IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Stictocardia beraviensis - Stunning Hawaiian Sunset

chris78

Has anyone try growing this vine? I order one from TOP TROPICAL

This is what they say about it....

"Every one who saw Hawaiian sunsets will recognize the dramatic view in colors of this blossom. This flower has splendid rich tones that are a marvel to see!

It's hard to find another tropical vine that will have so many great features at once. Stictocardia beraviensis, or Hawaiian Sunset Vine, can satisfy so many gardening needs that it is definitely a must in any tropical collection. These features are:

super-fast growing, can cover a fense, trellis, arbor or any unwanted views within a few weeks to a couple months

takes both fun sun and shade, even deep shade

beautiful, tri-color, sunset-bright scented flowers, 2-3" wide, will bloom in shade as well

large tropical-looking velvet leaves, so pleasant to touch, heart-shaped, that can grow as wide as 1 ft in diameter in filtered light and 5-6" in diameter if planted in full sun

blooms sporadically year round, with profuse splashes around March, June, September, and (most important!) December-January

Relatively cold hardy, will take a few hours of light frost, and will come back from roots if killed with longer periods of cold

can be grown in container and easily controlled

This evergreen climber with absolutely gorgeous blooms and lush big leaves is grown all over the Tropics and some subtropical areas. It is related to the Morning Glory with fast growing thick stems and fleshy heart shaped leaves. Cup shaped flowers emerge at the leaf axils in clusters and are 2-3"across, bright crimson with yellow and orange streaking. They are scented and seem to last a day or two. Leaves are large, growing in shade up to 10-12" wide, dark green and velvet, very ornamental even when not in bloom.

The plant likes lots of water, especially if grown in full sun. As with any blooming plants, the rule is - the more sun, the more flowers. However, this plant can be planted in shade probably with advantage: it will still continmue blooming profusely, but the leaves will grow much larger, that will create a gorgeous tropical look.

If planted in ground, this plant requires sugnificant space due to its fast growing habit. However, it can be easily grown in container as well. The final container size should be around 7-10 gal; provide a strong wooden trellis, make sure to train the fast growing branches around the trellis, and keep the soil moist. You may trim any unwanted twigs which won't hurt the plant appearance - on the contrary, it will encourage new blooms in leaf axils. You can have an outstanding specimen even if you have a limited space! "

The photo is also from top tropical web site

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Has anyone try growing this vine? I order one from TOP TROPICAL

This is what they say about it....

"Every one who saw Hawaiian sunsets will recognize the dramatic view in colors of this blossom. This flower has splendid rich tones that are a marvel to see!

It's hard to find another tropical vine that will have so many great features at once. Stictocardia beraviensis, or Hawaiian Sunset Vine, can satisfy so many gardening needs that it is definitely a must in any tropical collection. These features are:

super-fast growing, can cover a fense, trellis, arbor or any unwanted views within a few weeks to a couple months

takes both fun sun and shade, even deep shade

beautiful, tri-color, sunset-bright scented flowers, 2-3" wide, will bloom in shade as well

large tropical-looking velvet leaves, so pleasant to touch, heart-shaped, that can grow as wide as 1 ft in diameter in filtered light and 5-6" in diameter if planted in full sun

blooms sporadically year round, with profuse splashes around March, June, September, and (most important!) December-January

Relatively cold hardy, will take a few hours of light frost, and will come back from roots if killed with longer periods of cold

can be grown in container and easily controlled

This evergreen climber with absolutely gorgeous blooms and lush big leaves is grown all over the Tropics and some subtropical areas. It is related to the Morning Glory with fast growing thick stems and fleshy heart shaped leaves. Cup shaped flowers emerge at the leaf axils in clusters and are 2-3"across, bright crimson with yellow and orange streaking. They are scented and seem to last a day or two. Leaves are large, growing in shade up to 10-12" wide, dark green and velvet, very ornamental even when not in bloom.

The plant likes lots of water, especially if grown in full sun. As with any blooming plants, the rule is - the more sun, the more flowers. However, this plant can be planted in shade probably with advantage: it will still continmue blooming profusely, but the leaves will grow much larger, that will create a gorgeous tropical look.

If planted in ground, this plant requires sugnificant space due to its fast growing habit. However, it can be easily grown in container as well. The final container size should be around 7-10 gal; provide a strong wooden trellis, make sure to train the fast growing branches around the trellis, and keep the soil moist. You may trim any unwanted twigs which won't hurt the plant appearance - on the contrary, it will encourage new blooms in leaf axils. You can have an outstanding specimen even if you have a limited space! "

The photo is also from top tropical web site

post-111-1215905971_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

It does very well for me, I have it growing on a wooden fence. I have it in a very sunny area, it does well but does not like to get too dry. It grows very fast and blooms off & on all year with large flushes a few times a year. Flower colors are awesome.

david

There is a couple forms of this in the trade and talk on another board focused on that there are 2-3 different species in the trade. One is real foliage tender. The foliage yellows and drops when temperatures start to drop below 40F, we have that one. Its kind of bad as it starts flowering in early to mid Dec. and thats when we can start to get those temperatures. Besides the leaves it causes lots of the buds to drop, too. The vine survives and resprouts in spring but it sucks as winter is its peak season for color.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Stictocardia beraviensis (sold as that to me by Gardino Nursery) that I put in the ground last year in a sheltered spot against the house and under a canopy of Nerium, Tetrapanax and a Caesalpinia yucatanensis tree, it climbed up above the tree, bloomed intermittently and really put on some good thick rope-like stems. As I recall it did start declining perhaps a little before our first light frost around the end of November...but our 23.3F blast (15 hours below freezing) on 3 January cut it to the ground, and it never resprouted. Granted I forgot to mulch it, and that may explain why it didn't come back, but it seems that many of the Convolvulaceae don't resprout from the roots here, though of course several set seed like mad and pop up year after year as volunteers. Unfortunately the vine wasn't large enough and hadn't set any seed to test out that possibility here in my chilly-winter 9a location. Oh well, that it blooms primarily in winter and early spring is a problem in a freeze-prone area, anyway!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

• 14 years later...

Chris 78 ~ I realize this is a very old post, do you still have your Hawaiin Sunset vine? I just got a cutting today and am also in Phoenix, so I was wondering how yours is doing, hopefully it's thriving.  I know they thrive in Florida, but I worry about our heat and dryness.