IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

the Fruit Hunters book recommendation

Central Floridave

My friends, I would like to recommend a new book called 'The Fruit Hunters' by Adam Leith Gollner

It's byline is "A Story of Nature, Adventure, Commerce, and OBSESSION"

I'm half way through the book, but without finishing I wanted to shout this book out to everyone. Its a good one.

The author is from Canada and he travels the world researching/interviewing various fruit and the people that are obsessed about them. I'm currently reading the 7th chapter that is titled "the Lady Fruit" It is about the Coco-de-mer and how cherished and illegal it is in the Seychelles. Chapter 7 is worth the price of the book alone. Its great.

Earlier in the book he travelled to Hawaii and South Florida. It is a great summer read.

If they gave out Pulitzer prize strictly for gardening books, Adam Leith Gollner would win it with this book! He writes like a contemporary Dr. David Fairchild (who is also written about in the book). There are many palm references also in the book as palms provide a lot of different edible fruits around the world.

Google it. Plant freaks, especially people who like to grow their own fruit, will cherish it.

later.

I need to get that book. Tropical fruit was my first plant obsession.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Never grown fruit in my life, but I think I'm eaten up enough with the hunt for palms that I could enjoy this read... Ebay has em for 19 bucks delivered to my doorstep. Thanks for the recommend Dave.

I agree with C. Floridave. While I have only read the first three chapters, I can hardly put this book down, even with so many other things taking away my time. It offers a concise and clearly written understanding of obsession due to the plant world and the inherent adventures, history, and amazing diversity that all interconnect to make plant knowledge so fascinating and rewarding.

You have me hooked. Just ordered a copy.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I'm sold on it just reading this thread.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's a very well written review on this book

Book review

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I just ordered a copy off ebay as well.... Tropical fruit growing was my first passion, next thing you know, you meet a couple of palm growing nuts.... wammo... hooked on palms as well

Jeff.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I got mine from Amazon for $16.95. Combined it with another book I had wanted to raise total so I got free shipping too.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I just finished the book tonight. Not an easy thing for me to do with my short attention span. It maintains its entertainment value to the end. It gets a little political, but he brings it back with interviewing silly people in California and others. The ending could've been a little better, but it seems like the author got tired of writing about fruits. There is a lot of info that he threw out there. Lets hope his next book is about Palm Collectors as they/we share the same traits and obsession of collecting the rare and exotic just like fruit people. My plant addiction started on tropical fruit with the Mango and moved over to the other stuff (lychee, longan, citrus, etc etc). Palms came into my life mid-stream and now I have a garden full of fruit trees and palms! This book was right up my alley. Check it out. Its a good one.