IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corcovado

Kim

When we got back to the beach, some of us took a dip. It was my first time in the Pacific Ocean and it was quite an experience. The waves came in batches, alternately weak and strong. When the weak waves were rolling in, the water level was only shin high. Then came the strong ones, and all of a sudden the water was chest high, and they had enough power to knock you off your feet!

The beach was near the mouth of the stream along which we trekked, and the water at the mouth was turbid, probably due to the muddy run-off from the rain. I forgot who mentioned that a croc was seen swimming there towards the bathers in the ocean. Good thing I was told after I got up out of the water or I might not have gone in in the first place. :unsure::hmm::lol:

After the dip, I went to the outdoor shower to wash off sand and salt, and I saw several big lizards near the shower. I approached to take pictures, but they scampered away except this guy who stopped in his track to take a look, so I was able to take this picture.

post-805-1218893973_thumb.jpg

After taking it, I tried to get a closer shot, but, to my surprise, it lifted it's front legs and run away in the manner of the Jesus Christ lizard, except he was not running on water, but rather on the ground. Could it be the JC lizard?

After a hefty lunch, I went around and saw a vulture rummaging in the trash of the ranger station. I had for several days seen these vultures flying high above, so this was a good opportunity to see what they looked like up close. I approached with camera ready, but it flew up onto the fallen tree trunk ready to fly away at the first sign of danger. Having already taken some pictures, I eased nearer and this is the picture I took just before it soared away.

post-805-1218896104_thumb.jpg

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

On the way back to the lodge, we passed a trail along the coastline. Near the landing area of the lodge, we saw this grove of palms, maybe Bactris.

post-805-1218897711_thumb.jpg

A closer view:

post-805-1218897785_thumb.jpg

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

A close-up of the crown:

post-805-1218898181_thumb.jpg

My, those spines are long and sharp!

And here are some fruits:

post-805-1218898232_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what species it is?

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

George,

Nice photographs. I was wondering, what did your son think of Corcovado? Is he into nature and palms?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Back at the lodge, I saw this large lizard.

post-805-1218898480_thumb.jpg

As far as I can tell, it is the same as the presumptive JC lizard at the ranger station. But this one let me got close, maybe inured to the presence of paparazzis! :lol:

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

This is my take of the sunset at the Corcovado Jungle Lodge.

post-805-1218898915_thumb.jpg

And, those were my wife, Aurora, and, I think, Jayanne shooting theirs.

post-805-1218898943_thumb.jpg

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Finally, a sunset view of Caño Island in the distance.

post-805-1218899309_thumb.jpg

I accidentally got water into the inside of my camera lens that night and had to wait for the water to dry out before I could take good pictures again. Luckily, it took only one night in the airconned room of the Hilton Doubletree Cariari Hotel and there was no damage to the camera. :) :) :)

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

Aloha George and Mahalo for continuing to post photos – Corcovado was a really wonderful experience. The brown lizards in your recent photos do have the same body appearance as those JC lizards that other tour guides pointed out during my other tours. However, those JC lizards that the guides showed us were always bright green in color. I don’t know if all of the JC lizards are always green in color.

In my yard here on Big Island we do have lots of “gecko” lizards - some are green while others are brown.

Pura vida!

Dan

Dan on the Big Island of Hawai'i / Dani en la Isla Grande de Hawai

Events Photographer roving paparazzi "konadanni"

Master Gardener, University of Hawai’i College of Tropical Agriculture and Human Resources

Certified Arborist, International Society of Arboriculture

LinkedIn & email: konadanni@gmail.com / Facebook & Twitter & Google Plus: DanTom BigIsland

Kim, after my recent trip to Corcovado, I looked at all your pictures again and enjoyed them a second time! I'm glad that we all went on the same hike through the park, it's great seeing it from different vantage points. No wonder I kept feeling dejavu when I was there. I had seen your pictures first!

George, I really enjoyed your photos too! Especially the sunset over Caño Island.

Regarding the JC lizard (Basilisk) there are brown ones and green ones although I mostly see the brown ones in this area. They really can run across water. I startled one on the pool deck one time and it took a short cut across the corner of the pool, right over top of the water. It's funny to watch them running on their back legs either on land or water! Thanks for the pictures.

¡Pura vida!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

George,

Nice photographs. I was wondering, what did your son think of Corcovado? Is he into nature and palms?

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks. Yours are better!

He said not much to do there, altho he enjoyed nature while there. :(

He learned a lot about palms during the Biennial, but he is not into palms. :( :( :(

Dan,

Pura Vida! The green one must be so much more beautiful! :lol:

Jeff in Costa Rica,

Thanks. Your pictures are so much better than mine. Thanks also for the info on the JC lizard. It's cool to realize that I had the privilege of seeing the JC lizard in person, especially to see one in action eventho not on water. :) :) :) By the way, comparing our pictures of the waterfall, the volume of water had increased a lot!

Pura Vida!

George Yao

Metro-Manila

Philippines

• 1 month later...

great pix & narration,everyone! made me feel like i was there!

maybe i should try & not be so snarky in my travel posts & just tell an interesting story like that.......

nah! :lol:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Is there a bad photo in the bunch? Those shots are amazing and several are frame-able. Thanks for posting these.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B