Majestic Palms - How to encorage new fronds to open

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ken A

Ken A

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:30 AM

How can we help otherwise heathy palm fronds open? Mine seem to get long but take forever to open - perhaps 3-4 months after maximum length obtained. Temperature 80-90+ degrees F, good sunlight with western exposure.

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 osideterry

osideterry

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

My Kentias are taking forever to open, with some spears "glued" together. I've been spraying the spears weekly with Neem Oil, and they seem to be opening as a result.

For the most part, I don't think your supposed to force the issue with them. The first fronds after winter are always goofy... pushing out open, spear doesn't want to open, etc. Mine are still affected by last year's freeze, and each trunk is one ugly leaf and a spear.
Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22
7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)
Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)
Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

#3 Ken A

Ken A

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:38 AM

How can we help otherwise heathy palm fronds open? Mine seem to get long but take forever to open - perhaps 3-4 months after maximum length obtained. Temperature 80-90+ degrees F, good sunlight with western exposure.

#4 Ken A

Ken A

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:45 AM

Thanks for the information and suggestion... I will search & find our what "neem oil" is. Typically, I only get over winter spears like you described & they take until winter to open leaving an ugly trunk with just one or two pretty fronds until Sept-Oct. so they can look good in the garage over winter!

I am hoping to get some more feedback in addition to what you have offered as well!

Ken A

#5 osideterry

osideterry

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:02 AM

I'm not sure where I got the idea to try a horticultural oil... possibly from this forum. Volk or any horticultural oil would work just as well. I'm positive my kentia spears opening is from the oil.

I'm sure others will share advice and experience. I wouldn't try manually opening the spears by hand.

#6 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,839 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

Neem oil is traditionally used as an insecticide/fungicide for which it works incredilble well. It should be available at any big box like Lowe's. That is where I got mine. But, I have to think that the main ingredient needed here is plain old water.

In my post I sometimes express "MY" opinion.   Please do not feel insulted if your opinion differs from my opinion.  That is fine.  You get to have one, I get to have one.  Its kind of like they teach you in Kindergarten, but we don't even have to share.  Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

#7 bubba

bubba

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,843 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 12:53 PM

Terry,Off-topic but great new Avatar.You should copyright it.
"Be kind, for everyone you encounter is fighting a great battle."
Philo

#8 osideterry

osideterry

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

Bubba - I can't because it's an actual gas station sign. I drove by it one day and thought "hey, that's my new avatar!."

#9 epicure3

epicure3

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:00 PM

I think you just let them open on their own.
Coastal San Diego, California
Z10b
Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean
warm summer/mild winter

#10 galveston1602

galveston1602

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:08 PM

Anytime I get a spear that wont open, I attribute it to "growing a larger ring" in the ringed trunk species. It seems like sometimes my palms will get a wild hair and grow a really long spear, and it just wont open, then when that same frond gets removed, the ring it forms is usually a little wider. (yes ive spent the time to test this, bored i suppose)
Allen
Galveston Island Tx
9a/9b
8' Elevation
Sandy Soil
Jan Avgs 50/62
Jul Avgs 80/89
Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users