IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Guess what happened

BS Man about Palms

Its not the best picture, but guess what I awoke to this morning. (yeah, I know, scary, etc.)

Anywho, I know just when it happened.

I'll say tonite.

post-27-1218207608_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Looks like you got poked by a palm spine :drool:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Dear Bill :)

can you break the ice ? the suspense is killing me ! now its night here..it would be difficult to go to bed simply guessing ,what you were to tell us....f7482ca8.gif

Bill tell us quickly...or else my head will blow like this animated gif's 603222da.gif

Love,

Kris :huh:

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Went on a bender last night, blacked out, woke up at home with a black eye. Thursday is the new Friday.

Happens to me all the time.

• Upvote 1

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

you got a weed stuck in yer eye? :blink:

• Upvote 1

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Uh,...you were trying to recruit ranch hands?

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

How about telling us where you slept last night? :unsure:

Was it under some tree?

Hope you are ok!

40270.gif

Greetings from Amman/Jordan

Simona

Bill,

Can you please break the ice? I don't know if I will sleep tonight.

And I hope your not talking about some boo-boo. :mrlooney:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It turns out that you really are allergic to planting things in the ground?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

ohhhh gaaawwwwwd!!!!!!!!! please tell me--i cant take the suspense!!!!!!!! :wacko::crying::o

still "warning-free."

herpes? pink eye? pink rot? budrot? beri-beri? distemper? rabies? blepharostenosis? blepharosynechia? coloenteritis?

coloplexia? indian burn? scurvy? scrub typhus? scurf? sebastomania(oops thats mattyb)? scrofula? traumatophilia(oops,mattyb again)? anhaphia? argininosuccinicaciduria? aryiria? argyle-soxia? dementia? seisesthesia? seismic activity? teleopsia? oopsydaysia? spontaneous twinning? xenopththalmia? xenophobia? x-menphobia? ............. :rant:

btw,i 'm sending you a bill for this :bemused:

still "warning-free."

Phoenix reclinata hybrid?

post-662-1218238038_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

You had a date with a blind baton twirling ranch hand ?

• Upvote 1

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Maybe it's time to send out a Search and Rescue team....Bill hasn't logged in since he posted the photo! :huh:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

WELL, Its more like an episode of Jacka**. I fix Heat and AC systems for those of you that don't know and last night I had to go in an attic to fix a pvc pipe leaking water. When I got to the attic of this fairly new home (couple years old) I noticed a few rat traps set around. I had to follow this drain line in a small area. I had my head turned looking at the pipe as it passed thru a platform and as I pushed myself further back to get a better look, I found I was close enough to set off the closest Rat trap with my head, it took aim at my eyebrow and eye and I'm glad it was a new one. It puffed up real big right away, the swelling was down within the hour, but the shiner showed up this morning.

I'm glad I can provide entertainment to all of you. I would have prefered Kim's method! :blink:

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Holy frijoles Bill, you could have lost an eye. That's too close for comfort. You should wear some safety glasses.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

WELL, Its more like an episode of Jacka**. I fix Heat and AC systems for those of you that don't know and last night I had to go in an attic to fix a pvc pipe leaking water. When I got to the attic of this fairly new home (couple years old) I noticed a few rat traps set around. I had to follow this drain line in a small area. I had my head turned looking at the pipe as it passed thru a platform and as I pushed myself further back to get a better look, I found I was close enough to set off the closest Rat trap with my head, it took aim at my eyebrow and eye and I'm glad it was a new one. It puffed up real big right away, the swelling was down within the hour, but the shiner showed up this morning.

I'm glad I can provide entertainment to all of you. I would have prefered Kim's method! :blink:

JESUS CHRIST !! Anything for a freakin post !!! :rage:

I hope you washed your hands though......

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

JESUS CHRIST !! Anything for a freakin post !!! :rage:

I hope you washed your hands though......

Jeff

Jeff- If you're jealous over a post count.....I'm sure you in your scooter garb and riding would qualify...... :floor:

• Upvote 1

Aw, hell.

(oops! Sorry!)

Ain't no thang.

That's why Whoever gave us eye sockets . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

"Those rat-traps should be illegal"said the Rat.Glad to see you are OK!

What you look for is what is looking

So, Bill, how are you now?

If you get any off-vision, get thee to teh doctor, asap.

Seriously.

That sounded nasty.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dear Bill :)

sorry to hear about the wound,i consider you are lucky...to have your eyes unhurt..this thing happens to my hands often.

i have variety of saftey eye ware ,will post stills of it,you can try some and they were bought from amazon.com

take care,

love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

At this point, it looks much worse than it is. I've been crawling thru attics a long time, this was a new one. I feel fine and vision not affected at all at this point.

• Upvote 1

At this point, it looks much worse than it is. I've been crawling thru attics a long time, this was a new one. I feel fine and vision not affected at all at this point.

Dear Bill,iam glad to hear it,that your vision is not affect....but be careful in the future..

love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 9 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2008‎ ‎1‎:‎39‎:‎15‎, Kim said:

Uh,...you were trying to recruit ranch hands?

:floor:

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 6 months later...

Soooo I figured I might update an event that recently happened as some folks here don't frequent fb. I very nearly took myself out Thursday afternoon. I was preparing to jump into an attic of a large mansion type vacant home for sale in Rancho Santa Fe. The home has 14' ceilings and with the framing etc. its about 15' to the platform I needed to access. I borrowed a 10' step ladder from onsite and the groundskeeper helped carry it in as I don't carry anything that tall on my van. He left and was outside as was a tree trimming company working on a Canary Palm out front. As I tried to hoist myself into the attic using a foot jammed behind me to lift, my foot slipped. I then fell out the hole flipping upside down landing on the top step of the 10' ladder on my lower back, then slung over to continue on and smack my head into the marble floor.

I am shocked I survived, and in remarkably good condition. No broken bones or vision issues, etc. I have 5 staples in my head and major lower back hematoma, but I'm mobile. I was more or less mobile the next day! (albeit a bit slow and tender) A great day to be alive!!! 

40670785_1799742840073879_9065633792336592896_n.jpg

• Upvote 2

Thank goodness ! You sound like a very lucky man!

• Upvote 2

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Could have very easily have broke my neck and died, no one in the home to notice for some time either. Yup, Lucky

• Upvote 2

OMG I am so glad you are OK!!!!!! I had an experience somewhat like this once its a real eye opener.

• Upvote 1

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Wow. 

So sorry to hear about your fall Bill, but sounds like it could certainly have been much worse. 

Rest up and accept all offers of food and assistance from locals!

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

@BS Man about Palms

Glad you are alright!  You should consider playing the lottery with all of that luck :)

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

10 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Soooo I figured I might update an event that recently happened as some folks here don't frequent fb. I very nearly took myself out Thursday afternoon. I was preparing to jump into an attic of a large mansion type vacant home for sale in Rancho Santa Fe. The home has 14' ceilings and with the framing etc. its about 15' to the platform I needed to access. I borrowed a 10' step ladder from onsite and the groundskeeper helped carry it in as I don't carry anything that tall on my van. He left and was outside as was a tree trimming company working on a Canary Palm out front. As I tried to hoist myself into the attic using a foot jammed behind me to lift, my foot slipped. I then fell out the hole flipping upside down landing on the top step of the 10' ladder on my lower back, then slung over to continue on and smack my head into the marble floor.

I am shocked I survived, and in remarkably good condition. No broken bones or vision issues, etc. I have 5 staples in my head and major lower back hematoma, but I'm mobile. I was more or less mobile the next day! (albeit a bit slow and tender) A great day to be alive!!! 

40670785_1799742840073879_9065633792336592896_n.jpg

Glad yer OK William. However, I do think they could have taken a little more time and care with that patch on your head. Looks like a rush job.

6 hours ago, Gonzer said:

Glad yer OK William. However, I do think they could have taken a little more time and care with that patch on your head. Looks like a rush job.

Tha'ts because after the staples were put in, I was still dribblin a little blood. It looks like this underneath..

40685592_310847669648394_3850452079378169856_n.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ouch! Ouch! OUCH!

Hoping you are on the mend and your brain is comfy inside. No concussion??

Time for a promotion to a managerial role in the company? (No more ladders!)

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

OUCH.

I swore off excessive ladders long ago.

Get well soon!