . I could also include alot more, but it would more than fill this page, and take far too long to write.

I've always wondered, you guys in tropical areas, do you get the same thrill seeing your palms growing, and your yard looking full, even though perhaps many palms surround you? I hope this makes sense! Part of the thrill for me in growing palms, is that they are still relativity uncommon in my area, I don't quite know why. Its always great having what others don't, BUT if every property was filled with palms, would this 'obsession' be dulled at all, or perhaps intensified? Just a thought, what do you think. :hmm:

Cheers,

Nathan

Nelson, NEW ZEALAND

Sheltered micro-climate

Min -2C, Max 34C

Latitude 41 Degrees South

Warm temperate climate, with over 2500 hours of sunshine per year.

Nathan,

I don't know about other people. But, I think it is always rewarding seeing trees and plants grow where ever you are. Of course how fast that happens and what you can grow changes a lot as you get closer and closer to the equator. I think one big item as to how the landscape should be designed is if there is a view or not. As well as the slope of the land. I am starting to work on my vision of a landscape dream on my 2 acre lot here on the equator. Preserving and enhancing my view of the river is one of my main objectives. When I make a pool I want it to have an open view of the river as well. About a quater of the lot already is rainforest in a state of succession to primary forest. My goal is to plant certain high value trees both for flower, such as tabebuias, and for fruit. And, enchance the understory with mostly native understory palms and plants. I could go on and on about what to do. But, I guess the key is to create a great feeling in the space and place you have to work with. I don't want anything that looks different than where I live. It already is as tropical as you can get. I just want to enhance the landscape and enjoy the place.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

This is an interesting topic, and definitely fits right in here! :)

I happen to believe that creating your dream landscape in a tropical location is even more exciting. For two reasons: there are many more choices (palms and other plants) AND with a much more vigorous growth rate, it's possible to create a mature look in a relatively short time span (10 years or less). And even though there are certainly many palms that are grown in tropical areas, the ones you see here on the Big Island tend to be more or less the same 10-12 speecies. So, any palm enthusiast who decides to develop his or her "dream garden" will automatically end up with something that's very unique. And that in turn is likely to inspire others to also plant palms, and (importantly) more of a variety. Maybe not all the unusual Dypsis, but by just broadening the spectrum somewhat and introducing a few more spectacular palms into the "everyday landscape" I'd like to think that as more and more people are being exposed to palms, the trend will continue and this is an exciting development.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I'm somewhat restricted growing my dream landscape in the UK, but as you said we had to keep things to our current location, my 2-5 acres, as specified, would contain a much larger (than my existing) greenhouse, where I would continue to attempt to grow tropical species of smaller palms. I would probably do my best to create a jungle with hardy palms and bananas in any area not covered by greenhouse, but the jungle would probably take longer to create than I am prepared to stay in this climate.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

A 'dream landscape' of 2-5 acres in San Diego is just that -- a dream. I have your typical urban/suburban lot measuring 60 ft. x 120 ft. Oh yeah, there's a 3 bedroom house and 2-car garage on it. What's left over is my 'dream garden'.

Actually, this is a wonderful exercise in selection. With a limited area, it's like a jewel box; only the finest palms will make the cut (in theory). The challenge is to create a slice of paradise that transports the visitor outside the realm of the ordinary SoCal garden experience. Since I'm only a few years into my palm fascination, it's all in the future; the many palms in my garden are small and some are barely noticeable. But I have the pattern of the garden in my head, and a vision of how it should develop. In a few more years, it will be a serene retreat.

Going forward, the dream garden moves to the Big Island. My husband and I are discussing and researching buying property in Leilani Estates or nearby, all for the pleasure of growing palms. Wish me luck.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Sometimes there are other considerations besides climate on where we live and what we consider our "dream garden." After living in Miami for 7 years, my new job brought me to San Francisco where I lived for 5 years. I was a renter in San Francisco, but my landloard allowed me to transform his small garden into a palm garden, and even in chilly San Francisco the garden was overgrown in 5 years. Of course there were many other complimentry plants that can be grown in the City, such as geraniums, fucias, suculents, etc. In a small space one learns to use every available spot for plants, but finally that has its limits too.

After living in Miami for so many years, I was sick and tired of freezing my ass off in San Francisco, and I wanted more space and heat, and I found it in Walnut Creek. I knew it would be a challange because not only are the summers sizzling hot, but the winters can be quite chilly. I did a lot research on what kinds of palms would grow in a 9B, sometimes a zone 8 climate, and was surprised at the number of palms that would grow here. I tried not to be a zone pusher, as I soon found the Howeas and Rophies, etc. that I brought from San Francisco soon bit the dust in the cold winters, but I could grow Braheas, Butias, Sabals, Rhapidophyllum, Rhapis, and many other palms that wouldn't grow in San Francisco.

I love living in the San Francisco Bay area, and I've never regreted moving to Walnut Creek, and the cold winters always give me something to look forward to......like some summer heat! Most winters I get through with no cold damage at all. I live on a little more than an acre, and sometimes I've whished for more space, but as I grow older, an acre seems more than enough to take care of. Even in my limited climate zone, I've learned you can't have them all, so I'm happy with what I have.

Dick

Richard Douglas

This is an interesting topic and it would be great to get more imput on it. Site is a key element of any landscape design. What can be done to enhance the natural environment one has to work with.

Bo, I will try and follow your advice. I really want to put some great exotics into the native Amazonian landscape. But, if I just stick with Amazonian palms, trees, and plants I will have plenty of material to work with. One of my goals is also to create a landscape that is wildlife friendly.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Well, I use to think the more land the better but now realistically at my age a bit under a half acre is fine. Maybe for me, rather than the ultimate goal, it's more the process. I just enjoy going out and growing something and seeing the yard evolve. Part of the process is the pleasure of success and even the occassional disappointments. So I guess ultimately I don't know if I have an image in my head of a 'dream landscape' but I do have general ideas about where I want to go with what I have as a garden. I also enjoy this part of it...communicating with others of like-minds and learning.

Edited by Fouquieria

-Ron-

Please click my Inspired button. http://yardshare.com/myyard.php?yard_id=384

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I'm working with a small tract home lot, so I could never achieve my dream landscape here. But I'm having fun seeing how many plants I can overcrowd into a small space. Plus, I'd probably want to move to a more coastal less-frosty environment to really go nuts with the yard of my dreams. And of course I'd need a lot more money!

But my dream would be to have several acres and created in such a way that it feels like a native rainforest with winding pathways, like you're discovering each little clearly and nook, rather than just "being in a yard". I would have total privacy from other homes and native terrain, so that I felt like you went on vacation without leaving the house. Extremely natural looking. But I would also have a large lawn area with big specimen trees as well with a more structured feel, more open and sunny for recreational fun.

Now, my super crazy dream is to create a true rainforest climate in southern california via a humidity/temperature controlled room. I'm sure there is a technical word for this, but it would be a greenhouse on steroids, with a scope so you would feel like you are outside. Full of exotic tropical species that have never been grown in socal, waterfalls, rivers, pathways, caverns, and even colorful wildlife roaming around in their own little jungle. And it would only cost millions and millions of dollars to accomplish!

I guess it would be called a biodome or geodesic dome or something, except hopefully with less Pauly Shores. I know they have done things like this in cold climates, but I can't seem to remember which countries. I've seen things on TV about creating these artificial tropical environments.

For some reason it appeals to me more to create the tropics where they don't belong, rather than actually going to the tropics. I have a feeling if I lived in the tropics, I'd be trying to plant a formal English garden.

For some reason it appeals to me more to create the tropics where they don't belong, rather than actually going to the tropics. I have a feeling if I lived in the tropics, I'd be trying to plant a formal English garden.

I guess you could look at it this way. Here on the equator the last thing I want is a formal English garden. I want a landscape that takes the best of what is here and improves on it.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I guess I missed the question. My dream landscape would be living in a small cabin with a tin roof, porch, swing, and hammock in the back of Bo's garden. Also for when it's raining or dark, a 46" flat screen HDTV and a nice Macintoch computer.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

I guess you could look at it this way. Here on the equator the last thing I want is a formal English garden. I want a landscape that takes the best of what is here and improves on it.

dk

Bear in mind, California native plants are super boring. Let's be honest, if we didn't plant things in socal, it isn't much to look at.

So my tune would probably change if I lived somewhere lush and tropical like you and I'd go with the flow more. It would be fun to plant palms for once without them teetering on death in the winter!

My Dream Landscape.

Well, I have to say I am building my dream. A southern US look with a tropical flair. Live Oaks and Palms as a theme on a bayou.

So, I have 3 acres bordering on a Bayou Teche with several Live Oaks and a really large one by the bayou. I have been planting for 5 years, and will be planting for another 5 years. Then after yet 5 more years of growing time, 10 years from today, I will have the landscape I want and then I will live in my own little botanical garden. I have lots of unique plants for my area already in and more coming. Lots of palms too, but not so many as to overwhelm the total theme.

The pace at which I am going is driven by budget, not desire. The size also is driven by budget, not desire.

So, if that limitation were not there, I would have between 12 and 16 acres, with an Antebellum home for a main residence with two satellite residences for guests, maybe a small conference center, and all in the middle of a botanical garden bordering on a natural Louisiana bayou the same way I am going. Same plants, same theme, just larger.

So all in all, my vision is coming together. Now if I win the lottery, well,,,,. Of course I would have to buy a lotto ticket. Hmmm, problem.

I like this thread. Share your dreams.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hmm.

Half an acre in La Habra, in the hills, where the mourning doves (not plebeian pigeons) fly and coo.

A rain forest in the making in the front yard under the soon-to-be removed Tree of Lust and Desire.

Hmm.

More thinking . . .

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'd like a 5 acre lot...I dont think I could maintain anything larger than that (without the help of landscapers). I'd like to have different style garden areas featuring palms.

1. Mediterranean courtyard - lined with Phoenix and chamaerops as an entranceway.

2. Balinese water garden- with koi ponds with licuala species and cyrtostachys.

3.A natural looking swiming pool- with large boulders and waterfall surrounded by cocos nucifera, Bismarckia and Veitchias.

4. Moroccan style patio- lined with palms in pots and water fountains.

5. Rainforest- This would be the majority of my lot. Bentinckias, Clinostigmas, Carpoxylons, Carpentarias, DypsisVerschaffeltia, Archontophoenix, Roystoneas, Pinangas, Neoveitchias, Tahinas, with a canopy of Mango, Avocado, Poinciana, Jacaranda, Magnolia and Rubber trees.

6. Beach garden- consisting of Bismarckias, Cocos, Coccothrinax, Satakentia, Pseudophoenix, Hyophorbes, Sabals, Pritchardias

7. Open area/savannah/scrub land- Attaleas, certain Dypsis, Wodyetias, Roystoneas.

Now all i need is some serious CASH or for someone to snap me out of this dream.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Great topic.

For my wife and I who enjoy the same look and plants, we are still working on the layout of our own yard. We are on 2.1 acres. I am more of a collector of plants; palms, cycads, crotons,flowering trees, bromeliads,unique shrubs and a few orchids on trees. Therefore, our yard does not really have beautiful laid out beds that you would see in Disney World. I'll be the first to admit, I really don't have much of a landscape talent. Therefore, I want to have as much as I can of rare and unusual plants in the yard so visitors have to ask whats this, or whats that?

Our yard across the back will be completely covered in with large shade trees and then shade loving palms underneath. We have, and still are constructing walkways or pathways throughout our yard. Along these pathways will be many sitting areas. Some, might just be a bench for two, where other areas will have a table and and maybe four chairs. We have kept an area in the back for our above ground fire pit, which at least ten people can sit around it and enjoy. Not many cold nights during the year though.

We had a large pond dug in the front corner of our property where we will eventually construct a small waterfall on the far side and then create a lush landscape around. As of now, we have some coconuts and other larger palms started there. We are also big into garden art placed throughout the yard.

We have very little grass in our yard, mainly in the front, where Andrea wants to keep the front of our home open.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

That sounds like a great project. Who would want to live in Disney World anyway? At least I wouldn't. The way I look at my lot which is about 2.5 acres is that I have not front or back yard. I have an entry way which really will go to the back of the house, when I get it made. I also plan on having plenty of fruit trees. Native fruits in the forest area, both palm and others. And, exotic and natives spread around in other areas. I plan on using plenty of deck. One of the deck projects is to make a platform next to the Mauritia grove which would be about 4 meters off the ground. The lot slopes down the mauritas about 10 meters at least from the higher part. I plan on using tatch roofing for a lot of the structures, maybe all of them including the house. Another thing here is get enough air circulation around the house. There is very little wind here so whatever breeze you can catch is welcome. And, I am going to plant a lot of Euterpe precatorias. I must have well over 100 growing in pots that will go in when the rainy season comes around November. I have had several dream landscape plans in the past in other places, including Fort Lauderdale. But, non really really got to where I wanted them. This one I intend to see through. One thing that is not too hard to create here is a jungle. You just have to do nothing and it takes over.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

My parent's backyard.

Northern Wisconsin. My kids canoeing without a care in the world.

post-1344-1218769892_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Linda

San Antonio, TX

29.50N 98 W Elev: 950 ft

Zone 8b/9a (Half my zip code 8, other half 9) Heat Zone 10

Currently, all my palms are hardy to 8b.

լինդա կարամանիան մալդոնադո

(My name: Armenian)

I guess I missed the question. My dream landscape would be living in a small cabin with a tin roof, porch, swing, and hammock in the back of Bo's garden. Also for when it's raining or dark, a 46" flat screen HDTV and a nice Macintoch computer.

Dick

[/quote

<---just fell off the chair LOL!!!...now I know I'll fit in. dittos on the shack dude...chute I don't need to be wired....just a tent and some deet for the mosquito's. Bgl's beach can't be that far...and the palm trees at night with a soft breeze rustling their leaves and a canopy of stars peeking thru...that's the right station to surf.

Sounds like it's going to get crowded here in the back 40... :lol: The beach is about 15-20 minutes away (we're up in the rainforest). And talk about coincidences - I was just talking to a neighbor here in Leilani Estates. A couple of years ago they bought the property right across from ours (at the end of Kumakahi Street, a dead end street) and cleared it at that time. However, they have decided to sell it. It's 1.04 acres (208 x 218 ft), but they havn't settled on a price yet. Backs up against the forest. This is a VERY quiet location. So, if anyone is interested, there may be a great opportunity for palm growing in Leilani Estates.... And our Pigafettas and Clinostigmas are RIGHT across the street! :)

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Well,

I have established my 'dream garden' not once, not twice, but three times. I have moved three times (all unexpected moves). This last move was to a waterfront (actually the water is in the backyard) along a main river that flows from east to west right through the county. I was VERY hesitant to be on the water, since my garden is a place to retreat to and to escape the noise, people, and stress of life. I didn't want to feel like I was on a stage with boaters, skiiers, jet skiis, and the voices of people from across the riverbank.

However, after planting, now I have an "urban jungle" that serves many purposes. It does shield all of the undesireable points mentioned above, yet, the waterview remains from strategic spots along the garden. The lot is a typical suburban sized lot, however is pie shaped -- 60 feet along the street and 130 feet along the water.

Wind is another concern. Since there is not really any wind break, most of the taller palms must be pinnate and from native areas that get cyclones on a regular basis. I used many species of Veitchia, Coconut, Dictyosperma, and Ptychosperma. My tender fan shaped palms are deep beneath dependant upon some protection from the big boys overhead. I did plant a Livistona rotundifolia on the seawall and it is always beat up.

I love my garden, and at times, I wish for more space. However, I do know that more space equates to more time and more money spent. I do feel blessed at what I have and I do have more space in the NC mountains.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am living my dream garden. However, when I visit anyone else's garden I usually come back to my own with renewed enthusiasm and excitement. Everyone's is different for a variety of reasons.

I always laugh when I think about my deceased friend, Paul Drummond, and his garden. PalmGuyWC (Richard Douglas) always commented about Paul's place looking like a "tossed salad" since there was not rhyme or reason for placement. But, Paul loved his like we all love our own. It's instinct. You create what you love and your garden is an extension of yourself.

Enough philosophy. I have a rum and coke sweating here.

Edited by TikiRick
  • Upvote 1

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

• 8 years later...

My ideal would be a nicely landscaped front yard and house area, and a backyard that is basically a rain forest of palms, bananas, avocados, bamboo, sugar cane, and large trees for canopy.  Getting there, slowly but surely.

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

My dream garden would consist of Araucaria, & Cycads (especially Encephalartos) with a handful of tough palms to soften up the place.  My love of palms isn't going away, but the diseases here in central FL are really taking away many of the mainstay palms.  Our occasionally cold, dry winters and pitiful sand/soil rule out more tropical species, so one must adapt.  Big, bold silver Bismarckia would be really nice among the dark green Araucaria and spiky Cycads.  I've been a professional horticulturist since 1982 and I've actually never visited a garden with this plant palette.  Here in Central FL, it could be done.  I'm very pleased how well Araucaria bidwillii is growing.  Not as happy with A. columnaris.  There are a number of other Araucaria that should work here too if one could just find a source.  We can grow many cycad species.  I'm in an area where winter freezes are common so In addition to Bismarckia, I would grow Silver Saw Palmetto, Livistonas (chinensis, australis, decora, saribus, mariae) & Allagoptera.  Caryota would look right at home too though they aren't as well adapted to my particular 3 acres because of the terrible soil and occasional winter weather.

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

My dream is to have several themed gardens grouped by native region.

• Eastern North American native plants such as Sabal, Rhapidophyllum and flowers like hibiscus coccineus with a bog/pond garden. 

• Western North American with native desert plants and palms. 

• South American with Butia species, Syagrus, Allagoptera etc and native flowers.  

• Asian garden with Livistona, Trachycarpus, Rhapis, Tropical hibiscus, pines etc  

• Mediterranean garden with Oleander, Phoenix palms, Olives, figs, and many more. 

Can you see my OCD runs my life? 

• Upvote 1

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

@Brad Mondel That's a really interesting concept.  OCD is a good thing in some cases.

• Upvote 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

On 8/9/2008, 5:05:00, Kim said:

A 'dream landscape' of 2-5 acres in San Diego is just that -- a dream. I have your typical urban/suburban lot measuring 60 ft. x 120 ft. Oh yeah, there's a 3 bedroom house and 2-car garage on it. What's left over is my 'dream garden'.

Actually, this is a wonderful exercise in selection. With a limited area, it's like a jewel box; only the finest palms will make the cut (in theory). The challenge is to create a slice of paradise that transports the visitor outside the realm of the ordinary SoCal garden experience. Since I'm only a few years into my palm fascination, it's all in the future; the many palms in my garden are small and some are barely noticeable. But I have the pattern of the garden in my head, and a vision of how it should develop. In a few more years, it will be a serene retreat.

Going forward, the dream garden moves to the Big Island. My husband and I are discussing and researching buying property in Leilani Estates or nearby, all for the pleasure of growing palms. Wish me luck.

Update:  The dream garden exists for me now on the Big Island. 2 acres and a house, 300+ palms of about 100 species, plenty of rain, plenty of sun, a serene retreat even more wonderful than I could have imagined.  You have the power to make your dreams come true.

• Upvote 4

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Color. Texture. Contrast. Varied and quirky yet neat and cohesive. I want it to be eye-catching, with hidden gems everywhere you look, something Dr. Suess-style, but more realistic of course. I'd mesh everything from tropicals to alpine and desert plant species without making it look gaudy and tacky.

Oddball palms like Bismarckia, Licuala, Lipstick, Trachycarpus wagnerianus, etc. would be essential. I'd have LOADS of succulents, various cacti. Exotic foliage plants like Monstera deliciosa, Alocasia/Colocasia, Ferns, etc. Flowering plants of all kinds, from Bird of Paradise to Southern Magnolia.

On 7/6/2017, 7:52:53, Kim said:

Update:  The dream garden exists for me now on the Big Island. 2 acres and a house, 300+ palms of about 100 species, plenty of rain, plenty of sun, a serene retreat even more wonderful than I could have imagined.  You have the power to make your dreams come true.

All is possible, congratulations!!!

"I believe I can fly "- R. Kelly

• Upvote 2

Rio_Grande.gif

My garden changes a lot from year to year, mostly because as less than hardy palms die I replace them with more exotic ( hardy for me zone) plants. In the last 10 years there has been a lot of new and interesting plants that given me that tropical look I crave. I just wish I had more sunlight now that its all mature. My zone is 8a wet winter with dry summers. 

DSC00045.thumb.JPG.c6a748d96b51517c40875de863f596c6.JPG

• Upvote 3