IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis cabadae suspect

JD in the OC

And another of the crown

DSCF4068JPG.jpg

& another

DSCF4059JPG.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

& last, another of the entire plant

DSCF4063JPG.jpg

The leaflets on both of the palms are not plumose at all & neither have clumped even though they look like they are, they were multi planted in large 25 litre bags when they were purchased 5 years ago (they have been particually fast growers). There would be 12 to 15 feet of clear trunk on the largest of the two.

• Upvote 1

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

All the clues point to D. cabadae x decaryi on that one, especially those V'd leaflets. We are going to pick one of these up next week for our nursery. More pics to come then...

Some photos I've taken this morning of three different D. cabadae in different gardens around town;

100366746.jpg

1. My neighbour's. This is actually a much older plant than it looks, because they are in the habit of felling its trunks when they get big, and then allowing new basal sprouts to regenerate.

100366748.jpg

1. Close up of leaf-sheathes on upper stem.

100366749.jpg

2. Different plant, same practice - large, original trunk felled, just visible as a stump to the left.

100366750.jpg

2. Close up of leaf-sheathes on upper stem.

Peter Richardson

Mareeba, north Queensland

17° S, 440 metres asl

100366752.jpg

3. This one is flowering and fruiting.

100366753.jpg

3. Close-up of sheathes on upper stem. Notice the auricle-like protusions on the shoulders of each leaf-sheath.

100366754.jpg

3. Linear pinnae

100366755.jpg

3. Flower panicle, branched to three orders.

Edited by tanetahi

Peter Richardson

17° S, 440 metres asl

100366757.jpg

3. Immature fruit.

100366758.jpg

3. Tip of frond, with the intrafoliar flower panicles visible on the larger trunk behind.

100366759.jpg

3. The stem bases, showing what appears to be axillary branching.

100366760.jpg

3. Another closeup, showing the angular auricle-like protrusions on the shoulders of the sheathes.

Plenty of scurfy, waxy bloom, but seemingly no scales.

Peter Richardson

17° S, 440 metres asl

Some photos of my own young Dypsis pembana. There is immediately apparent plant-to-plant variation among them. All are from the same seedlot, and are the clump-forming type.

100366761.jpg

A frond of the plant with the most broadly lanceolate pinnae.

100366762.jpg

Frond of the plant with the narrowest pinnae.

100366763.jpg

Fimbriate scales on the culm-sheathes vary widely from plant to plant. On this one they are dense.

100366765.jpg

On this one, the waxy farinose bloom is much more in evidence, and the scales appear to be more thinly scattered.

Peter Richardson

17° S, 440 metres asl

Dypsis pembana: the callus pads in the adaxial petiolar sulcus.

100368664.jpg

Edited by tanetahi

Peter Richardson

17° S, 440 metres asl

Very good photos Peter. Is there any ramenta present on the abaxial side of the leaflets on the true D. cabadae?

- no, as far as I can see - the rachis and abaxial pinna surfaces are glabrous. These photos aren't focussed, because the sun was going down, and I was being verbally abused by young Aboriginals in the street as I took them!

100503322.jpg

100503324.jpg

100503326.jpg

Peter Richardson

17° S, 440 metres asl

I forgot to photograph the callus-pads of this species first time round so here are some.

100503328.jpg

100503330.jpg

Peter Richardson

17° S, 440 metres asl

These are really nice pictures guys. I've enjoyed reading through this thread. I have no idea what the mystery palm is, but I want one. Dypsis will have us totally confused forever I think, and throw in hybrids and the confusion goes up ten fold. What I'd love to see is a D leptocheilos X cabadae, or a D leptocheilos X decipiens. Imagine a cold hardy redneck that has huge trunks and clumps.

So the big thing in question in this thread is who the daddy is. We may never know, but he was probably very nice. :)

To me the more the confusion the more the fun with this genus. :)

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Tyrone,

D leptocheilos X cabadae exist and it is a killer plant. Look at Dave Garden to see pictures.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

• 9 years later...

bump

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)