IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PERU....IPS POST TOUR 2008

Jeff Searle

When the IPS Biennial in Costa Rica ended, my wife Andrea,our good friends Judy and Jim Glock and myself returned home for only a short period of 1 day and then caught another flight out of Miami for a 6 hour flight down to Peru. We just had enough time at home to get our dirty clothes cleaned and then repacked, mow the grass,go to the nursery and plant some newly acquired seeds from CR, check on our pets, eat a good meal and one good night of sleep back in our own bed.

We were on our way to stay at Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica in Tambopata, Peru. This reserve is 678,774 acres or 274,690 hectare in size. To get there, one must take a boat ride down the Madre de Dios River from the small town of Puerto Maldonado. This takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there. This rainforest offers a wealth of biodiversity of which some 480 different bird species have been recorded. Included are toucans, flycatchers, and macaws. Also you might get lucky and see one of many varities of monkey's, otters, tapirs, tamarins or one of four species of cats.

The weather was extreamly nice this time of the year, with overnight temp's around 70 degrees F. We had very little rain at all.

I will post pictures soon........ :)

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Tease.

Is Ryan gonna show you how? :rolleyes:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Here we are after we just arrived at the Puerto Maldanado Airport.

Jeff

post-23-1212854037_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

After we landed, I only then found out that if we had come the week before, this would have been our plane we would have arrived on. They just "retired" her for good.

Bo,

Any clues on what were looking at? Make, model, year, etc. Maybe some flight history.

Jeff

post-23-1212854328_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Ha, Ha, I was just kidding about the old plane. ( I'm sure a few of you believed me)

After a short ride to Inkaterra's office, and signed a few papers, we then drove down to the river bank to board our boat.

This is looking down with Judy Glock making her way there.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Judy.....

post-23-1212854680_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Judy and Andrea all ready to go.

post-23-1212854774_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Of course, Jim and I, were ready too.

post-23-1212854995_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Dear 007 Jeff :)

iam eagerly waiting for the stills,but little sad to see those tour images in thumbnails mode...but anyway iam shure will see lots of new things... :hmm:

thanks & love,

Kris :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Right next to our boat, I noticed this small crane unloading large planks of wood that had just come in.

Jeff

post-23-1212934650_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Another....

post-23-1212934713_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A few moments after we landed, we walked a short distance to be greeted and found our way to the restaurant area. I believe the large palm on the right is Attalea butyracea.

post-23-1213032842_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This is our beautiful bungalow that we stayed in. Complete with electric for only about 4 in the evening, bottle water, hot showers, and a ceiling fan above the beds.

Jeff

post-23-1213033181_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This was our twin beds, complete with mosquito netting, which we really didn't need.

Jeff

post-23-1213033281_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A layout of the grounds where most of the bungalows were situated. The grounds were kept very cleaned and well manicured. And every evening before it got dark, one of the employees would come to each bungalow and light the 6-7 lanterns that were provided.

Jeff

post-23-1213033495_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

More! What the hell happened after the lanters got lit??

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

More! What the hell happened after the lanters got lit??

It got dark,,,what do you think?

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This was a small, but old Phytelephas specie.

post-23-1213141387_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The very silvery underside of an Astrocaryum murmuru leaf.

post-23-1213141540_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

And the trunk of the same showing the trunk covered in spines.

Jeff

post-23-1213143517_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looking up into a tall Iriartea palm with damaged leaves from the local parrots.

post-23-1213143621_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff - any more Cham. fragrans seed in the near future?

Danny,

I'm not sure. I probably could get some if I asked my contact. But he probably would want to send a minimum of 1,000 seeds to make it worth while. At the moment, I still have plenty of plants and really don't need more. I guess if I had enough people that expressed interest, I could then buy some and just re-sell them.

As far as seeing them while down there for the biennial, we were not in the right locale and therefore didn't see any of them growing. BUT, we did see a new one for me, C. angustisecta, a real pretty one that has a beautiful pattern of white modeling throughout the trunk and up into the petioles. Extreamly nice.....and I would presume pretty rare in cultivation. There's a good pic. of it in Don Hodel's Chamaedorea book. This I was able to bring back a few seeds of and will have sml. plants in the near future.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff for the photos, hoping for a similar experience on a trip later on this year to the Ecuadorian rain forest, canoe trip and all. From all the descriptions in the literature it sounds very much like the logistics of your trip. I hope so anyway. How were the bugs? They just love me.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Jeff,

I hope there are more photos to come! I'm enjoying this thread. Always been fascinated by the Amazonas region, and it looks like you had a great trip.

That plane in Post #4 is an Antonov An-2. Designed, and initially built, in Russia this type first flew in 1947. Production was transferred to the PZL factory in Poland in the 1960s and production continued until the early 1990s, at which time more than 15,000 An-2s had been built, most of them in Poland. A few were completed as recently as 2002 and sold to Vietnam, so flying in one of these is a definite possibility if you're out in the boonies in some country like Vietnam or Russia, or even Peru. Quite a few were exported to Peru, but with no visible registration on the one you saw I can't provide a history for that particular airframe. Like almost all Soviet built aircraft, the An-2 is built like a truck and can take a lot of punishment. It's designed to fly into remote airports with gravel runways. Many thousand of them are still flying to this day.

Bo-Göran

PS - there are even a number of An-2s flying here in the USA. Most were imported after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Here's a somewhat unusual sight of An-2 with U.S. registration N87AN and still in Lithuanian Airlines colors, at Valdez, Alaska, a few years ago. Photo credit Airliners.net.

post-22-1213227214_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Holy mackerel Bo! very impressive information. Jeff probably would have liked to have known that about the plane before the trip. I wouldn't be surprised if I'll be on the same type of aircraft. Have any idea how many are still flying.....looking for some reassurance here. I'll take pictures.

Jeff, were there a good variety of organized tours given by the lodge?

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

... BUT, we did see a new one for me, C. angustisecta, ....This I was able to bring back a few seeds of and will have sml. plants in the near future.

Jeff

Jeff:

I'll trade you some Cyrtostachys. Nobody has Cyrtostachys.

Larry Davis

Time flies like an arrow,

But fruit flies like a banana

Thanks Jeff for the photos, hoping for a similar experience on a trip later on this year to the Ecuadorian rain forest, canoe trip and all. From all the descriptions in the literature it sounds very much like the logistics of your trip. I hope so anyway. How were the bugs? They just love me.

Tim

Tim,

As far as bugs goes, their definitely outhere if you know what I mean. Besides snakes, spiders would be something to watch out for. And all throughout the trip, we came across millions of leaf-cutter ants going across the trails. So yes, do be aware of your surroundings, and you'll be find.

To answer your other question in regrds to organized tours and stuff, yes, our lodge was very organized and had tours every day going in a different direction. Our guides were exceptional too.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bo,

Thanks for the good and interesting information. I knew I could count on you. :) As soon as we got off our plane and looked over and saw this one sitting there, I instantly thought of you. See, you were in Peru and didn't even know it!Thanks,

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A closer look at a Iriartea with seeds and an un-openned spike coming behind.

post-23-1213235476_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Carlos was our guide for the 3 days. A great guide who knew his stuff really well.

post-23-1213235596_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

One of many parrots that would come into our lodge every afternoon and allow us to photograph them.

post-23-1213235728_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

In the forest next to our bungalows, we found a handfull of a rare Chamaedorea growing. C. angustisecta. It typically has this lime green/almost white mottled color running through it's trunk and petioles. I should have a better pic. of this plant a little later.

Jeff

post-23-1213236016_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A close-up of the flower spike, but no seeds.

post-23-1213236107_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks for the info Jeff, although the rain forest is what it is, not going to worry about it. Glad the 'Palms of the America's' is a relatively small handbook, I'm sure I'll be flipping pages the whole trip. Can hardly wait for the experience.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Don and Heather Martin who are from the San Diego area.

post-23-1213317347_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here's Judy Glock leading the way. As a group, we had to climb this steep inline or go down very slowly everytime we used the boat.

Jeff

post-23-1213317488_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Andrea, Heather with Judy in the background at the beginning of park.

post-23-1213317562_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Day #2

We were told the night before that we would be going by boat to Lake Sandoval the next morning. This is part of Tambopata National Park. We would get a wake up "knock" on our bungalows at 5:00 am, have breakfast and leave on the boat by 6:00am. It was approx. 30 minutes down the river. And here's the entrance to the park.

Jeff

post-23-1213318044_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

From the park entrance, we walked probably around 30-45 minutes to reach the edge of the lake where the canoes were waiting for us. On the way, we came across this one and only purple flowering vine, of which no one knew the name.

Jeff

post-23-1213318264_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.