• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Moringa drouhardii

Eric in Orlando

Here is our Moringa drouhardii. This is a Madagascar native and will grow a thick swollen trunk but with short branches and weepy foliage. Its fast growing and very drought tolerant. Looks like a tree from a Dr. Suess book. This is in our Arid Garden, it gets no irrigation.

img_1351.jpg

img_1352.jpg

• Like 5

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Planted these Moringa drouhardii about 3 years ago in pots. Put them in the ground last Spring..they really took off after that...this pic from July '07.

Today the one in the center is about 15 feet tall. I cut off a couple feet of that one a few months ago (under power lines)...it bifurcated but only one of the branches survived.

Moringa1.jpg

• Like 2

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

• 11 years later...

Any updated photos?

Is anyone growing Moringa Hildebrandtii or Ovalifolia? Or know of the actual hardiness limit of these three? Thanks.

Hildebrandtii:

999ca3.jpg

d705e49158af523b8c1af0de31c32a91.jpg

Ovalifolia

file.php?id=69942file.php?id=69941

Edited by Meangreen94z
  • Like 3

I have a few small potted specimens grown from seed collected at Xmas......very fast growing from seed, already 3' tall
94228611_576490266307340_428079549306109952_n.jpg.464e003e2eb39b082adb763e80fe27cd.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks. They look extremely lush in your climate. I have a small Hildebrandtii that put quite a bit of growth on it last year.

• 2 years later...
On 4/26/2020 at 5:36 PM, Meangreen94z said:

Thanks. They look extremely lush in your climate. I have a small Hildebrandtii that put quite a bit of growth on it last year.

Did you lose this in the freeze?  I've been wanting to try a Drouhardii but they are hard to come by.  The other Moringas are starting to grab my attention as they pop up when I'm searching for Drouhardii info.