IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pre-Biennial Trip to Corcovado

Jeff Searle

Andrea and I decided to jump at the oppurtunity to visit Corcovado National Park while in Costa Rica for the biennial. This is an area that I always wanted to see, but in my previous visits to Costa Rica, I was never able to plan for a trip to this vast rainforest down in the OSA peninsula.

To get there, we took a 12 seater airplane ride down to a small town called Palmar Sur. From there, we boarded a small boat which we then took for a 2 hour boat ride on the Rio Sierpe to the mouth of the Pacific Ocean, then followed the coast line until we reached our jungle lodge.

Here's Andrea getting ready to board our flight.

Jeff

post-23-1212200214_thumb.jpg

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This was the smallest plane ride for the both of us, which made for a very interesting and enjoyable flight. Here's a view out the window.

Jeff

post-23-1212200671_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Another view.

post-23-1212200753_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

While we were on the boat enjoying our ride through the mangroves, our guide slowed the boat down when he spotted these very small bats clinging to this log over the water. They were smaller than the palm of your hand.

Jeff

post-23-1212201145_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

As we approached the beach, our boat captain did a great job navigating the boat through these large boulders to get us safely up on the beach. We finally arrived at Casa Corcovado.

Jeff

post-23-1212201461_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Go Jeff Go!! More pics!!

I miss you guys!

BS Man,

Ryans older brother...

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

This was our view of the beautiful lodge after we got off the tractor ride that brought us up the hill.

Jeff

post-23-1212201737_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The bar where you could order all types of drinks and relax.

Jeff

post-23-1212201837_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

And the restaurant.

Jeff

post-23-1212202029_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I've been awaiting your photos Jeff! Hope you have more, let's see them!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Jeff,

Between your thread and Kim's thread I'm getting an excellent picture of what the trip was like. And I regret not going! :( And you flew there in the exact same little Cessna 208, and took photos of it from almost the exact same angle!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

One of the most abundant palms found in this forest is Asterogyne martiana. They were growing everywhere, but not really seeding at this time.

Jeff

post-23-1212266816_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This beatiful palm trunk is Welfia regia. A palm theat thrives in wet,humid forest.

Jeff

post-23-1212266955_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

There were many,many massive trees growing in this park, some of which reportedly were well over 500 years old.

I might mention,Corcovado National Park is the last remaining Pacific lowland rainforest of great size in all of Central America. It has 13 different ecosystems, with almost 1,000 species of trees, and nearly 400 species of birds. Also, here in the park is the largest populations of tapirs, jaguars and scalet macaws.

Jeff

post-23-1212267937_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

This unusual flowering tree was not actually growing in the park, but right on the property line of the lodge's property I think.

Jeff

post-23-1212268456_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Many bromeliads growing up in a tree.

post-23-1212268536_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

While out on a trail with our guide, we came across this little Eyelash Vipor snake. Not knowing at the time, we would later see another one on the trail in the Braulio Carrillo National Park during the biennial.

Jeff

post-23-1212268823_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Red leaf of the Welfia regia palm.

post-23-1212268920_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, I was always looking at going to the Corcovado National Park while I was there, but it took too much time to drive close to it. I was going to stay at an eco lodge just north of Golfito on the Pacific coast. I pulled in, sweating, found out there is no AC, & decided to head north to Dominical. I can stand the heat during the day walking & working, but it was very humid during the night there. How did you fare with the overhead fans in your room at night? Was it comfortable? Good job trail blazer.

It's about time Jeff! What have you been doing? :mrlooney:

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing... more please! :)

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

Jeff, I was always looking at going to the Corcovado National Park while I was there, but it took too much time to drive close to it. I was going to stay at an eco lodge just north of Golfito on the Pacific coast. I pulled in, sweating, found out there is no AC, & decided to head north to Dominical. I can stand the heat during the day walking & working, but it was very humid during the night there. How did you fare with the overhead fans in your room at night? Was it comfortable? Good job trail blazer.

Mike,

Our accomodations could not have been better. We had cut flowers in the room each day, a spaciuos bed for two, and the ceiling fan was just fine. We also had hot water showers too. They even provided a flashlight and umbrellas for each room. Oh, and bath robes for the guest as well.They pretty much thought of everything. If you or anyone else ever gets the chance to go, please do so, it's well worth it.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Angela,

Thanks. I was alittle slow in getting my pictures up. But, after the biennial was over, we flew back into Fort Lauderdale and slept at the house and then with Judy and Jim Glock, we left the following midnight ( Sunday,Mother's Day) and took a flight out of Miami for Peru for the Post Tour( which I will do a thread on),we were there for 4 days and then came home. Then we drove down to Key West to go fishing and "to quench our thirst" for a long 4 day Memorial weekend. So, when I got back, I wanted to just chill several days and nights. May was a very busy month for me...... :rolleyes: . More pics. to follow.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

I hope you are going to post more photos. I took 9 rolls of film in just 3 days on the Osa, so I know you have to have more.

I'm not sure if you saw or know of the palm I'm about to describe, but I saw it on the Osa peninsula in the rainforest. It was an understory palmate palm. I wasn't able to get close enough to it to get a picture or a better description but it looked similar to pictures of Chelyocarpus dianeurus that I have seen but that palm is native to Colombia. Any thoughts?

btw, we just swept the braves!

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Aloha Jeff and Mahalo for sharing the photos – I did Corcovado as the post-tour and have also been enjoying the photos posted by Kim, George and others on Kim’s separate thread.

To Mike and others who are wondering / concerned about how to cope with the hot and muggy weather in Corcovado – I followed the Resident Manager Luis’s tip and removed the mosquito netting from above my bed frame (there were no mosquitoes in my screened bungalow). Then each evening just before bed I tried something that helped me on those hot muggy nights when I used to live as a resident summer instructor at Boy Scout Camp in East Texas – I took a quick hot shower, waited for a few moments to drip dry without thoroughly towel-drying myself, and hit the bed with the overhead ceiling fan on. This really helps me feel cooler and doze right off to sleep on hot humid nights.

Dan on Big Island

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Jeff,

I hope you are going to post more photos. I took 9 rolls of film in just 3 days on the Osa, so I know you have to have more.

I'm not sure if you saw or know of the palm I'm about to describe, but I saw it on the Osa peninsula in the rainforest. It was an understory palmate palm. I wasn't able to get close enough to it to get a picture or a better description but it looked similar to pictures of Chelyocarpus dianeurus that I have seen but that palm is native to Colombia. Any thoughts?

btw, we just swept the braves!

Jake,

Sounds like you covered alot of ground yourself. It would be nice if you could put some pics. up, but I guess thats pretty hard with film prints. But, I would guess maybe you saw a Cryosophila sp. there with it's palmate leaves. Just hard to go on with little other info.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Aloha Jeff and Mahalo for sharing the photos – I did Corcovado as the post-tour and have also been enjoying the photos posted by Kim, George and others on Kim’s separate thread.

To Mike and others who are wondering / concerned about how to cope with the hot and muggy weather in Corcovado – I followed the Resident Manager Luis’s tip and removed the mosquito netting from above my bed frame (there were no mosquitoes in my screened bungalow). Then each evening just before bed I tried something that helped me on those hot muggy nights when I used to live as a resident summer instructor at Boy Scout Camp in East Texas – I took a quick hot shower, waited for a few moments to drip dry without thoroughly towel-drying myself, and hit the bed with the overhead ceiling fan on. This really helps me feel cooler and doze right off to sleep on hot humid nights.

Dan on Big Island

Dan,

Thanks for your comments. We also removed our netting the first night to be able to feel the fan over top of us. And we had no bugs what so ever inside our room. We then slept very comfortable every evening.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here's our guide showing us some bats. Sorry, I wish my pictures were better. But, you had to actually walk up inside this tree and squat down alittle and then look up over your head, and there they were.......basically right in YOUR FACE !! This was not a thing that most people were comfortable in doing to say the least.

Jeff

post-23-1212427118_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

One of many Bactris species growing.

Jeff

post-23-1212427376_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

A very nice Welfia again, these were everywhere.

Jeff

post-23-1212427436_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Angela,

Thanks. I was alittle slow in getting my pictures up. But, after the biennial was over, we flew back into Fort Lauderdale and slept at the house and then with Judy and Jim Glock, we left the following midnight ( Sunday,Mother's Day) and took a flight out of Miami for Peru for the Post Tour( which I will do a thread on),we were there for 4 days and then came home. Then we drove down to Key West to go fishing and "to quench our thirst" for a long 4 day Memorial weekend. So, when I got back, I wanted to just chill several days and nights. May was a very busy month for me...... :rolleyes: . More pics. to follow.

Jeff

Ok I'll let it slide... this time! :mrlooney:

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

On one of the days hike, we zigged-zagged along the coast in the wet forest, and then a couple of times the trail came right out to the water's edge.

Jeff

post-23-1212535427_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

While staying at the lodge, these 5 young french visitors were there and also had an interest in hiking through the park each day. They were alot of fun, but they had lots of problems with the rubber boots on their feet. They all ended up with sores and blisters on their feet.

Jeff

post-23-1212535770_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Another one of those neat trees that had a "sculpture" look to it.

Jeff

post-23-1212535929_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

One of the highlights of this whole trip to Corcovado was, that I got to see many (and quite old ones) Zamia fairchildiana's in habitat. I saw seedlings, and then very old plants with several feet of trunk. Probably the largest ones were 7-8' in height.You can see me in there for scale, as this was a "grandaddy" of a plant. I was in all my glory here! :drool:

Jeff

post-23-1212536207_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Here's another very old plant. I saw only 3-4 female plants that were holding cones. All the other plants had no cones at all, male or female.

Jeff

post-23-1212536507_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Sorry for the last post of the same plant. Anyways, here is one plant that I found that had 6 different heads to it. The most I have ever seen was one plant that had it's head chopped off, and then re-sprouted 2 different heads. This was pretty neat to see. :drool:

Jeff

post-23-1212536877_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On one of our hikes, we came across this waterfall.

post-23-1212598207_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

In the stream leading up to the waterfall, we came across this small croc. laying there.

post-23-1212598308_thumb.jpg

Southwest Ranches,Fl.