IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A new Lytocaryum species

Gileno Machado

Now I guess it's official. My friend Carlos Alex, a palm collector from the town of Ilhéus in Southern Bahia State, NE Brazil, has just e-mailed me with the first two photos of the last visit from 2 weeks ago to an Atlantic forest reserve near his town. He invited Dr. Harri Lorenzi from São Paulo and Dr. Larry Noblick from Florida to collect and study this new species he had found sometime ago and they've realized that it should be described as a new species.

I guess this palm was considered different from L. hoehnei and L. weddellianum for its small size, place of occurence, inflorescence and fruits.

As I've shown here in the Dwarf Syagrus thread, I had seen one of these palms at Lorenzi's property in Campinas a few weeks ago, sent by Alex.

Being a great admirer of the genus Lytocaryum I hope this new third species can be properly preserved in habitat and also that it may have a nice future in cultivation.

I was promised of a few of the seeds soon.

Alex said that they had proposed the species to be named Lytocaryum bahiensis or L. itapebiensis, for the town where it was identified in habitat.

Look at this small gem, in habitat:

post-157-1215512603_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Here is the expedition group and a collected specimen:

Alex, Lorenzi, Noblick and João Orquídea:

Notice the long upright inflorescence, looking like a Chamaedorea:

post-157-1215513184_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gee, I have attached the photo in horizontal and now I can't manage to correct it or edit the post. Help me Dean !

Hi Gileno,

WOW now I don't mind getting a sore neck

to see that, what a different looking 'sp' of

Lytocaryum, So Cool.......

Regards Mikey.

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Very dainty looking palms. I quite like it. I have to admit I haven't got into the Lytocaryum just yet. I think I have one somewhere :blink: . I think I have to find it now...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Gee, I have attached the photo in horizontal and now I can't manage to correct it or edit the post. Help me Dean !

Allow me, Gileno.

post-1155-1215517840_thumb.jpg

Gileno,

This a nice find, as we always thought that there would always be only two species in this genus. And I think the choice of species names are perfect. Tell them all, thanks for all their good work.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks everyone.

I thought it was great to see a new Lytocaryum species found in habitat so further north from the others.

Most of the non-palm people who visit my collection (including my parents) always mention that the small potted Lytocaryum weddellianum I keep in the living room is the most beautiful and unusual palm I have...and they always ask me for seedlings of the species, which are usually hard to find up here in the Northeast.

Alex mentioned that he took the group of botanists to see another new species he has found...this time a new Geonoma. I'll ask him for some pictures of this one too.

glad someone mentioned this, Lytocaryum make terrific indoor palms, very little care needed, and best of all - no spines. This new one looks a bit like an Allagoptera, esp. fruiting so small. Great looking palm.

- dave

Great discovery Gileno.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thanks Gileno for this interesting thread. Tell Carlos Alex muito obrigado for his discovery. I do have the other two species: L. weddelianum ® and L. hoehnei (L) - here is what they look like in containers . . .

post-90-1216076515_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Thanks for showing yours, Al.

L. hoehnei is not easily found in cultivation in Brazil either, so it is a surprise for me to see a nice one in your collection, congrats.

I was just going to say that too. I have spent a lot of time trying to find one with a little size to it since they are slow here in SoCal.

The new species seems to be the nicer of the three. What do you think? You have seen all three in person.

Thanks for showing yours, Al.

L. hoehnei is not easily found in cultivation in Brazil either, so it is a surprise for me to see a nice one in your collection, congrats.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 9 months later...

Dear all -

first of all, a friendly Hello to you from Germany. I have been registered a few day days ago, the confirmation I received last night.

To be honest ... this thread was the reason for registration ... I could not believe what I read. B)

Gileno, you made my day ... no, my year.

I am an enthusiastic palm friend; my special love belongs to the feather palms ... and within them, the species of Lytocaryum. 2 L. weddelianum are growing very well and are of good condition, 1 L. hoehnei (I have it since March 2009) tries to acclimate.

2 questions are of high interest for me:

1. As far as I know, they mention 3 (reputed?) species of Lytocaryum:

a ) L. weddelianum

b ) L. hoehnei

c ) L. insigne

Can anybody confirm this? And do you have seen a picture of L. insigne or has experiences with growing? Maybe is anyone in possession of it?

2. Gileno, what I have to do to get the new species you described above? Any chance? I would do everything for it.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Verena :)

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

Welcome Verena!

If you don't get a response from Gileno in a few days, be sure to "bump" this thread, or send him a PM.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi, BS --

this is a helpful recommendation, thank you. :)

It was my intention to introduce myself first because I think it is a question of decency.

Best regards,

Verena

Welcome Verena!

If you don't get a response from Gileno in a few days, be sure to "bump" this thread, or send him a PM.

Edited by Z4Devil

Dear all -

first of all, a friendly Hello to you from Germany. I have been registered a few day days ago, the confirmation I received last night.

To be honest ... this thread was the reason for registration ... I could not believe what I read. B)

Gileno, you made my day ... no, my year.

I am an enthusiastic palm friend; my special love belongs to the feather palms ... and within them, the species of Lytocaryum. 2 L. weddelianum are growing very well and are of good condition, 1 L. hoehnei (I have it since March 2009) tries to acclimate.

2 questions are of high interest for me:

1. As far as I know, they mention 3 (reputed?) species of Lytocaryum:

a ) L. weddelianum

b ) L. hoehnei

c ) L. insigne

Can anybody confirm this? And do you have seen a picture of L. insigne or has experiences with growing? Maybe is anyone in possession of it?

2. Gileno, what I have to do to get the new species you described above? Any chance? I would do everything for it.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Verena :)

Hello Verena,

Nice to meet another Lytocarium "freak"!

This post could have been mine. I'd do also anything for seeds of this new species! (the same goes for any hybrids where Lyto's are involved by the way) Lytocarium is, and will allways be my favorite palms!

Also 2 weddy's and a hoehnei growing here. I've been told that most weddellianum seeds that are commercially available are often a mixture of weddellianum and insignum. This might be true because I see a lot of variation between the many seedlings I have and had here, though the've all been treated the same way...

Anyway, I hope seeds, and maybe plants, of hoehnei and the new species will become more available in the near future!

Cheers,

Kai

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Hi Verena, wilkommen...

I've been away for a few days and I didn't have the chance to post here before.

I actually received a few seeds of the new Lytocaryum species a couple months after this thread was started. None of my seeds has sprouted yet, I've recently checked them out again. They are still in moist cocopeat and didn't seem to rot or decay yet. My friend Carlos Alex told me that he hadn't obtained any sprouts from these seeds either but he has collected a couple grown up plants and they transplanted fine for him. Later he said that his friend had a few sprouts and recommended him not to soak the seeds previously to sowing, as we've both done, as usual. I don't know how Lorenzi's specimen is doing in São Paulo, or if the new species has been properly identified by now.

I received a few other seeds from another friend in São Paulo indicated as Lytocaryum insigne, as you mention. This species intrigued me also because I hadn't found its description in either Palm books and Encyclopedias available here. I thought it was L. weddelianum, but the seeds look rather small for the species. None of these seeds has sprouted yet either.

Seeds from the new species seem to be very hard to find at the moment. I guess they've found less than 10 mature palms of this species in habitat so far and, being such a small understory plant, the mature seeds close to the ground are easy prays for a number of small animals existing in Atlantic forest.

Your love for the genus has impressed me, for a collector in Germany. Is Lytocaryum a popular indoor palm in cultivation where you live? I'll see if I can get a few of those fresh seeds to send your way when they are available...keep in touch...

Grüsse,

Gileno

Gileno -excellent :interesting:

Has anyone noticed that many times when a new species is being found - :innocent: Larry Noblick is around? He is like the "blood hound" of new palm species. :lol:

Ron.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Palm friends ... seems that I am arrived at the true home. B)

I would like to ask you to forgive that my English is not that of a native speaker; but I am working on it ... and do my best. :D

And yes - I thank you so much for this warm welcome, it feels good to stay here among you and to know that there are thousands of palm freaks around me.

@ Kai: really? Give me five, that is a great information. I am happy to meet other Lytocaryum friends. I have contacted known and not so known seed dealers and nurseries all over the world: US, Australia, Asia, UK ... no chance to get a L. hoehnei. In the meantime a german friend makes it possible to get a further hoehnei for me. I am soooo happy, you can´t imagine how. The hoehnei at home had problems with acclimating. I use Superthrive and Palmbooster ... with a giant result. The woody feathers has been growing again, I can see green feathers now, hoehnei will make it. When the time is coming and I see success / results of it, you will see a first foto after the worst case.

@ Gileno: you make my day, incredible. I would like to repeat my ask. Is there any option to get some seedlings / live trees of the new species and insigne? If you like it via PM. You will never know what this thread means to me ... and your postings.

By the way ... it is so lovely to read your German. I appriciate this very much.

What I have to do to get the most important thing of the world? The two mentioned L. species? If you are able to share some / 2 "babies" (one of each) you would find an absolut happy woman. :)

Please see below some pictures of some palm I have ... hope you enjoy.

A foto of my Cocos nucifera and about 140 seeds will follow, promised. *bg*

Best regards and have a nice weekend. In Germany it is a quarter past 9 p.m.

Verena

Howeia Forsteriana

Alexandra1.jpg

The Phoenix palms

P. Louererii [in the background, beyond] and roebellnii

P.roebellinii_u._louererii2.jpg

My P. louererii "Manipur"

P.roebellinii1.jpg

And now ... *drumsplease* --> L. Weddelianum, height today 135 cm. In the backgound my Areca catechu "gang*. :)

L.weddelianum1.jpg

Edited by Z4Devil

Hi,

Lytocaryum species are really nice looking tropical palm trees. This new discovery looks very sweet!

Gileno, May I ask what kind of temperatures can been seen in that habitat from the new discovered species?

Robbin

Southwest

Hi Robbin. I think the climate in Ilhéus region, Bahia State, is a bit cooler than mine up here but still very tropical, being located in eastern/central Brazil's coastline. I'd guess that being an understory palm thriving in shady and moist environment, the lowest temperatures, even during rainy winter nights could barely hit occasionally 12°C for a few hours...I'd guess the other two species, especially hoehnei, which occurs at much southern places and at a much higher altitude, along São Paulo coastal Serra do Mar are both much cold hardier than the new one from Bahia, which seems to have fewer fronds and broader leaflets as well.

Cagary, thanks. I always look at Kew's checklist and they are usually over 99% correct. There are several interesting palm genera that still need a closer look and study though... Not to mention the hundreds of species still awaiting a separate recognition and hundreds more still to be discovered, even big and unexpected ones like Tahina, just recently born to both scientific and horticultural worlds...

Verena, your palms all look great...I'm delighted here seeing you take care of nice indoor Areca catechu...in Westphalia.!!..You should see me torturing Nikaus and Jubaeas down here as well :lol: Seriously, I guess you should try A. catechu, but the dwarf variety... I've just managed to germinate 100% of those seeds and they'll probably make terrific indoor palms for your climate, provided moist and eventually to be taken outside in summer. With so much palmbooster like that, you may need a taller baywindow for your standard catechus in no time... :)

Not many Lytos available up here and only few nurseries have them for sale, coming from production in Rio, SP and down south. Seeds are mostly unavailable. These palms are usually slow growers in my climate, in bright light indoors they may take forever to fruit so they probably don't interest the local nurseries so much as Phoenix roebellenii and other faster growing guy$...and still, for indoors design they may just recommend Chamaedorea elegans and the omnipresent Dypsis lutescens (till it dies), ouch...

Ron... Larry Noblick and Lorenzi are my Heroes. Can you imagine how nice it would be to spend our entire life among palms, studying, cultivating, visiting, exploring and observing them? Besides that, they are both very nice gentlemen. Noblick's wife was born in my town (Recife) and they still come down here often to visit family and friends. I wish they can have some time to visit my palms in Sirinhaém next time they come. I was introduced to Larry Noblick by John and Faith Bishock at Montgomery's a few years ago and he gave us a memorable and splendid tour of the gardens, I will never forget. I was reluctant when I first posted the pictures of their expedition without asking their permission first but since the photos were taken by my friend Alex who authorized me to do so and was actually pleased to see them posted, I figured it could justify our excitement with this discovery. I sort of apologize anyway, for maybe taking them as palm public figures...We really should thank them both a lot for what they've been doing to the Science and to the Palm world... :greenthumb:

Here they are in São Paulo, when I met them shortly before their trip to Bahia, in Lorenzi's greenhouse at Instituto Plantarum, admiring for the first time one of these new Lytos that Carlos Alex had sent:

post-157-1241840762_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Gileno Machado wrote:

Your love for the genus has impressed me, for a collector in Germany. Is Lytocaryum a popular indoor palm in cultivation where you live? I'll see if I can get a few of those fresh seeds to send your way when they are available...keep in touch...

Thank you so much, Gileno. To answer your question in one word: NO! In Germany a lot of people like to have palms in their rooms. The most of them did not really know how difficult and special the cultivation of the tropical babies is.

The mean, to buy a palm and give it water and fertilizer is enough ...

Lytocaryum is a rare palm ... exactly for that reason. The industry of dealers and the interests of the customers show, the rare palms have no lobby anymore ... a few freaks make everything to keep them growing and make them feel good ... but the majority of hobby gardeners doesn´t like to waste time with efforts, only results count. That´s why the most people decide to buy Trachycarpus, Chamerops, Livistona etc ... those species are acclimatized and make no problems, especially outdoor.

Now and then you read about people who tried to cultivate L. Weddelianum. Let us say ... 98% of them collapsed.

Tobias Spanner (rarepalmseeds) offers the L. weddelianum from time to time, but rarer and rarer.

My intention is different from the general. Exactly the rare tropical feather palms I love. Lytocaryum is my favourite since nearly 20 years ... My 2 weddelianum are growing fantastic, the love my nurture and the work. :) It is warm, at least once a day they looking forward to a sull coating, It is important for me to give them as much natural conditions as necessary.

I am totally happy about your offer with the seeds. I would like to promise to to keep you updated in this. And I am sure that there is something what you like, too. I will find a way to show my gratefulness.

Gileno Machado wrote:

Verena, your palms all look great...I'm delighted here seeing you take care of nice indoor Areca catechu...in Westphalia.!!

..You should see me torturing Nikaus and Jubaeas down here as well :lol: Seriously, I guess you should try A. catechu, but the dwarf variety... I've just managed to germinate 100% of those seeds and they'll probably make terrific indoor palms for your climate, provided moist and eventually to be taken outside in summer. With so much palmbooster like that, you may need a taller baywindow for your standard catechus in no time... :)

:D Oh yes, I can imagine. :lol: Indeed, Areca is difficult to hold in Germany ... you have to invest a lot of time and take care in cultivating ... but it works. ;)

Gileno Machado wrote:

Not many Lytos available up here and only few nurseries have them for sale, coming from production in Rio, SP and down south. Seeds are mostly unavailable. These palms are usually slow growers in my climate, in bright light indoors they may take forever to fruit so they probably don't interest the local nurseries so much as Phoenix roebellenii and other faster growing guy$...and still, for indoors design they may just recommend Chamaedorea elegans and the omnipresent Dypsis lutescens (till it dies), ouch...

That is such a pity ... I always thought, Brazilia is THAT country for the Lytocaryum ... it is it home ... hmm ... it seems, that fans all over the world has to ensure the survive of this plant .. :( I hope not ...

Best regards, Verena

Hello Verena,

Welcome to the IPS PalmTalk Forum! Great to have another enthusiastic member in Germany, and your palms look great! :)

Aloha from Hawaii!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Aloha, Bo-Göran. :)

Thank you for the welcome and greetings back to the nice Isle. B) I like it here ... it is a pleasure to meet other palm enthusiastics, not only in Germany, but all over the world. This is a forum of good quality, but especially with a knowledge I ever have been looked for.

The most German forums discuss palms like Trachycarpus and Chamerops, typical European plants without much effort in cultivation.

But I´m interested in the other palms ... those we not find in general areas ... those, what generate a lot of work and looks sooo beautiful. ;)

Best regards, Verena

Edited by Z4Devil

Verena, I've had several Lytocaryum W.'s floating around here for a while. Most have gone to meet their maker. Your enthusiasm has tempted me to drop one in the ground.... it could happen...really.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Verena, I've had several Lytocaryum W.'s floating around here for a while. Most have gone to meet their maker. Your enthusiasm has tempted me to drop one in the ground.... it could happen...really.

Hey, my dear ... really? You are thinking about to drope one in the ground ... because of my enthusiasm / me? An amazing idea, I am touched. :)

And in case you have one left over, think of me. My heart for the dwarf babies is big enough to give them a home with love.

Please, keep us updated about your intention with dropping on L. weddelianum. I will upload some photos of my seedlings and seeds of L. weddelianum, 3 of them are protruding their heads ... totally cute. You all will be witnesses of their beginning lifes here in Germany. At the moment they are on a heather mat that works with infrared. They are growing fast, at least for German climatic conditions.

Let us found the ultimate Lytocaryum fan community. If you like it, I am the first member. :D Who wants to join uns?

Will be available only evening, it is time for lunch and after that we are in the garden.

Does anybody like broiler (roast chicken) with red cabbage and potato dumplings? Feel invited. *bg*

Best regards, Verena

Hey, my dear ... really? You are thinking about to drope one in the ground ... because of my enthusiasm / me? An amazing idea, I am touched. :)

And in case you have one left over, think of me. My heart for the dwarf babies is big enough to give them a home with love.

Please, keep us updated about your intention with dropping on L. weddelianum. I will upload some photos of my seedlings and seeds of L. weddelianum, 3 of them are protruding their heads ... totally cute. You all will be witnesses of their beginning lifes here in Germany. At the moment they are on a heather mat that works with infrared. They are growing fast, at least for German climatic conditions.

Let us found the ultimate Lytocaryum fan community. If you like it, I am the first member. :D Who wants to join uns?

Will be available only evening, it is time for lunch and after that we are in the garden.

Does anybody like broiler (roast chicken) with red cabbage and potato dumplings? Feel invited. *bg*

Best regards, Verena

Hi Verena,

Count me in then for the International Lytocarium Society :D

I love roast chicken!

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Gileno, great. I will change my signature this evening, at the moment we are relaxing in our garden and enjoy the sun of May. :)

You love roast chicken? Good. :D If you ever are in Germany,you will get the full program of the typical German cuisine.

Gileno, please don't forget me. ;) I love to receive mail from Brasilia.

All the best, Verena :)

Dear all,

it is me again. I have asked some postings before, if anybody knows or can confirm, that 3 known species of the Lytocaryum palm are communicated.

Cagary mentioned, L. insigne is a synonym for L. weddelianum. On the other hand in the Generum Palmarum they talk about 3 species (weddelianum, hoehnei and insigne).

Background of my request is an offer I received yesterday evening; I could buy a L. insigne.

Therefore it would be helpful to know, if insigne is actual a different species or a synonym for weddelianum. The web gives conflicting information.

Thank you in advance and best regards, Verena :)

Verena,

Are you referring to the old Genera Palmarum published in 1987? There's a new version, Genera Palmarum 2, which was published late last year. No reference to 'insigne' in the new GP2, and they only talk about two valid names, hoehnei and weddellianum.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo-Göran,

thank you for the quick reply, every information is needed and welcome. :)

To be honest ... I do not really know which edition of GP I have. I guess it is the older Version. I have bought it sometimes at the beginning of the 90ies, and yes, I remember ... there I read some facts about L. insigne. Please note, besides (!) weddelianum an hoehnei.

I am a little bit unsure because of the following:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?313445

http://www.archive.org/stream/preliminarys...15glas_djvu.txt (scroll a little bit down or search for "insigne"

Anywhere they wrote that insigne is a synonym for weddelianum, it seems to be an own, special plant.

However, I have received an offer to buy L. insigne ... and I will do that. I´m sure all of you are able to help me when I try to find out which species it is. Hope dies at last ... and so ... I will do it.

Keep you updated, promised.

Gileno is no online, I guess he is a specialist on Lytocaryum B)

Best regards, Verena

Verena,

You definitely have the older version of Genera Palmarum. Which is an excellent book - except that it's been 22 years since it was published and there have been MANY name changes since then as well as new genera and species discovered. The new book, which we simply refer to as GP2, has more than 700 pages and is VERY comprehensive. Plus, lots of photos! Go to the IPS website, www.palms.org, for more information.

I believe the Kew site that cagary mentioned is the most up-to-date site for valid names. You can always go to the Share-a-Site sub-forum (further down on page 1 of PalmTalk), and simply type in the genus name in the box. In this case, Lytocaryum. That will give you ALL the names, valid or not. The names in bold are the valid names. For the others, simply click on the name and it will take you to another page, which will show the valid name for that particular palm.

Bo-Göran

Uuuuuuaaaaaah ... *sniff*

Bo-Göran ... that is not really the information I liked to hear ... :(:D

I guess you are right with my versio of GP. Even my edition is comprehensive, the GP2 is it more without any doubt.

Anyway ... there is a little rest of optimizm ... how the optimist says? "The bottle is not half-empty but half-ful" *bg*

Giiiiileeeeenooooooo ... where are you wenn they need you? :lol:

Best regards, Verena

Dear Verena,

I'm not a Lytocaryum specialist, by any means...Just a newbie amateur collector like you...and we share the same admiration for these small palms...(By the way, count me in for the International Lyto Society, together with you and Kai from Netherlands :winkie: ).

I don't have the old version of Genera Palmarum but I bought the new Genera Palmarum II a few months ago through the IPS website and I found it an excellent scientific book, describing in detail most inter-generic characters. The book mentions 2 species now but it doesn't list or detail the accepted species for each existing genus.

I did a little research in other books available here: "Field Guide to the Palms of the Americas" (Henderson, Galeano and Bernal) and "Palmeiras Brasileiras e exóticas cultivadas" (Lorenzi, Medeiros Costa, Souza, Cerqueira and Ferreira) and here's what I found:

Both books consider only L. weddellianum and L. hoehnei as valid species (now they are at least 3). According to Lorenzi et al, the former genus Microcoelum (Microcoelum insigne, (hort. ex Drude) Burret & Potztal, has been lumped into Lytocaryum.

Genera Palmarum II mentions that: "The taxonomic account is from Glassman (1987)". Also, "The only difference between Microcoelum and Lytocaryum is the nature of the endosperm; otherwise the two taxa are very similar. Thus, Microcoelum is placed as synonymy. Lytocaryum, in the present sense, has a combination of characters unusual in the subtribe Butiinae."

Henderson et all, mentions: "This small and poorly known genus is closely related to Syagrus. (...). Lytocaryum contains two species which are narrowly distributed in southeastern Brazil in the Atlantic Coastal Forest. The genus is closely related to Syagrus, and the two species accepted here have at various times been included in that genus or in small segregate genera (e.g. Microcoelum). Glassman (1987) maintained the two species in separate genera, Lytocaryum and Microcoelum, but we have followed Uhl and Dransfield (1987) in placing them together. We accept only two species even though both Glassman and Uhl and Dransfield recognized three." (???)

As you can see, taxonomists don't always agree about two palm species being the same, sometimes even the genus is questioned...and sometimes the genus splits and later comes back...

From my humble amateur collector's point of view, Biology is definitely not an exact Science, like Math and Physics, and that's what makes it so passionately interesting. Maybe someday, with advanced Genetics and other studies there'll be unquestionable proof of differential taxonomic descriptions...and even then, the natural evolutionary process will still demand periodical reviews. For the time being, I'd risk to say that there's a lot of observing and guessing involved in the process...therefore you should be glad to find a Lytocaryum insigne, be it a separate species or just a weddellianum variety...please let us see pictures of your baby palm when it arrives, and make sure to cook me some of this roast chicken when I visit you someday too...

Gileno ... any of your words sounds sooooooo good to me. I thank you very much, you saved my hope without knowing that. Please ... who is interested in the bosh of some botanical scientists? :D :D :D

Between the lines I noted your 3 question marks ... THEY are all I need.

Even when the insigne that is on it´s way to me is nothing than a weddelianum ... who cares? At the end of times I stick my tongue out at them and know: the insigne lives!

You are a member of our small fan society, too? Fantastic, I would like to adnace you to the member of the board. B) Kai, give me a feedback and you are added. :D

As soon the plant arrives you will get photos of it. Maybe ... but only maybe ... there is an option to say ... NO, weddelianum looks different.

Love, Verena :)

Gileno, Verena and others -

Beautiful and interesting is this Lytocaryum palm species! As pictured above in an earlier post, I do have two of the species: L. weddelianum and L. hoehnei. I'd love getting the new species some day too. Lytocaryum weddelianum is sometimes found for sale here in Hawaii. I find L. hoehnei to be a little less delicate looking than L. weddelianum but equally as beautiful. I'd love to be included in the Internationa Lytocaryum Group (Society), as it is one of my favorite small palms as well.

Al in Kona

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al, absolutely agree. :)

L. weddelianum and hoehnei I also try to cultivate. For German climate conditions with respectable success.

The first mentioned L. weddelianum grows really visible since a few days. I will upload a photo at the next weekend. I am quite sure you will be surprised.

Gileno, Verena and others -

Beautiful and interesting is this Lytocaryum palm species! As pictured above in an earlier post, I do have two of the species: L. weddelianum and L. hoehnei. I'd love getting the new species some day too. Lytocaryum weddelianum is sometimes found for sale here in Hawaii. I find L. hoehnei to be a little less delicate looking than L. weddelianum but equally as beautiful. I'd love to be included in the Internationa Lytocaryum Group (Society), as it is one of my favorite small palms as well.

Al in Kona