Corcovado

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 gcyao

gcyao

• IPS MEMBER
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:40 AM

When we got back to the beach, some of us took a dip. It was my first time in the Pacific Ocean and it was quite an experience. The waves came in batches, alternately weak and strong. When the weak waves were rolling in, the water level was only shin high. Then came the strong ones, and all of a sudden the water was chest high, and they had enough power to knock you off your feet!

The beach was near the mouth of the stream along which we trekked, and the water at the mouth was turbid, probably due to the muddy run-off from the rain. I forgot who mentioned that a croc was seen swimming there towards the bathers in the ocean. Good thing I was told after I got up out of the water or I might not have gone in in the first place. :unsure: :hmm: :lol:

After the dip, I went to the outdoor shower to wash off sand and salt, and I saw several big lizards near the shower. I approached to take pictures, but they scampered away except this guy who stopped in his track to take a look, so I was able to take this picture.

DSC03091e.jpg

After taking it, I tried to get a closer shot, but, to my surprise, it lifted it's front legs and run away in the manner of the Jesus Christ lizard, except he was not running on water, but rather on the ground. Could it be the JC lizard?

After a hefty lunch, I went around and saw a vulture rummaging in the trash of the ranger station. I had for several days seen these vultures flying high above, so this was a good opportunity to see what they looked like up close. I approached with camera ready, but it flew up onto the fallen tree trunk ready to fly away at the first sign of danger. Having already taken some pictures, I eased nearer and this is the picture I took just before it soared away.

DSC03095e.jpg
George Yao
Metro-Manila
Philippines

PalmTalk Advertising

#82 gcyao

gcyao

• IPS MEMBER
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:49 AM

On the way back to the lodge, we passed a trail along the coastline. Near the landing area of the lodge, we saw this grove of palms, maybe Bactris.

DSC03099e.jpg

A closer view:

DSC03100e.jpg
George Yao
Metro-Manila
Philippines

#83 gcyao

gcyao

• IPS MEMBER
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:53 AM

A close-up of the crown:

DSC03102e.jpg

My, those spines are long and sharp!

And here are some fruits:

DSC03106e.jpg

Anyone know what species it is?
George Yao
Metro-Manila
Philippines

#84 Jeff Searle

Jeff Searle

Camp #3- Marojejy Mtns.

• IPS MEMBER
  • 9,663 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:55 AM

George,

Nice photographs. I was wondering, what did your son think of Corcovado? Is he into nature and palms?

Jeff
Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.
and The Rainforest Collection.
Southwest Ranches,Fl.

#85 gcyao

gcyao

• IPS MEMBER
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:01 AM

Back at the lodge, I saw this large lizard.

DSC03108e.jpg

As far as I can tell, it is the same as the presumptive JC lizard at the ranger station. But this one let me got close, maybe inured to the presence of paparazzis! :lol:
George Yao
Metro-Manila
Philippines

#86 gcyao

gcyao

• IPS MEMBER
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:07 AM

This is my take of the sunset at the Corcovado Jungle Lodge.

DSC03123e.jpg

And, those were my wife, Aurora, and, I think, Jayanne shooting theirs.

DSC03126e.jpg
George Yao
Metro-Manila
Philippines

#87 gcyao

gcyao

• IPS MEMBER
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:38 AM

Finally, a sunset view of Caño Island in the distance.

DSC03127e.jpg

I accidentally got water into the inside of my camera lens that night and had to wait for the water to dry out before I could take good pictures again. Luckily, it took only one night in the airconned room of the Hilton Doubletree Cariari Hotel and there was no damage to the camera. :) :) :)
George Yao
Metro-Manila
Philippines

#88 KONADANTOM

KONADANTOM

• IPS MEMBER
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 11:40 AM

Aloha George and Mahalo for continuing to post photos – Corcovado was a really wonderful experience. The brown lizards in your recent photos do have the same body appearance as those JC lizards that other tour guides pointed out during my other tours. However, those JC lizards that the guides showed us were always bright green in color. I don’t know if all of the JC lizards are always green in color.

In my yard here on Big Island we do have lots of “gecko” lizards - some are green while others are brown.

Pura vida!

Dan
Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai
Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"
Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources
Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture
LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

#89 Jeff in Costa Rica

Jeff in Costa Rica

• IPS MEMBER
  • 6,291 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

Kim, after my recent trip to Corcovado, I looked at all your pictures again and enjoyed them a second time! I'm glad that we all went on the same hike through the park, it's great seeing it from different vantage points. No wonder I kept feeling dejavu when I was there. I had seen your pictures first!

George, I really enjoyed your photos too! Especially the sunset over Caño Island.
Regarding the JC lizard (Basilisk) there are brown ones and green ones although I mostly see the brown ones in this area. They really can run across water. I startled one on the pool deck one time and it took a short cut across the corner of the pool, right over top of the water. It's funny to watch them running on their back legs either on land or water! Thanks for the pictures.

¡Pura vida!

Jeff Anderson
Costa Rica

#90 gcyao

gcyao

• IPS MEMBER
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

George,

Nice photographs. I was wondering, what did your son think of Corcovado? Is he into nature and palms?

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks. Yours are better!
He said not much to do there, altho he enjoyed nature while there. :(
He learned a lot about palms during the Biennial, but he is not into palms. :( :( :(

Dan,

Pura Vida! The green one must be so much more beautiful! :lol:

Jeff in Costa Rica,

Thanks. Your pictures are so much better than mine. Thanks also for the info on the JC lizard. It's cool to realize that I had the privilege of seeing the JC lizard in person, especially to see one in action eventho not on water. :) :) :) By the way, comparing our pictures of the waterfall, the volume of water had increased a lot!

Pura Vida!
George Yao
Metro-Manila
Philippines

#91 paulgila

paulgila

pohonkelapa

• IPS MEMBER
  • 13,081 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 01:21 PM

great pix & narration,everyone! made me feel like i was there!

maybe i should try & not be so snarky in my travel posts & just tell an interesting story like that.......

nah! :lol:
the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

#92 Ray Tampa

Ray Tampa

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 4,906 posts
  • Location:Interbay Peninsula of Tampa, Florida, USA and Bokeelia, Florida, USA

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:35 AM

Is there a bad photo in the bunch? Those shots are amazing and several are frame-able. Thanks for posting these.
Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA
subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA
subtropical USDA Zone 10B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users