IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus macrocarpa

edbrown_III

Gilenos threads have gottn me to go back through old photos and scan pictures of palms predigitally taken.

S. sancona photo posted earlier was one..

This is S. macrocarpa --- I think I identified by seeds but took 10 rolls of film (during 3 week trip ) so it was harder to organize back then.

Photo was taken on the road to Governor Valaderes ( I cant remember the citys name) but we were driving from Diaminitina to Rio trying to see as many Syagrus species as possible.

Best wishes,

Ed

post-562-1215967389_thumb.jpg

Ed,

The city is Govendor Valadares the home of a large group of legal and illegal immigrants in South Florida and elswhere in the States. Money sent from the Brazilians in the States has had a noticable impact in the economy of the city. I used to live in Minas Gerais, my first wife was from there. Diamantina is a beautiful place and a beautiful part of the country. I was just thinking about Syagrus today. The Global Rural TV show this morning had a piece on the Syagrus coronata, licuri palm. It was real interesting.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Don,

Much obliged for the back ground on the city. I dont speak Portugues only rudimentary spanish so travelling was a bit complicated and I didnt know much about the cities there. I used rudimentary maps to navigate betwn the cities and not get too lost.

Inge Hoffman who ran the seed bank wrote an article about traveling in MG in the SA journal in the 80s -- I got this as a guide and visited this part of Brasil and Pantanal in 91' . the South Africans went there a few weeks later and wrote a series of article s about Syagrus. in MG, Bahia etc. They were fluent in several languages and took local transportation so could pick up alot of the travelling. There was embargo with SA so they colllected loads of seeds to bring back.. What I saw -- It got me to go back 2 more times 97, 01, & with the post biennial trip. Most of these were road trips I would get the 3 city pass and drive between airports ...

When I went in 91, there wasnt much information about palms. Inges article had a picture of S. glaucescens in it. It was so beautiful that it prompted me to go to that part of Brasil. I had a mistaken notion that this was a cold spot in Brasil and some of these species might take frost. I learned they werent cold hardy. -- plus I saw a few coconuts in vicinity so knew it was a frostpoket.

Diamintina looks like a town that could be a Van Gogh painting. Every house is painted a different color you would think it would look tacky but it looks like an artist picked out the colors. It is the prettiest small town I have ever seen.

Best wishes,

Ed

• 5 months later...
Gilenos threads have gottn me to go back through old photos and scan pictures of palms predigitally taken.

S. sancona photo posted earlier was one..

This is S. macrocarpa --- I think I identified by seeds but took 10 rolls of film (during 3 week trip ) so it was harder to organize back then.

Photo was taken on the road to Governor Valaderes ( I cant remember the citys name) but we were driving from Diaminitina to Rio trying to see as many Syagrus species as possible.

Best wishes,

Ed

I think this is not S. macrocarpa but S. romanzoffiana

this is Syagrus macrocarpa in habitat its seeds have 3 "quinas longitudinais", I have 2 germinating and I planted 12 (one year ago).

post-2078-1230343697_thumb.jpg

Nice pictures of the Syagrus macrocarpa, i hope that a pakket will be recieve in holland the next couple weeks. I with more palm lovers has buy on a nursery at Marocco and i have choose this species to.

Robbin

Southwest

• 2 months later...

I'm very happy with this: two Syagrus macrocarpa seeds are germinating!

Almost one year to germinate.

Someone know about its cold tolerance?

post-2078-1236373801_thumb.jpg

post-2078-1236373868_thumb.jpg