IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Syagrus hybrid schizophylla

Jim in Los Altos

Braden- It looks like you took my bigger one! I better check! :P

Seriously, I know Jungle Jacks place was at at least 23F, possibly lower as this thread was right before the Jan. 2007 cold event!. MIne look OK, but once planted they will look much better. Sadly, I rarely pay attention to them in a pot and a box... :(

The cold didn't faze them at all!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Yesterday Patrick Schafer brought me a Schiz X Queen with 4 strap fronds to try in my climate. It has very glossy fronds and a heavy texture like Schizophylla. The seedling came from Rick Leitner's tree in Ft. Lauderdale so it's from Florida lineage, and I presume it's an F2.

Dick

• Upvote 2

Richard Douglas

I have Syagrus xMontgomeryana seedlings and seeds available. There is a BIG difference between F1 and F2. F1 are much prettier and faster in my opinion. F2 are usually back-crossed and could look more like schizo or roman.

PM me if interested (F1's are hand-pollinated by me)

F1 seedling $100ea

F2 2gal $50ea

F1 seeds $10ea

JD

Naughty Rafael, you are such a greedy boy.

Peachy

• Upvote 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

This is indeed a great palm. I wish I had planted it in a more noticeable spot than on the side of my house. It was planted out as a 3 gallon palm in 2004 and is now towering over the roofline and drops seeds like no tomorrow. I purposely left some seeds beneath the palm to see if they naturally germinated, and some did. It gets very little sunshine, which I think limited germination.

This palm is fast, can withstand drought, periodic flooding, and suffered no damage whatsoever at 36F. The only drawback, like all other in this genus, is that it is NOT self cleaning, and without proper pruning, some may think the palm looks ratty with dead fronds hanging.

Currenly, I have been cutting the inflorescence off before maturity because I just can't keep up with the height, bees, and my neighbors complaining about the flowers dropping (it hangs over the fence much of the time!).

I purchased this palm as a Queen palm, but knowing it was a bit different and unique at the time, I purchased this one. I had a strong feeling it was a cross with schizophyllum and it was.

I can't recommend it enough.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

" Looks great, nice cycads too, very well done "

Thanx Palmzilla ! I've really tried hard to mix Cycads and Palms in my garden and keep a good growing condition for both.

Robert.

Jim,I've found with the 2 I'm growing they do fairly well in all light conditions as long as I keep them wet.(once a week in winter and 3 times a week in hotter conditions)

Good luck Justin! I really don't think you'll need it though! Good job!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

:interesting:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 years later...

bump on that fo ya

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 4 years later...

Anyone care to post pictures of their romanzoffiana x schizo trees 10 years later? I just bought one of these in a 5 gallon. This post is from 2006 so surely those palms in the earlier pictures are getting pretty big! 

Edited by Jdiaz31089

Wow, has it been ten years?! Mine has grown to fifteen feet tall. Not huge for ten years of passage but the fronds are big at twelve feet long. I will try to get a decent picture of it soon. It's hard to because it's in very close proximity to several other palms. 

• Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

It's now actually closer to 20 feet tall and, as I mentioned before, sort of difficult to photograph.

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

• Upvote 4

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

22 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

It's now actually closer to 20 feet tall and, as I mentioned before, sort of difficult to photograph.

I like how upright this palm is. I bet with a bit more sun it might spread out more. 

19 hours ago, Jdiaz31089 said:

This is mine, i put her in the ground yesterday ^_^^_^

20161123_080659.thumb.jpg.c616088018ae96

Looks good Josue.  I will be curious to see how it does with our cold foggy winters.  It will probably do fine for you with the urban heat island.  This is one hybrid that I have not had the courage to be a guinea pig yet.  Seems like this cross is becoming more common now.

• Upvote 1

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

3 hours ago, iwan said:

Looks good Josue.  I will be curious to see how it does with our cold foggy winters.  It will probably do fine for you with the urban heat island.  This is one hybrid that I have not had the courage to be a guinea pig yet.  Seems like this cross is becoming more common now.

Iwan, I'd love to see what kind of stuff you're growing. Are you in the Ranchos/foothill aread or on the valley floor?

• 7 months later...

My partner and I started doing this hybrid back in October. The seeds held on the tree forever. We just recently planted 2000 of them and will be collecting more for the next several months. We did not get very good germination last time we did it. Only about 20%. We are hoping the results turn out better this year.

19512600_10156329233783626_1319176033_n.jpg

19022001_10156253957563626_489661431_n.jpg

19075161_10156253957903626_379995131_n.jpg

15683125_10155617631238626_754571023_n.jpg

16736519_10155829236753626_426097818_n.jpg

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, ErikSJI said:

My partner and I started doing this hybrid back in October. The seeds held on the tree forever. We just recently planted 2000 of them and will be collecting more for the next several months. We did not get very good germination last time we did it. Only about 20%. We are hoping the results turn out better this year.

19512600_10156329233783626_1319176033_n.jpg

19022001_10156253957563626_489661431_n.jpg

19075161_10156253957903626_379995131_n.jpg

15683125_10155617631238626_754571023_n.jpg

I see you have a guard snake...to keep the rats from getting those seed.  I bet it'd scare off some people too.  Are the 20% that germinated last year growing quickly?

• Upvote 2

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

6 hours ago, ErikSJI said:

Erik, to capture the seeds well, do you bag them or cover them in any way? Or just walk around the tree and pick them off the ground after they've fallen?

JT

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

8 hours ago, JT in Japan said:

Erik, to capture the seeds well, do you bag them or cover them in any way? Or just walk around the tree and pick them off the ground after they've fallen?

JT

JT we bag them with onion sacks.

12 hours ago, Keith in SoJax said:

I see you have a guard snake...to keep the rats from getting those seed.  I bet it'd scare off some people too.  Are the 20% that germinated last year growing quickly?

Yeah the snake freaked me out at first. From what I hear the 20% are not growing quicker then a typical queen.

I think we had the same species guarding one of our chairs yesterday morning.  I'm pretty sure it was hunting those noisy Cuban Tree Frogs. 

Chair Snake 1 - 1.png

Chair Snake 2 - 1.png

• Upvote 2

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A good trick to sprouting syagrus ( or most tough germinating seeds) is to get air tight containers, and fill it close to the top with moist moss.  Set the seeds on the moss, don't cover them.  Then place them on heat mats around 82-85.  Check the moisture level every few days to make sure it not to dry or wet.  This method keeps the seeds drier since they sit above the moss but get watered as the heat from the mats creates a natural condensation.  It pushes the water to the lid of the container, then drops down on the seeds over time.  After using this method I went from 40-50% queen palm germination to 90%, and got the germination in as little as 7 days compared to a 30+ using a method similar to the pictures above.  Only trick is the seeds have to 110% clean and sterile or it will become a fungus farm.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 11/24/2016, 7:17:35, iwan said:

Iwan, maybe you can try this one out. Two winters and no issues with this one at all. 

Screenshot_20180308-100300.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looking great Josue.  For the most part, I am over zone pushing.  If the mother was S. Rom, I might be more inclined, but even standard queens were killed in the valley in 1998 and 2007.  You are averaging up to a full zone warmer in the city so your pallet is much wider.  

There are many new hybrids showing up with hardier bloodlines to provide new growing opportunities and hopefully survive our next freeze disaster.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2006‎ ‎11‎:‎34‎:‎27‎, BS Man about Palms said:

Hey Jim, here is mine. It was one of the few left that was a 5 gal so I paid much less, we'll see. As I metioned some time back, Jack Ingwerson had done the last crosses and they had 24" box sizes for sale....MUCH more costly!

Joe Palma bought one, maybe he could post a pic. His looks pretty nice

post-27-1158507267_thumb.jpg

Did it ever get planted? :huh:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B